What little things that WDW used to do/have do you miss?

crxbrett

Wife beaters and hats at signature restaurants... That's a start

I'd add sports jerseys to signature restaurants, too. Not lying, I actually saw someone wearing a Pittsburgh Steelers jersey and sweat pants once inside Club 33. I was shocked and was mad that Disney even let them in. I mean, at least try to look presentable or halfway decent.

BoarderPhreak

Just off the top of my head, in no particular order... Not so sure about "small things" I suppose.

General:

- Riding in front of the monorail and getting an official "Monorail Co-pilot" card.
- The narration onboard the monorails (seems mostly broken these days).
- No bag check and metal detectors at every turn.
- Pleasure Island (for the late nighters).
- Disney Institute (never took the courses, but it was a great place to stay).
- The towel animals on the bed.
- The lobby water feature at the Poly.

Magic Kingdom:

- The old PoTC, complete with parrot and cannons outside, no Jack inside.
- Mike Fink Keelboats and Swan Boats, the river around the hub.
- Alien Encounter or better yet, Mission to Mars/Flight to the Moon.
- The waterfall spires at the entrance to Tomorrowland.
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
- Astro Orbiter (when it was styled like a Saturn V).
- The dragon topiary rising up out of the grass in the hub.
- An open and airy Adventureland (before the crazy, congested mess it is now).
- The PUSH trash can.
- The original Cosmic Ray's and dining area (no Noodle Station either).

Epcot:

- The original pavilion icons.
- Journey Into Imagination pavilion (Figment and Dreamfinder, Captain Eo and Imageworks w/rainbow tunnel).
- Horizons pavilion (and its message of "If we can dream it, we can do it.").
- World of Motion pavilion (except for the boring end showcase area).
- Universe of Energy pavilion (original version).
- Living Seas pavilion (original version).
- Calling everything a "pavilion."
- SSE and the original scenes, effects and narration.
- CommuniCore east/west with lots of actually interesting stuff (Astuter Computer Revue, etc.)
- The original reflecting pool behind SSE (now paved over and covered with a tarp).
- The omnibuses making the rounds around World Showcase (and even those weird characters).
- The general "edutainment" and futuristic vibe of Future World circa 1980s when it opened.
- The fountain in the dining area of The Land pavilion.
- Maelstrom (sorry, Frozen sucks).
- El Rio del Tiempo (no caballeros, por favor).
- The grand murals everywhere (which are slowly disappearing).
- EPCOT Center music/loops (though many are played in Electric Umbrella).
- All the various "street performers" (in Canada, England, etc.).

Disney-MGM Studios:

- When it promised (but never delivered) on being a grand, cohesive Hollywood inspired park.

PortOrleans

Miss pre-planning which FASTPASS© locations we would head towards in order to get slips ensuring that we could ride.
c8bde8a8a6a09290e0e9ddba3db28c52.jpg

Simba's Mom

Glad to see Future Corps and World Showcase Players have been mentioned. Both are among what I miss.
Also, the Skyway
The attraction with Robin Williams and Rhea Perlman in Tomorrowland (sorry, the name escapes me). "Please don't sit on the lean rails"
The strawberry swirl at Enchanted Grove
Cinderella's Royal Table for lunch before it was a character meal.
Also, Akershus before it was a character meal
The huge arcade in the basement of the Contemporary Cafe
Melvin the Moose character meal at Fort Wilderness-"Wake up, you silly moose!"
The Land tour when it was free
The TS restaurant at POFQ and its buffet breakfast
gelato at BC Marketplace

chriss2017

I'm not creating this thread to bash the current state of WDW, but there are a lot of things that used to be done that have been stopped or cut for various reasons. I'm just curious what some people miss.

Something for me was the little Mickey Mouse shaped butter at the restaurant in the castle and the after dinner mints that most sit down restaurants used to give out at the end of the meal.
um the photo search where i could search photos

MeMawto2

I'm not creating this thread to bash the current state of WDW, but there are a lot of things that used to be done that have been stopped or cut for various reasons. I'm just curious what some people miss.

Something for me was the little Mickey Mouse shaped butter at the restaurant in the castle and the after dinner mints that most sit down restaurants used to give out at the end of the meal.
I miss the drawing classes at Hollywood Studio! Loved them!

tizzo

I know this is probably not exactly what you're looking for, but I miss being able to take advantage of all the little secrets that I've learned over 15 years as a passholder.

For example knowing how the MK parking lot loads, starting on the left side until it's full then switching to the right, meant that arriving in the late afternoon as is our habit we could usually bypass the right side, enter on the left which by then was close to half empty, and park right up front. No waiting in a line of cars, each of which has to ask the parking attendant something (what?!). No trying to dodge people who insist on ignoring cast member instructions and walking through traffic. No near misses as the car parked next to me flings open their doors and uses my parking spot to set up their stroller, gather all their stuff, and just relax and take it all in for a minute or three...

Now the best spots are "preferred" parking, and you're no longer allowed to park anywhere else on the left side if the right side is open.

I know controlling the experience is Disney's thing, but it seems to me that they're in danger of taking things a little too far, if they haven't already.

paigelovesdisney

I miss....

- MK staying open until 2:00am for Magic Hours
- McDonald's in the parks
- Cinnamon Rolls from Main Street Bakery (I know Gaston's but it's just not the same)
- Giant Sugar Cookies from the MSB
- Old Fast passes as others have said.
- Electric Lights Parade
- Maelstrom (I also am not a fan of Frozen!)
- Sitting up front in monorail

Volobrian

My family owns the Volo Museum near Chicago. We've been able to acquire and preserve many of the Disney items to display in our museum. Some of the items are the Characters on Holiday Omnibus, the Dizzy Lizzy which was a parade car from Disneyland in the 50's and 60's, Disney Mold A Rama that makes the Disney characters, Barbie's convertible from the Epcot Barbie Birthday, and more. volocars.com

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom