• Turn it into a new Critter Country ride

• Demolish it and build a show building for a better Pooh ride

• Demolish it and build something other than a ride

• Demolish it and build a show building for a different themed ride

• Leave it alone

• Turn it into a CBJ revival

Results are only viewable after voting.

SuddenStorm

Well I would it say only....I like Small World Holiday more than the original.

Of the current overlay rotation (Small World, Space Mountain, Mission:OVERLAY, Haunted Mansion), I think Small World is far and away the best.

But the vanilla version will always be my favorite, I like the simplicity of the message. Singing Christmas songs in a ride about world unity, when there are billions who don't celebrate Christmas sort of dilute the message. But the themes of Christmas... charity, coming together as friends and family, giving- help strengthen the ride from the perspective of Americans who celebrate the holiday so I understand why it's popular and it doesn't bother me.

But I adore the Country Bear Christmas soundtrack, the original show, and the Vacation Hoedown. There's something distinctly "Disney" about them.

mickEblu

Of the current overlay rotation (Small World, Space Mountain, Mission:OVERLAY, Haunted Mansion), I think Small World is far and away the best.

But the vanilla version will always be my favorite, I like the simplicity of the message. Singing Christmas songs in a ride about world unity, when there are billions who don't celebrate Christmas sort of dilute the message. But the themes of Christmas... charity, coming together as friends and family, giving- help strengthen the ride from the perspective of Americans who celebrate the holiday so I understand why it's popular and it doesn't bother me.

But I adore the Country Bear Christmas soundtrack, the original show, and the Vacation Hoedown. There's something distinctly "Disney" about them.

The original version just seems to be lacking energy after riding the Holiday version. The exterior of the attraction is so fun and festive that you already head into the show building In a great mood.

I have Jewish and Muslim friends and it seems that just about everyone celebrates Christmas... at least in the commercial/ secular aspect. Christmas gifts, Christmas trees etc...

mickEblu

Forgot to say I don’t remember much about the Country Bear Jamboree. It was a must do when I was young but then we stopped watching it in my teens. What I remember most is Teddi Berra swinging from the ceiling and the taking Moose. How do you remember so much? WDW or videos?

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Forgot to say I don’t remember much about the Country Bear Jamboree. It was a must do when I was young but then we stopped watching it in my teens. What I remember most is Teddi Berra swinging from the ceiling and the taking Moose. How do you remember so much? WDW or videos?

Videos, and I listen to the soundtracks with some regularity while studying/doing housework. I enjoy collecting Disneyland attraction area and attraction music.

I also adore the Tiki Room and am infatuated with America Sings... so I think I'm drawn to these 15 minute audio animatronic shows since the music is probably my favorite aspect of Disneyland.

Rich T

I'm possibly in the minority when I say I liked the Vacation Hoedown better than the original CBJ (and I didn't care for the Christmas show). The songs in VH felt more complete (and more familiar to the audience), the jokes were funnier, and they added the heard-but-never-seen backstage character Rufus stomping around in the projection room and backstage areas (and Rufus was the original inhabitant of Brer Bear's outdoor cave during Splash's early years). VH didn't have the classic "Blood on the Saddle," but Big Al's animation during "I Got Lost on My Way to Your Heart" was so expressive and mournful that I'd laugh way too much (according to my family) every time.

Last edited:

Rich T

I’ve never seen the movie. Is it as bad as they say?
Yes. It is. I'm a huge fan of the Country Bears at the parks, and I've never been able to watch the movie all the way through.

I will, say though, the Nostalgia Critic recently did a great review of the film in which he enjoyed how bizarre the film is in its unfunniness, and how the background world-building (10% of the U.S. population seems to be bears) is actually interesting. I might try to wince my way through it again... It was apparently written by one of the Animaniacs guys.

Phroobar

I'm possibly in the minority when I say I liked the Vacation Hoedown better than the original CBJ (and I didn't care for the Christmas show). The songs in VH felt more complete (and more familiar to the audience), the jokes were funnier, and they added the heard-but-never-seen backstage character Rufus stomping around in the projection room and backstage areas (and Rufus was the original inhabitant of Brer Bear's outdoor cave during Splash's early years). VH didn't have the classic "Blood on the Saddle," but Big Al's animation during "I Got Lost on My Way to Your Heart" was so expressive and mournful that I'd laugh way too much (according to my family) every time.
View attachment 355339
Agreed. Vacation Hoedown was best. Disneyland seemed to run that version all the time.

PB Watermelon

The only representation Bambi gets from the parks currently is just Thumper and Miss Bunny becoming meetable characters. Flower used to be seen at the parks up till the late 1970s.

Turn it into a shooting arcade.

j/k...Anyway, aside from the sweet childhood scenes, Bambi is a fairly serious, violent, and dramatic film. You'd have to cut out a large section of material from the movie, which in my opinion, would reinforce the general misconception of what Bambi the movie actually is. I think it would be a disservice to the film. Fleeing the meadow ("Man was in the forest."), deer starving in winter, death of Bambi's mother, Ronno fight, Hunter attack (animals shot), Bambi fights the hunting dogs, Bambi gets shot, forest burns to the ground. You take that out, you take out the drama of the movie, and all you're left with is Bambi born, Bambi explores the thicket and meets the bunnies and Flower, "Little April Shower", playing on the meadow, playing on ice, Twitterpated, Bambi and Faline fall in love, Bambi and Faline have kids. I don't know, I understand why they haven't touched it.

Bambi appears for maybe a couple of seconds in World of Color on those circular globe things, and you can re-voice a section of the film in California Adventure's animation pavillion. Other than that, I'm drawing a blank.

TROR

j/k...Anyway, aside from the sweet childhood scenes, Bambi is a fairly serious, violent, and dramatic film. You'd have to cut out a large section of material from the movie, which in my opinion, would reinforce the general misconception of what Bambi the movie actually is. I think it would be a disservice to the film. Fleeing the meadow ("Man was in the forest."), deer starving in winter, death of Bambi's mother, Ronno fight, Hunter attack (animals shot), Bambi fights the hunting dogs, Bambi gets shot, forest burns to the ground. You take that out, you take out the drama of the movie, and all you're left with is Bambi born, Bambi explores the thicket and meets the bunnies and Flower, "Little April Shower", playing on the meadow, playing on ice, Twitterpated, Bambi and Faline fall in love, Bambi and Faline have kids. I don't know, I understand why they haven't touched it.

Bambi appears for maybe a couple of seconds in World of Color on those circular globe things, and you can re-voice a section of the film in California Adventure's animation pavillion. Other than that, I'm drawing a blank.
Why would they remove the drama for a dark ride? Mr. Toad ends with the riders going to hell. Have just the scary and dramatic scenes for the dark ride.

mickEblu

Their should be a place at Disneyland where we can hear “Little April Shower.” That’s like a Top 5 Classic Disney song.

mccgavin

View attachment 355339
I have to disagree a bit here. What sets the original version apart is the songs are used as an outlet to introduce and show the personalities of the characters. You can tell after a couple of seconds certain details such as that Big Al is lumbering buffoon or the sweet innocent nature of the Sun Bonnets. Many of the songs are heartfelt and relate-able, which really added to the charm of the show.

The Vacation Hoedown does not have Henry introduce the performers (although the Tokyo version would re-introduce this) and some of the characters are very different than how they were established in the original show. While some songs fit well like Teddi Beara and Big Al, others like Liver Lips and especially The Sun Bonnets feel really out of place to me. I also find their attempt to focus on more well known songs cheapens the show just a bit. While I do enjoy the Vacation Hoedown, and obviously prefer any Country Bears to none, I think it is a big step down from the original.

TROR

Their should be a place at Disneyland where we can hear “Little April Shower.” That’s like a Top 5 Classic Disney song.
World of Color

I have to disagree a bit here. What sets the original version apart is the songs are used as an outlet to introduce and show the personalities of the characters. You can tell after a couple of seconds certain details such as that Big Al is lumbering buffoon or the sweet innocent nature of the Sun Bonnets. Many of the songs are heartfelt and relate-able, which really added to the charm of the show.

The Vacation Hoedown does not have Henry introduce the performers (although the Tokyo version would re-introduce this) and some of the characters are very different than how they were established in the original show. While some songs fit well like Teddi Beara and Big Al, others like Liver Lips and especially The Sun Bonnets feel really out of place to me. I also find their attempt to focus on more well known songs cheapens the show just a bit. While I do enjoy the Vacation Hoedown, and obviously prefer any Country Bears to none, I think it is a big step down from the original.
Marc Davis hated both alternate versions from what I remember

TROR

Oh really, which version? I’ve only seen the show twice. The original years ago and the Disneyland 60th version.

In Marc, we trust.
The original. It’s mixed with the windmill segment following Heimlech and before the villains, I believe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom