What Do You Think is in Phase Two for Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
While the Force Awakens was an incredibly derivative and unimaginative movie, it was generally well received, so I can see why Iger thought making the land around the sequels would make sense.

Then The Last Jedi went in a completely different direction from the Force Awakens and divided the fandom. And then The Rise of Skywalker managed to disappoint those who both loved and hated the Last Jedi, ensuring that everyone disliked the sequel trilogy by the time all was said and done. As someone who liked both the Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, I felt Rise of Skywalker retroactively ruined the entire sequel trilogy and greatly weakened the original and prequel trilogies. Bringing Palpatine back from the dead was the worst storytelling decision imaginable.
7 was bad…8 was worse…

9 was what Happens when you climb into the dumpster and someone lights It on you.

Happy trails 🐴

MagicHappens1971

The Iger concept, which he announced when Lucas Films was obtained, was to generate 9 Star Wars movies in succession within a rather short time of each other. Obviously, the idea was to flood the movie market with Star Wars and cash in a mega money haul quickly. No thought to creativity, story lines or the fact the actors portraying the core central characters were aging, in the case of Harrison Ford (he admitted during an interview) did not want to be the character Han Solo or Carrie Fisher who passed away. The results of such short-sighted thinking are now a matter of record. The franchise is strong enough though that a return to the big screen can be done just need to allow the creative people to do what they do.
I think the fact that they have Feige running one of the most successful inter-connected film franchise ever, and concurrently produced the awful trilogy. While also releasing the masterpiece that was Rouge One, just shows that Lucasfilm (Kennedy) is a hot mess. I think Filoni & Faverau have done wonders recently, but the fact that they are hesitant to release a feature film and just keep producing short-form Disney+ shows concerns me.

UNCgolf

Bringing Palpatine back from the dead was the worst storytelling decision imaginable.

I think JJ Abrams choosing to blow up the New Republic (in a wildly silly and stupid way) to reset everything into a small rebellion against essentially the Empire again was an even worse decision than bringing Palpatine back to life -- and I think at least some of the problems with the Last Jedi are due to that decision -- but while the Force Awakens wasn't a good movie, it was certainly better than Rise of Skywalker overall.

RSoxNo1

This is about the most mind boggling way of thinking in the history of the business world. Mando and baby yoda should have been in the land day one, no exceptions. Disney has lost out on countless millions for locking the land in such a narrow timeframe in my opinion.
It's a company that chases pennies while dollars fly over their heads.

Yes, I understand that the Starcruiser guests pay a lot more than us normal people. But the number of normal people that visit the park vastly outnumber the Starcruiser guests.

Seriously, why is this the thematic hill they will die on?

The only relevant timeline in a Star Wars land is A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far Far Away.

El Grupo

I'm thinkin'....

Resistance Flight Training, an X-Wing themed spinner.
I‘ve often wondered if Imagineering had a Star Wars attraction in mind with this patent.
4CFACCC4-C029-4A48-BA39-44D5745F72F3.jpeg

yensidtlaw1969

To me, the big advantage of doing a land with no specific place in the movies is the ability to do whatever you want! Instead, Disney is artificially constricting themselves. Or, more likely, they are to cheap/lazy to do anything.
I've said it before and I'll say it again; they've got their "Immersion" formula backwards.

"Immersion" should be one of the goals when making your really ________ project (Fill in Fun, Exciting, Thrilling, Engaging, etc.), since achieving a high degree of immersion is likely to elevate the _______-ness of the project. You decide the fun thing you want to build, and then you make the most immersive version of that.

Instead, what Disney has been doing lately is using "Immersion" as a metric for what can and cannot be done. If a really fun concept butts heads even a little it gets nixed, because "Immersion" is the goal over making something fun, exciting, thrilling, engaging . . . Which results in "Sorry kids, Baby Yoda isn't in Star Wars Land because it would ruin the Immersion", instead of "Guests are dying to meet Baby Yoda, how do we make his Meet and Greet the best experience possible?"

"Immersion" has become an excuse to not do cool things rather than a means to make cool things even cooler.

UNCgolf

"Immersion" has become an excuse to not do cool things rather than a means to make cool things even cooler.

I think they looked at the HP areas and completely misread their popularity -- as though the reason they are so successful is because of immersion in general, and thus could be applied to anything.

The immersion is a big part of it, but it's also almost, albeit not entirely, unique to HP. There are very few other properties that have both the overall popularity and the iconic settings to work the way HP does.

That's not to say that immersion shouldn't be part of projects, because I think it goes hand in hand with themed environments in general (Magic Kingdom and DHS have actually lost immersion with the elimination of so much themed shopping, e.g.), but it doesn't need to be so strict. It's more about a general feel than actual specific rules.

El Grupo

What's that for?
If I recall correctly, it was part of a patent submission from Disney for an axis control design that would allow a ride vehicle to swing from a beam like a pendulum while keeping the vehicle parallel to the surface. As with some other patent submissions, the additional elements, such as the 180 degree screen, may just be window dressing. But the overall Illustration generated a bit of discussion among fans about the potential of a flight simulator ride when the patent request first surfaced a few years back.

RSoxNo1

I think they looked at the HP areas and completely misread their popularity -- as though the reason they are so successful is because of immersion in general, and thus could be applied to anything.

The immersion is a big part of it, but it's also almost, albeit not entirely, unique to HP. There are very few other properties that have both the overall popularity and the iconic settings to work the way HP does.

That's not to say that immersion shouldn't be part of projects, because I think it goes hand in hand with themed environments in general (Magic Kingdom and DHS have actually lost immersion with the elimination of so much themed shopping, e.g.), but it doesn't need to be so strict. It's more about a general feel than actual specific rules.
They 100% misread it. It's a clear indication of them not understanding why their competition is successful and why they're successful. Current leadership isn't creative nor do they understand the value of creativity. They understand how to monetize that creativity to a certain extent but not necessarily how to utilize the creative minds in the company to their greatest ability.

WDWFREAK53

I felt Rise of Skywalker retroactively ruined the entire sequel trilogy and greatly weakened the original and prequel trilogies. Bringing Palpatine back from the dead was the worst storytelling decision imaginable.

Don't get me wrong, Rise of Skywalker was bad...but I personally didn't mind Palpatine being back. In the prequel trilogy it was stated that Plagueis learned how to cheat death, and Sidious learned from him.

Rise of Skywalker had some good bones...but I do think JJ was stuck trying to fix things from TLJ while bringing the trilogy to some sort of finish.

Ghost93

Don't get me wrong, Rise of Skywalker was bad...but I personally didn't mind Palpatine being back. In the prequel trilogy it was stated that Plagueis learned how to cheat death, and Sidious learned from him.

Rise of Skywalker had some good bones...but I do think JJ was stuck trying to fix things from TLJ while bringing the trilogy to some sort of finish.
I feel like bringing Palpatine back made the sequel trilogy redundant. It also completely undercut the sequel trilogy's attempt to revitalize the franchise for a new generation. If you had only ever watched the Force Awakens and The Last Jedi — as I'm sure many young children did, you would have very little understanding of who Palpatine is. Making him the villain in the Rise of Skywalker comes completely out of left field. It wasn't set up well AT ALL.

And I think JJ trying to "fix" things from the Last Jedi was a mistake. Had episode 9 been a natural evolution from the Last Jedi, the sequel trilogy would have remained polarizing but it would have at least satisfied SOME fans. The episode 9 we ended up getting turned off both people who loved and hated The Last Jedi.

erasure fan1

you would have very little understanding of who Palpatine is. Making him the villain in the Rise of Skywalker comes completely out of left field. It wasn't set up well AT ALL.
Wait, so announcing it in Fortnite wasn't a good enough set up for you? Man people are so hard to please. :cautious:
And I think JJ trying to "fix" things from the Last Jedi was a mistake. Had episode 9 been a natural evolution from the Last Jedi, the sequel trilogy would have remained polarizing but it would have at least satisfied SOME fans.
After last Jedi, it was going to be a hard sell either way. Even if JJ just continues what Rian started. It still doesn't really work. You killed off the big bad, even if Kylo takes the role, it's still not great. It was always going to be a disjointed mess no matter what JJ did. That's not say I approve of what JJ did, I just don't think it would have worked either way.

DonniePeverley

They've messed up the movies and have now messed up what is pretty much a 'meh' rather averagy new land in the park.

If anyone has faith Chapek can change this then you must believe in aliens.

Dutch Inn '76

Bringing Palpatine back was sort of the "cherry on top" of the awful Star Wars Sequel Trilogy sundae that Kathleen Kennedy and company built for us. I actually laughed out loud in the theatre when I realized what was going on.

If we were to all get together and try to make it worse, I'm not sure how we could do that - short of moving Jar Jar to the Dark Side as Palpatine's secret apprentice...

JD80

Star Wars just needs to fast forward and make some new stories. While I enjoy things like Andor tremendously, I'd prefer that the only Star Wars we get is sandwhiched into the timeline we know what already happened and what is about to happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom