What pets outside of dogs should WDW allow in Hotel rooms?

What pets outside of dogs should WDW allow in Hotel rooms?

• Fish

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • cats

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • Hamsters

• Birds

• Snakes

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • rabbits

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • iguana

Votes: 10 5.4%
  • crabs

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • other - Means outside of dogs and outside of the potential pets already mentioned

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • None

Votes: 122 65.9%

• Total voters

21stamps

Bingo. I can’t see how anyone can assume only pet parent dog owners with well traveled dogs will show up. Will they be the vast majority, sure probably, but that’s not the same as all.

I don’t see how anyone can assume what Disney’s visiting dogs will be like, especially when someone doesn’t have much experience in pet friendly hotels or traveling with a dog, and what that all entails.

Will a few bad dogs/owners possibly be at Disney? Maybe, and they’ll be dealt with.

I’ve mentioned Kimpton hotels to you before.. by far the most PET (all pet) Friendly hotels that exist. Yet somehow magically, their hotels all receive high ratings, great reviews, and are wonderful to stay at, with or without a pet.

Some of us here realize that it probably won’t be much different than most other hotels that have already been allowing dogs for years.
It would be so nice if people would stop pretending like Disney is a pioneer with this.

Pixieish

I don’t see how anyone can assume what Disney’s dog policy will be like, especially when someone doesn’t have much experience in pet friendly hotels or traveling with a dog, and what that all entails.

Will a few bad dogs/owners possibly be at Disney? Maybe, and they’ll be dealt with.

I’ve mentioned Kimpton hotels to you before.. by far the most PET (all pet) Friendly hotels that exist. Yet somehow magically, their hotels all revive high ratings, great reviews, and are wonderful to stay at, with or without a pet.

Some of us here realize that it probably won’t be much different than most other hotels that have already been allowing dogs for years.
It would be so nice if people would stop pretending like Disney is a pioneer with this.lol
It's the "dealt with" part I'm having a hard time swallowing. CMs get basically zero backup when it comes to enforcing rules...I don't see why that would suddenly change.

21stamps

It's the "dealt with" part I'm having a hard time swallowing. CMs get basically zero backup when it comes to enforcing rules...I don't see why that would suddenly change.

Because as we see here, there are people who are ready to ask for compensation when any little thing isn’t perfect for them.. you could have one dog barking and one unhappy family being told to board said dog.. or you could have an entire floor of people demanding compensation because of said barking dog.

Which one makes more sense?

And again.. for people who do travel with pets, we always sign a waiver.. always. I’m sure Disney has one as well. The owners will know what is acceptable and when they could be asked to remove the dog.

Pixieish

Because as we see here, there are people who are ready to ask for compensation when any little thing isn’t perfect for them.. you could have one dog barking and one unhappy family being told to board said dog.. or you could have an entire floor of people demanding compensation because of said barking dog.

Which one makes more sense?

And again.. for people who do travel with pets, we always sign a waiver.. always. I’m sure Disney has one as well. The owners will know what is acceptable and when they could be asked to remove the dog.
I really hope you're right.

21stamps

I really hope you're right.

Just take comfort that dogs have been staying in hotels for years.. and there doesn’t appear to be too many horror stories. If there was, then business models like Kimpton wouldn’t be not only doing well, but also so highly popular with all people- those with pets, and those without.

Actually, I challenge people to think about all of the hotels they’ve stayed in over the past 5-10 years... then go to every website and search for a pet policy.. you’ll probably be surprised that you’ve already stayed in ‘pet friendly’ hotels unknowingly.

graphite1326

I guarantee you my dogs do not have accidents. And lets not make assumptions, toddlers have accidents. Puppies have accidents. Old people with dementia have accidents and so do some senior dogs who have issues. Normal people do not have accidents. I have not had an accident since I was 6 years old. And I would assume most healthy potty trained humans have not had an accident that hit the floor or the bed since they were very young. Also, when my senior dog gets a UTI, we put a diaper on her, but only during the UTI.

Now, lets roll this back up. My puppies of course had accidents in the house. But it only took me a month to get that cleared up. Had one or two the following month, but nothing the month after that. Again, generalized statements hold no weight in civil conversation. You can assume all you want, but you know what they say about assuming.....
Some normal people still have accidents. So do dogs.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Exactly. People can continue to compare WDW to expensive hotels in Europe or boutique hotels in the US but it’s just not the same thing. Guests at WDW are notorious for ignoring rules and exploiting loopholes and the abundance of online or social media spots for people to share their “tricks” doesn’t help. We get chips in soda cups to prevent abuse. Disney needs a much more strict and easy to enforce policy than most other resorts. This policy presents some obvious problems that are relatively easy to fix IMHO.

Pixieish

So far, in these forums alone (I can only imagine what goes unreported or reported elsewhere)...
1 dog toileting where it wasn't supposed to.
1 dog in a building that wasn't supposed to have them. (Dog was also toileting outside someone's room...I'm not sure of where this person's room is in relation to the doggy potties, but who knows if that was a proper doggy potty.)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So far, in these forums alone (I can only imagine what goes unreported or reported elsewhere)...
1 dog toileting where it wasn't supposed to.
1 dog in a building that wasn't supposed to have them. (Dog was also toileting outside someone's room...I'm not sure of where this person's room is in relation to the doggy potties, but who knows if that was a proper doggy potty.)
Those are “fake news” stories planted by Russian bots attempting to disrupt the core fabric of our society by turning man against his “best friend”;)

Either that or planted by cats who are jealous that they still are not welcome at WDW:)

Pixieish

Those are “fake news” stories planted by Russian bots attempting to disrupt the core fabric of our society by turning man against his “best friend”;)

Either that or planted by cats who are jealous that they still are not welcome at WDW:)
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

21stamps

Exactly. People can continue to compare WDW to expensive hotels in Europe or boutique hotels in the US but it’s just not the same thing. Guests at WDW are notorious for ignoring rules and exploiting loopholes and the abundance of online or social media spots for people to share their “tricks” doesn’t help. We get chips in soda cups to prevent abuse. Disney needs a much more strict and easy to enforce policy than most other resorts. This policy presents some obvious problems that are relatively easy to fix IMHO.

When you realize that it’s not just “boutique hotels”... then maybe you’ll see why this is such a fantastical conversation.lol

GoofGoof

Premium Member
When you realize that it’s not just “boutique hotels”... then maybe you’ll see why this is such a fantastical conversation.lol
Kimpton is a boutique hotel chain. That’s a fact that absolutely cannot be disputed if you live in the real world. When IHG (parent of Holiday Inn and Crowne Plazza) bought Kimpton a few years back they wanted to get into the lucrative boutique market without having to build a brand from scratch. It was a pretty big deal in the industry and there was some fear at the time that the brand would be ruined but they have largely allowed the chain to be run independently. When the deal closed I think Kimpton had around 60 hotels and about 12,000 rooms so about 200 rooms per hotel roughly on average. The brand was known for being high end and very trendy including being very pet friendly. If you don’t believe me, go to the Kimpton website. https://www.kimptonhotels.com/ The front page describes “66 Boutique hotels in 35 cities”.

Here are several articles from the time of the acquisition all referencing the fact that Kimpton is a boutique hotel brand:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ntinental-hotels-group-buys-kimpton/20466189/
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...inental-hotels-to-buy-kimpton-for-430-million
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...al-Hotels-seals-first-buyout-in-a-decade.html

I stand by my original comment from a while back that comparing a 2,000 room Disney resort that runs at 90%+ occupancy and has a high turnover rate to a boutique hotel with 200 rooms that has a much higher level of specialized service is apples to oranges. It’s pretty hard for a rational person to dispute that.

21stamps

Kimpton is a boutique hotel chain. That’s a fact that absolutely cannot be disputed if you live in the real world. When IHG (parent of Holiday Inn and Crowne Plazza) bought Kimpton a few years back they wanted to get into the lucrative boutique market without having to build a brand from scratch. It was a pretty big deal in the industry and there was some fear at the time that the brand would be ruined but they have largely allowed the chain to be run independently. When the deal closed I think Kimpton had around 60 hotels and about 12,000 rooms so about 200 rooms per hotel roughly on average. The brand was known for being high end and very trendy including being very pet friendly. If you don’t believe me, go to the Kimpton website. https://www.kimptonhotels.com/ The front page describes “66 Boutique hotels in 35 cities”.

Here are several articles from the time of the acquisition all referencing the fact that Kimpton is a boutique hotel brand:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ntinental-hotels-group-buys-kimpton/20466189/
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...inental-hotels-to-buy-kimpton-for-430-million
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...al-Hotels-seals-first-buyout-in-a-decade.html

I stand by my original comment from a while back that comparing a 2,000 room Disney resort that runs at 90%+ occupancy and has a high turnover rate to a boutique hotel with 200 rooms that has a much higher level of specialized service is apples to oranges. It’s pretty hard for a rational person to dispute that.

From someone who has actually stayed at a Kimpton hotel.. I do know what they are, which is why I’ve brought up their popularity with People Who are Not Pet Owners. They are hot hotels.. and most of the reasons why have nothing to do with their pet policy.

I just don’t think you realize that many Hilton’s..Marriotts... etc etc etc allow dog as well. It’s not just Kimpton.

21stamps

Let’s try to use logic..

We’ll go with Kimpton, since you like the boutique hotel example.

Most of their hotels are 500 rooms or less. Which you would think would create more problems for guests witnessing unruly pets or smelly rooms.. because - factually they’re smaller properties than POR, but more of their rooms allow pets (100% at Kimpton properties)

However, logically, in a place as expansive as POR with only select rooms allowing dogs.. then wouldn’t that lead you to believe that there would be even less problems? Using logic..

There is an entire world outside of Disney.. and shockingly people have been surviving in it for years.. even at hotels who allow pets.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
From someone who has actually stayed at a Kimpton hotel.. I do know what they are, which is why I’ve brought up their popularity with People Who are Not Pet Owners. They are hot hotels.. and most of the reasons why have nothing to do with their pet policy.

I just don’t think you realize that many Hilton’s..Marriotts... etc etc etc allow dog as well. It’s not just Kimpton.
Let’s try to use logic..

We’ll go with Kimpton, since you like the boutique hotel example.

Most of their hotels are 500 rooms or less. Which you would think would create more problems for guests witnessing unruly pets or smelly rooms.. because - factually they’re smaller properties than POR, but more of their rooms allow pets (100% at Kimpton properties)

However, logically, in a place as expansive as POR with only select rooms allowing dogs.. then wouldn’t that lead you to believe that there would be even less problems? Using logic..

There is an entire world outside of Disney.. and shockingly people have been surviving in it for years.. even at hotels who allow pets.
I never tried to say Kimpton was the only chain that allows dogs (you enjoy creating these straw man arguments). You brought up Kimpton not me. You are the one who made the claim that Kimpton Hotels are not boutique (which is just wrong). You are the one who keeps comparing that chain to WDW. I’m simply trying to explain that it’s not the best example to compare Kimpton to WDW because it’s not apples to apples. A boutique hotel offers more amenities than a standard hotel. They also have the time and resources to properly clean and maintain the rooms. WDW is running large resort hotels at near full capacity most of the year. Guests tend to be on the go a lot at WDW. I threw out Loews at Universal and Caesars properties in Vegas as better comparisons. They are larger resorts at up tempo vacation destinations. They both have dog policies that seem to work pretty well but in both cases the policy is more restrictive than WDW.

I hope they decide to only allow dogs in select rooms. That would be a smart policy to implement and it would be really simple to have a pet friendly room type for those rooms.

21stamps

I never tried to say Kimpton was the only chain that allows dogs (you enjoy creating these straw man arguments). You brought up Kimpton not me. You are the one who made the claim that Kimpton Hotels are not boutique (which is just wrong). You are the one who keeps comparing that chain to WDW. I’m simply trying to explain that it’s not the best example to compare Kimpton to WDW because it’s not apples to apples. A boutique hotel offers more amenities than a standard hotel. They also have the time and resources to properly clean and maintain the rooms. WDW is running large resort hotels at near full capacity most of the year. Guests tend to be on the go a lot at WDW. I threw out Loews at Universal and Caesars properties in Vegas as better comparisons. They are larger resorts at up tempo vacation destinations. They both have dog policies that seem to work pretty well but in both cases the policy is more restrictive than WDW.

I hope they decide to only allow dogs in select rooms. That would be a smart policy to implement and it would be really simple to have a pet friendly room type for those rooms.

We have a misunderstanding. I never said that Kimpton were not boutique hotels ( I don’t need to google or read links about them).. I think you may have misinterpreted the following-

I’ll clarify the confusion- MANY hotels, boutique or otherwise, allow pets. Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt.. and the list goes on.

What I have been trying to get people to realize, is that in all of these MANY hotels, with more rooms that allow pets than the 3 Disney resorts appear to- things have been going just fine, for several years. Dogs in hotels are not a new phenomenon. The wild speculations of nightmare scenarios don’t have any history to support them.. dogs in hotels doing okay- history does support that. Kimpton being used was because their restrictions are next to non existent.. they allow a lot more than dogs and cats...so in your speculations that should lead to an absolute disaster.. Yet you’d be hard pressed to find people complain about their properties.

Apologies for the confusion.. I hope you report back after staying in any pet friendly hotel and let us know if it was as bad as you imagined.
(I also think that “boutique” may be misunderstood, but that’s less important and not too relevant to the dogs, so I’ll skip that one)
Maybe this info helped though :)

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We have a misunderstanding. I never said that Kimpton were not boutique hotels ( I don’t need to google or read links about them).. I think you may have misinterpreted the following-

I’ll clarify the confusion- MANY hotels, boutique or otherwise, allow pets. Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt.. and the list goes on.

What I have been trying to get people to realize, is that in all of these MANY hotels, with more rooms that allow pets than the 3 Disney resorts appear to- things have been going just fine, for several years. Dogs in hotels are not a new phenomenon. The wild speculations of nightmare scenarios don’t have any history to support them.. dogs in hotels doing okay- history does support that. Kimpton being used was because their restrictions are next to non existent.. they allow a lot more than dogs and cats...so in your speculations that should lead to an absolute disaster.. Yet you’d be hard pressed to find people complain about their properties.

Apologies for the confusion.. I hope you report back after staying in any pet friendly hotel and let us know if it was as bad as you imagined. .Maybe this info helped though:)
Again...creating your own straw man argument. When did I ever say it was going to be so bad? When did I or anyone else say we didn’t realize other hotels allowed pets? All I’m suggesting is some simple changes to the policy that was rolled out that would probably benefit everyone.

Since you can’t let it go, in the other thread when you brought up Kimpton you insisted that not all of their hotels were small, boutique hotels. I posted those links to show that they are (which you now agree:)). Operationally a boutique hotel is not the same as a Disney resort. Different business model, different staffing levels and different customer base.

This may not have occurred to you, but it’s also possible that people know things about industries and specific companies because of what they do in the real world, but you keep on believing that because you stayed in a Kimpton hotel once you are the expert and everyone else is wrong.

21stamps

Again...creating your own straw man argument. When did I ever say it was going to be so bad? When did I or anyone else say we didn’t realize other hotels allowed pets? All I’m suggesting is some simple changes to the policy that was rolled out that would probably benefit everyone.

Since you can’t let it go, in the other thread when you brought up Kimpton you insisted that not all of their hotels were small, boutique hotels. I posted those links to show that they are (which you now agree:)). Operationally a boutique hotel is not the same as a Disney resort. Different business model, different staffing levels and different customer base.

This may not have occurred to you, but it’s also possible that people know things about industries and specific companies because of what they do in the real world, but you keep on believing that because you stayed in a Kimpton hotel once you are the expert and everyone else is wrong.

Oh yeah.. that one time that I was outside of Disney World.
I appreciate the googling and links.. I really do.
You can read your posts about “boutique hotels” while ignoring all other major brands.. Maybe we’re actually in agreement on what (in reality) does and does not happen outside of Disney? And what rules are or are not in place at all pet friendly hotels? I do hope so..because it’s disheartening to see so much bad information and wild hysteria being spread (that line is not just referencing you, more like all of the crazy stories from non dog owners and non with-dog travelers who are suddenly hotel-behavior-of-dogs-experts).

Whatever you do in the real world sounds neat! I’ll buy you a drink next time we’re both staying at Disney or otherwise. Seriously... I love travel so I think we would have a good time. My boy doesn’t travel with me as often these days...but don’t worry, if he is there, he will probably be back in the room, alone. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom