What did you do?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I have been off the grid since Wednesday. Maybe a text or two to Nick, but mostly soaking up family time, sun and beer by the pool.

Lets not assume that made me miss my runs. I did a run Friday morning down Fort Morgan road of 6 miles into a really nice gated community (jumped the fence), and a 12 mile run down to the spanish fort. I didnt make it all the way to the fort. My chest cold is still lingering and I couldnt quit coughing. Really rocking me. Im not sure if the humidity took its toll, but at 8 miles, I was coughing so bad yesterday morning, I texted Sam to come get me, but she wasnt up yet. It is the deep chest coughs that 1) hurt like hell 2) would almost make me puke my fluids 3) I was running on a busy road and started feeling very light headed. I didnt want to kiss a car coming by.

I finished it anyway. Got back to the condo and everyone was still asleep. :rolleyes: I felt like Forrest Gump. The road was hot, long and mentally the boringest run I have done in a long long time. A moment of shade on this run...... this for 12 miles. Oy.
photo.JPG

Mr mom

I have been off the grid since Wednesday. Maybe a text or two to Nick, but mostly soaking up family time, sun and beer by the pool.

Lets not assume that made me miss my runs. I did a run Friday morning down Fort Morgan road of 6 miles into a really nice gated community (jumped the fence), and a 12 mile run down to the spanish fort. I didnt make it all the way to the fort. My chest cold is still lingering and I couldnt quit coughing. Really rocking me. Im not sure if the humidity took its toll, but at 8 miles, I was coughing so bad yesterday morning, I texted Sam to come get me, but she wasnt up yet. It is the deep chest coughs that 1) hurt like hell 2) would almost make me puke my fluids 3) I was running on a busy road and started feeling very light headed. I didnt want to kiss a car coming by.

I finished it anyway. Got back to the condo and everyone was still asleep. :rolleyes: I felt like Forrest Gump. The road was hot, long and mentally the boringest run I have done in a long long time. A moment of shade on this run...... this for 12 miles. Oy.
View attachment 28998

time to rest

Sumrdog

I snuck in 6.3 miles at an 11:02 pace before the kids woke up. The weather was perfect 48 degrees and a gentle drizzle. Now it has escalated to down pours. I think we will go see Monsters U now, I had planned on going to the lake, but the weather has other plans...

Texas84

Finished 17th in the Chick-fil-a Race Series Middle Georgia region. Nice! It's a point system and I did 3 of 5 races which included the only 10K, so extra points for that. The 10K was hilly and kicked my you-know-what so that killed my average pace. But this was a lot of fun. Going to try for all five races next year. Maybe I can win some chicken.
CFA2013_zps1dbddf3f.jpg

a2grafix

I've been in Memphis since right around Labor Day, late August 2012. I've experienced the end of summer, all of fall, winter and spring, and now experiencing the start of summer. I'm realizing really quick that I better buckle up and enjoy the 90F+ temperatures in the early evening or the low 70sF temps just around dawn if I am going to stay in shape and prepare for the Disneyland Half. I need to adjust to the heat.

As I write this post, it is right before 11pm and still 84F.

So I woke up at 5am Monday, ate breakfast (which consisted of fruity oatmeal) and went out for a run an hour later. Ran for a good 40 minutes in the already sticky dawn air. It was in the mid-70sF and when I finished a little after 7am it was 77. Monday''s high was only 92F with a heat index of the upper 90s.

After my run I decided to cool off in the city center's fountains. Refreshing, quite refreshing.

1026235_10151649239382708_766068874_o.jpg

Mr mom

Was about 80 when I started and 88 when I finished, felt like dying at mile 10 but was determined to break 13, managed 13.2 miles and then had to stop. Stupid me... still never took water, really dehydrated right now.

joel_maxwell

Its official. Im broke down like a cheap set of porch furniture form Walmart. I have full blown Pneumonia in my left lung. Doc laughed at me when I said my Sunday 12 miles felt like I only had 1 lung..... he said, "Because you did." That is why 12 felt like 24 and I was extremely sore. I shouldn't be sore at all on a 12 mile flat run.

Oh well. I am probably conceding the thought of the Hotter N Hell July 27th 18 miler on the trails. I dont think it would be smart to try it. We will see how long recovery is. If all fails, Ill volunteer and work an aid station. I need to do that anyway.

Ariel484

@joel_maxwell Holy crap! Best wishes for a safe and speedy recovery. As much as it would stink to miss your race, volunteering might be really fun. I really need to do that at some point as well. Hope you feel better soon!

joel_maxwell

@joel_maxwell Holy crap! Best wishes for a safe and speedy recovery. As much as it would stink to miss your race, volunteering might be really fun. I really need to do that at some point as well. Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks. Yes, I need too. I have never done it in the 4+ years of doing events. Also, Nick and I have been in a few discussions about trail shoes and me changing my shoe for technical stuff. I need some time to test and approve I have the right one.

Things have been slow going for me the last two days. I swam on Saturday for cross training and took Sunday off. Then Monday and today all four of my kids have been sick. This meant my youngest (5mo) was up round the clock. I can't bring them to daycare at the gym to run and I was too exhausted this morning to get up and go out. I'm pushing myself to mentally prep to head out when my husband gets home from work. I can do it!

Mr mom

Its official. Im broke down like a cheap set of porch furniture form Walmart. I have full blown Pneumonia in my left lung. Doc laughed at me when I said my Sunday 12 miles felt like I only had 1 lung..... he said, "Because you did." That is why 12 felt like 24 and I was extremely sore. I shouldn't be sore at all on a 12 mile flat run.

Oh well. I am probably conceding the thought of the Hotter N Hell July 27th 18 miler on the trails. I dont think it would be smart to try it. We will see how long recovery is. If all fails, Ill volunteer and work an aid station. I need to do that anyway.

Take it easy and for craps sake let your lung clear.

Sumrdog

Holy schnikes! I hope you feel better soon, pneumonia is awful. Running 12 miles with it sounds like a horrible experience...Do your best to take it easy.

Sumrdog

Things have been slow going for me the last two days. I swam on Saturday for cross training and took Sunday off. Then Monday and today all four of my kids have been sick. This meant my youngest (5mo) was up round the clock. I can't bring them to daycare at the gym to run and I was too exhausted this morning to get up and go out. I'm pushing myself to mentally prep to head out when my husband gets home from work. I can do it!
Yes you can do it! Hope all your kids get better soon... Sounds like you have your hands full!

LindsayLoves

How you ran 12 miles like that is beyond me. I had pneumonia back in college and I swear I would get winded walking down the hall and had to stop and take a break so I am incredibly impressed with your 12 mile effort. Get well soon. Hopefully your fitness doesn't suffer too much with the lung issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom