What to expect in late August

bmarkelon

So I had always thought that we would never have a problem taking the kids out of school for our Disney trips. I was wrong, my daughter's teacher was so great about it but I felt so guilty. So, we have our first August trip booked, yikes! I took great advice to hold out for when FL is back in school.
Our dates are Aug 16-24. Just wondering what to expect as far as temps and crowds. We usually would try for April, May or October trips.
Any feedback at all is greatly appreciated!
Also, is it as important to try to have all my meal reservations?

PeoplemoverTTA

We're arriving on Saturday, August 20, and I expect the first two days to be pretty busy, but then the crowds should lighten significantly starting on Monday 8/22 (Central Florida schools are back in session that day).

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

Original Poster
Our late August trip became a mid august trip when we went to book airfare. Our new dates are the 13th-21st instead. Is this going to make a major difference crowd wise?

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

We have been this time frame for the past 2 years and this year will be there 8/19 - 8/25. It is hot..last year much hotter there than in 2009 but the crowds are very do able. We try to do MK and HS EMH. Take time for sit down meals for lunch to get a break from the heat. We tend to try to head back to the resort for a rest/swim and refresh before heading back out for the evening. I would suggest making as many ADR's as possible because the free dining will start on 19th so everything will be busy. Drink lots of water and duck inside and watch lots of shows and you all will do just fine!!! OH..almsost forgot....if its really HOT AK is park i would avoid at the height of the day. Make a ADR at Tucker House for 8 am on a day the the park opens at 9 and this will get you deeper into the park at open and give you head start on the folks coming from the gate!!! The did not get to me unti we spent time at AK....its JUNGLE HOT ....and not a lot of places to get out of the heat. Have a great trip!!

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

Original Poster
Crowd wise should not be too much difference...it should seem pretty much the same!!!! :)

We have been this time frame for the past 2 years and this year will be there 8/19 - 8/25. It is hot..last year much hotter there than in 2009 but the crowds are very do able. We try to do MK and HS EMH. Take time for sit down meals for lunch to get a break from the heat. We tend to try to head back to the resort for a rest/swim and refresh before heading back out for the evening. I would suggest making as many ADR's as possible because the free dining will start on 19th so everything will be busy. Drink lots of water and duck inside and watch lots of shows and you all will do just fine!!! OH..almsost forgot....if its really HOT AK is park i would avoid at the height of the day. Make a ADR at Tucker House for 8 am on a day the the park opens at 9 and this will get you deeper into the park at open and give you head start on the folks coming from the gate!!! The did not get to me
unti we spent time at AK....its JUNGLE HOT ....and not a lot of places to get out of the heat. Have a great trip!!
Thanks so much for your help. We do have a Tusker house earlier res, always try for that one. I just booked all my ADRs and was surprised by how tough some of them were, people are definitely booking early for that time.

Upvote 0

Diane Hughess

We'll be there 19-28 with free dining also (had to be booked by 12/20/2010) All our ADRs are made! Two years ago we went at this time of year. SUPER hot! Rain every day! But we actually made it to all the rides in MK in one day! Granted, it was a LONG day, but we went on everything. AND stayed for SpectroMagic. The only bummer was we made it to the waterpark twice, and as soon as we were settled and had our feet barely in the water, everything shut down due to an approaching storm, and we spent over an hour under an umbrella for it to pass! Since we were soaking wet, we had no desire to spend any more time in the waterpark!! All of Disney becomes a waterpark!

Upvote 0

SeaCastle

We were there the 12th-18th last year. It was hot (but not terrible) and it was crowded, but definitely less than it would be in June or July.

In 2008 we tried the 22nd-28th. A tropical storm kept things cool, interesting, and barely crowded. Longest line we saw was 40 minutes for MGM...most lines were under 20, even for e tickets.

This summer, we're trying for the 28th through September 3rd.

Upvote 0

rob_and_kate

We have been thinking about going mid August and are both limited to the school holidays and our only options for a two week holiday is summer, easter (which we have previously done) or Christmas.

The one thing that slightly concerns me is if the tropical storms may make the flight worse in any way e.g being canceled or more turbulent - Does anyone know of this is the case? Not that keen on flying but the long flight (from the UK) is worth it to get to Disney!

Thanks

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
We have been thinking about going mid August and are both limited to the school holidays and our only options for a two week holiday is summer, easter (which we have previously done) or Christmas.

The one thing that slightly concerns me is if the tropical storms may make the flight worse in any way e.g being canceled or more turbulent - Does anyone know of this is the case? Not that keen on flying but the long flight (from the UK) is worth it to get to Disney!

Thanks

Its all chance. Who knows what mother nature has in store.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom