What did you do?

Banzai

It's day 4 of my altitude acclimation so I settled for a brisk 3 mile walk. Defiinitely feeling improvement. Will try a light run tomorrow morning
@Sumrdog Paddleboarding in those lakes? I'd freeze but I love boarding

Sumrdog

It's day 4 of my altitude acclimation so I settled for a brisk 3 mile walk. Defiinitely feeling improvement. Will try a light run tomorrow morning
@Sumrdog Paddleboarding in those lakes? I'd freeze but I love boarding
Yes the water is brisk! Luckily it's almost 80 out today and I didn't fall in! My kids are nuts they swam and frolicked for 3 solid hours...I drug them out with blue lips.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Missed the gym this Tuesday. Storms came through last night and knocked the power out for a bit, lost alarm clock setting. Dang it! Ill have to make it up somehow.

Ariel484

Yesterday was lifting...decreased the reps, added a set and increased the weight on everything. I also attempted to do Ab Ripper X and was able to complete maybe 30-40% of the reps. :oops: I feel sore everywhere!

Today was 3 miles with 3 intervals of hill repeats, which (I think) are getting better.

Texas84

Missed the gym this Tuesday. Storms came through last night and knocked the power out for a bit, lost alarm clock setting. Dang it! Ill have to make it up somehow.

My cable box was frozen at 0500 this morning thanks to those storms. Unplugging fixed it. First world problems. :)

Yesterday I started my very first training day for the Princess half marathon in 2015. Since I've got weight to lose so I'm starting slow and conditioning myself by getting my fitness endurance up in general. I did day one of this program:
https://www.digitalrunning.com/couch-to-half-marathon-plan/

It actually went really well. I felt full of energy and the jog itself was very manageable. I had to hold myself back from pushing myself a little harder because I didn't want to go nuts and then burn out on day 1;) .

Today on my "off" day I did some cross training via swimming laps.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Yesterday I started my very first training day for the Princess half marathon in 2015. Since I've got weight to lose so I'm starting slow and conditioning myself by getting my fitness endurance up in general. I did day one of this program:

It actually went really well. I felt full of energy and the jog itself was very manageable. I had to hold myself back from pushing myself a little harder because I didn't want to go nuts and then burn out on day 1;) .

Good luck in the plan. Also, I love seeing this (bolded). Running shape is not swim shape, but swim shape makes running shape even better. Love swimming.

Banzai

Did my first light run at elevation. Kept it to 30 minutes of just a 20/40sec run/walk and it didn't feel too bad. I'll try another light run tomorrow then see about pushing things up. I'm actually really pleased with that. I had visions of struggling to get anything going. This will work out OK

Good luck in the plan. Also, I love seeing this (bolded). Running shape is not swim shape, but swim shape makes running shape even better. Love swimming.
Thanks! Yeah I've been poring over information from all over regarding running, running nutrition, conditioning, etc. and every where I read I see that cross-training is the way to go for fitness and it's general effect on your body so that your running is improved. What with my desire to also lose weight, I want to make sure I'm incorporating things on those off days. I'd like to add in more HIIT style training as well (both cardio and weight training).

Ariel484

Sounds like a great first run! :) I've never seen that training plan before...I like how it has you add distance and change intervals at the same time.

Question...you're planning on the half in 2015 right? If so, I wonder if it might be better for you to just focus on getting used to running/cross training x number of days and then starting your plan 24 weeks before the race (so fall 2014 or whatever). Just a thought. :)

Sounds like a great first run! :) I've never seen that training plan before...I like how it has you add distance and change intervals at the same time.

Question...you're planning on the half in 2015 right? If so, I wonder if it might be better for you to just focus on getting used to running/cross training x number of days and then starting your plan 24 weeks before the race (so fall 2014 or whatever). Just a thought. :)
Yeah I was up in the air on that. Right now I'm training on a treadmill, so I thought about doing that just to condition myself in general, and then try taking it outdoors as I hear that is a totally different ball of running wax ;). Or, I might extend some of those weeks into two-3 week sessions rather than right into the next. I don't want to rush and I do have time. I was in okay shape prior to having my youngest, but I do need to build it back up again. I never was a long distance runner, though. So this is all new territory for me! Any and all insights are definitely welcome!

JillC LI

Welcome to our little neck of the woods. Sounds like a good plan. Good luck to you!

Yes, actually I agree with this as well. I hadn't noticed you said 2015 not 2014.

Ariel484

Yeah I was up in the air on that. Right now I'm training on a treadmill, so I thought about doing that just to condition myself in general, and then try taking it outdoors as I hear that is a totally different ball of running wax ;). Or, I might extend some of those weeks into two-3 week sessions rather than right into the next. I don't want to rush and I do have time. I was in okay shape prior to having my youngest, but I do need to build it back up again. I never was a long distance runner, though. So this is all new territory for me! Any and all insights are definitely welcome!

Maybe set your sights on a fall 10K for now. You'll want to submit a 10K time to Disney for corral placement when you register for the race. :) And yes, treadmill --> outdoors can be a tough transition, but outdoors is sooooo much better (in my opinion).

That sounds like a great plan. I do have myself registered for two 5ks coming up in August and in September. I'll find a 10K to aim for, for after that. As an aside, I am just starting in on reading your trip reports for your Disney marathons. :D

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Back to the grind yesterday. Taking it slow. Legs are still shaky and I lost a lot of muscle mass. It was recommended that I take 4-6 weeks off after running 460 miles straight. I took two weeks off, but being careful.

Here is the report again on the new blogger site. More to come...
imperialultrarunning.blogspot.com

Kristia

Welcome to the group and good luck with your training! I also agree with @Ariel484. Since you aren't planning to do the half until 2015, maybe just concentrate on 5ks and 10ks until you need to add the endurance. Unless of course you decide you like it so much that you want to do a half before the Princess. Although a lot of people say they want a Disney marathon to be thier first, feel free to try another half before the Princess. I think 10 milers and half marathons are now my favorite distance. I also echo the advice of getting a 10k or further under your belt so that you have a time to get a better corral placement. Good luck!

bethram

I finally slept decently and didn't have foot/ankle pain upon waking so I got up and ran 3.9 miles at 8:33. My foot is still sore, but at least it didn't hurt too bad to do anything and now I've got ice on it.

I irritated it Sunday morning on the advanced mountain bike trial "planting" (as I call it) with that foot whenever I needed stability so I didn't fall/slide/whatever. Once I realized it was making that ankle hurt, I tried to plant more with my left foot, but it's hard to not automatically use your dominant side.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom