What to give Cast Members?

minniemickeyfan

Original Poster
Every trip all of us at the parks run across great people who do so much to make our trip special I feel, and I would like to make up something small- cards, candy? something that would be small to carry but would be great to give to the CM's.
Anyone ever done something like this? Is this going to far? Thanks for your thoughts.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I carry small business-sized "Thank You" cards, printed on one side with a Disney graphic and on the other with "Thank you for adding some special magic to the Montgomery family vacation 2001"

Some CMs have been very appreciative, others just said a simple "Thanks".

Tom Morrow

The best thing you can do for a CM is stop by Guest Relations and give them compliments. Remember their name and work location. CMs receive recognition when you do this which is first received by their leaders.

SFMarine

The best thing you can do for a CM is stop by Guest Relations and give them compliments. Remember their name and work location. CMs receive recognition when you do this which is first received by their leaders.

This is probably the best way. Tips always work too I guess.

disneylovin

We also go into Guest relations with thanks. They have cards there that you can fill out. Remember basic time of day, CM's name and where, they, if I remember correctly, do have space for that info. It makes Guest Services happy and it's something that gets forwarded to the "right" people.

We have also stopped management CMs and told them about the great CM we just met, they do write the info down to keep for later.

This is probably the best way. Tips always work too I guess.

I have never tipped a mousekeeper (been to WDW twice) because I did not know it was custom. I have stayed at other hotels before and have never tipped there so I didn't think it was appropriate to tip at WDW. After reading this thread I have a new understanding but would like to know how much should I be tipping per day? We are a family of 6 staying at a Value Resort because it's what we can afford.

lilclerk

I have never tipped a mousekeeper (been to WDW twice) because I did not know it was custom. I have stayed at other hotels before and have never tipped there so I didn't think it was appropriate to tip at WDW. After reading this thread I have a new understanding but would like to know how much should I be tipping per day? We are a family of 6 staying at a Value Resort because it's what we can afford.

I usually tip $1/person/day, but I usually only stay with 2-3 people. As with other tips, I'd say to leave what you're comfortable with. The best advice, though, is to leave the tip daily as you may have different mousekeepers during your stay. :wave:

RonAnnArbor

Please read through the topics we have on Tipping here and to what is appropriate - that will take this discussion too far away from what the OP was asking about -- incidentally, you should tip at EVERY hotel you stay at, not just WDW, so if you haven't been doing that you should read up on tipping in general.

As to gifts to the Cast Members -- I wouldn't....Remember their name and let Guest Relations know, or send a letter to Guest Relations after your visit and compliment the Cast Member by name, date, and location.

The last thing you want as a cast member is to have stuff shoved at you while you are working, putting stuff in your pockets where you are trying to carry the very few items you are allowed to have with you at work anyway, let alone putting other stuff in. Notes for Mousekeeping are fine, but don't give gifts to CM's. If you want, trade pins. Otherwise, verbal recognition is much more appreciated.

Captain Hank

Please read through the topics we have on Tipping here and to what is appropriate - that will take this discussion too far away from what the OP was asking about -- incidentally, you should tip at EVERY hotel you stay at, not just WDW, so if you haven't been doing that you should read up on tipping in general.

As to gifts to the Cast Members -- I wouldn't....Remember their name and let Guest Relations know, or send a letter to Guest Relations after your visit and compliment the Cast Member by name, date, and location.

The last thing you want as a cast member is to have stuff shoved at you while you are working, putting stuff in your pockets where you are trying to carry the very few items you are allowed to have with you at work anyway, let alone putting other stuff in. Notes for Mousekeeping are fine, but don't give gifts to CM's. If you want, trade pins. Otherwise, verbal recognition is much more appreciated.
This.

Be aware that most roles are non-tipped positions, and CMs in non-tipped roles can get in trouble for accepting tips. Honestly, a simple "thank you" can really mean a lot. I can also attest that feedback given to Guest Relations and Guest Communications does reach the Cast Member in question...after it goes by several levels of management (which is usually a good thing).

Please get the CM's name--we change locations frequently throughout the day, and "the Cast Member taking Fastpasses this afternoon" doesn't really help much. I once had a Guest try to leave positive feedback for the "safari driver that was wearing glasses." When I asked for more information to try to identify the CM, I got "he had short hair." :(

Incidentally, if you're planning on giving feedback, it couldn't hurt to verify that the CM is wearing his/her real nametag. Even the best CMs forget theirs once in a while and become Chris or Pat from Orlando for a day or two.

loveofamouse

I think this should be said. Tipping isn't something you should be doing. Tipping isn't expected nor should those employees feel it's a right. Housekeeping is not a job of tips like waitressing. Waitresses, and other tip generating jobs, are only paid about $2-3/hr and have to fill out a different tax form and claim the tips as income. Other jobs like housekeeping, coffee making, luggage carrying, etc. are not. Do not feel you must tip these people just because you feel they make a low salary. Do you tip your cashiers at the grocery store? Do you tip your child's teachers? If you feel someone is doing an exceptional job, go ahead and tip if you feel. If you've never tipped housekeeping, don't feel you must because a few people on a forum told you it's a must. Some hotels already charge extra for housekeeping services in some of the fees charged. On the same note, don't feel you must tip a waitress 15-20%. Tip by how they did their job. I used to be a waitress. I can tell you if I didn't serve a table 110% to the best of my abilities, I didn't hope for a 15% tip.

If you feel a CM was doing above and beyond, mention them to guest services. If you feel the need to tip service staff, do so. Just remember, they are paid an above minimum wage salary to do their job. Part of their job is to do a service. Don't feel that they won't be able to feed their families or whatever because you didn't leave a tip.

RonAnnArbor

I think this should be said. Tipping isn't something you should be doing. Tipping isn't expected nor should those employees feel it's a right. Housekeeping is not a job of tips like waitressing. Waitresses, and other tip generating jobs, are only paid about $2-3/hr and have to fill out a different tax form and claim the tips as income. Other jobs like housekeeping, coffee making, luggage carrying, etc. are not. Do not feel you must tip these people just because you feel they make a low salary. Do you tip your cashiers at the grocery store? Do you tip your child's teachers? If you feel someone is doing an exceptional job, go ahead and tip if you feel. If you've never tipped housekeeping, don't feel you must because a few people on a forum told you it's a must. Some hotels already charge extra for housekeeping services in some of the fees charged. On the same note, don't feel you must tip a waitress 15-20%. Tip by how they did their job. I used to be a waitress. I can tell you if I didn't serve a table 110% to the best of my abilities, I didn't hope for a 15% tip.

If you feel a CM was doing above and beyond, mention them to guest services. If you feel the need to tip service staff, do so. Just remember, they are paid an above minimum wage salary to do their job. Part of their job is to do a service. Don't feel that they won't be able to feed their families or whatever because you didn't leave a tip.

Actually, you should probably read up on Tipping etiquette as well. But AGAIN -- we have different topic postings for tipping -- this post is about GIVING THINGS to cast members....

elisatonks

you be amazed how much a simple thank you can make a cast members day, if you really want to thank us CM's the BEST thing you can do is let Guest Relations know, management make a really big deal of these, and these also end up on our record cards and can really help a CM who is trying to move up through the company.

buseegal

reporting good by cm's is important at any park not just Disney. i work at a small park in Pa and a big thing is made about guest comments good or bad. that comment to guest srevices could be very important for that cm.

I have an entire folder of the cards and letters and what nots I received from guests when I was a CM. It always meant a lot to me when a family went out of their way to show me they appreciated me. Granted most of those came from my time in entertainment and I was just passing the thanks and love on to Mickey or Minnie but it still meant a lot.
The characters love getting special letters from your kids, hand-drawn pictures of them or even ripped out coloring pages.

It was especially thoughtful when I receieved Christmas cards during the holidays. Holidays at Disney are fantastic but definetly one of the most stressful times for CM's and that's when they need to hear your appreciation the most.

One of the cutest things a guest ever did was give me a tiny bag filled with glitter/confetti and a note saying they wanted to share the pixie dust with me as thanks for sharing the pixie dust with them.

TheBeatles

Definitely go to Guest Relations with a compliment and COMPLETE description of the CM.

I have my very first Guest recognition letter framed on my dresser.

Thrill Seeker

This.

Be aware that most roles are non-tipped positions, and CMs in non-tipped roles can get in trouble for accepting tips. Honestly, a simple "thank you" can really mean a lot. I can also attest that feedback given to Guest Relations and Guest Communications does reach the Cast Member in question...after it goes by several levels of management (which is usually a good thing).

Please get the CM's name--we change locations frequently throughout the day, and "the Cast Member taking Fastpasses this afternoon" doesn't really help much. I once had a Guest try to leave positive feedback for the "safari driver that was wearing glasses." When I asked for more information to try to identify the CM, I got "he had short hair." :(

Incidentally, if you're planning on giving feedback, it couldn't hurt to verify that the CM is wearing his/her real nametag. Even the best CMs forget theirs once in a while and become Chris or Pat from Orlando for a day or two.

But if you want to complement Chris from Orlando at Splash or Big Thunder Mountain, that's fine too... :lol:

This past trip in March we gave Rapunzel and Flynn Rider presents. My DD and I had lots of pics from our previous couple of trips that we had had with them and made a collage from them for Flynn. I thought that he was going to cry over it. He was so surprised and happy about his pictures. :) We gave Rapunzel a rose and have a collage for her for our next trip coming up.
We also have made several friends over at the Pirates League. I am planning on bringing them something sweet this next trip too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom