What pets outside of dogs should WDW allow in Hotel rooms?

What pets outside of dogs should WDW allow in Hotel rooms?

• Fish

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • cats

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • Hamsters

• Birds

• Snakes

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • rabbits

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • iguana

Votes: 10 5.4%
  • crabs

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • other - Means outside of dogs and outside of the potential pets already mentioned

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • None

Votes: 122 65.9%

• Total voters

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
MOST of the "service dogs" you see at Disney World are fakes because their owners lied so they could bring them into the parks. A "true" service animal does not ride in a stroller, does not sit/lie on tables where humans usually eat, etc. etc. etc. And please don't try to tell me that no one lies to bring their dogs to the parks. They most certainly do, and I've also witnessed people in FB groups and even on this forum encouraging the lying.
Funny thing is i have just spent 2 weeks in the world and seen quite a few service dogs. The majority of them behaved in a manner that i would expect from a dog trained properly. Never saw any on scooters or tables .

Pixieish

Funny thing is i have just spent 2 weeks in the world and seen quite a few service dogs. The majority of them behaved in a manner that i would expect from a dog trained properly. Never saw any on scooters or tables .

Someone else on these forums reported seeing 2 fake service dogs - one in a stroller and one jumping up on someone and barking. This was either last weekend (right before Halloween) or the one prior.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
MOST of the "service dogs" you see at Disney World are fakes because their owners lied so they could bring them into the parks. A "true" service animal does not ride in a stroller, does not sit/lie on tables where humans usually eat, etc. etc. etc. And please don't try to tell me that no one lies to bring their dogs to the parks. They most certainly do, and I've also witnessed people in FB groups and even on this forum encouraging the lying.

Wow. Just Wow.

jaklgreen

I was just there a few weeks ago and I saw a lot of dogs in the parks. You can spot the service dog easy. I saw dogs in doggy strollers, being carried, and also 1 in a baby carrier that the person was carrying on their chest. Like the commercial. I was actually stunned when I saw it, I should have taken a picture.

Gabe1

I’d like to know your source for this post. It is a bold statement and needs to be substantial sourcing. Epilpysy and diabetes pups are generally small breeds and often in strollers or grocery carts in public. So where are you sourcing your statistics you imply from?

Pixieish

I’d like to know your source for this post. It is a bold statement and needs to be substantial sourcing. Epilpysy and diabetes pups are generally small breeds and often in strollers or grocery carts in public. So where are you sourcing your statistics you imply from?

Working Service Dogs don't jump on people, they don't bark, they don't strain at their leashes trying to escape their owner. They are working. They should not be approached while on the job, nor should they be treated the same way a regular pet dog is while they are working - even by their owner. There is quite a HUGE difference between service animals and therapy/support animals which are not afforded the same access to public spaces that service animals are, nor are they trained in the same way. The fact that we've seen dramatic increases in "service animals" at theme parks during and after a time when people were paying those in wheelchairs as "tour guides" so that they could get front-of-the-line access speaks for itself. This is common sense 101 - if people think they can get away with something, they will, at the very least, try. Both the Federal government and Disney itself have made it all to easy for people to lie about the status of their dog/animal, and these loopholes need to be closed before those who truly need service animals end up paying the price for those who have no qualms about abusing the system.

Gabe1

Oy. So your source is Facebook says so and strangers on an internet forum posted this SO IT MUST BE TRUE? :banghead: Dear Lord if I sourced my Footnotes for my term papers with Facebook said or I read it on the internet in a non vetted, unaccredited post on an open discussion forum, well...I would have never graduated college. We were taught from middle school what a creditable source is. Most owners of Websites will not verify anything as true themselves until it from an official source or they careful to say this is being Rumored.

Me, I have yet to see all that you are claiming is currently happening at WDW. After 2 weeks pre and post Irma I actually only saw a few service animals in the parks. I didn't see any laying on tables (disney birds yes) I didn't witness any service dogs jumping all over guests. It must be just total mayhem at WDW now! :rolleyes:

I've never taken any of my dogs on any vacation let alone WDW. I can't imagine wanting to bring in a pet to a park that is over $100 a day to have to baby swap and split up to ride the attractions cause that dog certainly isn't riding Splash Mountain or Pandora. The logic isn't even there for these claims to be remotely accurate. IF this mayhem is really happening in the park with pets I can't buy into Disney saying lets have more mayhem by letting them sleep in our resort rooms. Its just not adding up for me.

Pixieish

Oy. So your source is Facebook says so and strangers on an internet forum posted this SO IT MUST BE TRUE? :banghead: Dear Lord if I sourced my Footnotes for my term papers with Facebook said or I read it on the internet in a non vetted, unaccredited post on an open discussion forum, well...I would have never graduated college. We were taught from middle school what a creditable source is. Most owners of Websites will not verify anything as true themselves until it from an official source or they careful to say this is being Rumored.

Me, I have yet to see all that you are claiming is currently happening at WDW. After 2 weeks pre and post Irma I actually only saw a few service animals in the parks. I didn't see any laying on tables (disney birds yes) I didn't witness any service dogs jumping all over guests. It must be just total mayhem at WDW now! :rolleyes:

I've never taken any of my dogs on any vacation let alone WDW. I can't imagine wanting to bring in a pet to a park that is over $100 a day to have to baby swap and split up to ride the attractions cause that dog certainly isn't riding Splash Mountain or Pandora. The logic isn't even there for these claims to be remotely accurate. IF this mayhem is really happening in the park with pets I can't buy into Disney saying lets have more mayhem by letting them sleep in our resort rooms. Its just not adding up for me.

That's fine, I would post sources, but I really don't have days worth of time to search through 4 years worth of (the length of my involvement in Disney forums and groups) posts and pictures. Most of what I'm going on is from people I know personally...not strangers.

You can choose to not believe me - I'm fine either way. I just realize that there is abuse happening, it's being encouraged, and if people think they can get away with it, they will try. There's a HUGE gaping loophole at Disney here - both in the law and in Disney policy. That they're now allowing pets at some the resorts just opens up the possibility for more abuse. If you think there isn't abuse occurring, then you're just choosing to be naive.

Gabe1

That's fine, I would post sources, but I really don't have days worth of time to search through 4 years worth of (the length of my involvement in Disney forums and groups) posts and pictures. Most of what I'm going on is from people I know personally...not strangers.

You can choose to not believe me - I'm fine either way. I just realize that there is abuse happening, it's being encouraged, and if people think they can get away with it, they will try. There's a HUGE gaping loophole at Disney here - both in the law and in Disney policy. That they're now allowing pets at some the resorts just opens up the possibility for more abuse. If you think there isn't abuse occurring, then you're just choosing to be naive.

As I suspected.

POLY LOVER

Okay, just for fun I googled "are fake service dogs a problem". Guess how many results came up...a ton. On the first page alone are articles from three news sources. There are also articles on websites specifically about dogs. The rest of the world acknowledges that fake service animals are a problem.

I think the last thing Disney wants to do is have arguments with people in need. I really don't see many service dogs in the parks. Real service dogs are so well trained their behavior alone tells if they are real. Most dogs in that crowded environment will be a dead give away they would sidewalk surf for food and be sniffing all over the place.

Last edited:

Pixieish

I think the last thing Disney wants to do is have arguments with people in need. I really don't see many service dogs in the parks. Real service dogs are so well trained their behavior alone tells if they are real. Most dogs in that crowded environment will be a dead give away the would sidewalk surf for food and be sniffing all over the place.

THAT is my point exactly!!!! There are stories in this thread that are obviously about dogs that don't belong in the parks.

Sundown

Are service animals licensed, or do they have anything that can be used to authenticate their validity? Perhaps Disney should as a rule not allow any service dogs for walk-up, same day ticket buyers. But then set-up some sort of validation system online for people who use them? So if you need to immediately use a service dog, no you wouldn't be able to. But if you plan in advance, and enter in the animals credentials (if such a thing exists) and it is verified....no problem.

Pixieish

Are service animals licensed, or do they have anything that can be used to authenticate their validity? Perhaps Disney should as a rule not allow any service dogs for walk-up, same day ticket buyers. But then set-up some sort of validation system online for people who use them? So if you need to immediately use a service dog, no you wouldn't be able to. But if you plan in advance, and enter in the animals credentials (if such a thing exists) and it is verified....no problem.

The federal law doesn't allow for that. By law, they can ask if the dog is a service animal and what service they perform - credentials may not be requested. Disney policy, I'm pretty sure, only allows CMs to ask if it's a service animal. There are SO MANY websites that sell fake credentials now, the feds really need to fix this and come up with some kind of system of giving them federally supplied ID so there is a means to check to be sure that it really is a service dog without violating HIPPA laws. It's all way too loosey goosey right now.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That would be against a federal law. There are no official licenses for service animals and the only thing Disney can do as a business is (1) ask if the animal is a service animal and (2) what type of service they provide. They cannot ask about the disability or request proof. It’s hard to fake being blind, but if the owner says the dog is a service dog and detects seizures it’s impossible to dispute that so they are in. Emotional support animals are not considered service animals and are not allowed in the parks.

Gabe1

So you are asking Disney to break Federal Law to deny walk up dogs? I believe many are posting without any genuine understanding of ADA laws in place demanding proof from disabled people Asking for proof of disability or proving need has been outlawed for a long time as is demanding verification. This is why I have a problem with some of these posts, lack of general knowledge of the Americans with Disabilities ACT. Just blows my mind that people want to Deny disable people that buy tickets day of from entering WDW or anywhere else.

I questioned the statements of MOST SERVICE DOGS ARE FAKE AT WDW. I asked for a source of that information and the poster doesn't have time. Friends, Bus Drivers, Guests do not have the ability to authenticate anything it is a knee jerk judgement no more no less.

We have posters claiming now if a service animal is in a stroller that automatically without any source deems the animal a fake. Can the small diabetic detecting dogs or seizure dogs be pushed in a stroller, Certainly. Short little legs, long days in the parks, hot pavement on small thinner pads on their paws, a stroller or a vest would not void their ability to detect and warn their owner. A service dog traveling in a crate does not make him not a service dog to the veteran with post traumatic stress disorder.

Sure there will be people who try and sneak a dog in. But when we start believing and making random posts without any creditable sources that MOST SERVICE DOGS AT WDW ARE FAKE it becomes as fake as the poster is when there isn't any sourcing to back up that very specific statement. To date I've yet to see Disney compiling any data on FAKE vs REAL service dogs in the parks numbers. Facebook posts to similar to many of these are not data, posts about MOST being FAKE isn't data either. So without reputable sourcing to back it up is as fake as many are claiming the service dogs are. I have a great deal of compassion for disabled people and believe strongly in service animals to help the disabled people. My urging is to be cautious about what everyone is posting as accurate and that the sources have documented. Bus driver type verification, a friend said, someone posted it on the internet doesn't mean it has been vetted to be true statistics. Starting to take pictures of guests and posting them and labeling those guests as fakers and liars isn't a good idea. Actually very wreckless.

Until someone can provide real numbers, number of service dogs per day at Disney, the number authenticated as real vs fake I find this type of reporting of facts terribly disingenuous and insultingly disrespectful to disabled guests and those who utilize service dogs. Can you only imagine how a disabled person would think of the idea of denying them entry to the park because they made a spontaneous trip? I would call that discrimination. I guess what I am hoping for is members to be a bit more responsible in their accusations. Walking the world showcase anyone can say fake but equally true these accusations can be fake. I cringe at the idea of posting photos of guests here accusing them of not being disabled without any real proof.

Do we really know this was a service dog in training or was he really just a fake dog and his owner wanted him to meet Pluto? Is the dog a fake because the owner allowed him to approach Pluto?

image_1455722650_jd_godvine_service_dog_meets_pluto_FB.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom