• Turn it into a new Critter Country ride

• Demolish it and build a show building for a better Pooh ride

• Demolish it and build something other than a ride

• Demolish it and build a show building for a different themed ride

• Leave it alone

• Turn it into a CBJ revival

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rich T

I have to disagree a bit here. What sets the original version apart is the songs are used as an outlet to introduce and show the personalities of the characters. You can tell after a couple of seconds certain details such as that Big Al is lumbering buffoon or the sweet innocent nature of the Sun Bonnets. Many of the songs are heartfelt and relate-able, which really added to the charm of the show.

The Vacation Hoedown does not have Henry introduce the performers (although the Tokyo version would re-introduce this) and some of the characters are very different than how they were established in the original show. While some songs fit well like Teddi Beara and Big Al, others like Liver Lips and especially The Sun Bonnets feel really out of place to me. I also find their attempt to focus on more well known songs cheapens the show just a bit. While I do enjoy the Vacation Hoedown, and obviously prefer any Country Bears to none, I think it is a big step down from the original.
I agree with much of this, but I just personally enjoyed most of the music picks better in VH: Perhaps having a Beach Boys tune felt a bit out of character, but having Max, Buff and Melvin doing backing vocals for California Bears was one of my favorite things ever. The VH show was definitely aimed at people who were already familiar with the characters. The upside of that is that the show felt like you were watching a troupe that had been performing together for a long time; the interactions felt more natural and the addition of Rufus gave it a Muppet-Show feel where there was an additional level of comedy and interaction going on behind the scenes. Also, trimming the intro material gave more time to the songs themselves: In the original most of the songs are just fragments, in VH there's just enough length added to give the illusion you're hearing complete pieces. VH had better sound quality, but that's more a result of technical advances.

Original Vs. Vacation Hoedown - My Take

Opening: Slight edge to Original for better use of Max, Buff and Melvin to start things off.
Opening Song: Tie
Trixie: Original
Wendell: VH
Liverlips: Original
Bunny, Bubbles and Beulah: VH. Purely personal, as California Girls is one of my favorite songs.
Shaker: Original
Ernest: Original
Teddi Beara: VH
The Five Bear Rugs: VH just because Rocky Top and Ghost Riders are great choices.
Big Al: Slight Edge to VH for the great, great animation.
Finale: Tie (though the exit under M,B&M is better in the original)

Fun reminiscing! Such good times! Now I hate Pooh more than ever. :D

SuddenStorm

Marc Davis hated both alternate versions from what I remember

Marc has always struck me as someone who's extremely protective and passionate about his work. The ultimate purist.

He's famously also had issues with Mr. Baxter, viewing Big Thunder as the attraction that stopped Western River Expedition from getting built.

Did he ever speak publicly about his thoughts on the America Sings animatronics being used for Splash Mountain? Alice Davis has presented a skewed and biased account of Splash's creation in recent years (that many a vlogger has perpetuated on Youtube)- but I haven't heard of Marc saying anything specific.

And while I'm rambling about Marc.... there's a new book coming out this year focusing on the Imagineer and his work, that promises to publish never be for seen photos, written by Pete Doctor and Chris Merritt- here's the Amazon link:

Marc Davis In His Own Words (Amazon)

mickEblu

Marc has always struck me as someone who's extremely protective and passionate about his work. The ultimate purist.

He's famously also had issues with Mr. Baxter, viewing Big Thunder as the attraction that stopped Western River Expedition from getting built.

Did he ever speak publicly about his thoughts on the America Sings animatronics being used for Splash Mountain? Alice Davis has presented a skewed and biased account of Splash's creation in recent years (that many a vlogger has perpetuated on Youtube)- but I haven't heard of Marc saying anything specific.

And while I'm rambling about Marc.... there's a new book coming out this year focusing on the Imagineer and his work, that promises to publish never be for seen photos, written by Pete Doctor and Chris Merritt- here's the Amazon link:

Marc Davis In His Own Words (Amazon)

I’m going to need this as well as Baxter’s book when it comes out. Also reminds me I need to buy Hench’s books.

SuddenStorm

I’m going to need this as well as Baxter’s book when it comes out. Also reminds me I need to buy Hench’s books.

Baxter's book can't come soon enough... as far as I'm concerned he needs to publish a few... a photographic history of his work, a candid autobiography that focuses on his life/career, and a third book that's his account of Disney history with in depth looks at the history and creative process for the attractions he worked on.

mickEblu

Baxter's book can't come soon enough... as far as I'm concerned he needs to publish a few... a photographic history of his work, a candid autobiography that focuses on his life/career, and a third book that's his account of Disney history with in depth looks at the history and creative process for the attractions he worked on.

And a 4th about why he doesn’t like where the company is headed.

NateD1226

Original Poster
Bumping this thread since Splash Mountain is turning into PATF which leaves Winnie the Pooh the only ride left in Critter Country. What might happen to Winnie the Pooh after this ride is completed.

PiratesMansion

Hunny Hunt! Hunny Hunt!

Also, the original CBJ was and will always be the best version of the show and it surprises me that DL never tried to bring that version of the show back or even rotate it with the other two the way Tokyo does now.

Outbound

“Critter Country” definitely needs to be re-evaluated now. Winnie the Pooh never really made sense in the area, it was always Splash that made the land. So I see two options:

— Rename it the 100 Acre Wood and give the surrounding area more Pooh emphasis. The downside is Winnie the Pooh isn’t really a popular IP nowadays.

— Retheme the whole area to the swamps outside New Orleans Square and put a new ride in Winnie the Pooh’s space. Problem is without PatF I don’t know what swampy IP they could use. Maybe make a ride without an IP? Or is that just wishful thinking...

George Lucas on a Bench

Well, since the Frog Princess movie is set in Louisiana and on a mountain (???), obviously a ride located directly across from it will have to also be set there.

So, looking at the list of Disney movies set in Louisiana:

Screenshot_20200625-153716_Chrome.jpg

That's right, folks. Captain Marvel will replace Winnie the Pooh!

TROR

Well, since the Frog Princess movie is set in Louisiana and on a mountain (???), obviously a ride located directly across from it will have to also be set there.

So, looking at the list of Disney movies set in Louisiana:

View attachment 479343

That's right, folks. Captain Marvel will replace Winnie the Pooh!
What about that last one, "The Haunted Mansion"? Could that replace Winnie the Pooh?

Rich T

An all new Country Bear show (one theater) featuring the now-middle-aged offspring of the original cast. Imagine this: the lights dim, there’s a single cricket chirp and then the place explodes with life and music as the curtains open and the new host and Bear Band tear into their rendition of THIS:

It’s a fast-paced rush of classic western and top 40 country. In the finale, Big Al, now white-furred, interrupts eveything a trademark jaw-droppingly awful number.

The theater shakes and rocks in time to the music throughout. Max, Buff and Melvin are still there.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
An all new Country Bear show (one theater) featuring the now-middle-aged offspring of the original cast. Imagine this: the lights dim, there’s a single cricket chirp and then the place explodes with life and music as the curtains open and the new host and Bear Band tear into their rendition of THIS:

It’s a fast-paced rush of classic western and top 40 country. In the finale, Big Al, now white-furred, interrupts eveything a trademark jaw-droppingly awful number.

The theater shakes and rocks in time to the music throughout. Max, Buff and Melvin are still there.

I'm sure all 6 people watching will enjoy it. Meanwhile, I'll be over piloting the Falcon.

Figments Friend

Marc Davis.

I've never heard or read a quote regarding the matter from Marc directly, but indirectly I've heard several times over the years that he was not pleased with the recasting of the 'American Sings' animatronic characters he helped design that were repurposed into Disneyland's 'Splash Mountain'.

My impression based on what I've gathered regarding the topic is that Tony wanted to save the figures from being destroyed, being a fan of Marc's work himself.
Saving the figures also insured new figures would not have to be designed and built, helping to keep 'Splash Mountain's already spiraling high budget within the lower stratosphere.

Tony may have felt Marc would have appreciated the effort to save 'his' characters, but the opposite was said to have been true.
Marc was actually rather unhappy about it...and it gave him yet another reason to seemingly dislike that young upstart Mr. Baxter.
Tony I think may have been disappointed in the fact that Marc didn't embrace the salvaging effort.

Imagine how you would feel doing something similar - thinking you were doing something positive for someone and in the end they just spit on the ground in front of you.
Tony seemed to try several times over the years to get on Marc's good side but never could.
From Marc's perspective, I could see how he might have not been keen on seeing his work being 'reused' within another persons' project.
But saving them and reusing them, in my opinion, was the right move.

I'm personally glad those figures were saved.
I never would have been able to enjoy them if not for being saved and repurposed.
:)

-

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom