What turned you into a Disney geek?

whiterosered

My reason for being a disney geek is going to be a major buzz kill but here goes.

Growing up, my biological father was constantly in and out of my life. With my mom, I had it great. She divorced my biological father when I was two and married my step-dad when I was four, so the life I've lived now really is the only life I've ever had and ever remember. I was raised by two people who loved each other and both loved me. God blessed me with a hero for a mom and a man who never had to be my dad, but stepped up to the plate and gladly loved me as if I was his own and I was always be greatful for that. Things with my biological father were never that great. He was consistently gone and when he was there, I didn't want him there. He was (and is) an alcoholic. He was (and is) a drug addict. While he never raised a hand to me, he was emotionally abusive which, for me, was just as bad.

As a child (and to this day) Disney was my escape. When I was with my biological father and didn't want to be, or was just hurting because of the way he is in general, I could watch a Disney movie or turn on the Disney channel and completely forget about the pain he had caused me.

Specfically, I became obsessed with Disney World the summer I turned 19 when I decided I was done with my biological father once and for all, was completely kicking him out of my life and was changing my last name to my step-father's name. My two best friends and I went to wdw for a week not too long after I made this decision. For the entire time I was there, I was able to just have a good time and completely forget about my pain. It was a release and a much needed escape all in one.

I've been in love with wdw ever since. I don't want anyone out there thinking I've had a terrible life. As I've said, life with my mom was great. But ever since I was a kid, any time I have needed an escape from the drama with my biological father, Disney was there for me.

Thanks, Disney. :wave:

Crazy Harry

As a child and teenager, I had visited WDW several times with my family, and while a fan, I never considered myself an addict. When I was 19 or 20 or so, I was messing around on the computer and discovered I could download attraction music and narration from the internet. This awoke my current facination with WDW. I would listen to ride music/narration constantly, even falling asleep to it. SSE was one of my favorites. There is something magical about the Jeremy Iron narration and music. From there I decided I would take a 24 hour road trip to WDW with my sister the following year. It was the best trip and ever since I have been hooked.

Disney05

I too grew up watching the Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights. Was a Winnie the Pooh fan from early on. Didn't get to go to WDW until 91 & 92, just me and my wife. Then we brought our kids for the first time in 2005. That's when it really happened. Don't really know why but something inside snapped. Now I'm a total, 100% Disney geek. :wave:

Lisalyn

Well when the park first opened early 70's my parents would drag us kids...literally! The first once or twice was ok but after that we were like STOP!!! LOL

Then once my daughter turned 10 my older sister (who is a certified Disney NUT! - she goes no less then 4-5x a year), anyways she kept on with the "when are you taking Linds" - she kept on and on until our first trip 3 years ago. She helped me plan it, do plans and ADR's - she was GREAT! Well, that was great and that's history! LOL We went back again last year over Thanksgiving for our annual trip and are going back again this year! In fact we leave in 10 days :D

Long story short, and sorry this has been long (lol) - once I went back in 2008, I was done cooked :lol: I fell in love with Disney, the lands, the CM's, the aura, the foods, the sites, sounds and smells....and all there is to see and do! Now I'm just plum crazy about Disney!

mamamouse

I have always been a Disney fanatic loved the movies had everything mickey mouse you could think of and and shopped at the Disney store for as far back as I can remember but what did it for me vacation wise isn't something you might expect......the first time I ever went I saw one show and one parade and only rode one ride, I went with my grandmother and she was very sick so we sat in the shade and didn't do much at all while we tried to pass time talking to other ppl in the park(my aunt n uncle were off with their young kids n were going to leave my grandma sick and alone in the sun) It wasn't a very fun time and I vowed that one day I would experience it properly in 2003 my oldest daughter was 11 months and we went to Disney, everything there made me cry and although I'd only gone once before and it wasn't much of a fun time it gave me a feeling I can't really describe, it was like in a way it brought back all the memories I had ever shared with my grandma .I remember watching the fireworks n sobbing thinking how much she would've loved to see that, and now I was there with my baby n it felt like Gran was there too.I then decided that I wanted my children to be familiar with it and one day take my own grandchild, everytime I've gone since I cry n remember Grandma, I feel like when I'm there she is too!

ABigBrassBand

I think it was just repeatedly being surrounded by it my whole life, and then when I started to go back and look at Walt's old animations (SotS comes to mind), it just caught on and here I am. Oh, and VMK played a huge role in this.

DRC68

Simple answer:

This site!!! I'll admit that I've always been a huge fan, but when I stumbled upon this website while planning a 2 week trip a few years ago...people can't shut me up! Is there a program I can join to turn this addiction into just a habit? =)

DiPSU224

My story is all mushy and lovey, so get ready to :hurl: :lol:

My now husband and I had always had a long distance relationship. We dated for 4 years before we were engaged. He is Canadian and unfortunately due to a poor immigration attorney who took our money (and advantage of us), immigration issues forced us to be apart even for almost a full year after our wedding.

In August 2003 we decided to take our first trip together. WDW was our choice. The week we had spent together was so magical and blissful. All that mattered was we were together and were without a care in the world. After we got home, I tried to hold on to all those feelings any way that I could. I scoured the internet for anything Disney I could get my hands on. Hearing a certain BGM or seeing a picture would remind me of a feeling or a moment from the trip. It became an obsession. Immediately I began planning our next trip. I had visited numerous time before with family and friends, but something about visiting with him made it completely different. It's become such a huge part of our lives now.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I'm just a parks geek...

..but a geek none-the-less.

It's my earliest, fondest memory of vacations with my Dad, Mom and Sisters. We used to go on a LOT of vacations but nothing ever hit me like going to WDW for the first time. My dad it his mission to point out all the amazing details of everything around me..from the topiary to the hair on the pirates leg.

And over the years when I was old enough I was lucky enough to be the first one to share all those details with my wife, both my kids and my best friend and his family for their first times.

Plus once I found out all you nuts were out there on this site, there was no turning back. :)

foreverbelle

Oh gee, I think I was always a fan and just loved to go. But for me was probably when I went in HS, and just fell in love with it all. But when I went on my honeymoon, with my husband and I saw his joy. It was like magic. Hard to explain really but it was just like this is my place....

Mickey92

The Music of Disney does it for me I just love the music and then that goes onto absolutely falling in love with mainly the Parks, then found this site which I loved and do still love, its awesome! But, no I went to Disneyworld at a very young age and have always been going... I just love it there! But this site really accelerated my love and passion for Disney, Disney Music (www.dtuneslive.com), Disney World :):):):sohappy:

WDWmazprty

The Music of Disney does it for me I just love the music and then that goes onto absolutely falling in love with mainly the Parks, then found this site which I loved and do still love, its awesome! But, no I went to Disneyworld at a very young age and have always been going... I just love it there! But this site really accelerated my love and passion for Disney, Disney Music (www.dtuneslive.com), Disney World :):):):sohappy:

Im on dtuneslive too! do you have the same screename?

WDWmazprty

I have now changed my Screen-name at DTunes! I am now Mickey92, easier to identify :) yours still the same screen-name as here?

Actually my wife has the screename here :p (Because I originally started out on dtunes but then she took over my account. Of course I came back to dtunes and had to get a different screename.lol)

Im wdwpiratemaz :wave:

Mickey92

Actually my wife has the screename here :p (Because I originally started out on dtunes but then she took over my account. Of course I came back to dtunes and had to get a different screename.lol)

Im wdwpiratemaz :wave:

Ah right ok! Well, I tried to change mine to Mickey92... but it didn't work even though it said my details were changed... :/ Hello though :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom