What to expect in late August

bmarkelon

So I had always thought that we would never have a problem taking the kids out of school for our Disney trips. I was wrong, my daughter's teacher was so great about it but I felt so guilty. So, we have our first August trip booked, yikes! I took great advice to hold out for when FL is back in school.
Our dates are Aug 16-24. Just wondering what to expect as far as temps and crowds. We usually would try for April, May or October trips.
Any feedback at all is greatly appreciated!
Also, is it as important to try to have all my meal reservations?

disneygirl1

So I had always thought that we would never have a problem taking the kids out of school for our Disney trips. I was wrong, my daughter's teacher was so great about it but I felt so guilty. So, we have our first August trip booked, yikes! I took great advice to hold out for when FL is back in school.
Our dates are Aug 16-24. Just wondering what to expect as far as temps and crowds. We usually would try for April, May or October trips.

Hi there! I was there around those same exact August dates last year and will be returning again on August 31st of this year!! :sohappy:

I have to say that I was pleseantly surprised that crowds were not that bad in the middle of August... Yes there were waits for rides but nothing crazy!!! We were able to do most of the main attractions at MK without having to get fastpasses one day. As far as the temps go! It will be HOTTER then heck, with the occasional pop up t-storm in the afternoon. Just try to schedule afternoon breaks back at the resort and go back to the parks after sun down. We found doing that worked well for us!

Have a blast! I know I am counting down the days for August to hurry up and get here! :wave:

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Yeah, it will be hot, plan for afternoon breaks or at least some long lunches. Pools can be your friend.

How busy the restaurants will get will probably depend on if they're offering free dining to the general public at that time. This year, I'm not sure they're doing that, I went to mousesavers.com and it seems like the big general-public offer for that time is deep discounts on rooms. Nonetheless, many of the restaurants are bound to fill up, certainly during the peak dining hours and throughout weekends. It would be a good idea to make reservations based on what you think your schedule will be like. You can always try to cancel and reschedule, but this way, you've got something.

Crowds are often light that time of year, because a good chunk of the country will be back to school by that time, not just Florida. But you never know.

Upvote 0

BizEmom

It will be HOT as blazes! We go every August because I just can't pass up Free Dining. And, speaking of Free Dining, if it is offered during those dates you should definitely plan your reservations ahead of time.

Take full advantage of AM Extra Magic Hours- before it gets too hot. Remember that you can get free ice water at the counter service locations. Disney sells a water spritzer fan combo for about $17- Walmart sells it for $6. Bring some disposable ponchos from the camping section of Walmart or Target because it rains every afternoon, but only for a short time. It's actually nice because it cools everything down.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

Original Poster
Wow, thank you guys so much! I will keep checking if there is free dp. I'm so crazy organizing our trips I will probably make all the reservations ahead of time. We saved our Mickey spray fans last trip and will definitely bring them. We usually hit the pool in the afternoon anyway for naps and a break. So it sounds like we should manage no problem! After this crazy winter I am ready for this trip now!

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

The crowds will be much lower than July and the rest of August but not as low as September. It will be hot as everyone else mentioned and rain is common but usually it only lasts for a little while. We had quite a few downpours in the evening when we were there.

Dining reservations are always recommended and if free dining starts up around that time... well dining reservations will be absolutely necessary!

You will probably see the fall decorations go up while you're there as well... depending on when the first halloween party is!

Upvote 0

Birdflu

expect rain. a lot of rain. every day. However, it does not last all day usually and can be good because it cools things off and gets rid of crowds. so you just have to throw on a poncho for a bit or go in shops.

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

hot hot humid and humid. expect daily afternoon thundershowers but just bring a poncho and smile while you watch the park clear out from people thinking it's going to rain all day. it's florida, it doesn't rain all day long in the summer in general but it's rare to not have afternoon storms. when we go in the summer we like to stay on site so we get to the parks early, stay until about 2-ish go back to the hotel for a few hours chill/nap shower and change for dinner, do a sit down dinner then hit emh until the park closes. the best thing about summer is the 2-3am closure time (emh).

Upvote 0

atsolomon

When I went in August 2008 it was crazy hot and humid. We dodged a hurricane and we only got rained on once during the week we there! And we had a fantastic time.

The crowds were ok, though on extra magic hours at MK the Sunday night before Labor Day Monday was as crowded as I have ever seen the park. EPCOT that night was practically empty, though.

We did have ponchos with us and the one rainy afternoon we had, they were really useful. AK emptied out and we walked on any attraction we wanted.

Like everyone says, take afternoon pool breaks, drink lots of cold water, etc. You should make your ADR's when your six month window opens assuming that you'll get free dining. If you don't get it, you can cancel what you don't want.

You might also want to get the whole family used to taking long walks on hot days during the summer leading up to your vacation. ;-)

Have fun!

Upvote 0

MITCH 112198

We are going the same time almost we will be arriving on the 19th till the 27th and we have the free dining already. I also didn't think i would care about taking daughter out of school ut she loves it and her teacher is also great, so instead of our normal after labor day or beginning of dec and end of jan. we are going in august also...

Upvote 0

spaceghost

We're also going then - 18th to the 25th. We pulled our oldest daughter for a week on our last trip and I really felt like she fell behind some, so we're going in August this time. Maybe when she's older, we'll go back during the school year. It also works out this year as my wife will "quasi-voluntarily" be off of work in August. She and I went to Orlando about 10 years ago in mid-August and it was hot, but it didn't bother us - we kind of enjoyed the change from our Maine summers. The afternoon showers though can be counted on almost like clockwork.

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

Original Poster
I've heard about these afternoon showers. I will be sure to buy some ponchos to bring along. Sounds like a quick way too cool off a little.

Upvote 0

dizzney

We've been there several times in August and it will be either hot or VERY hot. We're hoping for hot as we will overlap you 8/13 thru 8/21.

if VERY hot, we will be freezing those water bottles and carrying them around, either way, you manage to still ahve fun despite the heat as youre at WDW

Upvote 0

lisak09

We've gone three times so far in late August and are back again this August. As everyone else has said it will be VERY hot but we don't usually find the crowds too bad. We booked in December and got free dining so i guess the restaurants will be busy and you should probably book ahead. We're nearly at the 180 day mark so i'll be booking our ADR's soon! Can't wait:).

P.S Have a fantastic time!

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest

It is going to be Hot Hot Hot! And the crowds will be heavier then you are used to during the times you previously have traveled. As for meal reservations, absolutely yes! If there is some place that you really want to eat, make those ADR's. Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

buseegal

we were there those dates last aug, had some stronger storms which made gettin to some ressies hard with 6 kids and a scooter. was very very hot. 2 of storms were too strong for ponchos and bad lightling. just be prepared to get inside sometimes.

Upvote 0

Disney05

We were there late August beginning of Sept in 09. Don't recall any rain. But it was hot and humid. But that didn't bother us at all. We may have to cancel our May trip this year, :mad:, and move it to the second week of August, which I'm a bit nervous about. Have never been there that time of year.

Upvote 0

Korfar

We have went at that time of August twice before. The best 2 trips we ever made with regards to crowds. We are going again this year from the 20-30. We got the free dining since we booked in October. I have a feeling this August will be more crowded then our past trips were. I am seeing more and more people on message boards going the same time. I always go in value season and it keeps getting busier and busier. I don't think there is a down time anymore. It's still a blast though. Any time is better than June/July and Chirstmas time. It is just too crowded at those times.

Upvote 0

momofoneson

We have went at that time of August twice before. The best 2 trips we ever made with regards to crowds. We are going again this year from the 20-30. We got the free dining since we booked in October. I have a feeling this August will be more crowded then our past trips were. I am seeing more and more people on message boards going the same time. I always go in value season and it keeps getting busier and busier. I don't think there is a down time anymore. It's still a blast though. Any time is better than June/July and Chirstmas time. It is just too crowded at those times.

We are going August 20th to 30th too and also staying at CSR!!! Have a wonderful vacation. We get to make our ADR's tomorrow!!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom