What pets outside of dogs should WDW allow in Hotel rooms?

What pets outside of dogs should WDW allow in Hotel rooms?

• Fish

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • cats

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • Hamsters

• Birds

• Snakes

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • rabbits

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • iguana

Votes: 10 5.4%
  • crabs

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • other - Means outside of dogs and outside of the potential pets already mentioned

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • None

Votes: 122 65.9%

• Total voters

J_Carioca

Sadly it is what it is until one of these well trained wonder dogs bites a child then they will stop the nonsense.

Oh for heaven's sake...what are you even talking about? How is a dog in a hotel room going to bite someone? And what are you referring to when you say "the nonsense"? Dogs staying at hotels? As has been stated multiple times, a zillion hotel chains and independent hotels and motels allow dogs. This is not a big deal, people.

jaklgreen

Oh for heaven's sake...what are you even talking about? How is a dog in a hotel room going to bite someone? And what are you referring to when you say "the nonsense"? Dogs staying at hotels? As has been stated multiple times, a zillion hotel chains and independent hotels and motels allow dogs. This is not a big deal, people.

Dogs will not be limited to the rooms. They have to go out and do their business. There will be people who will take their dogs for walks around the resorts, not to mention they have to get to and from their rooms. You know there will be some who bring the dogs with them to the food court for their morning coffee and leave them in the care of their 10 year old while they run inside. If there are rules to be broken, then someone vacationing at WDW will break them. I see way too much bad behavior from the guests that throwing fur babies into the mix when people already have an entitled attitude is not going to end well. People way too often feel like they can do whatever they want until someone calls them out on it, even when they know it is wrong. Better to ask forgiveness then permission is the common mindset now.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Oh yeah.. that one time that I was outside of Disney World.
I appreciate the googling and links.. I really do.
You can read your posts about “boutique hotels” while ignoring all other major brands.. Maybe we’re actually in agreement on what (in reality) does and does not happen outside of Disney? And what rules are or are not in place at all pet friendly hotels? I do hope so..because it’s disheartening to see so much bad information and wild hysteria being spread (that line is not just referencing you, more like all of the crazy stories from non dog owners and non with-dog travelers who are suddenly hotel-behavior-of-dogs-experts).

Whatever you do in the real world sounds neat! I’ll buy you a drink next time we’re both staying at Disney or otherwise. Seriously... I love travel so I think we would have a good time. My boy doesn’t travel with me as often these days...but don’t worry, if he is there, he will probably be back in the room, alone. :)
The boutique discussion is pointless. Let’s just drop it.

Let me try to simplify my point of view here. I acknowledge that many hotels of many sizes have pet friendly policies. Most people who travel with dogs know this. Some people who don’t travel with dogs are still aware of the existence of dog friendly hotels. Some probably probably aren’t aware. So far I hope we can agree on all this.

You are implying with your posts that because other hotels allow dogs and there are not a lot of known issues it should work at Disney resorts too. I don’t disagree that a pet friendly policy can work at Disney too if it’s structured properly. As I have said numerous times Disney vacations are a different animal. Policies need to be more restrictive there to prevent abuse by some guests. I don’t need to have any knowledge or experience with traveling with dogs to know that Disney guests have a long and well documented history of finding loopholes and gaming systems. I’m not worried about pet parents who are seasoned dog travelers. I’m worried for example about the other guests who will see $50 as a discount to the $100+ it might cost to board their 2 dogs. Will they honor the “7 hour” rule as well as they honored the “drink refills” rules or the rule against parking at Disney Springs for free and hopping a bus to a park for the day?

I think where we fundamentally disagree is that you don’t think anyone who isn’t a regular visitor to pet friendly hotels can have a valid opinion on how this policy should work or even if the policy should exist.

21stamps

The boutique discussion is pointless. Let’s just drop it.

Let me try to simplify my point of view here. I acknowledge that many hotels of many sizes have pet friendly policies. Most people who travel with dogs know this. Some people who don’t travel with dogs are still aware of the existence of dog friendly hotels. Some probably probably aren’t aware. So far I hope we can agree on all this.

You are implying with your posts that because other hotels allow dogs and there are not a lot of known issues it should work at Disney resorts too. I don’t disagree that a pet friendly policy can work at Disney too if it’s structured properly. As I have said numerous times Disney vacations are a different animal. Policies need to be more restrictive there to prevent abuse by some guests. I don’t need to have any knowledge or experience with traveling with dogs to know that Disney guests have a long and well documented history of finding loopholes and gaming systems. I’m not worried about pet parents who are seasoned dog travelers. I’m worried for example about the other guests who will see $50 as a discount to the $100+ it might cost to board their 2 dogs. Will they honor the “7 hour” rule as well as they honored the “drink refills” rules or the rule against parking at Disney Springs for free and hopping a bus to a park for the day?

I think where we fundamentally disagree is that you don’t think anyone who isn’t a regular visitor to pet friendly hotels can have a valid opinion on how this policy should work or even if the policy should exist.

Some Disney guests are definitely different animals. Agree completely. We see it constantly on the internet and in person.

I personally think where we fundamentally disagree is with the following -

*The vast majority of travelers (to anywhere) do not spend time scouting websites to find out exact pet policies.* As I’ve shown, they are usually a little buried, not front and center.. and most pet owners then pick up the phone to call. Most non pet owners proceed with booking thru the website.. probably clueless about the pet policy.

*Most pet friendly hotels do not see major issues.* This we know because we can go read reviews online before we book a hotel.

*Most pet friendly hotels are not overrun with many pets all at once*. Again, reviews can show this.

Overreactions and misinformation based on fantasy scenarios are opinions yes, but misinformation should be corrected sometimes.. hopefully that’s acceptable instead of everyone joining in the hysteria.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Some Disney guests are definitely different animals. Agree completely. We see it constantly on the internet and in person.

I personally think where we fundamentally disagree is with the following -

*The vast majority of travelers (to anywhere) do not spend time scouting websites to find out exact pet policies.* As I’ve shown, they are usually a little buried, not front and center.. and most pet owners then pick up the phone to call. Most non pet owners proceed with booking thru the website.
I don’t disagree with this. Again, Disney is a different animal. There are probably hundreds of websites plus social media groups dedicated to it. Some focus on ways to game the system. It’s true that the average person staying at the average hotel probably doesn’t think about a pet policy. Disney is not average.
*Most pet friendly hotels do not see major issues.* This we know because we can go read reviews online before we book a hotel.

*Most pet friendly hotels are not overrun with many pets all at once*. Again, reviews can show this.
I don’t disagree with either of these things. If hotels that are pet friendly had more dogs in them the policy would probably fail. It’s a small enough percentage that it’s not disruptive. So far the same should be true at Disney.

Overreactions and misinformation based on fantasy scenarios are opinions yes, but misinformation should be corrected sometimes.. hopefully that’s acceptable instead of everyone joining in the hysteria.
Not sure what you consider misinformation. Maybe some other posts besides mine:). Some of the posts about attacks may be a little over the top, but I also think it’s a fantasy scenario that the only people who will potentially use this policy are all well traveled dogs.

IMHO there are a few pretty easy to spot issues with the current policy that could be addressed that could solve the vast majority of the issues. We’ll see if Disney tweaks the policy or just leaves it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Dogs will not be limited to the rooms. They have to go out and do their business. There will be people who will take their dogs for walks around the resorts, not to mention they have to get to and from their rooms. You know there will be some who bring the dogs with them to the food court for their morning coffee and leave them in the care of their 10 year old while they run inside. If there are rules to be broken, then someone vacationing at WDW will break them. I see way too much bad behavior from the guests that throwing fur babies into the mix when people already have an entitled attitude is not going to end well. People way too often feel like they can do whatever they want until someone calls them out on it, even when they know it is wrong. Better to ask forgiveness then permission is the common mindset now.
So far it’s against state law in FL to bring a pet dog into an indoor restaurant so the food court should in theory be safe. It is legal for outdoor seating though. That being said I agree with your point that people at WDW tend to break rules or even laws when not challenged like stealing soda or feeding wild gators. The rules should be made to help CMs easily enforce them. Black and white is easier than creating grey areas. For example dogs will be allowed in the lobby and shops but not food areas and not on the furniture. That’s a lot harder to monitor and enforce than no dogs in indoor common areas.

21stamps

I don’t disagree with this. Again, Disney is a different animal. There are probably hundreds of websites plus social media groups dedicated to it. Some focus on ways to game the system. It’s true that the average person staying at the average hotel probably doesn’t think about a pet policy. Disney is not average.

I don’t disagree with either of these things. If hotels that are pet friendly had more dogs in them the policy would probably fail. It’s a small enough percentage that it’s not disruptive. So far the same should be true at Disney.

Not sure what you consider misinformation. Maybe some other posts besides mine:). Some of the posts about attacks may be a little over the top, but I also think it’s a fantasy scenario that the only people who will potentially use this policy are all well traveled dogs.

IMHO there are a few pretty easy to spot issues with the current policy that could be addressed that could solve the vast majority of the issues. We’ll see if Disney tweaks the policy or just leaves it.

This post..
So far it’s against state law in FL to bring a pet dog into an indoor restaurant so the food court should in theory be safe. It is legal for outdoor seating though. That being said I agree with your point that people at WDW tend to break rules or even laws when not challenged like stealing soda or feeding wild gators. The rules should be made to help CMs easily enforce them. Black and white is easier than creating grey areas. For example dogs will be allowed in the lobby and shops but not food areas and not on the furniture. That’s a lot harder to monitor and enforce than no dogs in indoor common areas.

..is the best example of how socialized-pet people and non socialized-pet people view things very differently.

Pet friendly should mean friendly to pets.. not just “we’ll let your dog stay, as long as you keep him out of sight!”

Pools, indoor restaurants, I’m in full agreement.. but the rest of the “tweaks” you’ve suggested are very much ‘pet unfriendly’.

I will be interested to see how this policy goes, and how Disney people react to it in person.
I will admit that I’ve been becoming a bit cynical lately.. between social media posts about Disney and websites with Disney comments.. I’m starting to wonder if it really is an alternate universe.. and I definitely wonder when/how this happened. I love Disney, so much, but I think I view it very differently than a lot of people apparently. It will probably be good that I won’t have internet access for a week ;).

Pixieish

This post..

..is the best example of how socialized-pet people and non socialized-pet people view things very differently.

Pet friendly should mean friendly to pets.. not just “we’ll let your dog stay, as long as you keep him out of sight!”

Pools, indoor restaurants, I’m in full agreement.. but the rest of the “tweaks” you’ve suggested are very much ‘pet unfriendly’.

I will be interested to see how this policy goes, and how Disney people react to it in person.
I will admit that I’ve been becoming a bit cynical lately.. between social media posts about Disney and websites with Disney comments.. I’m starting to wonder if it really is an alternate universe.. and I definitely wonder when/how this happened. I love Disney, so much, but I think I view it very differently than a lot of people apparently. It will probably be good that I won’t have internet access for a week ;).

I'm on board with both of you. My concern isn't the dogs in and of themselves, it's with the plethora of entitled jack-knobs that seems to be growing in number every. single. year. and that chooses to visit Disney parks and resorts, and with the lack of forethought put into the rollout of this policy (not to mention the lack of management backing CMs on any other rules).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This post..

Like I’ve been saying...WDW is a different animal.

I think there’s got to be some middle ground. It works for the Loews hotels at Universal. Pet friendly doesn’t have to mean dogs can go anywhere but restaurants. Do dog owners really need to bring their dogs into shops? Do they really need to take them into the lobby (other than check-in)? There are plenty of outdoor paths and a places to go. If successful maybe they could even add a small fenced in dog park area at each resort and/or a dedicated snack bar with outdoor patio that is dog friendly.

I think it’s a slippery slope when you start telling people it’s OK to bring your dog into a shop or inside at a resort but not Disney Springs and not the parks.

Pixieish

Like I’ve been saying...WDW is a different animal.

I think there’s got to be some middle ground. It works for the Loews hotels at Universal. Pet friendly doesn’t have to mean dogs can go anywhere but restaurants. Do dog owners really need to bring their dogs into shops? Do they really need to take them into the lobby (other than check-in)? There are plenty of outdoor paths and a places to go. If successful maybe they could even add a small fenced in dog park area at each resort and/or a dedicated snack bar with outdoor patio that is dog friendly.

I think it’s a slippery slope when you start telling people it’s OK to bring your dog into a shop or inside at a resort but not Disney Springs and not the parks.

Different animal = jackknob attractor. ;)

ninjaprincesst

Hello the dogs have to be taken outside and kids are kids the inevitable is going to happen and one will get bit. And yes it is nonsense and a big deal, poor dogs get to have a lovely time cramped in a hotel room all day by themselves, where they will proceed to poop and pee all over and spread dander and fleas and ticks, not to mention people will walk them wherever they please and not in designated areas and won't clean up after them. Yes there are hotels that allow dogs but the very nature of a Disney vacation makes it a terrible idea.

J_Carioca

Hello the dogs have to be taken outside and kids are kids the inevitable is going to happen and one will get bit. And yes it is nonsense and a big deal, poor dogs get to have a lovely time cramped in a hotel room all day by themselves, where they will proceed to poop and pee all over and spread dander and fleas and ticks, not to mention people will walk them wherever they please and not in designated areas and won't clean up after them. Yes there are hotels that allow dogs but the very nature of a Disney vacation makes it a terrible idea.

Okay. I have a dog. I like Disney. When I heard about the Disney hotels allowing dogs, it occurred to me that we could take our dog, have him with us in the hotel at night and take him to the kennel (Best Friends) for daycare. It never occurred to me to leave him in the hotel all day. Having said that, given Disney's transport system (and the fact that people are on vacation when they're there), there's nothing to stop you leaving the dog in the room during the day and going back multiple times to take the dog out and spend time there. Most people that care enough about their dog to take them on vacation are probably not going to neglect the dog, or let it do damage.

Your post is verging on hysterical...actually, it is hysterical. "poop and pee all over and spread dander and fleas and ticks..." Good god. Have you ever actually met a dog? They've actually been quite domesticated in the past ten thousand years or so and are no longer wild beasts. Have you heard of a thing called housebreaking? Most dog owners think it's a really good idea. My dog never, and I mean never, goes in the house. Which is a lot more than I can say for babies and toddlers, and no one gets in a snit about them staying in a hotel room.

Chill.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Okay. I have a dog. I like Disney. When I heard about the Disney hotels allowing dogs, it occurred to me that we could take our dog, have him with us in the hotel at night and take him to the kennel (Best Friends) for daycare. It never occurred to me to leave him in the hotel all day. Having said that, given Disney's transport system (and the fact that people are on vacation when they're there), there's nothing to stop you leaving the dog in the room during the day and going back multiple times to take the dog out and spend time there. Most people that care enough about their dog to take them on vacation are probably not going to neglect the dog, or let it do damage.
What you described with having the dog with you at night and using the daycare during the day is pretty much how Loews at Universal works. They allow dogs but they cannot be left in the room unattended.

I am not as optimistic that ALL of the people who bring their dogs will act responsibly. I do think the vast majority will but not all. The policy says you can only leave the dog for 7 hours but there is no practical way to enforce that. Disney is such a time sensitive vacation for a lot of people. Many people book ADRs 6 months in advance and ride reservations 60 days out. It also takes quite a bit of time in most cases to get from your hotel room to a specific park and back. If the unattended dog starts barking in the room the policy is that the owner will be contacted and given 30 minutes to return to the room. Imagine a hypothetical scenario where the dog owner leaves their room at 8am for a breakfast ADR at Cindy’s Royal Table. They arrive at the restaurant a little before their 9am reservation and they get the call that the dog is barking in the room. They should according to the policy return to the hotel to deal with the issue but they really want to experience this meal, they woke up at 6am exactly 180 days out to get this ADR and also Disney will charge them a cancellation fee for not showing up. My gut tells me that at least some people in that scenario are going to eat their meal and then go back for the dog after. They may not get back to the hotel until several hours after they received that call. I know this is an extreme example but it’s not uncommon at WDW. You can swap an ADR for breakfast with a Fast Pass reservation for something super popular like FoP or maybe waiting an hour or longer for a parade/fireworks viewing spot. If you go back for the dog you won’t likely get another chance to experience what you are giving up on this trip. That’s the big difference between WDW and a lot of other vacation experiences.

I’m not worried about dog attacks or anything irrational, but Disney can be logistically challenging even without a dog in the mix. Some people may just hang at the resort or only spend limited time in the parks to be there for their dog, but I think there will likely be some other people who will still try to go theme park commando and have their dog in the room. They have the potential to be a problem, not the responsible dog owners.

Pixieish

What you described with having the dog with you at night and using the daycare during the day is pretty much how Loews at Universal works. They allow dogs but they cannot be left in the room unattended.

I am not as optimistic that ALL of the people who bring their dogs will act responsibly. I do think the vast majority will but not all. The policy says you can only leave the dog for 7 hours but there is no practical way to enforce that. Disney is such a time sensitive vacation for a lot of people. Many people book ADRs 6 months in advance and ride reservations 60 days out. It also takes quite a bit of time in most cases to get from your hotel room to a specific park and back. If the unattended dog starts barking in the room the policy is that the owner will be contacted and given 30 minutes to return to the room. Imagine a hypothetical scenario where the dog owner leaves their room at 8am for a breakfast ADR at Cindy’s Royal Table. They arrive at the restaurant a little before their 9am reservation and they get the call that the dog is barking in the room. They should according to the policy return to the hotel to deal with the issue but they really want to experience this meal, they woke up at 6am exactly 180 days out to get this ADR and also Disney will charge them a cancellation fee for not showing up. My gut tells me that at least some people in that scenario are going to eat their meal and then go back for the dog after. They may not get back to the hotel until several hours after they received that call. I know this is an extreme example but it’s not uncommon at WDW. You can swap an ADR for breakfast with a Fast Pass reservation for something super popular like FoP or maybe waiting an hour or longer for a parade/fireworks viewing spot. If you go back for the dog you won’t likely get another chance to experience what you are giving up on this trip. That’s the big difference between WDW and a lot of other vacation experiences.

I’m not worried about dog attacks or anything irrational, but Disney can be logistically challenging even without a dog in the mix. Some people may just hang at the resort or only spend limited time in the parks to be there for their dog, but I think there will likely be some other people who will still try to go theme park commando and have their dog in the room. They have the potential to be a problem, not the responsible dog owners.
^^^ This. Irresponsible/selfish people have the potential to ruin it for everyone...just like everything else. (Tom Sawyer Island paintbrushes, for example.)

ninjaprincesst

Your post is verging on hysterical...actually, it is hysterical. "poop and pee all over and spread dander and fleas and ticks..." Good god. Have you ever actually met a dog? They've actually been quite domesticated in the past ten thousand years or so and are no longer wild beasts. Have you heard of a thing called housebreaking? Most dog owners think it's a really good idea. My dog never, and I mean never, goes in the house. Which is a lot more than I can say for babies and toddlers, and no one gets in a snit about them staying in a hotel room.

Chill.
No that is reality, when you walk in someones house that has a dog it stinks like dog, they have fleas, they have ticks, and you don't dare sit on the furniture because you will be covered in dog hair, and I seriously doubt that anyone is gong to waste half of their vacation coming back and fourth to let the dog out. And how are you going to stop a dog in the room alone from doing damage? And yes dogs can be housebroken , however they can only hold it so long, and when the poor thing is drug across the country and left all alone in an unfamiliar place, they will act out in the only way they know how, and that's to potty and poop on things, and even if they don't their smell is left in the room. And no matter what Disney's rules are people are going to have their dogs out where they are not supposed to and bad things are going to happen. No I am not hysterical, but when I pay disney prices i do not want to deal with a nasty dog room. i also love my pets enough to leave them at home where they are happy and not cooped up in some room, or even worse in a tiny kennel. Disney is just not the place for dogs. No matter how they try to have "sections" of rooms for dogs eventually an overbooking situation is going to happen and someone is going to get stuck in a nasty dog room.

bigrigross

No that is reality, when you walk in someones house that has a dog it stinks like dog, they have fleas, they have ticks, and you don't dare sit on the furniture because you will be covered in dog hair, and I seriously doubt that anyone is gong to waste half of their vacation coming back and fourth to let the dog out. And how are you going to stop a dog in the room alone from doing damage? And yes dogs can be housebroken , however they can only hold it so long, and when the poor thing is drug across the country and left all alone in an unfamiliar place, they will act out in the only way they know how, and that's to potty and poop on things, and even if they don't their smell is left in the room. And no matter what Disney's rules are people are going to have their dogs out where they are not supposed to and bad things are going to happen. No I am not hysterical, but when I pay disney prices i do not want to deal with a nasty dog room. i also love my pets enough to leave them at home where they are happy and not cooped up in some room, or even worse in a tiny kennel. Disney is just not the place for dogs. No matter how they try to have "sections" of rooms for dogs eventually an overbooking situation is going to happen and someone is going to get stuck in a nasty dog room.

And human children can have lice, ticks, pinworms, and bedbugs. Difference between humans and dogs is that most normal people pay for prevention for fleas and ticks. You cant prevent lice, ticks, pinworms, or bedbugs on humans. It is only treatable after the fact. And I am 100% sure that their are more people who stay at disney or other hotels that accept dogs that have had one of those ailments than the amount of untreated dogs at a hotel. As said before in this forum, most people who travel with their pets, take care of their pets.

Pet hair, well nothing I can say about that one. Brushing helps but if you have dogs, pet hair comes with the territory. And lets not even start talking about how a house with children doesnt smell. Both houses with dogs or with kids smell. Houses that have both have both smells. If you clean your house like a normal person, then the smell should be minimal on both sides. So please dont start with the children do not stink up a house. People without kids can smell it.

ninjaprincesst

And human children can have lice, ticks, pinworms, and bedbugs. Difference between humans and dogs is that most normal people pay for prevention for fleas and ticks. You cant prevent lice, ticks, pinworms, or bedbugs on humans. It is only treatable after the fact. And I am 100% sure that their are more people who stay at disney or other hotels that accept dogs that have had one of those ailments than the amount of untreated dogs at a hotel. As said before in this forum, most people who travel with their pets, take care of their pets.

Pet hair, well nothing I can say about that one. Brushing helps but if you have dogs, pet hair comes with the territory. And lets not even start talking about how a house with children doesnt smell. Both houses with dogs or with kids smell. Houses that have both have both smells. If you clean your house like a normal person, then the smell should be minimal on both sides. So please dont start with the children do not stink up a house. People without kids can smell it.
There is zero reason to bring a dog on vacation, and I don't care what you say clean children do not have lice or ticks or pinworms. And yes you can prevent all of those tings on humans, and humans don't bark all not, they don't leave dander and hair, they don't bite, I just don't see how anyone can think this is a good idea. And no no one has ever walked in my house and smelled my child, nor has my child ever had lice or ticks or pinworms.

bigrigross

There is zero reason to bring a dog on vacation, and I don't care what you say clean children do not have lice or ticks or pinworms. And yes you can prevent all of those tings on humans, and humans don't bark all not, they don't leave dander and hair, they don't bite, I just don't see how anyone can think this is a good idea. And no no one has ever walked in my house and smelled my child, nor has my child ever had lice or ticks or pinworms.

Clean children do not get lice or pinworm..... You know how ignorant that sounds? It doesnt matter how clean you are to get that. All it takes is for one person to get it, and bring it with them to school and bam, other people are now infected. Lice and pinworm does not care about how clean you are..... Also, their is no human medicine to prevent lice or pinworm. None. Dogs on the other hand have a monthly medication that literally prevents any infection of fleas or ticks.

Also... Humans dont leave dander or hair huh? Interesting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom