What I think...as of today...for now...

Castle Cake Apologist

Splash is not exactly part of the old West.

Just so we're all clear here and on the same page as you...

Splash Mountain is NOT okay being in Frontierland, because its roots originate in the south (even though color schemes, costuming, etc. were all changed to reflect our Frontierland location and better match with its western themes).

Buuuut... Tom Sawyer Island, another piece of classic literature with roots in the south... totally okay being in Frontierland, because it's a "classic".

Right?

Aside from all that, these new plans sound much much much better. Thank you Lee, you're always giving us all hope. :)

ToTBellHop

OK, gotta go. It's been real. Really. :wave:
Let the door hit you on the way out.

I've always found Splash to be very well themed for Frontierland--regardless of where Song of the South is set, the ride fits very well, right down to the redone soundtrack which makes the ride fit right in. I think that's better than inventing a separate sub-land for the ride...Critter Country has always seemed a bit off to me...especially now with a Pooh ride.

lazyboy97o

I'm all for a runaway mine train but not at the expense or cheapening of what has been announced. I accept Lee's word the quality will be retained. Circus-land? Yeah that I am concerned about.
Just admit that this bothers you because you have publicly made so many comments about this Meet & Greet complex was part of Disney's plan to more firmly focus on families with young children, and that the removal of this as a large complex just shows your guess was wrong. You would not be in this position if you did not spend so much time portraying your opinions as fact.

The Dumbo area has always been in the plans, always. The stationary Casey Jr was in the blueprints. The clown coaster speculated to be the aerial drawing.

With talks of there now being room for expansion, the biggest change I see is a better use of space. Replacing Snow White's Scary Adventure with a new attraction, will, in my guess, increase real capacity at the park (so long as the new attraction draws in more people than the existing attraction).

RSoxNo1

I'm gonna give credit to jt for a moment.

Splash Mountain is not a perfect fit thematically for Frontierland. Conceptually and Soarin' isn't a great fit for The Land. The thing is, nobody complains about them because they're great attractions.

The some possibility does exist with the Fantasyland Expansion. There are elements of Fantasyland and the expansion that aren't cohesive. If the attractions don't deliver on the goods, the lack of a cohesive theme across all of Fantasyland could become another complaint.

I don't foresee this as happening, but the possibility certainly exists. I would agree that it does kind of cheapen some of the concept of theming, but Fantasyland itself is a relatively random collection of attractions as it is. It may be a tougher argument than Splash Mountain where the time period for the attraction is off with respect to the rest of the land.

jt04

Splash Mountain is NOT okay being in Frontierland, because its roots originate in the south (even though color schemes, costuming, etc. were all changed to reflect our Frontierland location and better match with its western themes).

Buuuut... Tom Sawyer Island, another piece of classic literature with roots in the south... totally okay being in Frontierland, because it's a "classic".

Right?

Aside from all that, these new plans sound much much much better. Thank you Lee, you're always giving us all hope. :)

OK one more. TSI is also a stretch. I'd like it rethemed to PatF. So when viewed from LS it will be a location on the mississippi and it's archetecture would reflect it. But when viewed from FL the architecture would be more in line with the old west. As the fort does now. In my AI world the fort would act as a facade hiding a Dr Facilier attraction. When viewed from the HM or riverboat from the other side it would look like his mansion in the movie. This stuff really is not that difficult.

Thrill

Right?

I was thinking the same thing. What's an island in the Mississippi doing in the same land as a mountain that belongs further west? I don't think it totally kills the land, and neither does Splash Mountain.

jt04

Just admit that this bothers you because you have publicly made so many comments about this Meet & Greet complex was part of Disney's plan to more firmly focus on families with young children, and that the removal of this as a large complex just shows your guess was wrong. You would not be in this position if you did not spend so much time portraying your opinions as fact.

The Dumbo area has always been in the plans, always. The stationary Casey Jr was in the blueprints. The clown coaster speculated to be the aerial drawing.

With talks of there now being room for expansion, the biggest change I see is a better use of space. Replacing Snow White's Scary Adventure with a new attraction, will, in my guess, increase real capacity at the park (so long as the new attraction draws in more people than the existing attraction).

My plans that I AI'ed do not incude the mega m&g's. So....:shrug:

And I realize Dumbo was in the plans but I never liked it but even less so as a mega circus land. :hurl:

And we are losing a classic ride. They are going to get letters.

lazyboy97o

OK one more. TSI is also a stretch. I'd like it rethemed to PatF. So when viewed from LS it will be a location on the mississippi and it's archetecture would reflect it. But when viewed from FL the architecture would be more in line with the old west. As the fort does now. In my AI world the fort would act as a facade hiding a Dr Facilier attraction. When viewed from the HM or riverboat from the other side it would look like his mansion in the movie. This stuff really is not that difficult.
Princess and the Frog is just south of the current setting, and completely in the wrong time period.

njDizFan

Tom Sawyer lived in Missouri during the 1830's. Definately considered the west(west of the mississippi).

But I still don't have a problem with Splash Mountain in frontierland.

David S.

Update:
It has been pointed out to me that the possibility exists that SWSA may remain. In that scenario, the Princi would move to Expo Hall temporarily until a permanent home at Skyway is ready.

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

I know you said it's only a possibility, but thanks for that ray of hope! :)

juan

Splash Mountain is not a perfect fit thematically for Frontierland. Conceptually and Soarin' isn't a great fit for The Land. The thing is, nobody complains about them because they're great attractions.

OK one more. TSI is also a stretch.

Because after all, the only frontier this nation ever knew was the Old West.....:rolleyes:

Liberty Square to Frontierland is meant to be change in location not a change in time period. The Haunted Mansion and Columbia Harbor House are supposed to be from New England. The change in pathway near Diamond Horshoe/Advland restrooms is meant to symbolize the Mississippi River.
Keeping this in mind and comparing it to this picture, the attractions fit roughly in their park locations as they move across the country.
LS-FrtrL-AdvL.jpg

I don't find things that far out of place.:shrug:
I do agree that the location for Splash could be a bit better, but I don't see it as that big of a deal. (I know BTMRR should be a tad closer to Utah)

Skyway

Update:
It has been pointed out to me that the possibility exists that SWSA may remain.

Keep both possibilities in mind.

I gotta admit, I found it odd that SWSA would be used as a "temporary" M&G, with the intent of putting a future ride there later.

SWSA could easily be rethemed as-is with a different franchise. With some new painted sets, new figures, and new vehicles on the existing track, SWSA could easily and cheaply be converted into a marketable new dark ride.

It didn't make sense to dismantle and destroy the dark ride system (unless it was being shipped overseas) and replace it with a temporary M&G, only to install another dark ride later.

(I know Toad was completely gutted to make way for Pooh. But Toad's double track also cut the available floor space for Pooh in half if Pooh had kept the original ride system)

If true that SWSA is staying, I wonder if it is only until there is a need to replace it with a different dark ride? Or is it permanent (with the new Disneyland enhancements on the way)? And will SWSA and the Dwarves Mine have totally different show elements (meaning an eventual replacement of SWSA means those parts of the Snow White story will be gone forever)?

jt04

I have no care for discussing your supposed Armchair Imagineering. You have been a constant advocate of the announced plans.

Only the architecture and the place setting. It's really all that matters to me. Rides are OK but not my interest.

OK, now I really must go!

TP2000

Also the Calico Mine Ride at Knotts Berry Farm and Blazing Fury at Dollywood come to mind.

Hmm... I hadn't thought the Snow White mine coaster might be something on the scale of the Calico Mine Ride at Knott's Berry Farm. Throw in a few drops and fast turns with the Snow White scary mine theme, and you've got a winner!

TP2000

I'm afraid of exactly two things in this world...

Clowns. And carnies.

This doesn't bode well for me.

That's the one thing that bugs me about the Dumboland plans that Lee let us in on. Barnstormer being re-themed to 'clowns'.

Clowns? Gross.

Why not re-theme it as a version of Casey Jr.'s Circus Train? It wouldn't be as long as the Disneyland version, or even the faster Paris version, but it would work thematically. Heck, they already have the song from Dumbo for it and everything. :confused:

Casey%20Jr%2001.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom