What pets outside of dogs should WDW allow in Hotel rooms?

What pets outside of dogs should WDW allow in Hotel rooms?

• Fish

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • cats

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • Hamsters

• Birds

• Snakes

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • rabbits

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • iguana

Votes: 10 5.4%
  • crabs

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • other - Means outside of dogs and outside of the potential pets already mentioned

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • None

Votes: 122 65.9%

• Total voters

graphite1326

I think this is a great idea to be able to bring my dogs with me. People automatically assume that staying at a disney hotel equals me going to the parks. This is false. I bought into DVC so I can explore other parts of Orlando and other cities close like Tampa or go to the beach which is only an hour away. If this comes into DVC, I will definitely be bringing my dogs as they love road trips. Though I would not bring any other animals with me.

My dogs have never had an accident in my house once they were properly trained. I have a mix of ceramic and vinyl flooring in my house and I would know if they ever made a mess. My dogs know to use the dog door to get outside. The fact is that you probably do not even have dogs or just dont know how to train your dogs to not make a mess. Ignorance is no excuse for blanket statements.
You mean to tell me if you are away just a little too long your dog doesn't squirt just a little. Also, some dogs do it when they get a little excited. Never? Yeah right. I have seen it happen many times.

That being said, not all dog owners are as exceptional trainers as you. I'm not staying there.

21stamps

You mean to tell me if you are away just a little too long your dog doesn't squirt just a little. Also, some dogs do it when they get a little excited. Never? Yeah right. I have seen it happen many times.

That being said, not all dog owners are as exceptional trainers as you. I'm not staying there.

No, as proven on these hysterical dog threads, there are many dog owners who don’t have a need or a desire to invest in proper training.

However,
People who travel with their pets, bring their pets to lunch, on planes, to kid’s sporting events, shopping, for coffee.. etc etc etc...
Those people most likely do invest in proper training. That’s how their dogs are able to do all of these things.

bigrigross

Not a single bit and I have a light colored ceramic floor so I would know. I also get their glands squeezed every month at the groomers. My dogs have full access inside and outside of the house all day long. If we arent there, we close off the mudroom to the kitchen and 3 of the 4 dogs get full access to that room, the garage, and a fully fenced in acre. We also have a 10 year old doberman who stays in the house all day as she has arthritis and she never messes while we are out. Also for bonus, one of my cats is potty trained to use the toilet. The other uses a self flushing litter box. So please stop with the blanket statement. I agree, their are some terrible owners who let the dog walk them. My dogs stay by my side or behind me at all times while walking.

Pixieish

Not a single bit and I have a light colored ceramic floor so I would know. I also get their **** glands squeezed every month at the groomers. My dogs have full access inside and outside of the house all day long. If we arent there, we close off the mudroom to the kitchen and 3 of the 4 dogs get full access to that room, the garage, and a fully fenced in acre. We also have a 10 year old doberman who stays in the house all day as she has arthritis and she never messes while we are out. Also for bonus, one of my cats is potty trained to use the toilet. The other uses a self flushing litter box. So please stop with the blanket statement. I agree, their are some terrible owners who let the dog walk them. My dogs stay by my side or behind me at all times while walking.
We had a cat that suddenly decided to use the toilet - he gave me a bleeping heart attack when I was home alone one day and the toilet suddenly flushed. :eek:

I could hear him peeing right before he flushed and was wandering around looking for a leak, lol!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think the point that’s consistently missed is that it’s not personal. It doesn’t matter how well behaved YOUR dog is, the rules need to protect against the lowest common denominator. Not all dogs are the same. Some could probably exist in many situations without incident. Others cannot. If 100 different dogs stay in a room over a period of time and 95 don’t smell, bark, have fleas or soil the room but 5 do, the damage is still done.

bigrigross

We had a cat that suddenly decided to use the toilet - he gave me a bleeping heart attack when I was home alone one day and the toilet suddenly flushed. :eek:

I could hear him peeing right before he flushed and was wandering around looking for a leak, lol!

I wish mine would flush when he got done. He just does his business and leaves. My wife never gets mad at him, but when I do it, its WWIII. It took me 4 months and a special training tool to get him to do it. The other one wanted nothing to do with it.

Pixieish

I wish mine would flush when he got done. He just does his business and leaves. My wife never gets mad at him, but when I do it, its WWIII. It took me 4 months and a special training tool to get him to do it. The other one wanted nothing to do with it.
We had 3...I would have looooooved to have gotten rid of the litter boxes.

bigrigross

I think the point that’s consistently missed is that it’s not personal. It doesn’t matter how well behaved YOUR dog is, the rules need to protect against the lowest common denominator. Not all dogs are the same. Some could probably exist in many situations without incident. Others cannot. If 100 different dogs stay in a room over a period of time and 95 don’t smell, bark, have fleas or soil the room but 5 do, the damage is still done.

My question is what damage? The 4 hotels in question all have vinyl flooring. The only fabric is the bed, towels and blankets. Industrial washing machines/detergent will get out whatever is in them. And I swear the beds have a protective cover over them. So anything that could retain the smell is washed.

Now yeah, if the dog starts chewing on everything, completely different story. But I just dont understand how people think their is going to be a smell left over. Whenever I have walked into a disney hotel, I have not once smelled a smoker. Yet I can almost guarantee you that someone had that room who was a smoker and most likely walked outside to smoke and went and laid on the bed. Lingering smoke smell gets to me pretty badly. Yet 0 issues at Disney.

J_Carioca

I completely understand what you're saying. But the fact is that many hotels allow dogs, and it doesn't seem to cause problems. The discussion in this thread would have you thinking that Disney is the first company to consider allowing dogs, but that's not true. I've stayed at very, very expensive hotels in Europe that permit dogs. It's just not a big deal because as you state, the vast majority of dogs aren't going to cause any problems. The ones that do are most likely asked to leave.

J_Carioca

As opposed to children, who never have "accidents", right?

Vast numbers of children + rides + excitement + tons of crazy food = I'm willing to bet that more bodily fluids than you can imagine have probably already been spilled in Disney hotel rooms.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My question is what damage? The 4 hotels in question all have vinyl flooring. The only fabric is the bed, towels and blankets. Industrial washing machines/detergent will get out whatever is in them. And I swear the beds have a protective cover over them. So anything that could retain the smell is washed.

Now yeah, if the dog starts chewing on everything, completely different story. But I just dont understand how people think their is going to be a smell left over. Whenever I have walked into a disney hotel, I have not once smelled a smoker. Yet I can almost guarantee you that someone had that room who was a smoker and most likely walked outside to smoke and went and laid on the bed. Lingering smoke smell gets to me pretty badly. Yet 0 issues at Disney.
I knew YC was doing a big refurb including floors. Last time I stayed at POR they still had carpet in the rooms. It’s good that they refurbed them all to laminate if they are allowing dogs. I’ve never stayed at AoA but again, if they have no carpet that’s good.

Some dogs smell. Some dogs have fleas. Some chew furniture. It happens. I’m not anti-dog and I don’t even think this policy is a big deal as long as they isolate the dog rooms and I can request a dog free room. I personally don’t want to stay in a room that has had other people’s dogs in it on a regular basis. I know there’s service dogs and other hotels allow dogs, blah, blah, blah. It’s all been said in the other thread. The point is I don’t trust all of the other dog owners that their pets are clean and well behaved.

I think a good compromise is having dog rooms as a seperate category when booking and those rooms are all isolated in a section of the hotel. I also think the dogs should be restricted from indoor common places like lobby areas and shops. Outdoor paths should be fine. I also have a seperate issue with allowing dogs to be left in the room alone for hours but that’s also due to my lack of faith in my fellow guests.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I completely understand what you're saying. But the fact is that many hotels allow dogs, and it doesn't seem to cause problems. The discussion in this thread would have you thinking that Disney is the first company to consider allowing dogs, but that's not true. I've stayed at very, very expensive hotels in Europe that permit dogs. It's just not a big deal because as you state, the vast majority of dogs aren't going to cause any problems. The ones that do are most likely asked to leave.
Disney is a different animal. It’s not Europe. People act different and irrational at WDW.

graphite1326

Not a single bit and I have a light colored ceramic floor so I would know. I also get their **** glands squeezed every month at the groomers. My dogs have full access inside and outside of the house all day long. If we arent there, we close off the mudroom to the kitchen and 3 of the 4 dogs get full access to that room, the garage, and a fully fenced in acre. We also have a 10 year old doberman who stays in the house all day as she has arthritis and she never messes while we are out. Also for bonus, one of my cats is potty trained to use the toilet. The other uses a self flushing litter box. So please stop with the blanket statement. I agree, their are some terrible owners who let the dog walk them. My dogs stay by my side or behind me at all times while walking.
People have accidents and you are telling me your dogs don't, pffft.

Also, last I looked they don't have doggy doors at hotels.

21stamps

It is so nice to see someone say that!!.

Expensive hotels in America allow dogs as well.. I’m still willing to bet that people here have stayed in hotels that allowed dogs, and never even knew it. Most of the time if you’re not searching for a pet policy, you won’t see one.

I think what a few people here fail to realize (or acknowledge) is that the majority of dog owners who travel with their dogs have been doing so for years. The travel won’t be new to the dogs.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Expensive hotels in America allow dogs as well.. I’m still willing to bet that people here have stayed in hotels that allowed dogs, and never even knew it. Most of the time if you’re not searching for a pet policy, you won’t see one.
Why does this matter? I’ve stayed at hotels that had smoking rooms too and I am still opposed to allowing smoking in all rooms at any hotel. I don’t see why it’s so hard to understand why some people just don’t want to stay in a dog room.
I think what a few people here fail to realize (or acknowledge) is that the majority of dog owners who travel with their dogs have been doing so for years. The travel won’t be new to the dogs.
I think a few people (or at least one;)) fail to realize that it’s not about them or even the majority. It doesn’t matter how well traveled YOUR dog is or how many other similar people travel with their dogs. The policy has no way to stop the other people who aren’t “sophisticated, well traveled dog owners” from bringing a dog that will have problems. You are continuing to assume that the only people who will bring their dog are exactly like you. There are many different types of dog owners.

Pixieish

If dogs at the many hotels who allow them, aren’t the nightmare that you’re so passionately alleging they are..

Then what could possibly lead you to believe that Disney will be a nightmare scenario? (rhetorical at this point. I’ve seen the every-dog-is-an-untrained-puppy comments already).

Again, I think it’s hillarious that a few people are making this so dramatic.. especially someone who says they have never even stayed in a hotel that allows dogs.

It’s not as unruly as you are making it sound to be. Yet you disagree with anyone who actually has stayed at dog friendly hotels... with smart comments such as “not all dogs are like your dog..”.”..you’re assuming that all dogs behave..” etc etc.

In reality, you are the one making wild assumptions, when you’ve already stated that you don’t have experience traveling with dogs or pet friendly hotels.
Europe, America.. it doesn’t matter.. read reviews of hotels, then come back and please share with us how many horrible reviews due to dogs exist.

I think the big concern is primarily the same as it is with the huge crowds and the obnoxious behavior that seems to have increased dramatically over the years. The Disney resorts operate at nearly-full levels consistently at this point, and we all know there's a pretty big demographic that will bring their dog everywhere even if the dog doesn't like it or doesn't behave well or isn't trained well, because let's face it, humans are stupid. I'm not saying all dogs or dog owners are like this by any stretch, it just seems that as of late, Disney has been attracting more and more of the above-mentioned demographic that seems to lack in both common sense and empathy, and when they bring their dogs...yikes. High guest/dog turnover + high rate of stinky/untrained/undisciplined dogs = nasty rooms.

21stamps

I think the big concern is primarily the same as it is with the huge crowds and the obnoxious behavior that seems to have increased dramatically over the years. The Disney resorts operate at nearly-full levels consistently at this point, and we all know there's a pretty big demographic that will bring their dog everywhere even if the dog doesn't like it or doesn't behave well or isn't trained well, because let's face it, humans are stupid. I'm not saying all dogs or dog owners are like this by any stretch, it just seems that as of late, Disney has been attracting more and more of the above-mentioned demographic that seems to lack in both common sense and empathy, and when they bring their dogs...yikes. High guest/dog turnover + high rate of stinky/untrained/undisciplined dogs = nasty rooms.

I think there are plenty of bad dog owners.. I don’t think that those same owners will pay the expense of traveling with a dog.

I know the “pet parents” are ridiculed, and sometimes rightly so (I personally hate seeing dog strollers lol)... but the “pet parents” love their dogs very much, they typically have the best groomed, best dressed ;) dogs, not some dirty flea stricken animals.. and I think that is being overlooked here.
Also, a good owner will not put their dog in a scenario that would upset him/her. Most aren’t abusive, emotionally or physically.

Pixieish

I think there are plenty of bad dog owners.. I don’t think that those same owners will pay the expense of traveling with a dog.

I know the “pet parents” are ridiculed, and sometimes rightly so (I personally hate seeing dog strollers lol)... but the “pet parents” love their dogs very much, they typically have the best groomed, best dressed ;) dogs, not some dirty flea stricken animals.. and I think that is being overlooked here.
Also, a good owner will not put their dog in a scenario that would upset him/her. Most aren’t abusive, emotionally or physically.
I think we're on the same page with everything except how many bad dog owners will show up, lol.

bigrigross

People have accidents and you are telling me your dogs don't, pffft.

Also, last I looked they don't have doggy doors at hotels.

I guarantee you my dogs do not have accidents. And lets not make assumptions, toddlers have accidents. Puppies have accidents. Old people with dementia have accidents and so do some senior dogs who have issues. Normal people do not have accidents. I have not had an accident since I was 6 years old. And I would assume most healthy potty trained humans have not had an accident that hit the floor or the bed since they were very young. Also, when my senior dog gets a UTI, we put a diaper on her, but only during the UTI.

Now, lets roll this back up. My puppies of course had accidents in the house. But it only took me a month to get that cleared up. Had one or two the following month, but nothing the month after that. Again, generalized statements hold no weight in civil conversation. You can assume all you want, but you know what they say about assuming.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom