What do you think of the EPCOT Central Spine redesign?

Maeryk

Who were the imagineers on Gemini? Was Fitzgerald one of them? As they say, old good ideas never die at WDI.

Also, @marni1971 is the plan to shoehorn movie IP into *every* pavillion? Looking at this concept art, I see two major themes: space/transport in West vs. exploration/discovery of the natural world in the East. East already has IP Seas with Nemo, I could see a moderate refurb to make it look more like the Marine Life Institute in Finding Dory, with adding some of the outdoor components that would then transition into a rainforest-theme in front of the Land. I could see adding Zootopia IP to Land (or just outside of it) with those (elevated?) walkways reminiscent of the chase scene from the movie. And the hedge maze just can't help but make me think of Alice in Wonderland, which could be a good fit for Imagination (after all WDW needs an Alice ride!). Though, I would prefer a return of Figment and Dreamfinder.

On the West, we already know about UoE becoming GotG, something new would go into WoL, hopefully, M:S will stay as is, possibly with IP overlay, likely not, and TestTrack could just complete its metamorphosis to truly be Tron-Track. That way you get rid of the sponsor problems (when would Chevy's sponsorship be up?).

Eventually, something would change with Spaceship Earth (though I hope not!), but perhaps the new post-show will tie the ride in to the new "vision" of Epcot.

I am not advocating for the total IP-ification of EPCOT, but I see the upside to it. No need to worry about sponsors any more, attractions would have predictable maintenance schedules, and would hopefully be plussed from time to time, and it would be timeless, so as to not ever stagnate. I think there are ways to achieve this AND also keep the original mission of EPCOT "to entertain, inform and inspire"

Again, not saying this is *my* preferred direction, but if it needs to be done, I think it will be done well.

Don't know how EPCOT as a name stays, it will be interesting to see.

If you look at the picture, there's no post-show building for SE.

*eta EPCOT stopped being an acronym a long time ago. It just is the name of the park now.

Last edited:

toeknee

How has the prospect of having online shopping not been brought up before now? This is strictly my opinion, but the last I checked, Amazon and online shopping are becoming the norm. Why would Disney want to waste a chunk of space on a gift shop when the same products can be found online? I understand buying items in the moment. There's something to be said about physically holding product before purchasing it. But if the Communicore buildings are getting axed, I feel that space can be used better for something else.

Also, in regards to the two story shop that was there before the Millennium celebration: why hasn't Disney considered more buildings with 2+ stories? It would leave them with more room on the ground.

In response,
1) Impulse shopping, limited available items, forgotten essentials (sunscreen, poncho, warmer clothing, etc.) ...
2) 2 stories means that both floors need to be equally accessible to all people (e.g., elevators would be required) and they general need more people to operate (e.g., you cant leave an entire floor without any staff) . Not that this has stopped others (e.g., Coke at DS) - but I'm offering it up as a possible reason.

deWild

In response,
1) Impulse shopping, limited available items, forgotten essentials (sunscreen, poncho, warmer clothing, etc.) ...
2) 2 stories means that both floors need to be equally accessible to all people (e.g., elevators would be required) and they general need more people to operate (e.g., you cant leave an entire floor without any staff) . Not that this has stopped others (e.g., Coke at DS) - but I'm offering it up as a possible reason.

I understand impulse buying. And I know that MouseGear is a large moneymaker for Disney. I didn’t mean to make an inaccurate point. I guess what I was trying to get at is at some point I feel like Disney will have to consider the impact of online shopping on their merchandising at the parks. Resorts might be slightly different since many of them carry items forgotten at home.

Maeryk

I understand impulse buying. And I know that MouseGear is a large moneymaker for Disney. I didn’t mean to make an inaccurate point. I guess what I was trying to get at is at some point I feel like Disney will have to consider the impact of online shopping on their merchandising at the parks. Resorts might be slightly different since many of them carry items forgotten at home.

Online has it's drawbacks though. You can't see the cut, or feel the fit. Many people want to handle things, rather than just pick them off a website. Especially with toys and such. Plus, with a website, your stroller-bound kid is unlikely to see something they just have to have, and scream until you pick it up for them.

NeedMoreMickey

I find the septic/musty smelling area outside of the Epcot Character Spot to be charming. It's kind of like "Oh Epcot - you and your quirks!"
The smell has been there for a couple of years, at least 2. Hope that will be fixed.

I enjoy shopping in MouseGear because I don't always have time to go to DS. Most trips we skip DS because we are only there 4 days without a car and to depend on a bus round trip is a waste of time to me.

Last edited:

Monorail_Orange

Its still an acronym. Just not the original one. Now it just means, Every Person Comes Out Tired.
Didn't you hear? Chappie changed it, it's now Every Pocket Comes Out Thinner.

Hard to tell from the concept art what exactly this will be. I almost wonder if the MouseGear location/building is still there, just with a different, more natural-looking aesthetic to camouflage it. It also appears to me as if the Electric Umbrella is also still in place, but the roof connecting the two is removed. Going back to Project Gemini, I think the new concept art is reflecting more of a subdivision/separation and partial removal of the Communicore buildings, much like what was proposed for Gemini. Whoever said Project Gemini 2.0 hit the nail on the head.

Martin, if you can comment, did these plans have an effect of the rather sudden non-renewal of Seimen's sponsorship?

Viget

If you look at the picture, there's no post-show building for SE.

*eta EPCOT stopped being an acronym a long time ago. It just is the name of the park now.

Yes I know that, though to me it will always be EPCOT.

In any case, people still associate Epcot or whatever you want to call it, with some vision of the future (T for tomorrow). It's hard to keep Epcot in the name and have no association with the future, which it looks like this blue sky concept will do.

It would have to be "Epcot Discoveryland" (like project Gemini plans), or "Epcot ____" for it to make sense, using Epcot more as and adjective rather than a noun. Or maybe "Disney Insert Pithy Park Title Here at Epcot Center".

Maeryk

In any case, people still associate Epcot or whatever you want to call it, with some vision of the future (T for tomorrow). It's hard to keep Epcot in the name and have no association with the future, which it looks like this blue sky concept will do.

It would have to be "Epcot Discoveryland" (like project Gemini plans), or "Epcot ____" for it to make sense, using Epcot more as and adjective rather than a noun. Or maybe "Disney Insert Pithy Park Title Here at Epcot Center".

Those of us who remember it from way back when, sure. But Disney is banking on plane loads of Brazilian tourists not caring. Like it or not, those of us who fondly remember the past are not Disney's target audience with the park upgrades/redesigns/expansions. Because they know, for the most part, we will keep coming, unless they pave the place flat. and even if they do that, we'll probably walk around and point at where stuff used to be. They are catering to the people who are trying to decide to make their first trip, and to where.

Monorail_Orange

Truth be told, I have serious doubts whether the average guest has any idea the EPCOT started as an acronym, much less what it stood for. I think most people (obivously, not those of us on this forum) associate Epcot with the park with "the big golf ball," Soarin', Test Track, and the Frozen ride.

Viget

Let me reiterate this is BLUE SKY art.

Ok, got it. So I guess speculation is futile on this, then? Not trying to be snarky, just genuinely want to know.

Do you think the fact that they decided to show this particular piece of art means this is the general directon they're headed? Or do you think concepts from the other plans could still be incorporated?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So people are reading too much into it?

Ok, got it. So I guess speculation is futile on this, then? Not trying to be snarky, just genuinely want to know.

Do you think the fact that they decided to show this particular piece of art means this is the general directon they're headed? Or do you think concepts from the other plans could still be incorporated?

For now it gives an idea in the direction they are looking at, not how the final product will be.

It could have most of the details in the art or it could have very few.

raven

Let your "Imagination" run wild at our new Glass Pyramid gift shop! Featuring two floors of collectible merchandise featuring the Disney characters you love! And introducing our groundbreaking "darkstore" concept. Board your vehicle and move through the Collector's Warehouse. As you do so, using your Imagination Blaster on the vehicle, choose which items you would like delivered to your resort hotel.. or shipped directly to your home, (for a modest handling fee) all with your Magicband! Simply zap the items into your cart, and tap on the way out! Remember, mickey to mickey and wait for the chime!

:D

Ismael Flores

I really like the green look of the area. If the aesthetics and lighting give it that futuristic look I am all for it. Communication structures were starting to look dated and create an unecessary clutter. When they were built they were full of life slowly those buildings had not much of interest

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom