What has happened to the place we (used to) love?

jpinkc

I've owned and operated a business for over 30 years (god that makes me feel old LOL) and I get refered to as THE HELP by customers who dont know I own the damn place. I have never felt offended by it. Its just how some people look at people working a job. They call anyone working somewhere The Help. I dont care what job needs to be done, I just try and get it done if everyone else is busy or dealing with something else. You used to see that attitude at WDW from staff. It was how I accidentally met the GM of the Grand Floridian he was picking up trash by the door near GF Cafe and I stopped to help him. Now thats 15 or more years ago, but he was nice enough to come by our table later and thank me and introduce himself. Thats someone who cared and didnt care about the job he was doing, he was doing it because it needed to be done. You dont see alot of that at WDW anymore.

Tbone1723

I've owned and operated a business for over 30 years (god that makes me feel old LOL) and I get refered to as THE HELP by customers who dont know I own the damn place. I have never felt offended by it. Its just how some people look at people working a job. They call anyone working somewhere The Help. I dont care what job needs to be done, I just try and get it done if everyone else is busy or dealing with something else. You used to see that attitude at WDW from staff. It was how I accidentally met the GM of the Grand Floridian he was picking up trash by the door near GF Cafe and I stopped to help him. Now thats 15 or more years ago, but he was nice enough to come by our table later and thank me and introduce himself. Thats someone who cared and didnt care about the job he was doing, he was doing it because it needed to be done. You dont see alot of that at WDW anymore.
A good leader puts himself above no task

peter11435

D.
I rode Splash Mountain first thing in the morning, and there was already an empty water bottle at the bottom of the first lift hill. Ok, whatever… I told the ride attendant when I got off the ride. I rode it again at 9 PM and it was still there.

Not making excuses, but it is very difficult to clean trash in a ride during the middle of an operating day while the ride is in motion. It’s not as simple as sending someone through with a garbage picker, there’s a lot of safety rules at play.
This is very true. While it sucks, there is absolutely no way that water bottle could have been retrieved without shutting the ride the down. If the water bottle was still there the next day now that’s a problem.

Lilofan

Execs picking up trash is nothing new. I met when I was at WDW on NYE a few years ago a cast member cleaning the toilets dressed in his custodial costume. Commented to him thank you for the great job you are doing. The CM advised me he is a finance director at WDW but on NYE he cleans bathrooms to help out on this busy night.

Goofyernmost

Execs picking up trash is nothing new. I met when I was at WDW on NYE a few years ago a cast member cleaning the toilets dressed in his custodial costume. Commented to him thank you for the great job you are doing. The CM advised me he is a finance director at WDW but on NYE he cleans bathrooms to help out on this busy night.
I'm having a problem believing that. I think someone was having a little fun with you.

Smiley/OCD

That is awesome!! I always told my employees I would never ask them to do something I wouldn’t do…imagine Chappie doing that??

bhg469

That is awesome!! I always told my employees I would never ask them to do something I wouldn’t do…imagine Chappie doing that??
I have been working for an international building company for a year now. The division I'm in manufactures concrete, concrete block, asphalt and has a large sand mine off of I4. All the VPs have nice offices and a corner where they keep their steel toes and hard hats. They're often on job sites where we are pouring concrete at 4 in the morning. I'm just an IT guy so I'm less in the mix than them but it is pretty cool to see these guy in high positions getting in the dirt.

Goofyernmost

Nice try on an assumption.
A guess, not an assumption, but even you would have to think that the idea that a Finance Director at WDW making possibly millions per year wouldn't have found another place to "help out" then cleaning bathrooms. You appear to be a very trusting person and that is a good thing, but trusting people get pranked now and then. I don't believe that the person that told you that was a Finance Director. I do believe that is what they told you,

Lilofan

A guess, not an assumption, but even you would have to think that the idea that a Finance Director at WDW making possibly millions per year wouldn't have found another place to "help out" then cleaning bathrooms. You appear to be a very trusting person and that is a good thing, but trusting people get pranked now and then. I don't believe that the person that told you that was a Finance Director. I do believe that is what they told you,
I don’t believe in fantasy like you do. He was sincere and I commented him doing a great job. A finance director making millions of dollars a year? On what planet ?

Goofyernmost

I don’t believe in fantasy like you do. He was sincere and I commented him doing a great job. A finance director making millions of dollars a year? On what planet ?
Talk about fantasy... in the world of Disney a person that is in a position like a finance director for a company the size of Disney would easily pull down that or close to it. That is reality. Thinking a Finance Director for WDW would spend his spare time cleaning bathrooms is the fantasy.

I am OK with you thinking it was true so I will end my part of the trivial discussion.

Lilofan

Talk about fantasy... in the world of Disney a person that is in a position like a finance director for a company the size of Disney would easily pull down that or close to it. That is reality. Thinking a Finance Director for WDW would spend his spare time cleaning bathrooms is the fantasy.
You have an imaginative mind and wild theories. Also Google Brad Rex, former exec at WDW. Look up which Ops he loved to spend time working with the cast.

Br0ckford

Title of the thread--what happened to the place we love?
Comments---it's rude to call employees the help, no its not, yes it is
Execs clean the toilets--no they don't, yes they do

The answer is
download.jpeg-1.jpg

CAV

Retail is like the good old days for me. One of my first jobs was a cashier at K Mart making $3.35 per hour.
I worked at K Mart in the 80's in while in high school. $3.65 an hour. Due to "Blue Laws," retail was closed on Sundays. However, we would meet the manager at the store a 8:00am. We would get a list of things to do. The manager would lock us in the store, and come let us out again at 8:00pm. We got paid time and a half. We would make $65 in one day and we that that was a King's ransom! I make that now in less than an hour.

Minnesota disney fan

I can and will give Disney a hard time for the first points, but your last point is the biggest problem of all. Many people NO LONGER CARE what they do or where they throw things. It's disrespectful and disgusting how far modern values have fallen for at least a certain percentage of the population. If I had thrown garbage somewhere other than a garbage can, I would have had to pick it up and I likely would not have seen the park the rest of the day. Our kids were taught the same - garbage belongs in the garbage can, not wherever you feel like leaving it.
I agree with that. However, I think it's human nature to Not take care (with trash) of stuff if the area they are in (WDWparks) are not kept clean. If you look around and there is trash everywhere and no one picking it up like there used to be, some people figure who cares! So they don't either. If a place is kept clean and orderly, then people tend to keep it that way. So, I think that's part of the blame.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom