What is it the Universal does BETTER than Disney?

EvanAnderson

All 4 parks at Disney are themed parks. I don't get how your "dreams can come true" at a theme park. My dream is to be a rockstar. I can't be a rockstar at Disney.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I really dont know why I pay attention to such bollocks, however, I guess it would be too much to expect the cliches to go away, and emotion/marketing messages be replaced by facts.

Maybe Im wrong but as far as I can tell and I think most scientists would support the view, theres no magic at Disney either, some pre conditioned emotions perhaps but no super natural forces, unless you mean the pricing.

agent86

Sure, the theming is superior... but where's the MAGIC?!?!!

Then we checked out after our two day stay and proceeded to start are Disney vacation and felt like I was in a place where dreams do come true.

The problem with posts like these is that they aren't really saying anything. They're just rhetoric. What does "magic" and "dreams come true" mean (aside from being Disney marketing taglines)??

xipetotec

In terms of thrills and pushing the envelop, Universal definitely does a better job (but then again, the business who is behind the leader generally is more innovative in an attempt to gain marketshare, so I suppose it shouldn't be that suprising).also, Universal's express system is a great incentive for on site guests, something Disney should really look into implementing.

Yeah a great "incentive" and I hope Disney does NOT implement it. I feel that the current "Fastpass" system rewards fans of the ride who are willing to make the rush to get the fastpass rather than those exclusively staying Disney property. And don't get me wrong, we always stay on Disney property, so it would benefit me in that respect. I just don't think disney should change their approach here.

xipetotec

I live in the Orlando area and I have worked for both companies. It AMAZES me to read these forums and others all over the internet, and people post their trip reports. I read of ones from Disney and Universal.

I have actually seen the Disney ones state they had a horrible time, the parks were too crowded, too many rides broke down, stuck on the monorail for 45 minutes, had to wait 30 minutes for a bus, the food was too generic, and they felt the service was declining. But then they said "I however loved it and would forever keep going there."

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

They that SAME poster will post about Universal and say the SMALLEST detail not being perfect, like how their locker at Hulk wouldn't open and say how horrible the place is and that they can't believe such a place exists next to the ALMIGHTY AND POWERFUL DISNEY WORLLDDDDD!!!! HALLLLEEELLLUJIAHHHH!!! HALLLEEELLUJIAHHH!!!

Those people are stubborn and don't want to give anything else a try.

well I'm with ya. I DO love Disney, and I DO love going back time and time again. And I'll even say I prefer it to Universal. But I would *never* say that the one time we went to IOA and like 3 attractions in the park were down would keep me from going again. It was a very nice park, and we had a great time there. ( Not to mention we are RABID fans of HHN )

Skip

Speaking of HHN, am I the only one who's impressed by how well Universal pulls it off every year? We're not talking the same parade and fireworks show every year with some free candy on the side, we're talking 8 all-new, completely developed attractions along with 6 rethemed regular areas of the park, as well as at least 2 revised shows! I mean hell, half the time it's based on original content (like The Usher this year)... it just baffles me how well they accomplish it, and it baffles me further when people try to compare them to Six Flags... there really is no comparison...

WDW Vacationer

Speaking of HHN, am I the only one who's impressed by how well Universal pulls it off every year? We're not talking the same parade and fireworks show every year with some free candy on the side, we're talking 8 all-new, completely developed attractions along with 6 rethemed regular areas of the park, as well as at least 2 revised shows! I mean hell, half the time it's based on original content (like The Usher this year)... it just baffles me how well they accomplish it, and it baffles me further when people try to compare them to Six Flags... there really is no comparison...
Well done during the party. I hated seeing it during the day. Random trailers throughout and a street closed if I remember right.

agent86

I would not spin it. Disney does not leave after hours things in the parks. You don't see MNSHP lighting on non party nights.

Once again though, I think you're missing the point. I'm not saying that very same specific thing is happening at Disney. What I'm referring to is that you seem to have a pattern of bashing things that Universal does, while making excuses for similar (or worse) things at Disney. It comes across as biased, which takes away any credibility your posts might otherwise have.

WDW Vacationer

Once again though, I think you're missing the point. I'm not saying that very same specific thing is happening at Disney. What I'm referring to is that you seem to have a pattern of bashing things that Universal does, while making excuses for similar (or worse) things at Disney. It comes across as biased, which takes away any credibility your posts might otherwise have.

Not biased! I did not bash Universal for things Disney does to. I said I did not feel welcome in Uni., most off the Team Members were rude and the entertainment was not great. I did not bash for upkeep and the like, which Disney slipped on, but I think they are changing.

coasterphil

True, but have there never been cranes in Universal? They must have flown the peices to the top for HRRR!

That's not the same thing at all. Your original complaint about Universal and my observation about Disney were examples of how hard ticket event can sometimes cause issues/be unsightly during day operations. A construction crane for a new attraction is another issue entirely.

WDW Vacationer

That's not the same thing at all. Your original complaint about Universal and my observation about Disney were examples of how hard ticket event can sometimes cause issues/be unsightly during day operations. A construction crane for a new attraction is another issue entirely.

Castle lights are not just afterhours.

coasterphil

Castle lights are not just afterhours.

Fair enough. Then let's go with the hideous CM costumes I'm subjected to, the pain of switching turnstile operating modes at 4pm (which keeps anyone from being able to enter the park for 5 -15 minutes), and wristband distribution sites clogging up walkways. The latter two bother me more as a day guest than the HHN props/theming that Universal leaves out during the day.

Mouse Man

Honestly for the most part you do not feel welcomed at Universal like you do a WDW. The shows at Universal are OK at best. Now Universal does have some well thought out rides that I like, E.T., Mummy, JP and Men in black and lastly Spider Man. These rides in my mind is what makes Universal fun. I still do look at Universal as an upbeat six flags park. This is one place that I do not feel comfortable at all staying at one of there hotels like I do at one of the Disney's Resorts. Honestly Universal is a fun park to visit for the day but not to stay at.

Skip

Honestly for the most part you do not feel welcomed at Universal like you do a WDW. The shows at Universal are OK at best. Now Universal does have some well thought out rides that I like, E.T., Mummy, JP and Men in black and lastly Spider Man. These rides in my mind is what makes Universal fun. I still do look at Universal as an upbeat six flags park. This is one place that I do not feel comfortable at all staying at one of there hotels like I do at one of the Disney's Resorts. Honestly Universal is a fun park to visit for the day but not to stay at.

:brick::brick::brick:

No, no, no. This has gone beyond ridiculous. I'm no good with gathering pictures, but can someone please just post a nice pictorial that shows how Universal's theming is on par with Disney's - and in some cases, even blows it out of the water?

As for stuff during the day - here's what I saw last year during the day for the 2008 event. I saw a creepy Halloween-ish Schoolhouse along with a bus. I saw several crates on sidewalks, that during the event, pump out fog. I saw a few ladders on the sides of buildings for the flying monkey acrobats. And I saw columns made of cards for the Alice in Wonderland zone. Oh, did I mention the hundreds of jack-o-lanterns lining Central Park, which surpass most of Disney's Halloween overlays, and still looked amazing during the day?

I mean honestly, the things you say really do sound ridiculous sometimes. Even if it WERE ugly, which it really wasn't, what do you expect them to do? Haul it all off backstage after each and every night, only to bring it back out the next evening? That's just impractical. I'm sure if Disney did similar things you'd be praising it as wonderful place-making and a good "preview" for what was to come at night.

Regarding team members - thanks SirGoofy, you summed it up pretty nicely.

Sorry WDW_Vacationer, but the fact that you continue to claim you have no bias is a bit groan-worthy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom