What little things that WDW used to do/have do you miss?

POLY LOVER

Reading all the post I can't help feel that disney has moved from extraordinary to ordinary. Do you think current management even knows about half the things mentioned here, do they even know they existed?

FettFan

At Magic Kingdom:
- The trees and gardens in and around the hub, especially at dusk when the twinkling lights were on.
3592578657_637b2b59b6_b.jpg

Allegedly, too many guests in the parks complained about not getting a clear view of the fireworks, so Disney unleashed the chainsaws.

Years later, Disney decided that the hub did not have enough green space. So, naturally they decided to replant.

HA! No, just kidding....they filled in the moat and put down grass and shrubs.
r-1425227409-MainStreetPlazaGardens14.jpg

Maybe it's just because I'm from the 10-12 Corridor of Louisiana, which is mostly temperate deciduous forest augmented with rivers, bayous and marshes..... but to me, that second picture looks so bland and sterile. There's no beauty in it. Even the grass looks like fake turf.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I miss this, but I don't want it to return. I just feel like people at WDW are different than they were back then.. it would be a nightmare and many kids would never get the opportunity to meet the characters. It would also be a nightmare for the CM

And that's why they had to discontinue free roaming characters - too many negative interactions between guests and a CM. Which also explains why the Princesses don't let male guests get too close to them...some got a little too friendly...:mad:

LAKid53

Premium Member
This is somewhat trivial, but I miss the Mickey photo birthday card in your resort room wishing you Happy Birthday. I've not gotten one in a couple of years. :( And they know it's my birthday. If only Disney hadn't killed that backend link to your reservation that allowed you to add a celebration....

LAKid53

Premium Member
At Magic Kingdom:
- The trees and gardens in and around the hub, especially at dusk when the twinkling lights were on.
3592578657_637b2b59b6_b.jpg

Allegedly, too many guests in the parks complained about not getting a clear view of the fireworks, so Disney unleashed the chainsaws.

Years later, Disney decided that the hub did not have enough green space. So, naturally they decided to replant.

HA! No, just kidding....they filled in the moat and put down grass and shrubs.
r-1425227409-MainStreetPlazaGardens14.jpg

Maybe it's just because I'm from the 10-12 Corridor of Louisiana, which is mostly temperate deciduous forest augmented with rivers, bayous and marshes..... but to me, that second picture looks so bland and sterile. There's no beauty in it. Even the grass looks like fake turf.

I've never understood that complaint about the original hub. The trees weren't taller than the Castle - the fireworks shot up in the sky over the Castle... Using that logic, perhaps they should take down the Castle, since it blocks some of the fireworks....

danyoung56

I've never understood that complaint about the original hub. The trees weren't taller than the Castle - the fireworks shot up in the sky over the Castle... Using that logic, perhaps they should take down the Castle, since it blocks some of the fireworks....

The problem was that they changed the fireworks shows to include projection on the castle. There was never any problem seeing up high. The problem became seeing the castle through the trees.

I don't really have a problem with the new plaza. It's different from the old one, but I think they did a very nice job on the new one.

hanwill

I miss the fountains. They provided you a "Jedi mind trick" of cooling off... Even though they really didn't, the effect was there. Now, I'm just hot when I go, with no relief... Those designers definitely don't live in humid areas where the sound of water provides relief.

Disney4family

I miss the old fastpass system and machines. We knew how to game the system. All of our park tickets went to the one person in our group who didn't want to go on a certain ride. While we went on that ride, they got everyone fastpasses for a different ride using the tickets. Used to be able to do MK in a day that way. We joke now that we are the reason they changed to fastpass+
And that you could get more than 1 FP per ride. I miss that, too.

widlan

When characters were able to wander and roam around the park giving guests a surprise when they enter a certain location. Sure it's different know but hearing reports from older members in the forums make me wish this was still a thing. At least some characters are still able to do this at Disneyland and some of the foreign Disney parks but it ain't what it used to be.

Yeah, it's the thing that missed me the most. Sure, they can keep the meet & greet to allow more people to see characters, but allow some to walk freely in the park was amazing. I still remember the first time I entered Magic Kingdom and see Mickey, Minnie and Donald near the entrance... it's still an amazing memory.

And for me, not a small thing, but I really missed Backloat tour and the general old Hollywood and studio ambiance of DHS.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Hmm. Maybe it's just me, but I seem to recall more pine trees along the I-12/I-10 corridor (Baton Rouge to the east) than deciduous forest... at least, that's what the semi-annual coats of yellow pollen on my car said.

But that's neither here nor there -- I, for one, am glad to see WDW managing tree growth around the castle. Trees getting too tall spoils the forced perspective.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom