What has happened to the place we (used to) love?

Goofyernmost

When MCO had several thousand or what looked like more fellow guests lined up at 4am recently , me included going through TSA , a number of them decked out in WDW shirts and hats, plenty of ones sucking that cows milk as described. I just made my 6am flight. Seems like that cow has plenty of milk to suck on. The long awaited Terminal C at MCO is open for business for more travelers to enjoy Orlando and WDW!
I saw a video of Terminal C at MCO this week and it was absolutely empty. 4 people in the entire place. Where are all the people going to be going to in Orlando that would require an additional terminal (that is bigger then most total city terminals) to be needed. Yes, it is still crowded in the rest of them, but that one looks like something that really wasn't needed.

Lilofan

I saw a video of Terminal C at MCO this week and it was absolutely empty. 4 people in the entire place. Where are all the people going to be going to in Orlando that would require an additional terminal (that is bigger then most total city terminals) to be needed. Yes, it is still crowded in the rest of them, but that one looks like something that really wasn't needed.
Are you aware that C is mainly for international passengers. MCO would not have built a multi million dollar addition to sit empty.

Prince-1

Do you think they spent the amount of money they did on the new terminal for no reason??? Maybe they might know just a little more about their numbers then you do.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
I arrived at Terminal C this weekend on an international flight. The place was very empty because not many flights are using it yet. I heard that next week JetBlue will start using it, so it will become a lot busier.

When we left from Terminal C two weeks ago most of the restaurants and shops were still under construction.

Goofyernmost

Are you aware that C is mainly for international passengers. MCO would not have built a multi million dollar addition to sit empty.
The video I saw, they had parked in the parking garage (C) and went through the terminal to get the train to the regular terminal. That didn't stop the place from being open and empty. So they either haven't started to direct those international flights in and out of C or it was built on speculation. I don't really know, I'm just telling you what the video was filming.

Goofyernmost

Do you think they spent the amount of money they did on the new terminal for no reason??? Maybe they might know just a little more about their numbers then you do.
What do I know. What I saw on the video was a huge terminal that was currently open and was empty. They must be expecting a huge migration either into Orlando or out of it. Whatever, the case, it hasn't happened yet. What's with the defensiveness about a freaking airport terminal, do you guys own it? Many large amounts of money have been invested from time to time only to not be needed. That probably isn't the case here, but unless it is a terminal for international invisible people it hasn't happened to any successful degree yet.

Andrew25

You have to slowly integrate the terminal into normal operations, not just open it overnight when its done being built.

The new parking garage adjacent to it is already reaching capacity, and with Brightline coming online next year it should get busier.

Prince-1

What do I know. What I saw on the video was a huge terminal that was currently open and was empty. They must be expecting a huge migration either into Orlando or out of it. Whatever, the case, it hasn't happened yet. What's with the defensiveness about a freaking airport terminal, do you guys own it? Many large amounts of money have been invested from time to time only to not be needed. That probably isn't the case here, but unless it is a terminal for international invisible people it hasn't happened to any successful degree yet.

No one is being defensive. You made a comment and we responded to it. This is how this whole website operates: people say something and other people respond. And are you making an assumption on how busy it is based on one video you saw?? I mean it literarily just opened about a month ago. Makes sense to me! ;)

Last edited:

Lilofan

I arrived at Terminal C this weekend on an international flight. The place was very empty because not many flights are using it yet. I heard that next week JetBlue will start using it, so it will become a lot busier.

When we left from Terminal C two weeks ago most of the restaurants and shops were still under construction.
Nothing like working till the last minute or beyond. Years ago when Star Tours reopened at DHS, we rode and workers were still installing parts of the nearby walls in the hallway.

Animaniac93-98

I spent about 12 hours on WDW property last month, visiting Disney Springs, Grand Floridian and MK. I did about everything I wanted to without having to stay on site or visiting for multiple days. Something I used to do but don't anymore. Highlights of the trip included having dinner at CRT and walking from GF to MK, unironically my favourite of the recent additions to the resort.

But spending more time in MK made it clear that this park is running on autopilot and nobody, not even WDI, cares about this place. Disney's disrespect, ambivalence and overall laziness in caring for the park has been a mixed blessing. On one hand, older attractions like the Treehouse, Tom Sawyer Island and Carousel of Progress miraculously still exist in some form, but across the board show quality on the legacy attractions is poor, pretty awful in some cases. Space Mountain is more of a museum piece than a headliner at this point, Peter Pan looks like its going to fall apart and I don't think Big Thunder has more than a handful of effects working anymore. Adding Coco and new projectors to PhilharMagic makes the movie look both better and worse as the razor sharp image highlights how dated the 2003-era CGI is. They need to do to this what Universal did to Spider-Man several years ago, but you know they won't because they don't care. They same reason they won't bring back a night parade and charge people a premium to sit in an empty Diamond Horseshoe.

As someone who's personal brand on this site could be summed up as "MK was good, actually...", it's frustrating to see Disney try and repackage and upcharge the existing experience instead of actually fixing up the place and improving day-to-day operations. MK desperately needs to get the kind of love DLP has had for the last several years, but it won't. Imagine if the hundreds of millions spent on TRON went into refurbishing rides elsewhere...

J4546

Genie+ and canceling Magic Express is happening for a reason.

The Walt Disney Company is in a lot of debt. As of June of this year, the Walt Disney Company is over 46 billion dollars in debt. When January of 2024 comes, the Walt Disney Company will get its debt increase by 8.8 billion dollars. What is happened is 2 things. Disney in January of 2024 is forced to buy Comcasts 33 percent stake in Hulu and that costs 8.8 billion dollars.

The 46 billion dollar debt currently is caused by Bob Iger bought Fox. Remember Disney bought Fox for over 71 billion dollars. Disney paid that much after Comcast drove up the price. Iger's ego had Disney give an offer of over 71 billion dollars. What Iger did is set Disney poorly if a pandemic happen from a money standpoint with the company force to borrow money.

To my understanding Disney has not made money on Fox yet. There is movie stuff coming up from the Fox IP standpoint such as the X-Men and Deadpool Movie rights.

The debt has a lot to do with the theme parks due to Covid. Remember Disney had to borrow money in 2020 due to Covid.

Covid forced a lot of Disney's revenues to shutdown in 2020 and Disney had to cut stuff from a theme park construction standpoint. I said revenues because of Disney Cruise line was shutdown in 2020, the movie theaters were closed down for most of 2020, and we all know about the Disney theme parks worldwide.

Disney is very money hungry with the parks and resort division with them seeing the parks being the easiest and quickest way to pay off the debt. The answer is cut expenses for the parks and raise more money for the parks. The theme park customers have to pay Iger's mess that has Disney in a lot of debt. The consumers choice right now is either not going to the parks or be willing to spend more for less for your mone
yeah buying fox cost a ton of money but eventually it will pay off imo

CaptainAmerica

I spent about 12 hours on WDW property last month, visiting Disney Springs, Grand Floridian and MK. I did about everything I wanted to without having to stay on site or visiting for multiple days. Something I used to do but don't anymore. Highlights of the trip included having dinner at CRT and walking from GF to MK, unironically my favourite of the recent additions to the resort.

But spending more time in MK made it clear that this park is running on autopilot and nobody, not even WDI, cares about this place. Disney's disrespect, ambivalence and overall laziness in caring for the park has been a mixed blessing. On one hand, older attractions like the Treehouse, Tom Sawyer Island and Carousel of Progress miraculously still exist in some form, but across the board show quality on the legacy attractions is poor, pretty awful in some cases. Space Mountain is more of a museum piece than a headliner at this point, Peter Pan looks like its going to fall apart and I don't think Big Thunder has more than a handful of effects working anymore. Adding Coco and new projectors to PhilharMagic makes the movie look both better and worse as the razor sharp image highlights how dated the 2003-era CGI is. They need to do to this what Universal did to Spider-Man several years ago, but you know they won't because they don't care. They same reason they won't bring back a night parade and charge people a premium to sit in an empty Diamond Horseshoe.

As someone who's personal brand on this site could be summed up as "MK was good, actually...", it's frustrating to see Disney try and repackage and upcharge the existing experience instead of actually fixing up the place and improving day-to-day operations. MK desperately needs to get the kind of love DLP has had for the last several years, but it won't. Imagine if the hundreds of millions spent on TRON went into refurbishing rides elsewhere...
You're mixing a lot of different ideas here. Things like creative direction, park operations, maintenance, etc. are not the same thing and are often in tension with one another. For example, you could argue that Magic Kingdom needs a nighttime parade creatively speaking. But I would argue that a nighttime parade in Magic Kingdom is a disaster from a park ops perspective.

That said, I think it's certainly true that the company doesn't see Magic Kingdom as a priority right now. It was last a priority when they built New Fantasyland. Then Animal Kingdom was the priority, and they built Pandora. Then Studios was the priority, and they built Toy Story and Star wars. Then Epcot was the priority and they basically announced a relaunch of half the park only to get kicked in the shorts by COVID.

Goofyernmost

No one is being defensive. You made a comment and we responded to it. This is how this whole website operates: people say something and other people respond. And are you making an assumption on how busy it is based on one video you saw?? I mean it literarily just opened about a month ago. Makes sense to me! ;)
No, what I got was sarcasm. "They wouldn't build if if they didn't have a need". Any other response might have worked. Statements like "well, you realize that it takes time to move the international flight operations from where they currently are to the new terminal" or "add more people to man the areas that sometimes doubled as domestic or international". Since I have been doing this stuff since 2003 I probably know how discussion boards work. I had no intention of discussing it any further then just stating that the video showed an almost completely empty terminal. Why I didn't know, nor did I know how long it had been open. So lets just move on before I actually start to lose sleep about it. :) I live 600 miles from Orlando, I'm fairly sure that I haven't kept up with the building situations at MCO. At the time empty was empty, the reasons for that I had no reason to know, but it looked dead from the perspective of the video.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
yeah buying fox cost a ton of money but eventually it will pay off imo

Iger bought Fox mainly for D+ content. Just as soon as they start making billions every year off of Disney+ (after paying for content costs, of course), they'll be able to start paying it off. If they can net a paltry $5 billion per year from D+ above and beyond content and other profit margins that must be sought, the Fox acquisition will be paid off in just over a decade. Sounds like a solid business plan to me!

Lilofan

No, what I got was sarcasm. "They wouldn't build if if they didn't have a need". Any other response might have worked. Statements like "well, you realize that it takes time to move the international flight operations from where they currently are to the new terminal" or "add more people to man the areas that sometimes doubled as domestic or international". Since I have been doing this stuff since 2003 I probably know how discussion boards work. I had no intention of discussing it any further then just stating that the video showed an almost completely empty terminal. Why I didn't know, nor did I know how long it had been open. So lets just move on before I actually start to lose sleep about it. :) I live 600 miles from Orlando, I'm fairly sure that I haven't kept up with the building situations at MCO. At the time empty was empty, the reasons for that I had no reason to know, but it looked dead from the perspective of the video.
Your opinion is " something that was not really needed " in regards to Terminal C is your opinion. I strongly disagree with that. MCO knows that Terminal will be successful along with A and B.

Prince-1

Your opinion is " something that was not really needed " in regards to Terminal C is your opinion. I strongly disagree with that. MCO knows that Terminal will be successful along with A and B.

Well to be fair, he did watch one whole video and was able to determine that it was not needed based on that one whole video. I mean that’s pretty much all I need to know that Orlando just wasted a whole crap load of cash.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom