What did you do?

bethram

@joel_maxwell I'm glad you went to the doctor! I hope you feel better soon and it's not too hard to get back to running distances. Last summer DH found out he had pneumonia the night before we went to WDW and he had a hard time getting over it because he didn't take it easy enough. I've thought about volunteering at races, but I never want to give up running in favor of volunteering :cool:

@Doofenshmirtz I hope your kids feel better soon so you can get both some rest and some exercise.

@Paul, I've got to start carrying water with me, too. I suck down a whole liter when I get in from my 6am runs.

Kristia

Its official. Im broke down like a cheap set of porch furniture form Walmart. I have full blown Pneumonia in my left lung. Doc laughed at me when I said my Sunday 12 miles felt like I only had 1 lung..... he said, "Because you did." That is why 12 felt like 24 and I was extremely sore. I shouldn't be sore at all on a 12 mile flat run.

Oh well. I am probably conceding the thought of the Hotter N Hell July 27th 18 miler on the trails. I dont think it would be smart to try it. We will see how long recovery is. If all fails, Ill volunteer and work an aid station. I need to do that anyway.
Wow! That is horrible. I can't believe you managed 12 miles! Now I know it is a dirty word around here, but it is time for a little REST!!! Feel better soon!

As for me, this weather is killing me. Was supposed to do a 5 mile run but forgot I had to renew my driver's license by the end of the month. Decided to swap my run for a cross-train day since the DMV was open late today. On way home the storms came. Had one yesterday afternoon. Still a little dark out there for my liking! Going to try for my run tomorrow, but this whole week is calling for pop-up thunderstorms. I feel like I am in Florida without the fun of Disney. This stinks!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
So sorry to hear about the pneumonia, Joel. Take it easy and mend.
Thanks Jill. Dont beat yourself up on the 5 miles. This summer is going to be brutal.

Take it easy and for craps sake let your lung clear.
I know I know. Sam already threaten to hide my shoes if she even thinks I am going running.

Holy schnikes! I hope you feel better soon, pneumonia is awful. Running 12 miles with it sounds like a horrible experience...Do your best to take it easy.
It wasnt fun. I was supposed to do 14. That was the distance down to Fort Morgan and back to the condo. I felt like I was dying at mile 6. Seriously. I debated calling Sam to come get me for 2 miles. I didnt want to give up because I didnt know at the time it was this bad. At mile 8, I called her. She wasnt awake yet. o_O Granted, we were on vacation, and it was 7am.

How you ran 12 miles like that is beyond me. I had pneumonia back in college and I swear I would get winded walking down the hall and had to stop and take a break so I am incredibly impressed with your 12 mile effort. Get well soon. Hopefully your fitness doesn't suffer too much with the lung issue.
Im breathing hard walking up the stairs. Sam has been all over me mad. "You could have collapsed your lung, passed out, or done something worse". I think those are a little exaggerated, but I am stubborn and still have the 18 mentality of I can make it through at age 37.

@joel_maxwell I'm glad you went to the doctor! I hope you feel better soon and it's not too hard to get back to running distances. Last summer DH found out he had pneumonia the night before we went to WDW and he had a hard time getting over it because he didn't take it easy enough. I've thought about volunteering at races, but I never want to give up running in favor of volunteering :cool:
I am going to volunteer. Forget July 27th. I have a 50k to get ready for in November. Im fine with it. I need to help these guys out.

Wow! That is horrible. I can't believe you managed 12 miles! Now I know it is a dirty word around here, but it is time for a little REST!!! Feel better soon!

As for me, this weather is killing me. Was supposed to do a 5 mile run but forgot I had to renew my driver's license by the end of the month. Decided to swap my run for a cross-train day since the DMV was open late today. On way home the storms came. Had one yesterday afternoon. Still a little dark out there for my liking! Going to try for my run tomorrow, but this whole week is calling for pop-up thunderstorms. I feel like I am in Florida without the fun of Disney. This stinks!
No no no. You didnt just say that word did you. LOL.

I know is is hot Kristie. Nice job on the cross train. Always good to mix it up.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts. Ill be fine. At least my ankle will really get healed and the swelling will be completely gone. Lets pull that positive out of a negative eh!

a2grafix

Ever have those, I'm not so sure I want to run, I worked 11 hours, I haven't eaten dinner it's almost 8pm, let me put it off until the next morning but I got out of my work clothes and put on my jogging shorts and shirt type of thoughts? But you buck up and say I'm going to run anyway - and it ends up being a very nice run? Well, I had one of those tonight. Sure it was anywhere between 83-87F between 8:30-9:45pm with a slight 10-15mph breeze, and I had a new Prince concert on my iPod, so I was ready to go.

Ended up running upwards of 5 miles in the early summer heat. Stopped a handful of times and drank some of my water I carried, but kept on moving. Maybe it was I was up since 6am, or I worked over 11 hours, or the new Prince music, I kept on going. After about 60-65 minutes through downtown I still had enough energy to finish strong and run through my new finish line. This ...

1026235_10151649239382708_766068874_o.jpg

I believe every time when I finish up my run during the summer season I will finish strong and reach my arms out and get soaked.

After talking to some coworkers who have lived in Memphis for some time and know how to deal with the hot and humidity (feels like Orlando, but a tad bit more), and after testing the evening heat, I think I will be be okay as I continue to train for both the Disneyland Half and Wine and Dine Half.

Also I wanted to post this picture again. It's my new finish line. My Alamo, and it's across the street from my apartment. Boom.

JillC LI

Things have been slow going for me the last two days. I swam on Saturday for cross training and took Sunday off. Then Monday and today all four of my kids have been sick. This meant my youngest (5mo) was up round the clock. I can't bring them to daycare at the gym to run and I was too exhausted this morning to get up and go out. I'm pushing myself to mentally prep to head out when my husband gets home from work. I can do it!

With 4 kids, I give you a heck of a lot of credit!

Going to try for my run tomorrow, but this whole week is calling for pop-up thunderstorms. I feel like I am in Florida without the fun of Disney. This stinks!

I hear ya! Hot, Humid, Hazy and pop thunderstorms all week here too. My mom took the kids to the pool today while I'm at work, so at least they're enjoying the weather.

joel_maxwell

@Paul, I've got to start carrying water with me, too. I suck down a whole liter when I get in from my 6am runs.
Beth, a few weeks ago, a friend joked with me when we were going out for a 9ish mile trail run with a lot of climbing. He said, "My god, you look like you are about to cross a desert". He didnt even carry any water. That was crazy in my book. I always carry about twice what I need, but you never know if someone else will need something in an emergency.

Sunday, I drank 50oz's of fluids in 2 hours. That is a little high for me, but I never felt bloated, so I was doing right I guess.

fmingo36

Its official. Im broke down like a cheap set of porch furniture form Walmart. I have full blown Pneumonia in my left lung. Doc laughed at me when I said my Sunday 12 miles felt like I only had 1 lung..... he said, "Because you did." That is why 12 felt like 24 and I was extremely sore. I shouldn't be sore at all on a 12 mile flat run.

Oh well. I am probably conceding the thought of the Hotter N Hell July 27th 18 miler on the trails. I dont think it would be smart to try it. We will see how long recovery is. If all fails, Ill volunteer and work an aid station. I need to do that anyway.

HOLY CRAP! That totally sucks!!! Well maybe a little break in the summer heat won't be the worse thing for you. I'm sure Sam would agree with me on that. ;)

I can't believe you ran 12 miles with pneumonia! Maybe we should start calling you Machine 2.0.
Really I had walking pneumonia a few years back and that kicked the crap out of me. I can't imagine putting in the workouts that you've been logging in with full-blown pneumonia.

As others have said on the board...rest up, enjoy your time with the girls and Mr. Toby.

JillC LI

Ran two miles this morning. This was my first time running out doors. Of course it was more of a walk, run, walk, run scenario. Still, I was proud of myself and pleased that it was a 14 min pace. Believe it or not, that is an improvement! Ah the victories of beginners. Small, but thrilling nonetheless.

Quite the contrary. The victories of a new runner are the biggest of all. Those of us who have been at this for a long time will all attest to how hard it is to start (or start again). You deserve to be proud.

It's summer folks. Don't be ashamed to slow down a bit. Pick it back up in the fall.

This is smart. Hard to allow yourself to do, but inevitable and smart.

joel_maxwell

HOLY CRAP! That totally sucks!!! Well maybe a little break in the summer heat won't be the worse thing for you. I'm sure Sam would agree with me on that. ;)

I can't believe you ran 12 miles with pneumonia! Maybe we should start calling you Machine 2.0.
Really I had walking pneumonia a few years back and that kicked the crap out of me. I can't imagine putting in the workouts that you've been logging in with full-blown pneumonia.

As others have said on the board...rest up, enjoy your time with the girls and Mr. Toby.
Thanks Coryna. As I said, I started coughing so bad at 6, I thought my guts were going to spew out my mouth. It was bad. Looking back, I was pretty stupid. I didnt feel fatigued when I woke up, no fever, etc so I thought toughing it out was best.

Sam is on me like a hawk too. If I mention or she sees me posting anything on the Birmingham Ultra Trail Society (BUTS for short) FB page, she starts the "Ah hell no you arent running this Saturday!" I know I know.

Lastly, no way am I Machine 2.0. I am so not worthy of that. Stubbornness got me those 12.... not me being a machine. Remember, I called for help at 8. No one answered. The Machine wouldnt have called. ;) Thanks for the kind words though.

Kristia

My run was like yours Coryna @fmingo36. I was making up my 5 mile run that I was supposed to do yesterday. My first 2 miles weren't too bad and pace was in the low 11's. I stopped for a water break and started my next 3 miles. It was crazy hot and humid. I had to start taking walk breaks every half mile. Ugh. I manage to squeak out an avg 11:58 pace. Yep, I agree with @Texas84, time to slow it down a bit with the heat (although I am not happy about it ;)).

bethram

7.3 miles on the bike yesterday evening. I rode 3.1 miles on and off the paved path in loops around DS (now 6) who was running, then 1.9 on loops 1 and 2 of the beginner + mountain bike trail by myself, then another 2.25 miles on the path but this time with DS on his two wheel bike :D He's been on two wheels for less than a week and it's the first time he took went to the park without training wheels.

I really didn't want to get out of bed this morning. I was sore from sprawl and brawl but I managed to go 3.75 miles at 8:39 pace according to my garmin forerunner. I downloaded the garmin fit app on my iphone a couple days ago, according to it I went 3.57 miles at 9:07 pace :confused: I know there was a 10 second time difference between the two - I started the app first and stopped it last, but that doesn't explain the difference in distance. Also, according the the app last night I burned 210 calories, according to my watch I burned 815 calories. Today's calories were closer 420 according to the app, 466 for the watch. I wear the chest strap for the watch so I'd say it's more accurate, but that's a huge difference for biking yesterday.

bethram

Beth, a few weeks ago, a friend joked with me when we were going out for a 9ish mile trail run with a lot of climbing. He said, "My god, you look like you are about to cross a desert". He didnt even carry any water. That was crazy in my book. I always carry about twice what I need, but you never know if someone else will need something in an emergency.

Sunday, I drank 50oz's of fluids in 2 hours. That is a little high for me, but I never felt bloated, so I was doing right I guess.

The funny thing is that I wear a 1.7 liter Camelbak when I go biking, but I never carry water when I run. I think I drank just over 5 liters yesterday and I just sucked down another liter after I ran just now, so I don't think I need to worry about dehydration. I need to get myself a water bottle to run with (with a strap) because I don't think it would be fun to run with my Camelbak, it just seems that they are way overpriced. I've been looking at something like this because I don't want to wear a belt.

That's a good point you made about carrying extra in case someone else needs it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom