What I Think Epcot Needs

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
dave2822 said:
Does EPCOT have room for an e-ticket? Surely they have no room heading back, because you can already see countries from parts of the Boardwalk..

There are still 6 plots in World Showcase ready to take countries (Including the one the Millenium Food and Wine Convention Private Party Tent is on)

Italy only takes up a third of its plot, Germany hasn`t finished its Rhine River show building (and probably never will), Morocco still has a third of its slim plot free, as does France, and the World Gateway only uses half its plot, as does the United Kingdom. Loadsa room!

Oh to see the Sydney Opera House on the shoreline as originally planned - now THAT would have been a landmark:

Attachments

• world showcase australia.jpeg
    world showcase australia.jpeg
    274.2 KB · Views: 41

dave2822

marni1971 said:
There are still 6 plots in World Showcase ready to take countries (Including the one the Millenium Food and Wine Convention Private Party Tent is on)

Italy only takes up a third of its plot, Germany hasn`t finished its Rhine River show building (and probably never will), Morocco still has a third of its slim plot free, as does France, and the World Gateway only uses half its plot, as does the United Kingdom. Loadsa room!

Ah, thank you! I was always curious about how much land WS has left to operate under.

tomm4004

rainfully said:
The main problem here is that i believe (corrrect me if I'm wrong) that each pavillion is sponsored by their own country. So if Italy wants an E-ticket, it has to be taken up with the actual country of Italy. I believe that's why, say, Morocco doesn't have an attraction... they couldn't afford one.

If that's all lies please tell me because that's the impression that I get.
I believe you are right. Of course, Germany, Italy and Japan were supposed to have attractions on opening day. You can see the entrance to where the Germany boat ride was supposed to be -where the snacky place is now. The Japan show was supposed to be through the castle gates; and Italy's gondola ride was supposed to be down the steps out front.

The Japan show actually played in Toyko Disneyland for many years. It was okay, but I'm not sure how American audiences would have taken to it. Also, Tokyo DisneySea does have a gondola ride that would have been similar. It was fun - although the gondolier spoke in Japanese so I couldn't understand him. People were laughing heartily though.

I'd love to see more attractions there, but I'm wondering who would benefit. The restaurants all seem full, and the stores seem to do pretty well. Disney just collects rent and royalties I believe, so I'm not sure who would foot the bill for new things.

tazhughes

dave2822 said:
I'm sorry, I am still have difficulty seeing some of these attractions fitting in with WS. There are some great ideas, don't get me wrong, but most of them seem to dwell on fantasy.

You mean like a boat ride through a mayan pyramid with singing and dancing dolls? Or Trolls that attack your boat?

I realize that the trolls are based upon real mythology of that country, but it is still just fantasy. I have no problem with a ride being full of fantasy especially if it is originated from that country. Now to be fair Brother Bear does not originate in that country, but took place there, however I am pretty confident that it was based upon a real Inuit Indian myth, so to me it gives a representation of that countries culture that the pavilion could explain through either a pre or post show.

tazhughes

tomm4004 said:
I'd love to see more attractions there, but I'm wondering who would benefit. The restaurants all seem full, and the stores seem to do pretty well. Disney just collects rent and royalties I believe, so I'm not sure who would foot the bill for new things.

I would think that since Disney is allegedly attempting to build in India they might be able to entice their country to sponsor a new pavilion. Just imagine the possibility of being able to promote Disneyland Bombay (just an example) in the India pavilion in WDW. That kind of synergy is a cornerstoen of recent Disney corporate decisions and makes great business sense for both sides. Wouldn't India like to have the American tourist dollar coming into their country by way of Disney? Just a thought.

Also to be perfectly selfish, I would benefit and so would everyother Disneyphile that takes a trip to WDW every year.

disneysailor

marni1971 said:
Oh to see the Sydney Opera House on the shoreline as originally planned - now THAT would have been a landmark:

Wow! Where did you get that picture from, and do you have any more like it?

This is not like the plans for a 'Commonwealth of Australia' pavillion that I came across in the Disney archives when I worked at WDW. The one I saw had a rollercoaster called the Outback Switchback which was set amongst the Olga mountains (Aboriginal name Kata Tjuta) of central Australia. There was a typical Aussie pub/restaurant, two nature greenhouses, and even track layout plans and CM costume designs- but no Opera House. The pavillion was supposed to be located where International Gateway is now, in between France and the UK.

I'd love to see some more plans, pictures or models of any unbuilt attractions in World Showcase. If anyone can point me in the right direction, that'd be great.

Cheers! :wave:

disneysailor

SirGoofy said:
An Aladdin magic carpet ride would be a great fit in Morroco. This is the pavillion, which needs the most help IMO. I have never gone in and looked around this pavillion like I have all the rest.

Wrong part of the world. Aladdin is Arabian whereas Morocco is on the north west coast of Africa, and very close to Spain across the Straits of Gibraltar.

The authorities in Morocco built the pavillion as a genuine showcase for the culture and art of the country, rather than an outright tourist attraction. As a result, the design and features of the pavillion have to take into account the religious and cultural sensibilities of the country. Hence the lack of flashy lights, rides and characters.

This is in no way a bad thing, as there are plenty of other countries that could provide 'thrills and spills' (note I said 'could' rather than 'do'!) , and it's good to have a mixture of more realistic educational showcases along with more whimsical pastiches of countries like the UK or Germany.

How can you feel that Morocco needs more help, especially as you haven't experienced it for yourself? If you take some time just to wander around the back 'streets' of the pavillion, you will become completely immersed (you can't see any other part of Epcot) and you will feel like you aren't in WDW anymore. Such escapism is definately something worth experiencing!

SirGoofy

D'oh! Don't I feel stoopid now. :lol: I can't believe I didn't know where Aladdin was set. But I could have sworn I've seen Aladdin and Jasmin standing outside the pavillion...Oh well.

I was thinking about what could be put in other countries, and I thought of a great(disclaimer: I think ALL my ideas are great :lol: ) idea for Great Britian. What about a King Arthur themed ride? But this won't be just any King Arthur ride. As you ascend a hill to the first show scene you hear the clapping of horse hooves, but as you round a bend you find that they aren't hooves at all: they're coconuts! Yup, a ride based on Montey Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail. I think it could make a great comiedic addition to WS, and Disney does have a good relatiionship with Eric Idle, so it could happen. But of course it won't :lol:

lawyergirl77

SirGoofy said:
D'oh! Don't I feel stoopid now. :lol: I can't believe I didn't know where Aladdin was set. But I could have sworn I've seen Aladdin and Jasmin standing outside the pavillion...Oh well.

*snip*

You actually have... If you venture into Morocco, near the restaurant's entrance in the back, they have on proud display "Meet the characters from Aladdin" and Aladdin and Jasmine are usually there for a meet n greet.

So while Morocco may not strictly speaking "Arabian", TWDC hasn't let that get in their way.

FigmentJedi

SirGoofy said:
Japan would be great for a coaster/darkride hybrid with Godzilla. I know, it sounds cheesey, but how cool would it be to be attacked by a huge Godzilla AA?
They actually considered that once, though I'm not sure if it was a coaster...

Christina

Great ideas!

Although I already LOVE WS for what it is, which is a nice, relaxing senic view I'm all for a new E-Ticket in the WS... as long as it doesn't disturb the flow and feel of the WS. I think so many people just go to Future World and don't even venture into WS because they're not to sure what's in it...

So a E-Ticket would help, and I'm for it... once again, as long as it doesn't disturb the feel...

mkepcotmgmak

Original Poster
Christina said:
Great ideas!

Although I already LOVE WS for what it is, which is a nice, relaxing senic view I'm all for a new E-Ticket in the WS... as long as it doesn't disturb the flow and feel of the WS. I think so many people just go to Future World and don't even venture into WS because they're not to sure what's in it...

So a E-Ticket would help, and I'm for it... once again, as long as it doesn't disturb the feel...

very true. WS has a very certain 'feel' to it that it should hold on to. I wouldn't really want another 'educational' boat ride like El Rio Del Tiempo, nor do i want another movie showcasing the country... (boring... although Impressions De France is very nice and relaxing, i can't get into the Canada or China movies...)

I hope if an E-Ticket comes, it would be more along the lines of Maelstrom, which is really 'educational' but is themed around myths from that culture. I also don't really want a disney character invasion, such as a Mulan attraction in China or a Pinocchio attraction in Italy...

think along the lines of E:E in Asia over at AK - nothing 'disney' about it, yet it is more than likely going to be a great ride, but an even better story!

Pongo

tomm4004 said:
I believe the story of Aladdin originated in China.

Nope. It was one of Schaherizade's (probably butchered her name) stories in 1001 Arabian Nights. Along with Ali Baba and the 40 thieves and the like...

mkepcotmgmak

Original Poster
marni1971 said:

wow! i've never seen that pic before! it looks GREAT!

mkepcotmgmak

Original Poster
Pongo said:
Nope. It was one of Schaherizade's (probably butchered her name) stories in 1001 Arabian Nights. Along with Ali Baba and the 40 thieves and the like...

that sounds right to me, or at least that's the way i've always heard it! i wonder if any of the 1000 stories left are as good as Aladdin... :lookaroun

Tom

Beta Return
GoCubs said:
An "Around the World" ride would be fun. I know that is what the WS is for the most part, but a ride would be cool too. Perhaps something POTC style going through several "scenes".

....Yeah, and they could call it "It's A Small World"-- oh wait, haven't I seen that somewhere before? :lol:

Honestly, I think this whole thread greatly reinforces the fact that Americans today must have immediate gratification. WS was not intended to be as entertaining as it was educational - heck, all of EPCOT was supposed to be educational, but we see how well they held onto that in the north end of the park.

I personally think WED did a superb job in designing these pavilions and incorporating the cultures, landscaping, construction and atmospheres of the respective countries. A few of them have movies about their country - which I still personally find boring, but the point of them is not to excite the viewer. A few of them have rides, but as we all know, the Mexico boat ride is about a -1,000 on a scale of 1-10 in entertainment value - but it still takes the guests on a all-encompassing tour of the Mexico culture. Norway incorporated a half-way exciting boat ride, and it was very well done - while keeping with the theme of the land and country.

If they're going to add rides to other countries, just to make the short-attention-span people happy, they need to be VERY careful and not commercialize the countries or Disney-fy them, at all. No movie plugs. No Disney characters. No hi-tech gizmos and gadgets. They need to fit in with each respective land, and still provide more of an enlightening and educational tour than a thrill or hair-raising spin on a coaster or flume. Those types of E-Ticket attractions do not belong in WS - that's not the point of that area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom