What should be done with the Carrousel theater (Tomorrowland Expo Center) in Tomorrowland?

What should Disney do to the Carrousel theater space?

• Keep it as exhibit space

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Phroobar

Bring back the Carousel of Progress back to its original home!
DKUR9Tk.png

Jedi Stitch

Currently Launch bay is here, but I assume the meet n greets would move to Galaxy Edge. So, as long as they built enough area for that in GE, then I am all for a new ride utilizing the existing show building, just because a certain part of TL is nice to keep the original building. Build out for the rest of the show building. I know that the movie Tommowland was a big winner, but you could use the same theme to have a futuristic ride, that taught people to be more earth friendly. how to recycle better, new innovations to invest in for a better future and technology. Get all sorts of sponsors to off set the cost. Most definatelty, bring back the people mover. Demo the existing track and rebuild a better one that also show cases the new TL.

Phroobar

Yeah I guess you're right. Walt would never have approved of something like the Carousel of Progress.
Walt would have gotten rid of it long ago for some new. CoP is extremely dated and no modern audience can relate to it anymore. They are better off with an updated version of Horizons.

Rich T

Carousel of Progress should be preserved but not in the theme parks. Put it at the Walt Disney Family Museum.
It's a nice thought, but the many video recordings will do. Like a particular run/cast of a Broadway play, it wasn't meant to last forever, but can be appreciated via Youtube. At least one of the Father AAs (with the dog) should definitely be preserved in a museum, though.

CoP was literally never the same after leaving DL: The upper-level final act set in the future was kind of the point of the whole show. Without that finale, the show lost a lot of its emotional punch.

Rich T

Just because it was at a Disney theme park and World's Fair doesn't give it historical significance to make it a historical landmark and definitely doesn't automatically make it art.
Yeah, but in this case it does. CoP was art and a one-of-a-kind use of tech. Lost a lot after leaving DL, though (see above comment).

Rich T

Why? I'd rather see America Sings restored someplace than that old show.
Okay, did you ever see America Sings in person? 'Cause if you did, you know that show had some pacing and sound design issues. I loved the show, too, but some of the gags were really, really cringe-inducing. I'd vote the "Old Grey Mare" as the single most awful, irritating, obnoxious AA character in DL's history. :D Seriously, I'd put my hands over my eyes and sink down in my seat every time she'd rise up out of the stage to deliver her loud, super-unfunny routine. It must have looked good on paper...

Phroobar

Yeah, but in this case it does. CoP was art and a one-of-a-kind use of tech. Lost a lot after leaving DL, though (see above comment).
Maybe so but that still doesn't mean it should occupy that much space in Tomorrowland. If it was restored and even updated a little, it would have the same number of people watching it as Lincoln gets in a day. That's a huge foot print that could easily be used as a people eater ride for something people would actually enjoy. Horizons 2.0 would fit the bill a lot better and could provide a cool thrill element that CoP could never do.

Phroobar

Okay, did you ever see America Sings in person? 'Cause if you did, you know that show had some pacing and sound design issues. I loved the show, too, but some of the gags were really, really cringe-inducing. I'd vote the "Old Grey Mare" as the single most awful, irritating, obnoxious AA character in DL's history. :D Seriously, I'd put my hands over my eyes and sink down in my seat every time she'd rise up out of the stage to deliver her loud, super-unfunny routine. It must have looked good on paper...
Yes I saw it many times and loved it as a kid. It was a like a living cartoon. It's something I associated Disneyland with. Sure it was cheesy but so was most of Disneyland. Even POTC and HM has it's share of cringe and cheese.

Rich T

Let's relive it!

(Full, ear-splitting volume)
OGM: THE OLD GREY MARE!!!
Geese: She ain't what she used to be, ain't what she used to be, ain't what she used to be..
OGM: THE OLD GREY MARE!!!!!
Geese: She ain't what she used to be many long years ago
OGM: Cackles DON'T YOU BELIEVE IT, HONEY!!!!
Car backfires.

Marc, you were a genius and possibly the greatest artist to ever work for Disney... but I wasn't a fan of this particular character.

Rich T

Yes I saw it many times and loved it as a kid. It was a like a living cartoon. It's something I associated Disneyland with. Sure it was cheesy but so was most of Disneyland. Even POTC and HM has it's share of cringe and cheese.
If PoTC and HM have a slice of cheese each , AS was the Tillamook cheese factory tour. I'm kidding: I loved America Sings. But... I think at least 1/3 of the show was groan-inducing (and again with the multiple alcholism-is-funny gags!) ... but the other 2/3 was pretty great.

Phroobar

If PoTC and HM have a slice of cheese each , AS was the Tillamook cheese factory tour. I'm kidding: I loved America Sings. But... I think at least 1/3 of the show was groan-inducing (and again with the multiple alcholism-is-funny gags!) ... but the other 2/3 was pretty great.
Don't forget about the line about adultery that they removed for one that was totally racist. AS was definitely not PC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom