What pets outside of dogs should WDW allow in Hotel rooms?

What pets outside of dogs should WDW allow in Hotel rooms?

• Fish

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • cats

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • Hamsters

• Birds

• Snakes

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • rabbits

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • iguana

Votes: 10 5.4%
  • crabs

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • other - Means outside of dogs and outside of the potential pets already mentioned

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • None

Votes: 122 65.9%

• Total voters

Pixieish

So you are asking Disney to break Federal Law to deny walk up dogs? I believe many are posting without any genuine understanding of ADA laws in place demanding proof from disabled people Asking for proof of disability or proving need has been outlawed for a long time as is demanding verification. This is why I have a problem with some of these posts, lack of general knowledge of the Americans with Disabilities ACT. Just blows my mind that people want to Deny disable people that buy tickets day of from entering WDW or anywhere else.

I questioned the statements of MOST SERVICE DOGS ARE FAKE AT WDW. I asked for a source of that information and the poster doesn't have time. Friends, Bus Drivers, Guests do not have the ability to authenticate anything it is a knee jerk judgement no more no less.

We have posters claiming now if a service animal is in a stroller that automatically without any source deems the animal a fake. Can the small diabetic detecting dogs or seizure dogs be pushed in a stroller, Certainly. Short little legs, long days in the parks, hot pavement on small thinner pads on their paws, a stroller or a vest would not void their ability to detect and warn their owner. A service dog traveling in a crate does not make him not a service dog to the veteran with post traumatic stress disorder.

Sure there will be people who try and sneak a dog in. But when we start believing and making random posts without any creditable sources that MOST SERVICE DOGS AT WDW ARE FAKE it becomes as fake as the poster is when there isn't any sourcing to back up that very specific statement. To date I've yet to see Disney compiling any data on FAKE vs REAL service dogs in the parks numbers. Facebook posts to similar to many of these are not data, posts about MOST being FAKE isn't data either. So without reputable sourcing to back it up is as fake as many are claiming the service dogs are. I have a great deal of compassion for disabled people and believe strongly in service animals to help the disabled people. My urging is to be cautious about what everyone is posting as accurate and that the sources have documented. Bus driver type verification, a friend said, someone posted it on the internet doesn't mean it has been vetted to be true statistics. Starting to take pictures of guests and posting them and labeling those guests as fakers and liars isn't a good idea. Actually very wreckless.

Until someone can provide real numbers, number of service dogs per day at Disney, the number authenticated as real vs fake I find this type of reporting of facts terribly disingenuous and insultingly disrespectful to disabled guests and those who utilize service dogs. Can you only imagine how a disabled person would think of the idea of denying them entry to the park because they made a spontaneous trip? I would call that discrimination. I guess what I am hoping for is members to be a bit more responsible in their accusations. Walking the world showcase anyone can say fake but equally true these accusations can be fake. I cringe at the idea of posting photos of guests here accusing them of not being disabled without any real proof.

Do we really know this was a service dog in training or was he really just a fake dog and his owner wanted him to meet Pluto? Is the dog a fake because the owner allowed him to approach Pluto?
The poster you quoted was asking very legitimate questions and admitted right away that they are unfamiliar with the law. Please don't go trying to shame them just because you insist on believing that every dog in Disney parks is actually a real service animal. I personally know someone who bought a pit-bull puppy and claimed to be having it "trained" as a service animal for her child that is on the autism spectrum. Based on both the dog's and her behavior that I personally have witnessed, I would say that she's been lying through her teeth about any kind of training and that she'll likely just go online and purchase fake credentials. Service animals behave a specific way and if they are not behaving as such and are being disruptive, it can be requested that they leave the premises, service dog or not (per the ADA website).

Fake service animals are an issue everywhere. Disney's policy is even looser than federal law.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Okay, just for fun I googled "are fake service dogs a problem". Guess how many results came up...a ton. On the first page alone are articles from three news sources. There are also articles on websites specifically about dogs. The rest of the world acknowledges that fake service animals are a problem.

I'm not seeing anything that says MOST DOGS AT WDW ARE FAKE, link that source please.

Pixieish

So you are asking Disney to break Federal Law to deny walk up dogs? I believe many are posting without any genuine understanding of ADA laws in place demanding proof from disabled people Asking for proof of disability or proving need has been outlawed for a long time as is demanding verification. This is why I have a problem with some of these posts, lack of general knowledge of the Americans with Disabilities ACT. Just blows my mind that people want to Deny disable people that buy tickets day of from entering WDW or anywhere else.

I questioned the statements of MOST SERVICE DOGS ARE FAKE AT WDW. I asked for a source of that information and the poster doesn't have time. Friends, Bus Drivers, Guests do not have the ability to authenticate anything it is a knee jerk judgement no more no less.

We have posters claiming now if a service animal is in a stroller that automatically without any source deems the animal a fake. Can the small diabetic detecting dogs or seizure dogs be pushed in a stroller, Certainly. Short little legs, long days in the parks, hot pavement on small thinner pads on their paws, a stroller or a vest would not void their ability to detect and warn their owner. A service dog traveling in a crate does not make him not a service dog to the veteran with post traumatic stress disorder.

Sure there will be people who try and sneak a dog in. But when we start believing and making random posts without any creditable sources that MOST SERVICE DOGS AT WDW ARE FAKE it becomes as fake as the poster is when there isn't any sourcing to back up that very specific statement. To date I've yet to see Disney compiling any data on FAKE vs REAL service dogs in the parks numbers. Facebook posts to similar to many of these are not data, posts about MOST being FAKE isn't data either. So without reputable sourcing to back it up is as fake as many are claiming the service dogs are. I have a great deal of compassion for disabled people and believe strongly in service animals to help the disabled people. My urging is to be cautious about what everyone is posting as accurate and that the sources have documented. Bus driver type verification, a friend said, someone posted it on the internet doesn't mean it has been vetted to be true statistics. Starting to take pictures of guests and posting them and labeling those guests as fakers and liars isn't a good idea. Actually very wreckless.

Until someone can provide real numbers, number of service dogs per day at Disney, the number authenticated as real vs fake I find this type of reporting of facts terribly disingenuous and insultingly disrespectful to disabled guests and those who utilize service dogs. Can you only imagine how a disabled person would think of the idea of denying them entry to the park because they made a spontaneous trip? I would call that discrimination. I guess what I am hoping for is members to be a bit more responsible in their accusations. Walking the world showcase anyone can say fake but equally true these accusations can be fake. I cringe at the idea of posting photos of guests here accusing them of not being disabled without any real proof.

Do we really know this was a service dog in training or was he really just a fake dog and his owner wanted him to meet Pluto? Is the dog a fake because the owner allowed him to approach Pluto?
Also, since I have 2 children on the autism spectrum myself and have done some research in the past, are you aware that the care and training of a service dog for a child with autism typically costs in the neighborhood of $20,000+? These aren't your everyday pooches going to obedience school...they are trained to perform very specific functions. The same could be said for ANY service dog. The reason I complain so vehemently about false service animals is because my sons fall into a group of those people who would benefit from having one. I complained just as loudly about people hiring "tour guides" in wheelchairs so that they could abuse what is now called the DAS card. Fortunately, Disney changed the rules so that is no longer an issue. (We've never needed to use the DAS card, but it is very comforting to know its there, should the need ever arise.) I have ZERO issue with service dogs OR those who need to use the DAS pass. My issue is with the people who abuse the system.

Gabe1

The poster you quoted was asking very legitimate questions and admitted right away that they are unfamiliar with the law. Please don't go trying to shame them just because you insist on believing that every dog in Disney parks is actually a real service animal. I personally know someone who bought a pit-bull puppy and claimed to be having it "trained" as a service animal for her child that is on the autism spectrum. Based on both the dog's and her behavior that I personally have witnessed, I would say that she's been lying through her teeth about any kind of training and that she'll likely just go online and purchase fake credentials. Service animals behave a specific way and if they are not behaving as such and are being disruptive, it can be requested that they leave the premises, service dog or not (per the ADA website).

Fake service animals are an issue everywhere. Disney's policy is even looser than federal law.

I was not shaming. It is reality. It is law. Asking for proof of a disability or Proof of need is against the law. It further breaks HIPPA laws. Suggesting Disney ignore such laws isn't shaming it is just ignorance of the law and that is no excuse according to Federal Law. That is why I am wishing people just not accuse most people at WDW utilizing service dogs as Fakes. That is shameful unless it can be documented as truthful.

I didn't state there is not a fake service dogs. What I keep asking you specifically for is your source. You specific post claiming that MOST SERVICE DOGS AT WDW ARE FAKE. Most is more than 50% where is that number being vetted from? Where is that data? I further questioned where it is stated that a seizure dog or a diabetic detection dog can not be in a stroller??? I cannot find that in any Federal Law, I went back and checked. Nowhere am I finding in news reports that Most Service Dogs are Fake because their owners lied. Which news outlet has stated that about WDW specifically?

Pixieish

I was not shaming. It is reality. It is law. Asking for proof of a disability or Proof of need is against the law. It further breaks HIPPA laws. Suggesting Disney ignore such laws isn't shaming it is just ignorance of the law and that is no excuse according to Federal Law. That is why I am wishing people just not accuse most people at WDW utilizing service dogs as Fakes. That is shameful unless it can be documented as truthful.

I didn't state there is not a fake service dogs. What I keep asking you specifically for is your source. You specific post claiming that MOST SERVICE DOGS AT WDW ARE FAKE. Most is more than 50% where is that number being vetted from? Where is that data? I further questioned where it is stated that a seizure dog or a diabetic detection dog can not be in a stroller??? I cannot find that in any Federal Law, I went back and checked. Nowhere am I finding in news reports that Most Service Dogs are Fake because their owners lied. Which news outlet has stated that about WDW specifically?

The way you phrased your first question in response to them indicated that you felt they specifically want Disney to break the law.

I'm done. Obviously I should have said "many" instead of most, but you're just intent on arguing semantics and "proof" and refuse to see the bigger picture. I am basing my OPINION on my own and my close friends' experiences with dogs in the parks, as well as reports of "service dogs" behaving badly as well as the number of entitled, obnoxious humans that tend to frequent Disney parks. I am entitled to my opinion, just as much as you are yours.

And since you're so intent on arguing semantics, it's "I didn't state there AREN'T fake service dogs".

Gabe1

Someone else on these forums reported seeing 2 fake service dogs - one in a stroller and one jumping up on someone and barking. This was either last weekend (right before Halloween) or the one prior.
And that was proven how? I sure hope it was a responsible post and not just another random accusation.

MOST of the "service dogs" you see at Disney World are fakes because their owners lied so they could bring them into the parks.

A "true" service animal does not ride in a stroller, does not sit/lie on tables where humans usually eat, etc. etc. etc. And please don't try to tell me that no one lies to bring their dogs to the parks. They most certainly do, and I've also witnessed people in FB groups and even on this forum encouraging the lying.
I've never seen that in the ACT. What is a TRUE service animal. The law doesn't allow for a service animal in a stroller? link please
Also, since I have 2 children on the autism spectrum myself and have done some research in the past, are you aware that the care and training of a service dog for a child with autism typically costs in the neighborhood of $20,000+? These aren't your everyday pooches going to obedience school...they are trained to perform very specific functions. The same could be said for ANY service dog. The reason I complain so vehemently about false service animals is because my sons fall into a group of those people who would benefit from having one. I complained just as loudly about people hiring "tour guides" in wheelchairs so that they could abuse what is now called the DAS card. Fortunately, Disney changed the rules so that is no longer an issue. (We've never needed to use the DAS card, but it is very comforting to know its there, should the need ever arise.) I have ZERO issue with service dogs OR those who need to use the DAS pass. My issue is with the people who abuse the system.

Since you visit the Chit Chat thread you are aware I've sat on our local school board as an elected official for many years. I've spoken many times on that thread for years of the service dog we have in our Primary building for the student with Autism that has a lab as a service animal and the good this animal did for this student. It costs the district a great deal for special transportation and a one on one aide. We do so because we are ADA compliant. We did not have authority nor desire to question the need, the animal or if it was a fake or a real service dog. We made arrangements and complied. It is the law.

Rather than just keep answering questions that were not asked why not just pony up the source of your vetted data that Most Service Dogs at WDW are Fake and that their owners lied? And that Service Dogs in Strollers are Fake?

I know it has becoming a 'thing' and is very vogue to call people out using the word FAKE on social media. Still often when it Fact Checked it is often found as not accurate. If this claim is genuinely not fake news just link the stories and data about Most Service Dogs at WDW are FAKE and the information about Service animals in Strollers being all being FAKE.

Pixieish

So, being that you’re on the school board (which I was unaware of as there were too many pages in the other thread for me to read them all), you are aware that if the dog behaved in a disruptive manner that you would be within your rights to request that it be removed?

I am fully aware of what the law is, and the law needs MAJOR work because it is indeed (to use your words) becoming a “thing” to lie about the status of your dog to bring them to the parks (among other places), just like it became a “thing” to hire people in wheelchairs for front-of-the-line access, and just like it became a “thing” to game the system to get unlimited fast passes. History has shown us that when it comes to being at Disney, if there is a loophole that can be exploited, people will do it and will even pay for the privilege. If we can’t learn from history, then we are doomed as a society.

Obviously I’ve struck a nerve someplace with you, and if that’s the case I apologize. I’ve already admitted that this is all my opinion, but you insist on repeatedly beating a dead horse.

As I stated before, I’ve seen this despicable behavior suggested and encouraged in multiple forums and groups with upwards of 100,000 members each, including this one. Combine the rapid spread of information with the history of system and rule abuse at Disney parks AND the instances of complaints of dogs on tables, pulling at leashes, etc. etc., and I think it’s foolish of anyone to think that widespread abuse isn’t already happening.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is why I have a problem with some of these posts, lack of general knowledge of the Americans with Disabilities ACT. Just blows my mind that people want to Deny disable people that buy tickets day of from entering WDW or anywhere else.
For people without a disability it's very possible that they don't know every detail of the ADA. I don't think anyone is implying that they want to deny actual disabled people anything. It's the abusers that people have a problem with. I said this in the other thread, but the ADA was written and passed back in the 90s before social media and even the internet as we know it today. People have figured out ways to game the system and are spreading that knowledge online in ways never imagined by the original writers of the bill. It's probably time to consider an amendment to setup some sort of database of registered service dogs. It's done with handicap parking spaces and in other areas without a major inconvenience to the real disabled people.
This is true. Real service animals go beyond the classic seeing eye dogs. One point of clarification, emotional support animals, comfort animals, and therapy dogs are not service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA. While emotional support animals are often used as part of a medical treatment plan as therapy animals, they are not considered service animals under the ADA. These support animals provide companionship, relieve loneliness, and sometimes help with depression, anxiety, and certain phobias, but do not have special training to perform tasks that assist people with disabilities. In your example of a person with PTSD the dog would need to perform a specific task like reminding the handler to take medicine, providing safety checks or room searches, or turning on lights for the person with PTSD. Providing emotional support alone would not qualify the dog as a service animal.

There are no publicly available stats on real vs fake just like there were no public stats on GAC abuse. The best Disney would probably have is general statistics. So for example if 0.001% of the population uses a service dog and 1% of WDW guests are entering with a service dog then there is likely abuse (I made those numbers up as an extreme example - no idea what the real number is). I have seen no evidence of this becoming a big problem at WDW but based on purely anecdotal evidence there are more dogs in WDW than in the past and especially ones that don't fit the mold of seeing eye dog. Maybe that's due to abuse or maybe it's due to more dogs being trained to do more tasks than in the past.

J_Carioca

FFS. From the posts here you'd think that Disney was encouraging people to bring wild wolves to the hotels AND the parks and to leave them alone in the hotel for fifteen hours a day and make sure that they sleep in the hotel beds and soil as much of the room as possible. Guess what, people, literally millions of hotels around the world allow dogs, and no apocalypse has befallen us yet. Have you been to Europe?

To the people saying that it's not fair to leave your dog alone in the hotel all day: completely true. But there's nothing to prevent a guest from going back to the hotel several times a day to visit his/her dog, take them out, hang out with them, etc...

To the people saying oh goodness me, it's unhygienic: um, it's a room that literally tens of thousands of strangers have slept, bathed and performed multiple bodily functions in. Trust me, it's probably not cleanest place on the planet regardless of whether a dog has been in there or not.

To the poster who was worried about sleeping in a bed that a dog might have slept in? I'm willing to bet that Disney will CHANGE THE SHEETS between guests. Come on!

This thread has also really conflated two separate issues, one which is dogs being able to stay at the resorts, and the other which is people taking dogs into the parks. They are not the same thing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This thread has also really conflated two separate issues, one which is dogs being able to stay at the resorts, and the other which is people taking dogs into the parks. They are not the same thing.
There is a whole thread on the new pilot program at 4 WDW resorts allowing dogs that is almost 100 pages:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/4-walt-disney-world-resorts-to-accept-dogs.934936/

This one was supposed to be about what other animals should be allowed at the resorts besides dogs.

NelleBelle

Thank you for attempting to get the thread back on track--although it may take a herculean effort :p I'm willing to bet that people have stayed in hotel rooms where dogs have stayed and not even realized it. We've stayed at many a hotel, from "motel 6"-type places to fairly swanky places and all were clean, no odor, etc. My only concern is that WDW tends to have a much higher guest turnover rate that will likely want to bring their pups along. From what I've read, it seams they only have certain buildings where they are booking these guests.

Gabe1

So, being that you’re on the school board (which I was unaware of as there were too many pages in the other thread for me to read them all), you are aware that if the dog behaved in a disruptive manner that you would be within your rights to request that it be removed?

I am fully aware of what the law is, and the law needs MAJOR work because it is indeed (to use your words) becoming a “thing” to lie about the status of your dog to bring them to the parks (among other places), just like it became a “thing” to hire people in wheelchairs for front-of-the-line access, and just like it became a “thing” to game the system to get unlimited fast passes. History has shown us that when it comes to being at Disney, if there is a loophole that can be exploited, people will do it and will even pay for the privilege. If we can’t learn from history, then we are doomed as a society.

As I stated before, I’ve seen this despicable behavior suggested and encouraged in multiple forums and groups with upwards of 100,000 members each, including this one. Combine the rapid spread of information with the history of system and rule abuse at Disney parks AND the instances of complaints of dogs on tables, pulling at leashes, etc. etc., and I think it’s foolish of anyone to think that widespread abuse isn’t already happening.

MOST of the "service dogs" you see at Disney World are fakes because their owners lied so they could bring them into the parks. A "true" service animal does not ride in a stroller, does not sit/lie on tables where humans usually eat, etc. etc. etc. And please don't try to tell me that no one lies to bring their dogs to the parks. They most certainly do, and I've also witnessed people in FB groups and even on this forum encouraging the lying.

These posts are all over the board with all sorts of accusations and insinuating being foolish is hard to digest.

1. Dead Horse???? If you had been honest and said MOST of the "service dogs" you see at Disney World are fakes because their owners lied so they could bring them into the parks was merely an opinion and not posted as if it was fact I would not have asked for Fact Checking and Source. If you stated it was an opinion with the above post I wouldn't have asked for a source of that claim. But you stated that you had sources but didn't have days to retrieve them. If you hadn't said it was friends and social media similar to your postings, non sourced I wouldn't have kept asking for your source and fact checking. So saying Dead Horse when you painted yourself into a corner and only came clean that MOST Service Dogs was just an opinion not proven fact...you lost your credibility on this topic. If you look at your own wording in the above post there is nothing in your post that says OPINION only.

2. DAC and GAC are totally different subjects and was handled well without social media. Seems to be working, seems Disney handled it well and has held up to law challenges. Disney investigation into tour guides and solution demonstrates they can handle and investigate fraud without social media. I have faith that Disney can continue to be open minded and support service dogs without social media.

3. The need to qualify social media as a better sourcing for determining what dogs and their behavior and execution of being of service to their handlers or Disney is concerning. As acknowledged there is no specific way a dog executes their service to their handler. Some are on harnesses, some are on leashes. Like all guests dogs included their temperament changes due to their surroundings. An over crowded situation, extreme heat on their paws, not handling heat and humidity well, dogs and humans very. We humans might act differently under changing conditions and sleeplessness and dogs too have changing coping skills for days that are not typical to them just like we do. A diabetic dog in an owners home likely can roam freely as they don't need to be by their side on a tight leash to preform their duties. A stress disorder dog doesn't need to guide their person like one does for a blind person. So expectations for dogs all to be on a tight leash to be considered trained for all disabilities is a high expectation for a dogs with different duties. Disney obviously has educated themselves to this.

4. Interesting you pointed out that we as a school board could remove a service dog from a school. That point keeps resurfacing, from fake, to strollers, to how taught a leash must be. Reasons dogs shouldn't be. My board has never focused on how to toss a dog. Our focus is on the student and how to make it work not reasons why a dog should be removed. If the approach is intolerance sure we could keep spewing negatives. With our approach of the positives for the student we don't have to nitpick to find reasons to remove a dog that is doing a genuine service to the student. Depends on the results one wants. To be of service or a hindrance. We choose to be supportive and that also supports our Mission Statement: to Service every student to the very best of our abilities for the best education possible. So yes I know we can remove the students dog if we went to listing all the Cons but we choose to be positive and forward thinking so we go for looking for all the attributes and the success of the student over looking for reasons to remove the dog.

5. I have empathy for you and your children. I can understand wanting to provide your child with a dog that would benefit that child as you said with them being on the spectrum. I understand that $20,000 is a no small amount to provide to help your child and can only imagine it is frustrating that it has yet to happen for your family. As I have spoken to at length in a Chit Chat thread one of my kids was born with a disability that took a great deal of therapy to overcome. It took not only an IEP but extras that I had to provide that didn't come cheap but I did it. Then between 2 kids 5 years apart we had 9 years of college education to contend with. As I posted we went to Disney World for many many years for extended trips. Yet there came the time when Disney went on Hiatus for years as a family. Those funds had to go to the best educational experience that I could provide and that trumped Disney. No regrets. We all do what we have to do to provide the very best for our kids that we can so our kids can succeed. I can understand how frustrating it can be for you to see others with service animals and knowing a $20,000 dog would help your child. I hope you can do that someday. The service dog in our school was earned by the entire family of the student. They went to fairs, craft shows, festivals selling home made fleece dog toys strong enough for tug of war. The older sister of the girl on spectrum made all the fleece toys so her younger sister could have the service dog she needed. They found a great deal of support from communities as it was stated a service dog was their family goal. It was awesome to witness them reaching their goal. So no after watching the family with such a positive attitude trying to earn funds for a dog no way am I ever going to try and nitpick ways to toss it from our school district. We work for solutions not exclusion.

Last edited:

Gabe1

Thank you for attempting to get the thread back on track--although it may take a herculean effort :p I'm willing to bet that people have stayed in hotel rooms where dogs have stayed and not even realized it. We've stayed at many a hotel, from "motel 6"-type places to fairly swanky places and all were clean, no odor, etc. My only concern is that WDW tends to have a much higher guest turnover rate that will likely want to bring their pups along. From what I've read, it seams they only have certain buildings where they are booking these guests.

That is what I have heard, that there are rooms and specific building just like only a couple of resorts at this time accepting pets.
I was at the Wilderness before, during and after Irma over about a 2 week span. We had lots and lots of dogs in that resort mostly from southern Florida. They were awesome. The owners were respectful. The resort had specific relief areas and also mindful of more sheltered areas during those high dangerous winds when choosing those areas to send their guests with their pets that took shelter in Disney Resorts. They started arriving a couple days prior to Irma and several days after because some areas the guests came from were not safe to return to yet. We had a dog that I never saw 2 doors down from us that I never witnessed in our hallway anyhow. When the elevator ding'd and we walked down the half it would 'berf.' once as we would walk past. It became a smile with our family. Yeah it would let out a 'berf' but it was never intrusive. The family down the other way with their poor kids held up in a hotel room for 2 days was another story. Still it was a freak'n hurricane. We tried to ignore. Nobody intends to stay put at a Disney Resort. We looked at the Big Picture and were glad our family didn't have to cope with a dog or little kids in our hotel room. Plus the Pups in the lobby during the daytime was fun. We actually asked owners if we could pet their dog. Dogs liked it, owners liked it and it was a great stress relief.

Pixieish

These posts are all over the board with all sorts of accusations and insinuating being foolish is hard to digest.

1. Dead Horse???? If you had been honest and said MOST of the "service dogs" you see at Disney World are fakes because their owners lied so they could bring them into the parks was merely an opinion and not posted as if it was fact I would not have asked for Fact Checking and Source. If you stated it was an opinion with the above post I wouldn't have asked for a source of that claim. But you stated that you had sources but didn't have days to retrieve them. If you hadn't said it was friends and social media similar to your postings, non sourced I wouldn't have kept asking for your source and fact checking. So saying Dead Horse when you painted yourself into a corner and only came clean that MOST Service Dogs was just an opinion not proven fact...you lost your credibility on this topic. If you look at your own wording in the above post there is nothing in your post that says OPINION only.

2. DAC and GAC are totally different subjects and was handled well without social media. Seems to be working, seems Disney handled it well and has held up to law challenges. Disney investigation into tour guides and solution demonstrates they can handle and investigate fraud without social media. I have faith that Disney can continue to be open minded and support service dogs without social media.

3. The need to qualify social media as a better sourcing for determining what dogs and their behavior and execution of being of service to their handlers or Disney is concerning. As acknowledged there is no specific way a dog executes their service to their handler. Some are on harnesses, some are on leashes. Like all guests dogs included their temperament changes due to their surroundings. An over crowded situation, extreme heat on their paws, not handling heat and humidity well, dogs and humans very. We humans might act differently under changing conditions and sleeplessness and dogs too have changing coping skills for days that are not typical to them just like we do. A diabetic dog in an owners home likely can roam freely as they don't need to be by their side on a tight leash to preform their duties. A stress disorder dog doesn't need to guide their person like one does for a blind person. So expectations for dogs all to be on a tight leash to be considered trained for all disabilities is a high expectation for a dogs with different duties. Disney obviously has educated themselves to this.

4. Interesting you pointed out that we as a school board could remove a service dog from a school. That point keeps resurfacing, from fake, to strollers, to how taught a leash must be. Reasons dogs shouldn't be. My board has never focused on how to toss a dog. Our focus is on the student and how to make it work not reasons why a dog should be removed. If the approach is intolerance sure we could keep spewing negatives. With our approach of the positives for the student we don't have to nitpick to find reasons to remove a dog that is doing a genuine service to the student. Depends on the results one wants. To be of service or a hindrance. We choose to be supportive and that also supports our Mission Statement: to Service every student to the very best of our abilities for the best education possible. So yes I know we can remove the students dog if we went to listing all the Cons but we choose to be positive and forward thinking so we go for looking for all the attributes and the success of the student over looking for reasons to remove the dog.

5. I have empathy for you and your children. I can understand wanting to provide your child with a dog that would benefit that child as you said with them being on the spectrum. I understand that $20,000 is a no small amount to provide to help your child and can only imagine it is frustrating that it has yet to happen for your family. As I have spoken to at length in a Chit Chat thread one of my kids was born with a disability that took a great deal of therapy to overcome. It took not only an IEP but extras that I had to provide that didn't come cheap but I did it. Then between 2 kids 5 years apart we had 9 years of college education to contend with. As I posted we went to Disney World for many many years for extended trips. Yet there came the time when Disney went on Hiatus for years as a family. Those funds had to go to the best educational experience that I could provide and that trumped Disney. No regrets. We all do what we have to do to provide the very best for our kids that we can so our kids can succeed. I can understand how frustrating it can be for you to see others with service animals and knowing a $20,000 dog would help your child. I hope you can do that someday. The service dog in our school was earned by the entire family of the student. They went to fairs, craft shows, festivals selling home made fleece dog toys strong enough for tug of war. The older sister of the girl on spectrum made all the fleece toys so her younger sister could have the service dog she needed. They found a great deal of support from communities as it was stated a service dog was their family goal. It was awesome to witness them reaching their goal. So no after watching the family with such a positive attitude trying to earn funds for a dog no way am I ever going to try and nitpick ways to toss it from our school district. We work for solutions not exclusion.

All I'm asking is for you to look at the history of the abuse and the many indicators that point to there being a decent-sized number of fake service animals in the parks. Disney handled the situations of abuse in the past, but only after the abuse got to the point where it was out of control. They are unable as of yet to handle the situation with fake service dogs because the law basically ties their hands and the people abusing the law know it. My suspicion is that many of the people abusing the rules have therapy or support dogs that are NOT covered under the ADA laws. This is not a matter of me being petty because other people have service dogs and we don't - my youngest son isn't ready for a dog yet anyway, and with a move in the not too distant future, we're better off not having a dog until afterwards. The reason I brought up the cost of training a service dog was to illustrate how prohibitive it is, which in and of itself should indicate that we should expect a smaller number of dogs in the parks than we currently are seeing. The reason I mentioned that it is reasonable for disruptive service dogs to be removed from premises is because Disney isn't even doing that, which would be within their rights, based on the complaints I've seen.

As I stated before...I'm harping on this so hard because it really angers me to see people abusing a system that was put in place for people who REALLY need services like it (nevermind the fact that crowded, loud places like Disney can be stressful for many dogs). I would complain just as loudly about people improperly parking in handicapped spaces, damaging the braille on ADA signage, or making fun of someone who has a disability. My biggest fear is that abuse of the ADA service animal laws will lead the federal government to swing too far in the opposite direction when they do finally update the law to close the loopholes, and that new changes would impinge on the services that are so valuable to those with disabilities - it would be yet another case of bad people ruining something that was meant to do some good.

As a matter of fact, if you refer to the thread about dogs now being allowed in 4 resorts, you'd see that even though the program just rolled out, there has already been a report of someone toileting their dog in an inappropriate place. Humans are inherently selfish and will break rules both because of laziness and if they see some inherent personal benefit to breaking them.

I'm glad your schools are so helpful to your students. I'm also happy for you that you are able to turn a blind eye to how horrible humanity can be - it's really a blessing that I wish we had in common. At this point, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.

To get back to the point of the thread...

The only resorts allowing dogs at this point are:
  • Ft. Wilderness
  • Port Orleans Riverside
  • Yacht Club
  • and Art of Animation.

POR is limiting dogs to four buildings and (I believe) only specific floors (I am unaware of what the policy is as far as buildings/rooms, etc. at the others). So far, if you look on the thread dedicated to the roll-out of this program, it's been confusing, with some lack of consistency in the answers people are getting when they call with questions and/or change-of-resort requests.

There have been a couple of reports of people seeing dogs at POR, but only one complaint of a dog being toileted where it wasn't supposed to be. I'm hoping the instance was reported and that it is dealt with properly.

We've all likely stayed in rooms that have had a service animal in them. The big difference here is that instead of having a dog in them maybe once or twice a year, now there will be dogs in them far more often, and with bathing dogs in the rooms prohibited as well as dogs prohibited from the pool areas, I'm not sure they'll be able to keep dog smell from eventually permeating any textiles in the rooms. (My MIL is a very neat, clean person, but the rug in her den absolutely reeked because her dog had some skin allergy that made the dog itself smell horrible. Even having the carpet cleaned couldn't get rid of the stink.) Perhaps Disney may need to provide a way/place to bathe dogs in the future?

bigrigross

I think this is a great idea to be able to bring my dogs with me. People automatically assume that staying at a disney hotel equals me going to the parks. This is false. I bought into DVC so I can explore other parts of Orlando and other cities close like Tampa or go to the beach which is only an hour away. If this comes into DVC, I will definitely be bringing my dogs as they love road trips. Though I would not bring any other animals with me.

Baahahaha No it isn't. But you can believe what you want.

My dogs have never had an accident in my house once they were properly trained. I have a mix of ceramic and vinyl flooring in my house and I would know if they ever made a mess. My dogs know to use the dog door to get outside. The fact is that you probably do not even have dogs or just dont know how to train your dogs to not make a mess. Ignorance is no excuse for blanket statements.

jaklgreen

Yes, it is. You can't say categorically that all dogs have accidents. That's obvious. It's simply not true. But as you say, believe whatever you want.

I don't think that every single dog/cat have accidents. But I do agree that they have an odor, just like people. You can usually smell a dog when you walk into a house with one. Same with cats. Odors are very subjective and what bothers some may not bother others. Look at cigarettes, to me they are one of the worst smells ever but some people actually like the smell. I have a super sensitive nose and can smell a dog when I walk into a house. My hubby on the other hand cant smell a pile of poop right in front of him so he would not notice unless it was really bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom