What should NOT have been replaced?

Driver

I remember the characters would walk around the park and interact with the kids, my boys loved it. I guess Disney saw another way to make a dollar and started character meals at various restaurants. IMO over charge for so so food. Thanks for jogging my memory I remember watching the ducks on the lawn too.
Meet and greets had a lot to do with the safety of the characters. It is a controlled environment.

Bacon

Original Innoventions. Alec Tronic (Timekeeper's cousin removed?), Sum of All Thrills?, Bill Nye had a thing set up, Apple, and of course saving the best for last, Sega's huge exhibit with Sonic, all the consoles, and yeah Knuckles was featured too. (& KNUCKLES)
B61220D5-68CC-4C84-A712-909B64EC86C6.jpeg

Mainahman

"one little spark" although by the time I got there in 2001, horizons has "been eaten by a sinkhole" and mission space was a pad of concrete, I think it still has a place in EPCOT. Even today.

ChiJB55

Which attraction should NOT have been replaced?
The Skyway. One, a fun break and great views of the park. Two, when the park was really crowded, an easy way to get from one end to the other. Especially with a family, you didn't have to hold hands and drag your crew through the crowd.

A related thread - possibly already here - is what attraction is still there that should NOT have been allowed to descend into horribleness? The answer there is the Jungle Cruise. Should have been revamped/updated decades ago. It can still be fun, and charming, but as an attraction it's 30 years past needing a massive makeover.

WDWFan2018

The Skyway. One, a fun break and great views of the park. Two, when the park was really crowded, an easy way to get from one end to the other. Especially with a family, you didn't have to hold hands and drag your crew through the crowd.

A related thread - possibly already here - is what attraction is still there that should NOT have been allowed to descend into horribleness? The answer there is the Jungle Cruise. Should have been revamped/updated decades ago. It can still be fun, and charming, but as an attraction it's 30 years past needing a massive makeover.

I agree about Jungle Cruise. Not even sure why it's still around with the addition of AK. Go on Kilimanjaro Safari....the animals are real!!!

CindyMarie

Even though I am not the biggest fan of movies in general, I was really sad when the Great Movie Ride closed. I understand that not many young people today are familiar with the movies that were in that ride, but I still enjoyed it. I remember wanting to be the actor that played the gangster who took over the car! It was really well done. Even though I am kind of surprised it took this long to close down. I will still miss it. I used to go on it twice sometimes, especially if the lines were not long.

danheaton

There are a lot of options here, so I'll just pick five where I feel like the park suffers the most from losing them:

Great Movie Ride: The Runaway Railway may be great, but it could have gone in another place.
Horizons: Mission: Space is fine, but Horizons represented the soul of Epcot more than any other attraction.
Mr. Toad: Its madcap fun is missing from Fantasyland. Pooh is okay but lacks that same energy.
The Skyway: I understand why it went away, but it really helped with the "world on the move" idea of Tomorrowland and added an extra layer to Fantasyland.
Journey Into Imagination: One of the true gems and the type of attraction that could still be timeless today.

clarabellej

The Original Journey Into Imagination. The new one stinks.

Old Soarin’. New one just doesn’t do it for me.

The Animation/drawing area at HS. Don’t have the correct name, but think it was where Star Wars Launch Bay is.

Mr. Toad!!!!! Snow White!!!! Couldn’t they have just built Pooh elsewhere? Pooh is better at DL.

Not that I was a huge fan of Maelstrom, but don’t care for the way FEA is such a recycle. Come on. It feels unfinished. Bad job all around.

Worried about the fate of Futureworld. There is something to be said for preservation.

I hear it will become more family friendly and more “Disney.”

Let’s hope by family friendly they get a grip on all the drinking.

I am trying to adjust to Star Wars and Guardians of the Galaxy. No offense to the fans. I was a fan of the original SW. Carrie Fisher R.I.P., but Disney & these just don’t go together in my brain.

The drinking doesn’t go with Disney in my head either, although I am sure I am in the minority.

Ok. I digress....

I truly enjoy visiting old favorites!

clarabellej

I haven't seen the Disneyland version but I read it's terrible compared to the WDW version.
I'll have to say...I think most are upset about the attraction changes for nostalgic reasons...but most of the changes I can think of were needed as far as a business standpoint...the majority of them that I know of had virtually no lines when they were replaced...I remember being one of very few people in the tiki room at the end...I also remember hopping on directly on WOM and horizons...with no line at all...the only ride that puzzles me is Mr. Toad...I seem to remember there always being a line...the only reason I can come up with is that due to pooh's popularity they wanted to add a pooh attraction, but one of the fantasy land rides would have to go...so since the majority of your average disney visitor has no idea who Mr. Toad is....I can't comment on alien encounter...I'm not sure how those lines were the past couple of years, but from what I have seen in other postersd comments...I would say it is the same case there.
Is Tiki gone??? Did I miss something?

danheaton

Is Tiki gone??? Did I miss something?

I suspect the comment refers to when Tiki left the first time and was replaced by "Under New Management". It didn't receive the same vitriol because this was when the Internet was not so prominent. A lot of fans did not enjoy it, though.

clarabellej

I suspect the comment refers to when Tiki left the first time and was replaced by "Under New Management". It didn't receive the same vitriol because this was when the Internet was not so prominent. A lot of fans did not enjoy it, though.
Oh I remember that. It was horrendous. So grating on the news in comparison with the very soothing original. Phew. I was scared the classic was gone for good. We’ve somehow missed it on our last few trips. Seems like it was down/closed a few times. I love it!!!!

macefamily

It's not an in-park attraction, but I think getting rid of Disney Quest was a huge mistake. It could have used an upgrade, but shutting it down sucked. We only discovered DQ around 2005. After that, we made it a point to go there when they lowered the admission price around 8:00PM. We'd do that one evening. All of those 80's arcade games were incredible. Brought back many memories. My wife and kids would park themselves at the big screen four player Miss Pacman and play that for an hour !

cheezbat

Great Movie Ride
Horizons
World of Motion
Original Imagination
20,000 Leagues

Man, Disney has really butchered some great attractions over the years. Mickey’s Runaway Railway should have been a new build elsewhere to save Great Movie Ride. Mission Space should never have happened. I just don’t care for that ride. It’s a joke compared to Horizons. World of Motion was a fun ride, and probably my favorite on my first visit to Epcot. Test Track should’ve been an ADDITION to the pavilion...not a replacement. Imagination was fantastic at the beginning, horrible in its first redo, and now just relatively uncreative in its current incarnation. Ooh...20,000 Leagues...now there’s a classic that could’ve used a solid overhaul and kept on going. Always loved the story, loved the Nautilus, and loved the different ride system.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom