What do you miss the most ? Now that it is gone from WDW?

PoohsGang

Wow, I'm impressed. We went 3 whole post before someone mentioned Snorizons and 12 before Mr Toad's Wild Cardboard Cutout.

If You had Wings was awesome to get away from the crowds, like an air conditioned TTA. :lol:

Reagrdless it was dated and not popular so it should have been replaced.

It doesn't matter how much any of us liked it. This thread is just another wallowing in the "They took my favorite ride/restaruant/bench/planter away" genre that has become to frequent on these boards lately. Just a side note, I started typing this before Ravenclaw87 posted so the bench and planters comment was not directed at him/her.

I don't post much, but having to wade through these threads to get to anything positive is disheartening.

Perhaps we need a section of the forum just for complaints and lamentation of gone attractions. Then we would also need a special sub-section just for fraking Epcot.

I know this is the general discussion thread and that "If you don't like it, don't open it" will probably be posted right below this, but can we please move on?

Horizon was demolished almost 10 years ago, Mr. Toad was replaced over seven. Let the poor attractions sleep. I can't imagine still being upset about anything for 10 years much less a ride building.

I apologize for highjacking this thread, but it was the proverbial straw for me. I will now take your flames.

I get the feeling some people post so they bait people into flaming them, :shrug: I wonder if anyone else has picked up on that? :veryconfu I'm not taking the bait. :snore:

Capt. Salty

Wow, I'm impressed. We went 3 whole post before someone mentioned Snorizons and 12 before Mr Toad's Wild Cardboard Cutout.

If You had Wings was awesome to get away from the crowds, like an air conditioned TTA. :lol:

Reagrdless it was dated and not popular so it should have been replaced.

It doesn't matter how much any of us liked it. This thread is just another wallowing in the "They took my favorite ride/restaruant/bench/planter away" genre that has become to frequent on these boards lately. Just a side note, I started typing this before Ravenclaw87 posted so the bench and planters comment was not directed at him/her.

I don't post much, but having to wade through these threads to get to anything positive is disheartening.

Perhaps we need a section of the forum just for complaints and lamentation of gone attractions. Then we would also need a special sub-section just for fraking Epcot.

I know this is the general discussion thread and that "If you don't like it, don't open it" will probably be posted right below this, but can we please move on?

Horizon was demolished almost 10 years ago, Mr. Toad was replaced over seven. Let the poor attractions sleep. I can't imagine still being upset about anything for 10 years much less a ride building.

I apologize for highjacking this thread, but it was the proverbial straw for me. I will now take your flames.
That's the beauty of boards such as this, it provides us the opportunity to remember those fantastic attractions, more importantly, it allows us to remember the times that we spent w/family and friends on truly magical trips and how much fun it really was! I hope that we never let those old attractions just sleep. May sound silly, but as I said, remembering them is remembering the wonderful times we spent. I'm not going to "flame" you, it's your opinion and wouldnt want you to take it that way at all. Reliving old times is sometimes fun!:animwink:

dox

I miss alot of the same attractions mentioned above, such as the original JII, Horizons, AE, Mr. Toads, 20K, and IYHW...oh and the Walt Disney Story on Main Street..now that dates me. But what I really miss so much were all the topiaries that existed by the TTC you would see on the monorail as it departed on its way to MK. They used to have so many spread out everywhere by the TTC.

jakeman

I get the feeling some people post so they bait people into flaming them, :shrug: I wonder if anyone else has picked up on that? :veryconfu I'm not taking the bait. :snore:
I'm not baiting people into flaming me. I'm stating what I have observed the trend on the boards to be and how it affects me. I added the comment about flames because that is the typical response.

In my honest opinion, and not trolling boards or anything like that, I never cared for Horizons, Mr. Toad, or 20,000 Leagues and don't understand the anguish over their departure.

Starting yet another thread regarding these missing attraction is redundant. Perhaps, if other reason were given beside the generic "spirit of Epcot" or "a true Disney dark ride" for them being missed so I would understand.

Capt. Salty said:
That's the beauty of boards such as this, it provides us the opportunity to remember those fantastic attractions, more importantly, it allows us to remember the times that we spent w/family and friends on truly magical trips and how much fun it really was! I hope that we never let those old attractions just sleep. May sound silly, but as I said, remembering them is remembering the wonderful times we spent. I'm not going to "flame" you, it's your opinion and wouldnt want you to take it that way at all. Reliving old times is sometimes fun!

And thank you for your response Capt. Salty, this is the direction, in my opinion, that this and threads like these should go. Sharing a reason for missing something is not neccessarily to validate your feelings to other, but to connect with the rest of the community.

To simply make a list, to me at least, comes off as generic complaining.

In fact, I'll start with something I miss. In all seriousness If You had Wings was really our TTA before it was closed down. There was never a line and it was just enough time and entertaining enough to get me recharge with my parents and my sister. I miss the attraction but I wouldn't want it back for all the money in the world to replace the memories I've made on Buzz Lightyear with my wife.

Poohbearturbo!

what i miss

there are many attractions that i miss dearly; mr toad's wild ride, extraterrorestrial encounter (now stitch's escape), horizons, world of motion, and the original journey into imagination.

LorangeJuice

Horizons all the way. There are some others, but seeing Horizons in a pile of rubble envoked an emotional response. Yes, I thought I was crazy too, jakeman, don't worry. Ever thought that perhaps not all of those people understand their feelings either? Maybe there were subliminal messages in the Omnimax loop? I dunno. Maybe it was just that good.

jakeman

Horizons all the way. There are some others, but seeing Horizons in a pile of rubble envoked an emotional response. Yes, I thought I was crazy too, jakeman, don't worry. Ever thought that perhaps not all of those people understand their feelings either? Maybe there were subliminal messages in the Omnimax loop? I dunno. Maybe it was just that good.
Crack in the orange scent?:ROFLOL:

Well then it is fine to state if you don't understand your feelings, but just making a list doesn't do anything.

Like I said, you don't have to validate your feelings to me or anyone else . In my opinion, it would just make conversations more interesting around here, rather than thread after thread of list after list.

Dukeblue1016

In fact, I'll start with something I miss. In all seriousness If You had Wings was really our TTA before it was closed down. There was never a line and it was just enough time and entertaining enough to get me recharge with my parents and my sister. I miss the attraction but I wouldn't want it back for all the money in the world to replace the memories I've made on Buzz Lightyear with my wife.

I understand you saying "it makes sense to validate a reason for getting rid of an attraction rather than just saying you miss it." Most people, though, do have a distinct reason for missing it. I also LOVE TTA; and anytime I enter MK I will not leave unless I ride it once (unless closed obviously); there's really no real reason, there's just something about that ride. I love it, my gf loves it, its relaxing. If they took that ride away; I'd be looking, 10-15-20 years from now "I really miss it" and I'd think that way to revisit why I miss it and think of how much I enoyed it.

Mr Toad's Wild Ride may not have been the most exciting ride; but when I was 8 year's old and the year was 1992, there was nothing else around that exciting (for an 8-year old). Big Rollercoasters and high intense thrills weren't there yet. Sure if I rode it today without an previous experience with it; I'd probably hate the ride. However, I wish it were there today because I would enjoy it considering how exciting it was when I was a child.

kcnole

Much of why we miss rides is simply due to nostalgia as I stated with rides like Mission to Mars and IYHW. They have been passed by long ago with technology and today would be made fun of and lampooned were they still there, but I miss them nonetheless. I remember as a kid riding Mission to Mars and thinking we had really lifted off. In fact I remember specifically asking my mom if we had really just flown. Yet I know those rides have no place in the park outside of my memory.

Rides like 20k, Toad, and Horizons are rides that I think should still be there for nostalgic reasons and others.

20k has a lot of nostalgia related to it, but it was also a wonderful attraction that was not only beautiful but that helped balance out an overly child focused fantasyland with some adult whimsy. Were the effects outdated on it? Yes, but it just needed some TLC to make it a ride truly worth riding again. (Although I will admit that if they instead brought us the 20k ride from Tokyo I wouldn't complain about it again. I miss the beauty of the lagoon though. There's not another attraction in all of the studios that was ever as beautiful as that lagoon, especially when it had the mermaids in it.

While Toad wasn't a technical marvel it was just tons of fun, and still would be today. Sure it had cardboard cutouts, but it had whimsy. What other ride in all of WDW will let you take a car to hell. There's no other ride in all of the parks that had the kind of character and fun that ride had. My other reasons for missing it are sentimental however. It was my dad's favorite ride aside from 20k, pirates, and the mansion and he and I used to ride it over and over when I was a little kid.

Horizons was another ride that needed lots of upkeep to keep from being dated, and had it gotten that upkeep it never should have had to been closed. Sure it was outdated when it closed but that was Epcot's management's fault, not the ride. The ride through our past look at the future was always fun, but to me the end where you got to choose your own future was nothing short of amazing. It was several things that made that ride a classic. The storytelling, the spirit it evoked of classic epcot, that belief in a great big beautiful tomorrow just around the bend. It was a ride that I miss everytime I enter Epcot not only for its aesthetic beauty that it evoked, but for its character as well.

jakeman

I understand you saying "it makes sense to validate a reason for getting rid of an attraction rather than just saying you miss it." Most people, though, do have a distinct reason for missing it. I also LOVE TTA; and anytime I enter MK I will not leave unless I ride it once (unless closed obviously); there's really no real reason, there's just something about that ride. I love it, my gf loves it, its relaxing. If they took that ride away; I'd be looking, 10-15-20 years from now "I really miss it" and I'd think that way to revisit why I miss it and think of how much I enoyed it.

Mr Toad's Wild Ride may not have been the most exciting ride; but when I was 8 year's old and the year was 1992, there was nothing else around that exciting (for an 8-year old). Big Rollercoasters and high intense thrills weren't there yet. Sure if I rode it today without an previous experience with it; I'd probably hate the ride. However, I wish it were there today because I would enjoy it considering how exciting it was when I was a child.
I think this is really what I'm getting at. The reason is not important, its the dialoge that is. I can understand this and relate to it better rather than just the norm of "I miss Mr. Toad". I feel the same about the TTA if they removed it I would miss it, not for any good reason but for the memories and I would do my best to express that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom