What did you do?

Sumrdog

@Sumrdog - I guess I will hold off any plans for me to climb Mt McKinley in the future seeing how poorly I reacted to running up that hill at 1200 ft. :p

As I understand it, the closer you are to sea level the more difficult it can feel to acclimate to any elevation. And if you add any other factors like allegies, a head wind, a hill climb, that 3-4% can seem like a lot more. I think you could still be a mountaineer :)

I think the reason it doesn't affect me is because I run so slowly anyway, its like I am at a brisk walk by some standards ;)

Sumrdog

Doesn't the Nike Team in Oregon (Kara Goucher, Shalane Flanagan, etc.) live in a simulated high altitude environment? I think I read that somewhere...at any rate I am apparently living at about 580 ft above sea level (98% oxygen available per the calculator from @Sumrdog) so yeah...I'd pretty much die if I tried to run in Denver or Alaska. o_O

I think you would acclimate pretty quickly :)

I am going to New England to visit my family in August and now I am really curious to see if I feel any different on my long runs while I am there...I felt good during the PHM, but with my stress fracture I was way off my normal pace, so I honestly can't rate my performance with that extra 10% of available oxygen.

GoofyRacer11

Spent 9 hours working on my aunt's roof, which will take the rest of the weekend to finish. When I got home I did 300 squats, 200 pushups, and 100 pullups!

bethram

Went to the bike park this evening. Rode about 3.1 miles on the path with the kids, then another 2.5 on the trails by myself. I'm hoping to get more mountain biking in this weekend.

Texas84

Peach Festival 5K in Fort Valley, Georgia this morning. Nice flat course through old neighborhoods. 9:48 pace. A bit slow but I'll take it. Felt good. I was disappointed to learn the Peach Festival actually ended last weekend. Was hoping for some post-race peach cobbler or peach ice cream. Oh well.

So that topped off my first Hidgon week, 4 days, 3 miles each. One more 5K then I start bumping up the mileage.

bethram

5.2 miles this morning at 8:34 overall pace.

I went to see the massage therapist at my chiropractor and she confirmed that my foot pain is from the fall from my mountain bike on Memorial Day. She said that when I twisted my ankle under my bike I pulled the muscle that runs from the ball of the foot past the ankle to just below the knee. She worked on it for half our session and I've got another appointment with her next Saturday and told DH that he needs to massage my foot :D I'm glad to know it's nothing more serious!

Ariel484

@Texas84 - Nice 5K pace, especially after just getting stated with the new training plan. Sorry about the peaches. :( Congrats on making it through week 1 of Higdon!

@bethram - Glad to hear the good news from your chiropractor...I hope you start feeling some relief soon!

--------------------------------------------------

11-mile long run for me today @ 11:14, which is 49 seconds slower than my goal marathon race pace. It was one of those runs where everything went about as well as I could have hoped, so I'm pretty happy with it.

Happy running everyone! :)

Sumrdog

5.5 miles at 11:10 pace it was a little slower than I hoped, but it was pretty hot out; 65 and sunny ...Well hot for me. I like to go earlier than I did this am, when its still in the 40's. I know all of you running in the south are probably laughing at my heat intolerance...

Sounds like a lot of happy running went on today for everyone :)

a2grafix

Here's a feat I will likely never do a again, Well, maybe if the stars align. I ran a little over 3 miles along a walking trail and inside a wood trail at Rainstein Air Base in Western Germany Friday afternoon before my flight back to the States. After a nearly 10-hour flight across the Atlantic and after staying up 21.5 hours I made it in time to run the 17th annual Gibson Guitar 5K, which starts and finishes just off Beale Street in Downtown Memphis.

Didn't care about the time but got into a groove. It was hot as hell. Reminded me of the 2012 Tower of Terror 10 miler. About 89-90F at start, moderate humidity, little wind. Friday in Ramstein I ran in 20 percent humidity, about 64F. Only stopped briefly after running up the Beale Street hill from the Mississippi River. Still crossed the finish line in 32:47, for about a 10:34 split. Finally pushed myself to the limit and crashed around 9pm Memphis time. Suddenly woke up at 3am local, which was 10am German Summer local. An experience.

Banzai

Here's a feat I will likely never do a again, Well, maybe if the stars align. I ran a little over 3 miles along a walking trail and inside a wood trail at Rainstein Air Base in Western Germany Friday afternoon before my flight back to the States. After a nearly 10-hour flight across the Atlantic and after staying up 21.5 hours I made it in time to run the 17th annual Gibson Guitar 5K, which starts and finishes just off Beale Street in Downtown Memphis.

Didn't care about the time but got into a groove. It was hot as hell. Reminded me of the 2012 Tower of Terror 10 miler. About 89-90F at start, moderate humidity, little wind. Friday in Ramstein I ran in 20 percent humidity, about 64F. Only stopped briefly after running up the Beale Street hill from the Mississippi River. Still crossed the finish line in 32:47, for about a 10:34 split. Finally pushed myself to the limit and crashed around 9pm Memphis time. Suddenly woke up at 3am local, which was 10am German Summer local. An experience.
SERIOUS PROPS. BTW, I'm retired AF.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
10 miles this morning. Happy Fathers Day to me. :D Ankle doing better with some serious anti inflammatory.

I have noticed that splitting time with the Triathlon training, I have gotten myself out of long run shape. Isnt near as easy as it should be. Probably some the heat, some the chest cold, but mostly the 2 days focus on other things. Time to change that.

Kristia

Good running to everyone this weekend! I didn't really have access to internet this weekend, so I didn't get to comment on everyone's great runs.

I was out in central PA to visit my aunt. We planned the visit to coincide with a little festival that they have in her town. The festival also hosts a 5k that uses their "rails to trails" trail. It is a nice LITTLE race (20-30 people). We did it once before about 3 years ago. I ran it in 30:38. Not too shabby for a slightly hilly course! Most of the people who run this are serious runners and I think I was about 5 or 6 people from the end but that's ok since I beat my time by 2 minutes from the previous run.

This weekend was supposed to be a 7 mile run according to my Higdon plan. Instead, after the 5k, we hiked up to "Flat Rock". It is a hiking trail in Colonel Denning State Park. 2.1 mile trail to the lookout over the valley, 1362 ft elevation gain. Definitely a good workout and I don't feel the least bit guilty in not getting the run in. Still did 7 miles overall and I felt like I worked harder than I would have during a run!

bethram

In honor of Father's Day yesterday DH and I dropped the kids off with the in-laws and we went mountain biking, his favorite. We did about 5.5 miles an advanced trail with his Sunday morning ride group, cleaned up, went birthday shopping for DS (another reason for dropping off the kids), grabbed some lunch, then went to a different park and rode 7.75 miles on intermediate trails before we picked up the kids.

Needless to say, I didn't feel like getting up early this morning to do a Tapout workout before taking DD to camp. I'll probably do something later today but I don't know what.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
4.5 miles this morning. Getting back into 4 days a week run, 1 day lifting weights and 1 day swim. Slowly increasing to higher miles.

The doctor suggested RICE and 2 weeks off. In the words of Sweet Brown:
cm-30819-3509d6ea78c037.gif

I suggested 2 weeks of meds.

I won.

Sumrdog

6.3 miles at 10:47...I am happy with that. Now we are off to the lake with the Stand up paddle board. Work week starts tomorrow, and my daughter gets her tonsil's out Wednesday, so I am anticipating a rough few days after that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom