What I think...as of today...for now...

MAF

People are excited about the Snow White dark ride closing for a meet and greet? :shrug:

Oh and what about the new flume ride that was rumored?

A Circus land? Anyone getting a "Chester and Hester" vibe here?

Honestly I don't really care what they do as long as they keep the amazing theming that was portrayed in the promo picture that was released. I won't hold my breath though.

Skyway

Great summary Lee.

I'm also led to believe it will be highly themed. People need to remember though, this is not going to be Expedition Everest.

I picture this ride being compact and whimsical, possibly about the size and character of Disneyland's Storybookland/Casey Jr. complex. Maybe a little more elevated and not quite so wide. But certainly no Splash Mtn.

David S.

Thank for the infor Lee. This was kind of what I thought since Raven brought up the closing of an exisitng Fantasyland attraction to be repurposed for meet and greets. I think this is a great substitution.. SWSA is a great attraction but with a very small appeal. Too scary for younger kids and kind of bland for the rest of us.

Please don't speak for everyone (ie "kind of bland for the rest of us")! I LOVE the current Snow White ride, especially the beautiful and charming Happy Ending Scene! I like it MUCH better than the darker, dreary scarefest the attraction started out as.

The current Snow White's Adventures Attraction is my 7th favorite attraction in the Magic Kingdom, behind only (in order)

1A) It's A Small World
1B) Splash Mountain
3) Country Bear Jamboree
4) Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
5) Mickey's Philharmagic
6) Peter Pan's Flight
7) Snow White's Adventures

SAVE SNOW WHITE'S ADVENTURES!

"The One That Started It All" and "The Fairest In The Land" deserves to keep her ride in the Magic Kingdom!

David S.

Also, I know someone said awhile back that the artwork for the cottages had been removed off the fantasyland construction walls. Has anyone ever confirmed this?

I don't think artwork for the cottages was ever ON the wall. All I ever saw there was Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast.

yeti

Assuming the FLE rumors are settled, is there any validity to the "expand to other lands in the Magic Kingdom" idea?

And what about the Iceberg? :lol:

IWant2GoNow

Please don't speak for everyone (ie "kind of bland for the rest of us")! I LOVE the current Snow White ride, especially the beautiful and charming Happy Ending Scene! I like it MUCH better than the darker, dreary scarefest the attraction started out as.

Not attacking, but just making an observation. You say you like this version "MUCH" better than what it started out as, which mean the ride has changed.

Now we have a chance at getting a, possibly, better ride with a much higher budget and you're not willing to sacrifice the original? Who's to say the new ride won't have a better Happy Ending scene?

I enjoy old classic rides as well, but some of the old dark rides aren't getting the love they deserve and they look worn and utterly dated IMO.

I understand where you are coming from with losing an attraction that you enjoy so much though. I just think the anti-losing SWSA crowd should see some details on the new ride before condemning the idea.

I like the idea, but until I see what for sure is coming, I'll hold off on the SWSA debate. :animwink:

IWant2GoNow

Assuming the FLE rumors are settled, is there any validity to the "expand to other lands in the Magic Kingdom" idea?

And what about the Iceberg? :lol:

Oh ya...

You remember what happens when we ignore icebergs...

titanic_sinking_atlantic.jpg

David S.

Why is everyone so excited to see Snow White Scary Adventure go?

I'm not!

I would be excited about the Dwarf's Mine coaster if it was being used to COMPLIMENT, and not REPLACE, the existing dark ride!

Some will say having two rides based on the same film would be overkill, but I strongly disagree.

Disneyland has Casey Jr. and Dumbo both representing Dumbo, and they feel like two completely different, unique attractions, even though they are from the same film.

Likewise, Disneyland has Mad Tea Party and the Alice dark ride, both from the same film. The Tea Party focuses on just one specific scene, but the dark ride tells the story of, and explores the world of, the entire movie!

In our own MK, Mickey's Philharmagic has Peter Pan and Aladdin scenes, even though the park already has Peter Pan's Flight and the Magic Carpets.

So, I think a Dwarfs' Mine coaster should not make them consider the Snow White dark ride redundant!

Now we have a chance at getting a, possibly, better ride with a much higher budget and you're not willing to sacrifice the original? Who's to say the new ride won't have a better Happy Ending scene?

Even if the theming is great, the coaster will probably not be able to tell the STORY of Snow White the way the dark ride does. On a coaster, you move too fast to have anything other than a general sense of atmosphere and maybe some story elements connected with that (mainly in the queue more than on the ride itself!)

Even though I'm a coaster enthusiast, I liked the idea of a new Snow White ride using a flume system rather than a coaster, simply because that would work better for STORYTELLING. Look at how good the storytelling is on Splash Mountain!

The early scenes could depict the same scenes that are in the ride now. The lovely Wishing Well scene with Snow White singing "I'm Wishing", then the entrance into the castle, Magic Mirror, Transformation, Poisoned Apple, Flight Into the Forest. Then the great happy scenes of the Forest Animals and the Dwarfs' Cottage and the "Silly Song"!

Next would come Snow White eating the apple, the Mine scene, and the chase of the queen.

The drop could be the queen falling off the cliff, and there could be a happy ending show scene after the drop (as on Splash) with Snow White being awakened by the Prince, saying goodbye to the dwarfs, and living Happily Ever After! (this is my favorite scene in the current version of the MK Snow White dark ride!)

A flume system could have even EXPANDED the story compared to the dark ride, and added classic, iconic songs like "Whistle While You Work" and "Heigh Ho"!

BUT NO!

I could be wrong, but I just can't see them even getting all the story elements that are in the current ride into a coaster, no matter HOW good it is themed, and IMO that's why they should keep the current ride in ADDITION to the coaster!

It's certainly preferable to (yet another) meet and greet!
icon_wink.gif

This post is not meant to be argumentative; it's just my thoughts on why they should

SAVE SNOW WHITE'S ADVENTURES!

The "One That Started It All" and "The Fairest In The Land" deserves to keep her ride in the Magic Kingdom!

Skyway

"The One That Started It All" and "The Fairest In The Land" deserves to keep her ride in the Magic Kingdom!

I respect your opinion on losing a favorite attraction, but doesn't this brand new addition actually give a "deserving" Snow White something even more significant and prominent than what she has now? In three years, your heroine and her little pals will be plastered on every TV commercial, highway billboard, travel guide book, and park map.

(For the record, none of us know whether the actual Seven Dwarves attraction will be outstandingly better than SWA, or more in line with a Stitch/Tiki Room strike-out. Both opinions are valid at this point.)

But you must respect that this attraction breaks all the stereotypes that we've put on TDO and Disney. This is not a new "modern" franchise or the "Pixar-ification" of the parks. This is not merely being built to sell existing merchandise (although I have a feeling the Seven Dwarves are about to start reappearing on T-shirts, coffee mugs, and plush).

Although the attention may focus more on the Dwarves than Snow White, I can understand that from a marketing perspective (it's not just a "girly" princess ride any more). But as you know, the original SWA did not include any Snow White, and the current version merely had SW shoehorned in.

My question to you (and I ask this respectfully, not as an attack): If they had announced a rehab and expansion of the existing SWA, with a highly-themed new facade, the addition of more thrilling ride vehicles, and a coaster-like climax being built just outside the current building, would you be opposed?

And if not, how is this new plan different than a rehab/expansion?

EDIT: I see you posted some answers at the same time I was writing this.

ryno1982

Snow White's Adventures closed in 1993, so you're 17 years late. If you're so passionate about the ride, you might want to try getting the name right.

David S.

Nah...the Walt original is in DL. MK's just losing a clone, and not one of the better ones. It's a trade up

IMO, the current WDW version of the ride is the best version that has ever existed. Here's why:

http://www.kennetti.fi/swscary_10.html

As for being a "trade up",I hope I'm wrong, but I'm very skeptical that the coaster will be able to retain all of the STORYTELLING elements that are in the current ride, no matter how good the theming is. Big Thunder has great theming, but it moves too fast to be able to take in the elaborate type of storytelling scenes and diologue like you can get on a dark ride or boat ride. And even a "kiddie coaster" like Barnstormer moves too fast for this type of storytelling. That's why I was hoping if the Snow White dark ride closed, they would go with the rumoured flume ride attraction like Splash Mountain that could even expand the STORY even more!

Thanks for your info, though.

FutureWorld1982

Thank you so much for the new informations Lee!!
My only concern is the SWSA building. I hope the meet-and-greet will not be as "temporary" as the hat at the Studios. I would like to see a new (of course, small) dark ride in there....
It's way too big for just a meet-and-greet IMHO...

David S.

Snow White's Adventures closed in 1993, so you're 17 years late. If you're so passionate about the ride, you might want to try getting the name right.

That's really being and picking knits!

I believe that original version eventually got the "scary" name added to it as well. At any rate, the current version OPENED as Snow White's Adventures, and the "scary" was eventually added back in at some point. I prefer to call it by it's original name, to emphasize that it is the charming, cute, happy, elements that I like, more than the dark and scary elements.

It's kind of how some people prefer to still call the Studios "MGM" or Epcot "EPCOT". And lots of people called the Peoplemover "Peoplemover" even when it was officially called "TTA". I, for one, will ALWAYS call Cinderella's Golden Carousel, "Cinderella's Golden Carousel", instead of that Regal Prince Charming nonsense! ;) (and the idiots took the cute mice off of the new Carousel sign, I guess to make it more "male") :(

Nemo14

Thank you so much for the new informations Lee!!
My only concern is the SWSA building. I hope the meet-and-greet will not be as "temporary" as the hat at the Studios. I would like to see a new (of course, small) dark ride in there....
It's way too big for just a meet-and-greet IMHO...
Don't worry - they'll probably turn it into a pin station too..... :rolleyes:

Thrill

Even worse, as temporary as Mickey's Birthdayland/Toontown Fair. I'm hoping we'll see the meet and greet move elsewhere after a few months, to be replaced with a Mary Poppins dark ride.

Lee

Adventurer
Original Poster
I don't think artwork for the cottages was ever ON the wall. All I ever saw there was Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast.
The decision not to build the Cindy/Aurora complex was made dome time ago, likely before this walls even went up.

I haven't been given any information about any additions to other lands.
All I have on that is pure rumor and speculation. Nothing worth posting.

Testtrack321

I just don't think they'd spend the money to remove a ride, one that is popular and not costly to operate, and put in a meet and greet. Just sounds *off*. It's not like it eats money to operate (20k) or people have evolved from the show system or had poor street appeal (Timekeeper).

WorldKey

Just a thought but all this talk of mine coasters etc....If they really have ditched Cindy/Aurora and are designing a new ride for that space do you think there is a possibility that they just may use the Grizzly Coaster being built in HKDL? Judging by the scenes and concept art for this ride if they basically rethemed the scenes to include the Dwarfs they would have a Dwarf Mine Train coaster and most importantly this eliminates the development time it takes to design a new worthy attraction to take that space, considering it has been said that everything is still going to open for the 2012-2013 time frame. Of course this coaster has similarities to both BTM and EE so who knows!

Very good observation...this would give the results and a pretty intense ride at a cost savings (design). Many Disney ride designs have been 'cloned' and then re-themed in the past for time/cost savings (which is alright if done properly) e.g. ride vehicles for DL Indy ride and Dinosoaur.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom