What do you think of the EPCOT Central Spine redesign?

Kman101

I think many are taking a Blue Sky rendering as if it were as blueprint; father than what it is.

I get that and I don't blame people. They released this concept art, of course people are going to take it seriously. I think it was a bit premature of them to release something that may not entirely come to fruition and they gave us next to no details about it. They wanted to create some buzz and optimism but it sounds like they aren't sure what they're doing with it yet.

Monorail_Orange

I get that and I don't blame people. They released this concept art, of course people are going to take it seriously. I think it was a bit premature of them to release something that may not entirely come to fruition and they gave us next to no details about it. They wanted to create some buzz and optimism but it sounds like they aren't sure what they're doing with it yet.
That's the impression I get as well. Especially in light of some of our insiders' comments.

Kman101

That's the impression I get as well. Especially in light of some of our insiders' comments.

Exactly. And @tirian believes a lot of it will be what's decided on while @marni1971 seems to believe it's very blue sky ... so we still aren't getting much in the way of details and I very much understand they likely don't want to say anything yet because it sounds like nothing has been truly greenlight. I guess we can at least look forward to no more tombstones and tarps and at the very least a new paint scheme? Some fountains and trees? The concept art seems a bit ambitious but I'd like them to follow through on it.

Monorail_Orange

Exactly. And @tirian believes a lot of it will be what's decided on while @marni1971 seems to believe it's very blue sky ... so we still aren't getting much in the way of details and I very much understand they likely don't want to say anything yet because it sounds like nothing has been truly greenlight. I guess we can at least look forward to no more tombstones and tarps and at the very least a new paint scheme? Some fountains and trees? The concept art seems a bit ambitious but I'd like them to follow through on it.
I think you're right. I also think the blue sky art takes liberties to reflect a redesign of existing buildings and facades at Communicore East, rather than removal. The west side looks to be mostly gone in that art work, and replaced with that new circular building at the south end. But again, this seems more Blue Sky proposal than any sort of an actual, practical plan.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What currently is definite are changes. New entrance look. No legacy. More landscaping. And a new look to the area currently known as Innoventions.

tirian

What currently is definite are changes. New entrance look. No legacy. More landscaping. And a new look to the area currently known as Innoventions.

Sorry if my earlier comment misled you, @Kman101, because I only posted an idea for Innoventions. This is an extremely Blue-Sky rendering. Nothing is finalized except for no Legacy Tombstones, definitely more landscaping, and the addition of GOTG. This shouldn't have been made public because there aren't definite plans, just purposely ambiguous concept art.

Edit: Project Kaleidoscope is dead too. Hallelujah.

Last edited:

Kman101

Sorry if my earlier comment misled you, @Kman101, because I only posted an idea for Innoventions. This is an extremely Blue-Sky rendering. Nothing is finalized except for no Legacy Tombstones, definitely more landscaping, and the addition of GOTG. This shouldn't have been made public because there aren't definite plans, just purposely ambiguous concept art.

Glad to hear Kaleidoscope is dead. Awful idea. I'd just be thrilled to see the paint scheme go away at this point LOL (and I'm really thrilled we seem to know for sure the tombstones are going. That can't come soon enough for me).

No misleading I probably mistook some of your posts about it. Thank you for clarifying :)

Cmdr_Crimson

While I really like all the new directions that Epcot is taking, I'd be concerned about the loss of Electric Umbrella due to it being really the only large capacity QS restaurant in Future World (if not the only one?). I'd hope that if it goes away, we get another QS with similar offerings for picky eaters/people who want a quick bite.

Or for people who just can't afford the pricier offerings (like myself) it's about as good as it gets....

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Any estimates on a time frame for this (both when we could see major work start and when it may be completed by)? I realize that any work on each of the pavilions (especially in the area currently known as Future World) will likely be staggered (with Energy and Space being first), but is this overall project something that is going to be spaced out over 5-10 years or are they going to try and do it all in 3-5 years. I guess what I really want to know is if I go to Epcot in the 2019/2020/2021 time frame, is half the park going to be behind construction walls, or will it be a little more manageable than that? (and yes, I realize that most people here will not have definitive answers for these... so most of these questions are more rhetorical than anything else)...

Fairsky

The "blue sky" art is nice, but I would rather know the guiding vision or narrative that will direct the renovation of Future World. What will it be called? What will unite this section of Epcot? What continuity or discontinuity will there be with the original vision of FW?

Personally, I have no problem with more IP at Epcot or even a move away from a focus on the future so long as the changes are consistent with the original vision of inspiration and education. (I don't yet see how they will do that with the new GOTG e-ticket ride, but I will reserve judgment until they release more info.) And I hope whatever they are developing for Epcot's spine will stay focused on the inspiration/education idea. That is what ought to distinguish Epcot from the other parks.

trainplane3

I've tried searching for Project Kaledioscope but I could never find out everything it was supposed to cover. I know the new paint was part of it and maybe the new railings around the fountain and other minor areas?

PREMiERdrum

I've tried searching for Project Kaledioscope but I could never find out everything it was supposed to cover. I know the new paint was part of it and maybe the new railings around the fountain and other minor areas?

The scope of the project was never fully disclosed... it was to have started with the new paint, with other corresponding changes from Earth Station down to the lagoon. Thank goodness step 1 was enough to stop them in their tracks.

Fairsky

I wonder if they have something like this planned for the odd circular building at the south end of FW with the 'flying triangles' emerging from it:

The video shows lights descending from the ceiling, but couldn't this be reversed to have elements rising up from the ground/building?

Some sort of kinetic architecture would be fantastic at Epcot and add a stunning visual element, along with the dancing fountains, to any new nighttime show.

brb1006

Bring back the Centorium!!!
"the store sold items such as solar toys and sculptures, natural food cookbooks, sprout jars, electronic toys and games"
And I remembered alot of NASA toys!! Alot of the toys were not disney they were educational... AND IT WAS TWO STORIES!!!
http://waltdatedworld.com/id76.htm
62f9b620.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom