What little things that WDW used to do/have do you miss?

rob0519

Reading all the post I can't help feel that disney has moved from extraordinary to ordinary. Do you think current management even knows about half the things mentioned here, do they even know they existed?

Yes, they know. No, they don't care. If something doesn't make money, or cram more people into the park to make more money it will be replaced with something that does. Oh, they also care about preventing anything that will get them sued. Welcome to the new Disney.

rob0519

Then how do you explain the continued existence of the Swiss Family Treehouse?
Nostalgia mostly I would imagine and possibly the low operational costs compared to other attractions.. It also gives people something to do when the see the wait times on Jungle Cruise and POC, but you're right, it doesn't make any money. Sort of like Tomorrowland Speedway, takes a lot of people out of other lines.

TwilightZone

- When it's gone I will miss the Innoventions area music at epcot. Assuming they don't reuse it after they close the pavilion.
- The 90s tomorrowland cohesive aliens and inventors theming
- opening day tomorrowland architecture
- the cute character shows that used to be at every park. now there's going to be only one left.
- the original imageworks
- journey into your imagination's imageworks (yes it's that much better than figment's)

parkhopper1213

I'm not creating this thread to bash the current state of WDW, but there are a lot of things that used to be done that have been stopped or cut for various reasons. I'm just curious what some people miss.

Something for me was the little Mickey Mouse shaped butter at the restaurant in the castle and the after dinner mints that most sit down restaurants used to give out at the end of the meal.

While its nice to have fast passes and dining reservations, I miss being spontaneous. I know we could decide not to get fast passes, but who wants to wait 210 minutes for the new Avitar ride? I liked being there before cell phones took over our lives. People don't make eye contact anymore while waiting in line or walking around. Loved being able to meet new people and hear about their experiences.

FettFan

Hmm. Maybe it's just me, but I seem to recall more pine trees along the I-12/I-10 corridor (Baton Rouge to the east) than deciduous forest... at least, that's what the semi-annual coats of yellow pollen on my car said.

But that's neither here nor there -- I, for one, am glad to see WDW managing tree growth around the castle. Trees getting too tall spoils the forced perspective.

I-12 and all points north are piney woods. But if you go down I-10 between BR and NO, it's mostly live oak and cypress swamps.
Especially when you near Gramercy and LaPlace....a good chunk of the interstate there is elevated.

Oddysey

The little thing (at least I consider it little) that I miss the most is Lights of Winter at Epcot during the Christmas season. Something about that small tunnel of lights really got me in the Christmas spirit.

Oddysey

While its nice to have fast passes and dining reservations, I miss being spontaneous. I know we could decide not to get fast passes, but who wants to wait 210 minutes for the new Avitar ride? I liked being there before cell phones took over our lives. People don't make eye contact anymore while waiting in line or walking around. Loved being able to meet new people and hear about their experiences.

Sorry for the double post, but I really like this comment. The parks had a totally different feel pre-fast pass and smart phones.

Pre-fast pass I felt much less rushed, and could typically leisurely enjoy the parks. No sitting at the pool wondering what time to hit the bus so that I can make my fast pass that was planned 90 days in advance for an attraction in a park that I no longer want to visit on that day.

Pre-smart phones Disney felt more isolated, like you were you were really entering some magical place away from everything else. After smart phones I receive work emails or have to watch someone Skype in the ride vehicle in front of me while I am on a dark ride that suddenly becomes much less dark.

Last edited:

cosmicgirl

On our first ever trip in 1999 Max was waterskiing on the Seven Seas Lagoon when we got on the ferry to MK. I never found out if this was a regular thing or an exceptional day, but it sure made us feel welcome on our first day :D.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom