What is your earliest memory of WDW?

AREM

Original Poster
My parents took me and my sister to WDW when I was 10, and my earliest memory of that trip was watching a parade, and having the Queen Of Hearts try and get me to dance with her in the parade! I wouldn't do it of course. :)

How about you guys? What is your first memory of WDW?

wedway71

I was born in 1971 and went there the first year. For some some reason one of my first memories around that time was nothing spectacular.

I remember standing under one of the hard greenish canopies on the circle in front of where Main Street meets the front of the castle. I remember my Dad holding me while we watched fireworks.
For some reason that memory is one of my first and best memories at WDW.

Captain Hank

My parents took me to a character breakfast on the Empress Lilly for my third birthday. Not only is it my first memory of WDW, it's my first memory, period.

Bug715

I remember the slide at Dixie Landings (I think. I was only 5 so I could be confusing it with some other place).

I also remember that I HATED The Main Street Electrical Parade! One night I kept riding the old ride where buzz is now. They didn't even make me get off. For one of my last trips I called to ask a question and they had that music on. I had to put it on speakerphone so I didn't have to put it up to my ear. My parents say that it must have scared me but I still hate the music. I love SpectroMagic now!

I remember my first trip on Haunted Mansion I had my hands over my ears the whole ride. Not because the ghost host scared me. There were girls (maybe teenagers) who were screaming all through it.

I think those are the only real memories I have from my first trip. I've seen pictures that make me remember things but that's it.

MKCP 1985

Lots of wood siding at the Disney Village, where we reported to get checked into our treehouse lodging. There is still a little taste of it at the Downtown Disney Marketplace, but you sort of have to look for it.

3 Little Pigs and Big Bad Wolf appearances in the Town Square. The pigs just kind of flopped their arms around, and so did Winnie the Pooh.

A through E tickets

Nautilus submarines in the 20K lagoon. I kept waiting for them to go all the way under. . . maybe they submerge after they go through the waterfall and into that cave. . .

There was a wall that separated Liberty Square from Fantasyland. Right there just past the entrance to the queue for Haunted Mansion, where the upstairs dining is at Liberty Tree Tavern, there was a wood fence that blocked you from going up the hill into Fantasyland. Instead, you had to walk around and go through the Castle.

I remember the candy sold in little plastic cube boxes in the candy shop on Main Street.

Steamboat Willie was shown in a continuous loop along with silent films in the Main Street Cinema.

Skyway to Tomorrowland. . . and back to Fantasyland . . .

Dark rides and animatronics. Life in the Magic Kingdom before any of the mountains!

yankspy

Lots of wood siding at the Disney Village, where we reported to get checked into our treehouse lodging. There is still a little taste of it at the Downtown Disney Marketplace, but you sort of have to look for it.

3 Little Pigs and Big Bad Wolf appearances in the Town Square. The pigs just kind of flopped their arms around, and so did Winnie the Pooh.

A through E tickets

Nautilus submarines in the 20K lagoon. I kept waiting for them to go all the way under. . . maybe they submerge after they go through the waterfall and into that cave. . .

There was a wall that separated Liberty Square from Fantasyland. Right there just past the entrance to the queue for Haunted Mansion, where the upstairs dining is at Liberty Tree Tavern, there was a wood fence that blocked you from going up the hill into Fantasyland. Instead, you had to walk around and go through the Castle.

I remember the candy sold in little plastic cube boxes in the candy shop on Main Street.

Steamboat Willie was shown in a continuous loop along with silent films in the Main Street Cinema.

Skyway to Tomorrowland. . . and back to Fantasyland . . .

Dark rides and animatronics. Life in the Magic Kingdom before any of the mountains!
Thanks for that one. I had forgotten about that candy in the cubes. A lot of mine have to do with food as well. I remember getting juice in the plastic orange shaped containers. I remember eating at the Village restaurant and listening to the lounge singers. I remember Lite Bite. My most vivid memory of a restaurant was Oscar Mayer on Main Street. (Tony's) It used to have an open patio and you would be able to eat breakfast and listen to the sounds of Main Street.

I also remember many stores like the Gourmet Shop, Toys Fantastique, the place where they used to hand carve intricate candles, Centorium, and the House of Magic.

krankenstein

I remember riding Dumbo multiple times. I mean to the point that Mom had to lay on bench because of motion sickness. :lol:

I also remember the Skyway. I loved that thing! Now the buildings sit there mocking me. :cry:

My first trip to WDW was in January of 1972. I remember being in awe of the Christmas tree--I had never seen one so large. It still stands out in my mind. I also remember meeting Snow White on the castle steps, and being so nervous that I called her Cinderella. As I recall, she was a little peeved. I remember how exciting Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was. I talked about that experience for years afterward! I think my sister and I rode it 5 or 6 time. Finally, I remember wondering why anyone would stay in a WDW hotel--after all, there was only one park and you could pretty much do it in a day, in our opinion at the time. We figured those people had more money than brains. (Now I've stayed at nearly every resort; staying at Disney resorts is one of the high points of our trip!)

VT GAL

There are so many...

My Mom screaming her lungs out during Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

My Dad telling me that the pirates are busy, because the boats came back empty on POTC.

The smell of the 20,000k subs and oranges in Horizons.

Not wanting to get off of SSE (some things never change).

World of Motion.

Loving Figment.

Chickening out of riding Space Mountain.

And my favorite...

My Dad telling us it was too expensive to eat in the Mexican Pavilion, and seeing the look of disappointment in his eyes because he wanted to eat there, too. Although I got to take him and my Mom to WDW 22 years later as a thank you for all that they have done for me, and we ate there our first night and his smile was a mile wide. Some things are worth waiting for!

My Dad telling us it was too expensive to eat in the Mexican Pavilion, and seeing the look of disappointment in his eyes because he wanted to eat there, too. Although I got to take him and my Mom to WDW 22 years later as a thank you for all that they have done for me, and we ate there our first night and his smile was a mile wide. Some things are worth waiting for!

That is lovely. I have also treated my parents to WDW, including a stay at the Poly for their 50th anniversary--NOW they get why people stay on property! It's a great thing to be able to do for those who gave us so much.

yankspy

There are so many...

My Mom screaming her lungs out during Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

My Dad telling me that the pirates are busy, because the boats came back empty on POTC.

The smell of the 20,000k subs and oranges in Horizons.

Not wanting to get off of SSE (some things never change).

World of Motion.

Loving Figment.

And my favorite...

That reminded me of another early memory. I have posted this picture before. It is of my Dad and I. I remember it because it was my first set of Mickey ears. I remember him buying them for me. I remember him being so excited about getting me my first pair of ears. I was so happy to have my own personalized hat. My sister made this picture for me shortly after he passed away a few years ago.

picture.php

AREM

Original Poster

!!!!!!!! I forgot about that!!!!

I too chickened out on riding it. We got all the way up to the loading dock, and were about to get in, when I freaked out and didn't want to ride. My dad and grandpa who were in line with me, decided to go ahead and ride it, so I waited for them. Getting to go back for the first time since I was 10 and ride SM last April was such a treat. I got to see exactly what it was that I chickened out on! It was so much fun.

Although, I'd be lying if I said that I didn't started getting nervous again as I approached the loading dock! It was so funny. But this time, I didn't loose my nerve! :sohappy:

VT GAL

Disneychic71 -

It was the most awesome feeling I have ever had!!!

Yankspy-

What a great story! I am kicking myself that I did not get a picture of my DD walking hand-in-hand with my parents down Main St. for the first time...I was just too wrapped up in the moment!!!

yankspy

This is so beautiful it made me cry. What a wonderful photo and memory.

Disneychic71 -

It was the most awesome feeling I have ever had!!!

Yankspy-

What a great story! I am kicking myself that I did not get a picture of my DD walking hand-in-hand with my parents down Main St. for the first time...I was just too wrapped up in the moment!!!
Thanks. I must be getting sentimental as I age.:animwink:

VT GAL

AREM -

First off, what a great thread!!!

I am glad that I am not the only chicken :)! My Dad gave me such grief about chickening out, I was so angry at him!!!

Thanks. I must be getting sentimental as I age.:animwink:

Clearly you're not the only one! I'm in a spot right now where I'm a thousand miles from my aging parents, and I haven't seen them in about 7 months, so I'm extra weepy. We'll be together for the holidays, though:sohappy:

Hot4Hudgens

Oddly enough, popping my bubble gum and having it stick to my eyebrow, lol. I was 4 years old and in the backseat on the way back to the Contemporary. :(

yankspy

AREM -

First off, what a great thread!!!
I am glad that I am not the only chicken :)! My Dad gave me such grief about chickening out, I was so angry at him!!!
Agreed. Here is another one for you VT GAL. This is a bad picture of Danny Kaye filming the opening special for Epcot. We were there for a preview before the grand opening. I remember wondering who he was. My parents explained to me that he was a famous actor. It is kind of funny how you can remember little things after such a long time.

Hrudey3032

My earliest memory is when we were at the Magic Kingdom with my parents and brother and riding Haunted Mansion with my dad.I also remember riding the old Mike Fink Keel boats. I will also always remember the first trip to Epcot and being in awe of it as we first rode Spaceship Earth and the original Energy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom