What I think...as of today...for now...

David S.

Since everyone seems to be throwing in their own pieces of anecdotal evidence at this point...I'm not sure I've ever seen Dumbo in its entirety. I have a very vague memory of seeing "Baby Mine" and "Pink Elephants on Parade" at my grandparents' when I was a kid, so we might have been watching the movie on TV. :shrug:

First, if you (or anyone reading this) haven't seen the film in its entirety, I sincerely give you my HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION to do so as soon as possible. Open your heart to it completely, and be prepared to be taken on an emotional journey you will never forget! IMO, one of the great Masterpieces in all of cinema - NOT just animation!

It also has an awesome, fun, soundtrack from start to finish (both songs and score!)

Also I want to be clear that I'm not saying kids today wouldn't like Dumbo. I just don't think they have much of a chance to see it, because I don't think the movie has penetrated as deeply into the popular consciousness as some people seem to. (Just saying it's released on DVD a lot doesn't tell us much without knowing how well those discs sell. I've never personally gotten the impression that it was a "hot" seller.)

Until someone can produce some sales numbers, it really comes down to opinion, but at least I'm not alone in mine. :lol:

Well, if kids aren't seeing it like they used to, no one can be blamed except the DISGRACE that the Disney Channel has become. Up until 2001, the Vault Disney programming block would show Walt's Classics regularly (both animation and live-action), and this allowed established fans to be reminded of older Walt-era live action classics they may have forgotten, as well as introduced younger fans to both the live-action AND Animated Classics they hadn't yet seen.

Like playing a song on a radio, a TV broadcast increases awareness and increases sales. But now that the Disney Channel can no longer be bothered to show any of Walt Disney's movies, (and the live action ones that do get shown are all on TCM or Hallmark), I guess that could be why awareness of the classics may be down among the current generation of kids. Which is both a tragedy and a travesty!

But I still say the DVD and now BD sales are helping at least enough kids become aware of these movies to make their presence in the park's "relevant". Even if it works in reverse (ie - instead of knowing about the movie BEFORE going to the parks, they love the characters IN the parks, which makes them seek out the movies!)

That's how it worked for me! When I was a little kid in the 70's home video had not started yet and my first exposure to the characters from the DACs (Disney Animated Classics) was in the MK and DL Fantasyland! I became fans of Dumbo, Snow White, Alice, Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Cinderella, etc., in the PARKS first, so when the movies would get their once every 7-10 years theatrical release, I would FLOCK to see them on the big screen! Not once, but usually 2 or 3 times during each run!

And then of course in the Home Video era I collected them all so I could watch them anytime I want!

If Snow White, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Cinderella, Alice, Peter Pan, etc - which were all "old" and between 25-40 years old when I first got into them - were timeless and "relevent" enough to make new fans in the 70's and 80's, they are STILL timeless and relevant enough to make new fans today - even if the exposure first comes from the parks and not the films.

Thank God for the parks to help keep the Legacy of these great films and characters alive - because Disney Channel sure has dropped the ball!

ToTBellHop

First, if you (or anyone reading this) haven't seen the film in its entirety, I sincerely give you my HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION to do so as soon as possible. Open your heart to it completely, and be prepared to be taken on an emotional journey you will never forget! IMO, one of the great Masterpieces in all of cinema - NOT just animation!

It also has an awesome, fun, soundtrack from start to finish (both songs and score!)

Well, if kids aren't seeing it like they used to, no one can be blamed except the DISGRACE that the Disney Channel has become. Up until 2001, the Vault Disney programming block would show Walt's Classics regularly (both animation and live-action), and this allowed established fans to be reminded of older Walt-era live action classics they may have forgotten, as well as introduced younger fans to both the live-action AND Animated Classics they hadn't yet seen.

Like playing a song on a radio, a TV broadcast increases awareness and increases sales. But now that the Disney Channel can no longer be bothered to show any of Walt Disney's movies, (and the live action ones that do get shown are all on TCM or Hallmark), I guess that could be why awareness of the classics may be down among the current generation of kids. Which is both a tragedy and a travesty!

But I still say the DVD and now BD sales are helping at least enough kids become aware of these movies to make their presence in the park's "relevant". Even if it works in reverse (ie - instead of knowing about the movie BEFORE going to the parks, they love the characters IN the parks, which makes them seek out the movies!)

That's how it worked for me! When I was a little kid in the 70's home video had not started yet and my first exposure to the characters from the DACs was in the MK and DL Fantasyland! I became fans of Dumbo, Snow White, Alice, Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Cinderella, etc., in the PARKS first, so when the movies would get there once every 7-10 years theatrical release, I would FLOCK to see them on the big screen! Not once, but usually 2 or 3 times during each run!

And then of course in the Home Video era I collected them all so I could watch them anytime I want!

If Snow White. Dumbo, Peter Pan, Cinderella, Alice, Peter Pan, etc - which were all "old" and between 25-40 years old when I first got into them - were timeless and "relevent" enough to make new fans in the 70's and 80's, they are STILL timeless and relevant enough to make new fans today - even if the exposure first comes from the parks and not the films.

Thank God for the parks to help keep the Legacy of these great films and characters alive - because Disney Channel sure has dropped the ball!
And yet the Disney Channel is more popular than ever. Most of us may not love Disney Channel, but its target audience does...and it's making a fortune for Disney.

David S.

That's what I think. Almost everything Walt touched seems to be hallowed by fans today. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but I try to take off my "fan glasses" in discussions like this.

I don't believe the film was much of a success in its initial release. (Not necessarily its own fault, since the war in Europe really hurt the Disney releases in the late '30s and early '40s, but still...) Since then I know it has done better, but enough that it's now a rite of passage for most kids? I just don't see it.

Actually, it was a HUGE success that helped the studio get back on track since the budgets for Pinocchio, Fantasia, and the forthcoming Bambi were much higher and the war had cut off European markets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumbo

Krack

So back to the ride...I'm guessing the degree of thrill will be similar to say...Pirates?

Sounds like a slightly better themed Barnstormer to me.

Also, you can add me to the group (im in my mid-30s) who has never seen Dumbo and I'm not sure I know anyone who has ever seen it. I know I've never known anyone who has talked about it, aside from discussing the park attraction.

Wilt Dasney

Actually, it was a HUGE success that helped the studio get back on track since the budgets for Pinocchio, Fantasia, and the forthcoming Bambi were much higher and the war had cut off European markets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumbo

I stand corrected. :lol: (Although I notice the article mentions the movie's shoestring budget as a factor in its success.)

And you and I are in complete agreement over the Disney Channel. As a kid, there was a long period where my family was unable to visit the parks for personal reasons. TDC was so much fun to watch back then that it was like a little piece of Disney magic brought straight to you. However successful it might be now, it definitely ain't that anymore.

I might have to search out a Dumbo viewing myself after this discussion. :)

Grizzly Hall 71

That's how it worked for me! When I was a little kid in the 70's home video had not started yet and my first exposure to the characters from the DACs was in the MK and DL Fantasyland! I became fans of Dumbo, Snow White, Alice, Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Cinderella, etc., in the PARKS first, so when the movies would get there once every 7-10 years theatrical release, I would FLOCK to see them on the big screen! Not once, but usually 2 or 3 times during each run!

If Snow White. Dumbo, Peter Pan, Cinderella, Alice, Peter Pan, etc - which were all "old" and between 25-40 years old when I first got into them - were timeless and "relevent" enough to make new fans in the 70's and 80's, they are STILL timeless and relevant enough to make new fans today - even if the exposure first comes from the parks and not the films.

Disney Channel is more popular now than it was in 2001. So saying it's this and that isn't going to stop the millions of children watching it right now.

Btw doesn't Walt's classic still come on ABC? And sometimes those Classics do come on Disney Channel. Just not as frequently. Face it Disney Channel is better now. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Now if you want to argue against the demolition of Toon Disney then I would be on your side :wave:

JustInTime

Disney Channel is more popular now than it was in 2001. So saying it's this and that isn't going to stop the millions of children watching it right now.

Btw doesn't Walt's classic still come on ABC? And sometimes those Classics do come on Disney Channel. Just not as frequently. Face it Disney Channel is better now. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Now if you want to argue against the demolition of Toon Disney then I would be on your side :wave:
:lookaroun

David S.

And yet the Disney Channel is more popular than ever. Most of us may not love Disney Channel, but its target audience does...and it's making a fortune for Disney.

That doesn't mean that the people who watch the channel wouldn't enjoy seeing Walt's Animated Classics on there once in a while!

jt04

Also, you can add me to the group (im in my mid-30s) who has never seen Dumbo and I'm not sure I know anyone who has ever seen it. I know I've never known anyone who has talked about it, aside from discussing the park attraction.

Hasn't Lee confirmed it is not a traditional tracked coaster? :shrug:

MKCP 1985

I will agree that Dumbo is a good enough movie for its place in Disney history. It isn't awful and it isn't great, and there are some scenes that wouldn't pass the P.C. police of the 21st century (depictions of race and alcohol) while other scenes are timeless classics.

There are worse things that could be done than to theme an area of the Magic Kingdom around Dumbo's circus, but it isn't the greatest idea either. Since some of us HAVE seen Dumbo from beginning to end, how are the circus workers portrayed in that movie? Would you want the Disney cast to act the way those circus workers were portrayed, hmmmm???? :lol: NO! You wouldn't. They were mean to the elephants and drank excessively at the end of the show. Remember how it was that Dumbo came to see those pink elephants on parade? :lol:

No matter how much exposure Dumbo gets, he isn't going to suddenly replace any of the other beloved Disney classic characters. He is too quiet and lacks the gregarious personality of a Mickey, Goofy, Pluto or even Stitch!

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
As someone new to the forum, and also someone who tends to have (nearly) complete faith in Disney (unless we're talking about removing Dreamfinder or the abomonation that is the Tiki Room UNM), I'm fairly excited about the whole FLE and the Mine Ride aspect.

My concern though, I hope it has a different feeling than the standard "runaway train through a mountain" that BTMRR, EE, and even to some degree Matterhorn at Disneyland. I guess once we find out how the story aspect will be handled, this concern could be wiped away.

It's just my only minor worry about all that has been either announced or posted on here as a rumor and that includes Dumbo-land, which I am cautiously optimistic about. Now if they only go ahead with the 2011 release of Dumbo so that I can show my kid the movie. Now all she knows is that it is her favorite ride, but has no idea about the story.

Grizzly Hall 71

As someone new to the forum, and also someone who tends to have (nearly) complete faith in Disney (unless we're talking about removing Dreamfinder or the abomonation that is the Tiki Room UNM), I'm fairly excited about the whole FLE and the Mine Ride aspect.

My concern though, I hope it has a different feeling than the standard "runaway train through a mountain" that BTMRR, EE, and even to some degree Matterhorn at Disneyland. I guess once we find out how the story aspect will be handled, this concern could be wiped away.

It's just my only minor worry about all that has been either announced or posted on here as a rumor and that includes Dumbo-land, which I am cautiously optimistic about. Now if they only go ahead with the 2011 release of Dumbo so that I can show my kid the movie. Now all she knows is that it is her favorite ride, but has no idea about the story.

Welcome :wave:

Mattehorn is a bobsled ride not a train. And also before we start complaining and arguing about the ride let's make sure we get an official Disney announcement. Not disrespecting our insiders I just want to be sure this is right so my hopes won't be crushed if they change it up.

jt04

Remember SWSA is completely flat but depicts changes in elavation. This new ride has the potential for slight elavation changes. Similar as someone said, to pirates. Really really awesome possibilities for true Disney magic.

And welcome.:wave:

jt04

Welcome :wave:

Mattehorn is a bobsled ride not a train. And also before we start complaining and arguing about the ride let's make sure we get an official Disney announcement. Not disrespecting our insiders I just want to be sure this is right so my hopes won't be crushed if they change it up.

Even I believe Lee and Juan now. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom