What has happened to the place we (used to) love?

surfsupdon

To expand upon my Resort comment and cheapening of their Resorts so they don’t feel special, the early years of Caribbean Beach had a food court and restaurant with names like Montego’s Deli, Kingston Wok Shop, Bridgetown Broiler, and Captain’s Tavern. You know, using real Caribbean names. Menu fonts and styles incorporated the adventure of the Caribbean and reinforced another time and place.

CBR now feels like a Disney resort, with Little Mermaid characters invading menus, restaurant names, and at one point, the themed elements of Guest Rooms. It just felt cheap and forced, not nearly as exotic as it’s early years.

To me, the disneyification of moderate and deluxe resorts was the initial start to where we are today- building lands based off a single IP. Yes I have continued my Disney trips, probably based off of nostalgia (which is dangerous), but these trips continue to land further apart.

With the exception of weather. The frequency of lightning at WDW in the summer is a problem, but obviously that's not Disney's fault.

You're right. I once held an outdoor estate sale in Miami and it rained for an hour and sellable items got wet and customers left

It wasn't my fault; I can't control the weather.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Can we cap the number of repetitive crying/whining/gnashing of teeth threads?

How about an “Ex-Disneygoers” thread in the Chit-Chat subforum to contain the “misery” crew?
Well, you could self-sort and just not read the threads you might expect contain "misery"...

Remember that some people come here looking for reports of misfortune and tales of tribulation so they can avoid those circumstances when they arrive on their own visits.

seabreezept813

We were in the parks in August and they were super clean. What we did notice: lack of housekeeping (ugh), Rock and Roller Coaster was a big yikes-sound off, lights not right, and the most concerning part was I asked if someone would push down on my lock device and they said sure once you take the corner, and no one did, and Splash was worse each time we rode it, sadly abandoned. However, overall cleanliness was excellent. We even had a janitor give my kiddos stickers and tell them to throw the trash down for him to pick up to keep him busy (very Miracle on 34th Street moment).

Beacon Joe

What has happened to the place we (used to) love?​

Simple answer:

The last vestiges of a family run business with a customer-centric vision and mission have disappeared and been replaced with a giant, soulless, greedy, shameless corporation that lives for quarterly profits and executive bonuses.

This site really needs to add a "100" reaction option.

100.png

Beacon Joe

The Disneyification of everything has cheapened the overall feel of the Resorts. You cannot be transported to another location or time period with the constant IPification at Resorts. They do not feel as special any longer, they feel cheaper, like they are being downgraded to All Star style (which WAS the all stars purpose- in your face). I do not have a problem with the Values, I stay at Pop often. But I have a problem with Deluxes being infused with value style in your face themeing. My opinion.

Every time I see an image or footage of what they did with the Contemporary and Polynesian rooms, I can't help but laugh. It's a mournful laugh, but still a deep belly laugh.

Minnesota disney fan

Well, you could self-sort and just not read the threads you might expect contain "misery"...

Remember that some people come here looking for reports of misfortune and tales of tribulation so they can avoid those circumstances when they arrive on their own visits.
I agree. If someone doesn't like what is posted on a discussion board, then they are free to not read it or change to another thread. No need to whine about it, just move on to something you like. It's simple.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
With regard to park upkeep, I feel like it's a combination of factors, including:
  • a reduced focus on maintenance
  • a loss of institutional knowledge regarding attraction-specific maintenance during the pandemic
  • difficulty fully staffing the maintenance team
  • dealing with a clientele that is increasingly less respectful of their surroundings

I can and will give Disney a hard time for the first points, but your last point is the biggest problem of all. Many people NO LONGER CARE what they do or where they throw things. It's disrespectful and disgusting how far modern values have fallen for at least a certain percentage of the population. If I had thrown garbage somewhere other than a garbage can, I would have had to pick it up and I likely would not have seen the park the rest of the day. Our kids were taught the same - garbage belongs in the garbage can, not wherever you feel like leaving it.

Goofyernmost

Referring to cast members as " their help " strikes a tone from the turbulent 1950/60s in the deep South.
Not really unless you want to interpret it that way. There is nothing even close to suggesting what you are implying by "their help". That is a very often used to indicate staffing even up north. Believe me almost all business owners would happily do it themselves without having to hire people to help if they could. A perfectly innocent phrase that doesn't have any demeaning or "deep south" intent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom