What do "you" want for Epcot's 25th?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
jedimaster1227 said:
I don't think there is any more room for another country, unless they used the space where the Millenium Village is...

C`mon, Jedi - you know better than that. Do a thread search!

MKCP 1985

Put me in the group who would like to see some EPCOT parade for the 25th. Ideally, the parade would celebrate the park's countries and Future World pavilions.

That wand isn't coming down. :lol:

MissK

MKCP 1985 said:
That wand isn't coming down. :lol:

I tried searching for an answer but didn't get a hit so I'm hoping it would be alright to ask here: WHY did they put the wand up in the first place? Were they afraid people wouldn't know it was EPCOT or something? :lookaroun

As for me, I'd love for another world to be added to world showcase but I've never even BEEN to Epcot so I guess I should visit before I say that huh? :p

jedimaster1227

marni1971 said:
C`mon, Jedi - you know better than that. Do a thread search!

I swear, in my time on this forum, I have never heard that before! I figured it was speculation or a odd piece of information that couldn't be confirmed. Sorry to doubt you on that one Mark! :wave:

his_girl96

1) I think they should have people submit pictures they took on vacation during the first year it opened. Maybe incorporate it into a video presentation somewhere in Innoventions. The video can include pictures during contruction, opening day and then people's vacation pictures.

2) I think the stones in the front was a good idea in theory, but it really doesn't work. I think it takes away from the entrance. I don't think pavers is a good idea, since they have those at the Magic Kingdom. You need something more futuristic. Maybe they could incorporate it into an exhibit at the bottom of Spaceship Earth. (Which was still empty as of last October.) Maybe some kind of map of the world with the picture holograms floating above, based on where the person lives. I don't know, but something better than the stones.

3) Either paint or re-decorate the tops of Innoventions. When you ride in on the monorail during the day, it is sooooo boring to look at the tops of the buildings. Disney needs to grab people's attention! Not, "Hey, look at the roofs of our buildings."

4) New cars for Spaceship Earth. Ones that don't kill your back, and have speakers that work. Whatever they do, don't get rid of the smoke smell when Rome is burning. They already took the oranges away when they got rid of Horizons.

5) I think they should move the FASTPASS outside The Land for Soarin'. I don't know if it has gotten any better, but it was almost impossible to get off the escalator last year. It was so packed full of people. And then by the time you got over there, the wait was 70 minutes. If that what it was like in October, I can't imagine the chaos during peak season. I think having the FASTPASS outside would alleviate some of the congestion.

6) Disney should invest more money in the countries, instead of waiting for the countries to foot the bill. I think that is the only way any kind of improvements will be made. Update the videos. The whole purpose it to make people want to visit that country, not wonder why they are still dressed in clothes from the 80s. Add at least 1 other country. I think every country should have either a ride or a video. Just so you can learn a little about it. For example, in Italy, all you can do is walk through the shops or eat at the restaurant. That doesn't really give me a feel for the Italian culture. I learned more by watching the Winter Olympics. I also think Disney should get more involved with the running of the restaurants. We have had terrible experiences in Canada and Japan. The food was very good, but the service was terrible.

7) I am very torn on the Illuminations issue. It is my favorite fireworks show in WDW. But I agree with another member that I can tell you when each firework is supposed to go off. I just fear it being updated and ruined.

8) When EPCOT first opened, wasn't there a boat show in the lagoon during the day? Or am I just imagining things? I think it is hard to do a parade around World Showcase, because the walkway is narrow compared to other parks. So why not do some kind of show on the water?

9) Something needs to replace Wonders of Life, if they are not going to re-open it. EPCOT really needs another pavillion. Especially since Imagination takes a whole 5 minutes to ride/walk through. (But that's another topic). I think something should still be done on the lines of the human body, health care, exercise, etc. But again, it needs to be futuristic.

10) Imagination needs to be updated. If they want to keep the Institute theme, that is fine with me. But do more with it. There needs to be more "experiments." It just seems like the ride is over before it begins. Isn't Disney supposed to be famous for Imagineering?? Then use that. I can only take so much skunk and train noise.

11) I think the wand should go. I like the sparkling lights on the top of the globe. It is cool when you are driving up to the park at night. But the wand just doesn't go with the theme of the park.

12) In each country, they should have a place where you can dress up in the native garb and have a picture taken. It can be incorporated into the Photo Pass system. I think that would be something really great for families to do.

13) In every country, set up a booth to get travel information. (Not every country has this now.) "You liked the food at U.K.? Well this is how you get the real stuff." Have each country's Tourism Board give people information on flights, attractions, tours, dining, etc. Maybe the countries will spend more money on pavillions if they see people actually being influenced by what they experience.

jedimaster1227

his_girl96 said:
1) I think they should have people submit pictures they took on vacation during the first year it opened. Maybe incorporate it into a video presentation somewhere in Innoventions. The video can include pictures during contruction, opening day and then people's vacation pictures.

2) I think the stones in the front was a good idea in theory, but it really doesn't work. I think it takes away from the entrance. I don't think pavers is a good idea, since they have those at the Magic Kingdom. You need something more futuristic. Maybe they could incorporate it into an exhibit at the bottom of Spaceship Earth. (Which was still empty as of last October.) Maybe some kind of map of the world with the picture holograms floating above, based on where the person lives. I don't know, but something better than the stones.

3) Either paint or re-decorate the tops of Innoventions. When you ride in on the monorail during the day, it is sooooo boring to look at the tops of the buildings. Disney needs to grab people's attention! Not, "Hey, look at the roofs of our buildings."

4) New cars for Spaceship Earth. Ones that don't kill your back, and have speakers that work. Whatever they do, don't get rid of the smoke smell when Rome is burning. They already took the oranges away when they got rid of Horizons.

5) I think they should move the FASTPASS outside The Land for Soarin'. I don't know if it has gotten any better, but it was almost impossible to get off the escalator last year. It was so packed full of people. And then by the time you got over there, the wait was 70 minutes. If that what it was like in October, I can't imagine the chaos during peak season. I think having the FASTPASS outside would alleviate some of the congestion.

6) Disney should invest more money in the countries, instead of waiting for the countries to foot the bill. I think that is the only way any kind of improvements will be made. Update the videos. The whole purpose it to make people want to visit that country, not wonder why they are still dressed in clothes from the 80s. Add at least 1 other country. I think every country should have either a ride or a video. Just so you can learn a little about it. For example, in Italy, all you can do is walk through the shops or eat at the restaurant. That doesn't really give me a feel for the Italian culture. I learned more by watching the Winter Olympics. I also think Disney should get more involved with the running of the restaurants. We have had terrible experiences in Canada and Japan. The food was very good, but the service was terrible.

7) I am very torn on the Illuminations issue. It is my favorite fireworks show in WDW. But I agree with another member that I can tell you when each firework is supposed to go off. I just fear it being updated and ruined.

8) When EPCOT first opened, wasn't there a boat show in the lagoon during the day? Or am I just imagining things? I think it is hard to do a parade around World Showcase, because the walkway is narrow compared to other parks. So why not do some kind of show on the water?

9) Something needs to replace Wonders of Life, if they are not going to re-open it. EPCOT really needs another pavillion. Especially since Imagination takes a whole 5 minutes to ride/walk through. (But that's another topic). I think something should still be done on the lines of the human body, health care, exercise, etc. But again, it needs to be futuristic.

10) Imagination needs to be updated. If they want to keep the Institute theme, that is fine with me. But do more with it. There needs to be more "experiments." It just seems like the ride is over before it begins. Isn't Disney supposed to be famous for Imagineering?? Then use that. I can only take so much skunk and train noise.

11) I think the wand should go. I like the sparkling lights on the top of the globe. It is cool when you are driving up to the park at night. But the wand just doesn't go with the theme of the park.

12) In each country, they should have a place where you can dress up in the native garb and have a picture taken. It can be incorporated into the Photo Pass system. I think that would be something really great for families to do.

13) In every country, set up a booth to get travel information. (Not every country has this now.) "You liked the food at U.K.? Well this is how you get the real stuff." Have each country's Tourism Board give people information on flights, attractions, tours, dining, etc. Maybe the countries will spend more money on pavillions if they see people actually being influenced by what they experience.

:eek: Wow! You really hit the nail on the head there! Great job! Disney should hire you as a consultant! And I am serious here! :D

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
his_girl96 said:
8) When EPCOT first opened, wasn't there a boat show in the lagoon during the day? Or am I just imagining things? I think it is hard to do a parade around World Showcase, because the walkway is narrow compared to other parks..

There was a large daytime show, Surprise in the Skies, that ran in the `90s - when Disney were getting into daytime fireworks.

The Showcase prom was designed for parades from the start (Indeed "There`s No Place Like World Showcase" ran in late 1982 soon after opening) but I`d say a 1979 parade and todays parades differ just a bit in size & scope.

That was one heck of a well thought out answer, BTW! Just please take the blobs of the Geosphere when the wand goes :D

CrashNet

marni1971 said:
Yep - Morocco was unlit from IllumiNations on (when the countries were featured in the night time show) for religeous reasons. Norway, however, wasn`t lit since it was still under construction when GE installed the pavilion lighting in 1987 for IllumiNations opening in January 1988. Norway opened 4 months later, and the lighting wasn`t installed (more probably due to the fact the whole segment of the show would need reprogramming and scoring)
Thats right! I forgot Norway was still under construction when they added the pavilion lighting. Thanks for clearing that up marni1971. Still, I would have to say the would never add it for symmetry sake, but you never know.

jedimaster1227

I really just want to see something commemorating Epcot's first 25 years. My best guess would be that Disney opens up the Millenium Village with an exhibit in there or they open up the upstairs of Imagination and have the Dreamfinder tell guests about EPCOT Center's history. I am hoping for the later...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
cac2889 said:
Thats right! I forgot Norway was still under construction when they added the pavilion lighting. Thanks for clearing that up marni1971. Still, I would have to say the would never add it for symmetry sake, but you never know.

If it was for Symmetry, wouldn`t it be either Italy or the UK that was unlit? Imagine - the Rose and Crown stays dark. I thought we`d reformed opening hours (you have to be a Brit to get that)

This question popped up a while ago, so I emailed guest relations to confirm it. Geeky or what!!

CrashNet

marni1971 said:
If it was for Symmetry, wouldn`t it be either Italy or the UK that was unlit? Imagine - the Rose and Crown stays dark. I thought we`d reformed opening hours (you have to be a Brit to get that)

This question popped up a while ago, so I emailed guest relations to confirm it. Geeky or what!!
Well, its more of numerical symmetry than physical symmetry. That's why I said I couldn't really see them ever adding lighting to Norway because it would look strange with just one venue missing. Two makes it look like it was more on purpose than just broken effects. But thats just me. :)

Ariellen

jedimaster1227 said:
Now I am really confused...:confused::lookaroun:confused:

It's not that Morocco and Norway are in the 'same' position on either side of the lagoon, but it looks better and more symmetrical if 2 pavilions are un-lit rather than just one. As long as they aren't next to each other.

jedimaster1227

Ariellen said:
It's not that Morocco and Norway are in the 'same' position on either side of the lagoon, but it looks better and more symmetrical if 2 pavilions are un-lit rather than just one. As long as they aren't next to each other.

No longer confused, thanks! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom