What the heck are some people wearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

It's mainly referring to woman because I've never seen a man wearing only pasties on his nipples and half his @$$ hanging out of his shorts, so i don't think anyone can pull the demoralizing women argument. Also, If someone is going to wear these items of clothing people are going to stare. You can't help but stare regardless if the person wearing the clothes wants you to stare or not.

People don't have to reveal flesh to show off their bodies. There are plenty of muscular men who go around wearing skintight shirts and close-fitting shorts that leave little to the imagination. Women who accentuate their figures in this way tend to get judged more harshly. As long as WDW guests stick to Disney's own rules, I say live and let live.

Princess Leia

For me, it’s all about the shoes. If you don’t think that the pair you are wearing will be suitable for 10 miles, don’t wear them! Just don’t even think about it. Flip flops and sandals don’t have proper arch support, and don’t get me started on people who wear heels at Disney.

Take care of yourselves, people.

On a different note, I will always remember my parents telling me about someone they saw near the beginning of the ‘leggings as pants’ trend (and you have to remember that for the longest time, most leggings were not really made to be pants). They were walking around Magic Kingdom and saw someone not wearing pants, nor leggings, but sheer black nylons. Nylons should never be worn as pants.

nace888

Be glad they're not dressing like the mother did on Hocus Pocus as Madonna for the party... It IS Halloween season after all... :hilarious::hilarious:

HMFan999

When I was a park greeter it was actually part of the job to refuse entry to people wearing inappropriate clothing. Back then it was mostly shirts with inappropriate wording or graphics. We used to tell people they could either turn them inside out and keep them that way or purchase a shirt from the giftshop outside the park. I'm guessing that either got dropped from the training or CMs just can't be bothered these days.

Zipadeelady

People don't have to reveal flesh to show off their bodies. There are plenty of muscular men who go around wearing skintight shirts and close-fitting shorts that leave little to the imagination. Women who accentuate their figures in this way tend to get judged more harshly. As long as WDW guests stick to Disney's own rules, I say live and let live.
At first I really saw your point but then the more I thought about it I don't. Yes, some men wear skin tight shirts. Men in too tight shorts? No, or should I say very rarely. The reason I disagree is because 80% of womens shirts are form fitting (I'm not judging because most of mine are), but the point was don't wear clothes to Disney where your butt cheeks are hanging out or your underboob is popping out of the bottom of your shirt, or even that your shirt is so see through that you have to put stickers on your nipples. Save that for other places.

Honestly, I don't even know why I'm posting. I agree with many of you, that you should be able to wear what you want. But I do believe there are places where you should be aware of where your going and dress accordingly. Also, my very first response was regarding someone who commented that we only are referring to woman, well I've been to Disney quite a few times and I can say every visit I see multiple women who dress so that I can't help but stare and I have yet to stare at a man. So yes I do believe this thread is rightfully so "speaking" to the women who are at Disney. I disagree with the why do we only blame women and not men.

OneofThree

At first I really saw your point but then the more I thought about it I don't. Yes, some men wear skin tight shirts. Men in too tight shorts? No, or should I say very rarely. The reason I disagree is because 80% of womens shirts are form fitting (I'm not judging because most of mine are), but the point was don't wear clothes to Disney where your butt cheeks are hanging out or your underboob is popping out of the bottom of your shirt, or even that your shirt is so see through that you have to put stickers on your nipples. Save that for other places.

Honestly, I don't even know why I'm posting. I agree with many of you, that you should be able to wear what you want. But I do believe there are places where you should be aware of where your going and dress accordingly.

Exactly. I couldn't possibly care less what you choose to wear or how you act -in the appropriate place at the appropriate time. Disney World -a family destination, is not that place. It's not for you to decide whether my children see that/my having to explain it to them and when. This is called being "in public". It's really not that difficult.

Walt Disney1955

Can we just blame the baby boomers for this like we do everything else? By that I mean, this was the first generation that scoffed at their parents (WWII veterans and people that were raised in the Great Depression) and rebelled and took their own path. Which also meant drugs, sex, entitlement and, yes, the clothes they wore. Should it surprise anyone that 50 years later clothing has gotten even more revealing and grubby since then? It shouldn't.

This isn't just Disney. Granted people dress better at a Disney park than a Six Flag park in general but this is just what is happening in our society and it is everywhere. You always had a suit and tie on at church or a dress if you were a woman 50 years ago. Now it is normal to wear jeans. Heck, even well into the 1970s men would wear suits at sporting events. If you went out to dinner or to a show you dressed up. No ripped jeans, no t-shirts, nothing. Now everything sort of "goes". It is what it is, so none of us should be surprised when there are scantly clad dressed women out there or men with offensive shirts or tattoos all over the place.

I don't care for it, but if you see it at your grocery store you will see it at a theme park too.

Look at the footage of opening day of Disneyland in 1955. Sure Walt, Art Linkletter, Ronald Reagan and Bob Cummings are wearing suits, they were the hosts, but so were the other guests. Or at least nice pants and maybe a short sleeve dress shirt because it was sweltering that day. Frank Sinatra was there opening day and he had a suit and a top hat he was wearing, and he didn't look out of place and he was on the Autopia!

LittleBuford

At first I really saw your point but then the more I thought about it I don't. Yes, some men wear skin tight shirts. Men in too tight shorts? No, or should I say very rarely.

Close-fitting is not the same as too tight. :)

Anyway, I do see what you’re saying. I guess it just isn’t something I’ve noticed as a widespread issue.

Maeryk

America has become a nation of slobs.

-signed, an American.

And it's more than just Disney. People used to dress decently to travel, too.. now you see pajamas and flip flops on airplanes.

I take a lot of heat, everywhere, when I say this: But I blame the budget resorts. (Realizing that's not the total of the issues, there are certainly places to stay off property where it's cheap as dirt too..). They seem to attract a certain.. class of people, who otherwise likely wouldn't be there. They are, in my experience, most evident in Epcot after a few drinks.

Maeryk

The 80s neon sneakers. Stop it.

As a neon sneaker guy, I can only wear a couple of brands comfortably for my foot shape and specific foot issues, and those are all higher end running shoes, and they only COME in neon right now.

Considering some of the shirts and stuff I've seen at the park, what color someone's shoes are is way way WAY down the list of issues. I was amazed at the che-with-mickey-ears shirt I saw several times at the park one trip.

OneofThree

But I blame the budget resorts. (Realizing that's not the total of the issues, there are certainly places to stay off property where it's cheap as dirt too..). They seem to attract a certain.. class of people, who otherwise likely wouldn't be there.

It looks like you're linking money and "class" with the ability to dress and act within reason. Just my 2 cents, but I honestly don't think money has any bearing on it whatsoever. I've lived in some uppity neighborhoods where I witnessed certain individuals whose bank accounts seemed to embolden them to act and dress way outside acceptable norms.

ETA: FWIW, I think the issue is with people thinking and behaving as though they are the only ones on the planet, or be damned with everyone else, anyway.

Maeryk

It looks like you're linking money and "class" with the ability to dress and act within reason. Just my 2 cents, but I honestly don't think money has any bearing on it whatsoever. I've lived in some uppity neighborhoods where I witnessed certain individuals whose bank accounts seemed to embolden them to act and dress way outside acceptable norms.

Yeah, it's not a one to one relationship, and i'm not implying all people who are of a low income are a problem, but the stereotype exists for a reason, and some people are only too happy to bring it to life.

OneofThree

Yeah, it's not a one to one relationship, and i'm not implying all people who are of a low income are a problem, but the stereotype exists for a reason, and some people are only too happy to bring it to life.

Some people may not have the means for the desirable labels, but there's no premium on neat and clean. When I posted that America is now a nation of slobs, I was really assuming Disney World was a representative sample of the middle class. Even a "budget" Disney vacation would seem to require a decent amount of discretionary income. What it means to me is that it transcends socioeconomic boundaries, suggesting that there's just no excuse for it. Other than what I said -our culture has become such that we are now just a bunch of slobs.

Last edited:

Maeryk

Some people may not have the means for the desirable labels, but there's no premium on neat and clean. When I posted that America is now a nation of slobs, I was really assuming Disney World was a representative sample of the middle class. Even a "budget" Disney vacation would seem to require a decent amount of discretionary income. What it means to me is that there really is that it transcends socioeconomic boundaries, suggesting that there's just no excuse for it. Other than what I said -our culture has become such that we are now just a bunch of slobs.

WallE was not science fiction. Yeah, as I said in a post above.. we've just lost any level of respect for people around us and it's all "me me me" it seems. I see people out in workout gear or sweats or pajamas all the time, and it just screams a complete lack of respect for anyone else. I mean, if you are actually working out or out running, great. That's what it's for. But if you are at a nice sit down restaurant in a sports bra and stretch pants that leave nothing to the imagination.. ugh. Or people grocery shopping who look like they just rolled out of bed, etc.

Disney in theory has dress codes, but I've seen some stuff in the parks that would seem to be directly against them, and yet doesn't get told to go home and change.

Maeryk

Sure, but where did they get their crazy ways? I'll tell ya!... Bad parenting. The
Greatest Generation were the worst parents. Ever.

The boomers are the ones being laughed at because they have dockers pulled up to mid chest and wingtips on for strolling around the park, with flat caps and a full sleeve button down.

It's my generation, the X ers who seem to be the beginning of the issue, and the one immediately following us who are exacerbating it.

Tony the Tigger

The boomers are the ones being laughed at because they have dockers pulled up to mid chest and wingtips on for strolling around the park, with flat caps and a full sleeve button down.

It's my generation, the X ers who seem to be the beginning of the issue, and the one immediately following us who are exacerbating it.

I always thought highly of our generation for several reasons, namely issues of race, acceptance, etc. but it seems we are pretty bad at raising kids. (I don’t have any. Not my fault LOL.).

Tomi-Rocket

It would be MUCH less of a problem if people were kicked out of the park for dressing inappropriately. Or at least if they refused to change clothing or agreed and didn’t or changed back into the item. And while “inappropriate” is subjective I think we could all essentially agree on the majority of the items in question.

Cmdr_Crimson

View attachment 319740I saw her and didn't mind what she was wearing at all.
Ya know.....There's just something not right about those eyes.....🤤
8988052502_60fd6626aa_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom