What has happened to the place we (used to) love?

Smiley/OCD

"Awesome" it is not stupid it would be.

You do realise if he was cleaning a restroom for 30 mins it would cost Disney $7810 based on his salary! If he did custodial for a day they may as well not both cleaning the bogs and just demolish the lot and build new ones as as it would be cheaper.
Yea, and he could be standing outside the restroom “supervising” or making small talk instead. Please, there’s absolutely NOTHING WRONG with doing a little dirty work. If more executives did that, it would boost worker morale immensely. CM morale and guest OPTICS…as important as almost any other aspect of the gig…maybe you’re an executive and don’t want to “lower” yourself??

Lilofan

Yea, and he could be standing outside the restroom “supervising” or making small talk instead. Please, there’s absolutely NOTHING WRONG with doing a little dirty work. If more executives did that, it would boost worker morale immensely. CM morale and guest OPTICS…as important as almost any other aspect of the gig…maybe you’re an executive and don’t want to “lower” yourself??
I've noticed the cast in business attire walk in the park with those picker things. I've seen them pick up trash with their picker a number of times. Surely helps trying to keep the place cleaner.

Obobru

I've noticed the cast in business attire walk in the park with those picker things. I've seen them pick up trash with their picker a number of times. Surely helps trying to keep the place cleaner.
It's management theatre, making it look to to people like they are one of the team. A good manager would ensure enough staff are available to do that job not walk around with a litter picker looking like they are doing something. It's typical of Disney's poor management style, all style no substance

James Alucobond

You do realise if he was cleaning a restroom for 30 mins it would cost Disney $7810 based on his salary! If he did custodial for a day they may as well not both cleaning the bogs and just demolish the lot and build new ones as as it would be cheaper.
It's management theatre, making it look to to people like they are one of the team. A good manager would ensure enough staff are available to do that job not walk around with a litter picker looking like they are doing something. It's typical of Disney's poor management style, all style no substance
An executive is paid his or her salary whether making important decisions, deleting e-mails, cleaning, or playing Candy Crush. At any rate, anywhere that I've worked, this is typically not designed as management theater to boost morale. Instead, its goal is to engender empathy amongst the management team and give them genuine exposure to the problems their employees encounter on a daily basis. Sometimes, it's a regularly scheduled activity while other times it's specially organized by a research team to expose managers to a very specific problem space. It's not terribly different from going on walk-alongs, ride-alongs, or call listening sessions to hear what your customers are saying and observe how your employees are managing customer service interactions.

MagicHappens1971

How many cast members are on shift at a given time is not at the sole discretion of local leadership. They don’t even write the schedules

Lilofan

Enough staff? is available, maybe in a fantasy world, not real world.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Irrelevant. His salary is a sunk cost -- he costs them that much per hour whether he's monetizing the toilets or scrubbing them. If nobody else is available to scrub toilets, he's just as good as Charlie Castmember.

Better, in fact, because if he's scrubbing toilets, he's not ruining some other aspect of the parks.

DonniePeverley

We have a new CEO.

From past historical experiences a new vulnerable CEO is not going to invest in theme parks. He will go down the route of the more sexy movie division. His mandate is to create profits for shareholders.

Vegas Disney Fan

I don't really buy this. One of Walt's key insights is that the state of the park determines guest behavior - a clean park will encourage guests to keep it that way, while a less clean park will encourage guests to litter. That still holds true. In general, every generation has bemoaned the falling standards of the ones that followed, and they've always been much more wrong then right when doing so. Today's guests are not inherently less sloppy or less respectful then those in the 80s. The state of the park signals that respect is no longer expected.

I think guest ownership also comes into play, when you feel the parks are your second home you treat them like your home, I’ve picked up tons of trash as a guest, not because I was paid to do it but because I hate seeing trash in “my” park. Disney doesn’t want people who “own“ the parks anymore though, they want the once in a lifetime visitor who doesn’t care about the parks but spends more per visit, if they trash the park in the process that’s just the price you pay for a higher yield.

I started going to Disney regularly back in 2007 with my girlfriend (now wife) and her family. They had/have DVC we pretty much are there at least once per year. I remember joining this forum shortly after that (I guess 2008) and reading people talking about how the place was falling apart and losing the magic. Cheapening out on meals, new rides not being up to the standards of the old ones, Florida getting the worse version of everything, relying on IP rather than creating original ideas, less clean, less friendly, etc. As time went by, I started to see many of those very same things, however, I tended to think they were still a bit overblown considering that Disney was still providing an overall top notch experience.

I often wonder how much “rose colored glasses” comes into play with the parks, when we first went to the parks we were so focused on the castle and facades we never looked down so it was easy to not notice things like trash in the trees, after you’ve been a few dozens times and aren’t so focused on the spectacle you start to look around more and notice the bad things you previously overlooked.

This may also be why Disney is pushing away return visitors, they want the new guests who don’t notice the negatives, it’s the return visitors who hold them to a higher standard.

I joined about a decade ago and remember thinking how miserable all the old timers were, a decade later and I’ve become one of them, all the same issues probably existed then (to some degree), I just didn’t notice them because I was still awestruck by the newness of it all.

wutisgood

ONLY because prices of resort rooms and food are insane and ppl are paying them. I’m happy to report we saw VERY few ppl last week stupid enough to buy the crappy merch Disney spits out.
I am convinced most people are buying many of these things to resell and ignoring merch if there is no money to be made. So much of it is just not enticing people to make impulse buys for themselves. People just don't wait hours in like for a popcorn bucket or swarm new merch because they are excited to buy for themselves. They so because it's a job.

Look further than the souvenir ice cream cups or souvenir drinks at Disney. These are priced way far beyond what normal souvenir premiums are because people resell Disney things and not say a baseball stadium souvenir cup.

some other guy

that stupid reservation junk for everything
I'm pretty sure I can hustle a few free one-day passes each year through my job and honestly I don't even want to bother if it means I have to register wherever I'm going or whatever

Smiley/OCD

I am convinced most people are buying many of these things to resell and ignoring merch if there is no money to be made. So much of it is just not enticing people to make impulse buys for themselves. People just don't wait hours in like for a popcorn bucket or swarm new merch because they are excited to buy for themselves. They so because it's a job.

Look further than the souvenir ice cream cups or souvenir drinks at Disney. These are priced way far beyond what normal souvenir premiums are because people resell Disney things and not say a baseball stadium souvenir cup.
Would I stand in a 2 hour line for a popcorn bucket? Nope, but I understand things that people collect…back in the day, I’ve waited 2 hours in line for Hess trucks on thanksgiving morning!
We used to have a Disney outlet store near us and I’ve seen people buy way more than they needed obviously to resell. Just institute limits and that will lighten up.

Cmdr_Crimson

It's an Ex-Theme Park...
monty-python-dead-parrot.gif

GimpYancIent

There is a simple word that describes why people enjoyed / loved going to Disney properties "EXPERIENCE". The visitors / guests / tourists would enjoy themselves and have such a wonderful "EXPERIENCE" they would want to keep coming back and bring family + friends to also enjoy the "EXPERIENCE". The "EXPERIENCE" is an intangible something that current management does not understand and do not care about in the constant quest to make money. Cheapen the quality of services, hike up prices and throw in some merch does not equate to the established standard for a Disney "EXPERIENCE". Of course, current management is too arrogant, self-serving and greedy to care but rather double down to show who is in charge. Oh well, it is slow but as the "EXPERIENCE" fades away and more people become disenchanted, in time, the bottom line will reflect the truth. Right now, the hardest thing is to accept that the "EXPERIENCE" is not what it was and it's not coming back soon.

Br0ckford

There is a simple word that describes why people enjoyed / loved going to Disney properties "EXPERIENCE". The visitors / guests / tourists would enjoy themselves and have such a wonderful "EXPERIENCE" they would want to keep coming back and bring family + friends to also enjoy the "EXPERIENCE". The "EXPERIENCE" is an intangible something that current management does not understand and do not care about in the constant quest to make money. Cheapen the quality of services, hike up prices and throw in some merch does not equate to the established standard for a Disney "EXPERIENCE". Of course, current management is too arrogant, self-serving and greedy to care but rather double down to show who is in charge. Oh well, it is slow but as the "EXPERIENCE" fades away and more people become disenchanted, in time, the bottom line will reflect the truth. Right now, the hardest thing is to accept that the "EXPERIENCE" is not what it was and it's not coming back soon.
I think the term you're looking for is Fun and Wonder(TM) 😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom