What do you think of the EPCOT Central Spine redesign?

smile

Yes. But Disney never posted it anywhere. Only exhibited it at the convention. And when they did show it they accompanied it with a disclaimer.

thanks... but yes, i know.
and of course it was - so it couldn't be held to.
doesn't invalidate my particular observation, however.

Bocabear

Have they actually released anything other than the highly stylized view that we have all seen? That art is so patently vague you can't really tell what they are doing besides tearing everything down and building a lot of small things in strange shapes...
The original EPCOT design had focus and symmetry... This trend towards park design with unclear paths, obstructed views and way too many trees is the anithesis of the Disney Design....When I look at the redesign it just looks ponderous and empty...

Bocabear

Let's hope for gorgeous... Does the other design have a better focus? or is it that same sort of "Discovery Island" treatmen where you wander throught trees and planting berms until you reach the lake?

Kman101

Not publically. They have another hideous idea, and also quite a gorgeous one.

You make me really freakin' nervous over the Epcot spine. Sounds like a wide variety of .... ideas.

Can they just get started painting, tearing those tarps down and removing the tombstones? They don't need a massive overhaul.

Can't they just turn the spine into smaller projects spread out over the next few years? Why does it need to be a massive makeover? Instead of re-allocating funds for rides and theaters, reallocate some of these funds, as long as some of the things we all agree should go goes.

I'd rather get Coco in Mexico than a total overhaul of the Future World spine (of course I still want work to be done though).

It's kind of ridiculous they "can't afford" to do everything and re-allocate funds. But then it brings the argument about how costly things really are ...

Kman101

What do you think of the EPCOT Central Spine redesign?

I'm a little scared.:(

Martin's post have started making me scared. When I wasn't before. You'd think with the doom and gloom about it they were demoing the entire area and starting over. When he can, Martin needs to spill the tea about the competiting plans and how awful, or good, it could have been.

I'd like them re-purposed, but losing the two Innovention spaces wouldn't devastate me like some. I don't know that I mind if a hotel was placed on the side but I absolutely do not want it in front of the park unless it was a design that benefited the entrance. So there's a lot of bad ways they could go with this, but I don't know if a hotel would be included in the spine. I don't see why it wouldn't (even if budgets are separate, but I have no idea if they are).

Epcot82Guy

The more I see these, the more I see a concept I could actually get behind to push Epcot in a new direction without totally destroying it. Re-do it into four main areas:
1. Epcot Center - The wonders of imagination and innovation. The entry, plaza, Imagination and Test Track). Open up Communicore as shown, but replace it with similar buildings to create a promenade. Odyssey is updated to Food Lab. Maybe even pull One Man's Dream into a space to round it out. This solves the update problem by having only two "future" aspects both focused on ideas (i.e. design).
2. The Natural World - The wonders of the natural world. The Land, Seas and anything else added there.
3. Other Worlds - The wonders Celebrating outer space and our fascination with it. Guardians (sci-fi space), Mission:Space (real space) and maybe a redone Wonders to be a Horizons-esque look at our view of space travel through history. This at least allows a little bit of story to tie to Guardians as well as M:S
4. World Showcase - Same as it has been.

I still am trying to find someway to keep a cohesive theme in the park. And turning the front into an odd, Project Gemini-like space without sticking to the Worlds' Fair type pavilions seems very, very odd.

tirian

Ummm... when they publicly unveiled concept art.

Internal concept art is one thing but when.you show the public a single rendering, your.plan is pretty much set.
Clearly, you don’t own many Imagineering books with their public announcements of the Spain, Israel, and Switzerland pavilions at EPCOT Center, or Disney’s America, or Hyperion Wharf, or any number of publicly released statements and concepts that quietly died.

Disney has a long track record of doing this.

NoChesterHester

Here. I’ll link to the text when I relocate it again.

Attachments

• 0F4C6B75-6A63-466F-BEB3-7414ECF14F29.jpeg
    0F4C6B75-6A63-466F-BEB3-7414ECF14F29.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 232

peter11435

Clearly, you don’t own many Imagineering books with their public announcements of the Spain, Israel, and Switzerland pavilions at EPCOT Center, or Disney’s America, or Hyperion Wharf, or any number of publicly released statements and concepts that quietly died.

Disney has a long track record of doing this.
Exactly.

This aired on Disney Channel...

Imagineerland

I figured I'd toss this up here. Obviously a fan creation and 100% not legit, but a fun look at a layout that could work. Some good ideas, some bad. They explain the reasoning of what they thought up in the blog post. I'm sure someone will poke holes in it (like usual) but I thought it was neat enough to share.
Also, I do wonder if that's close to how the Space Restaurant will be shaped?

Source: http://imagineerland.blogspot.com/2018/01/epcot-2018-plan-dream-version.html

Thanks for sharing. Almost didn't notice this here. Yeah this is just something I put together for fun and to work out some ideas. I'm sure there are some ideas that some would disagree with, but I am happy with it and surprised that it showed up here in a real discussion.

Banana. And a square. And another square. And an existing square.

Good to know. So I guess a single curved wall that looks out to "space" instead of a round restaurant like I assumed. I had no idea about the shape so put in a guess just to have something in place.

Saw that too. Brazil would be more "realistic" considering that's in the rumor stage.

Yeah Brazil is definitely more realistic right now, so I just wanted to explore something different and unexpected for fun. I'd rather wait and see what actually happens with Brazil than make my own version now and change it later. So I picked Saudi Arabia for this because I thought the Middle East was under represented, its a unique country and culture, and has the Aladdin tie in. It's not perfect, but it was fun to think up some options before we see what actually happens in the coming years.

trainplane3

Thanks for sharing. Almost didn't notice this here. Yeah this is just something I put together for fun and to work out some ideas. I'm sure there are some ideas that some would disagree with, but I am happy with it and surprised that it showed up here in a real discussion.

Good to know. So I guess a single curved wall that looks out to "space" instead of a round restaurant like I assumed. I had no idea about the shape so put in a guess just to have something in place.

Yeah Brazil is definitely more realistic right now, so I just wanted to explore something different and unexpected for fun. I'd rather wait and see what actually happens with Brazil than make my own version now and change it later. So I picked Saudi Arabia for this because I thought the Middle East was under represented, its a unique country and culture, and has the Aladdin tie in. It's not perfect, but it was fun to think up some options before we see what actually happens in the coming years.
Oh neato, I didn't know you had an account here. I really enjoy the FW "dream" version, mainly by not turning it into a IP dumping ground, bringing Horizons back, making Imagination great again, and just adding the awe that FW lacks. The only things I hate about the realistic version is seeing GotG taking over UoE (not your fault) and the ever so rumored Inside Out taking over Imagination, something I completely despise since sticking Pixar/Marvel into everything is getting very old

They're very nice drawings and quite pleasing to look at!

Kman101

Excellent job on them, though! I'm a sucker for them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom