What did you do?

Texas84

Great to hear everyone is OK. Hang in there. I went to high school in Delaware for two years and all of my old friends have checked in.

Kristia

Glad to hear everyone is safe! I know a few people who had major damage to their homes but in the grand scheme of things, stuff is just stuff and houses can be fixed (hopefully).

LindsayLoves

Has anyone heard from @LindsayLoves ? (How do you do that tag thing?? EDIT: Nevermind, it worked.) She is in NYC also. She and Jill have been giving me advice/tips on NYC for the Marathon.

I'm a little astounded that they are still going to try to pull off the Marathon. My husband is all anxious about getting up there (via Amtrak). We're going to look into MegaBus to get up there. I think my sight-seeing plans might be out the window, and I don't know how he will be getting from mid-Manhattan to Staten Island for the start of the race.

Hi all! Just wanted to check in and say that myself and my family are ok, luckily we have high ground in Queens so no flooding or power issues. I have been working since Monday morning staying at a hotel in the city on Monday and Tuesday so I could actually make it there with the lack of trains and bridge closures. It is great to be back home and to have things kind of returning to normal. Glad to hear that folks from the boards are safe and sound.

The park has seen better days and luckily people are actually following the rules and keeping out to let us clean up. There is a ton to do, lots of large uprooted trees and dangerous hanging limbs all over the place. I can say they are definitely continuing with marathon set up, they were setting up a med-tent this evening when I left near 73rd St - all the bleachers were up and ready to go before the storm hit. The mayor says its still a go but with all the devastation in Staten Island I would be super let down if they simply focused their efforts on cleaning up the marathon start area over peoples homes.

GoofyRacer11

I had my last fundamentals class this evening. The WOD was the same as the first day, this way I can see hoe much I improved. But first my warmup was a 1000 meter row and 15 squats. Then I did a strength assessment on deadlifts, in which I set a new PR of 155 lbs. The WOD itself consisted of a 200 meter run, squats, pushups, inverted rows and finished off with another 200 meter run. The squats, pushups, and inverted rows were done in 3 sets with the following reps: 15-12-9. On my first day I completed this WOD in 7 minutes and 1 second. Today I finished it in 5 minutes and 27 seconds. Now I'm a full fledged Cross-Fitter and looking forward to Friday's workout.

Mr mom

5+ miles this morning. It was 38 and fabulous. No wind.
"Welcome to Birmingham Inte

That's cool weather. We are still over 50, thanks to the heat of Sandy lingering on in our area but the rain has stopped. put in a full workout and another 13.1 miles. In a few days I expect we will be back to low 30's.

JillC LI

First run today since Sunday. Saw from foot all the devastation to our neighborhood from fallen trees primarily. Did 4 miles of intervals. Then drove over to my dad's house where there is hot water to shower. I can't bear ice cold showers.

Lindsay, I'm glad you're OK.

JillC LI

Good to hear you are ok. I have heard from Nick and Coryna. Nick has major damage and flooding to his house. Coryna has no house damage. Both are healthy and families are ok. We havent heard from Jill. I dont have her contact info. I think her area got nailed too.

Joel - what are the updates on Nick and Coryna?

Mickey&Minnie

I am glad that everybody is safe and sound. Sandy sure has packed a wallop!

Today I registered for my 2nd half ever. It is here in town this Saturday. That's right I waited till the last minute to register, but I was always going to do it. I am just lazy when it comes to registering for local races and always seem to wait till the last minute online registration closes today). I have been sick with a cold since last Friday so I haven't been doing any running. I am going to go for a little run tonight just so that I can stretch my shoes out some more and then from now on I am working on hydration since it may be a little warm Saturday.

Safe running everyone!!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
That's cool weather. We are still over 50, thanks to the heat of Sandy lingering on in our area but the rain has stopped. put in a full workout and another 13.1 miles. In a few days I expect we will be back to low 30's.
Lows for the weekend creep back up towards 50. Errrrr. Ill probably do 13 Saturday morning and I wanted 30's again. I just LOVE cold weather running. It is so nice on the body and so much less stress. IMHO.
Joel - what are the updates on Nick and Coryna?
Nick's house was flooded pretty bad in the basement. House will survive. He said appliances all gone and anything else in the basement. He said the ocean came in like a river. I bet that was really scary.

Coryna just had some neighborhood damage. I think their proper was/is fine. Maybe some limbs. No house damage from what I remember. No power for either person. Bad cell service obviously. Nick was still running pumps to get the water out of the basement last I heard.

Both are healthy and the worst part is that they are probably having to take cold showers if they have water service. I think both do.

That is all I know.

joel_maxwell

Is it to early to make jokes about Nick running anything less than 20 miles? ......

Cue the Crickets......

Glad to hear that it sounds like beyond damaged physical goods, no one suffered any real harm.
I think Nick might get a little smile from that. I see some parallels.

5 feet of water, 50 mile runs, training for 500 mile run. The power of 5. Hmmmmm.

joel_maxwell

Went to the gym this morning to swim. Pool was closed due to the heater malfunctioning and it creating too much fog in the bubble.

I didnt think lifting weights instead in a jammer and flip flops was smart. So I went home. Damn, I could have slept in a little.

JillC LI

Had my best ever 3 mile time today. 30:09! Garmin satellites were really off today so it was tough to tell what my splits were.

Congratulations!

I didnt think lifting weights instead in a jammer and flip flops was smart.

LOL.

Thanks for the update on Nick and Coryna. Sounds like Nick was really hit hard. As for me, our house is still in the dark, getting colder and colder. Some people in the neighborhood have gas and can operate their stoves or get hot water, but we don't. As soon as the sun goes down, it's pitch black, cold, and rather unbearable. And starting Sunday, the sun will be going down an hour earlier! Sigh. I pray the schools reopen Monday, for the kids' sake.

Tomorrow morning I'm going for a long run, and my hubby is taking the kids to play paddleball, then we're all going to show up on my dad's front steps smelly and sweaty and asking for hot showers! Won't be able to get back online until I'm back at work on Monday.

Mr mom

( Joel said)
Lows for the weekend creep back up towards 50. Errrrr. Ill probably do 13 Saturday morning and I wanted 30's again. I just LOVE cold weather running. It is so nice on the body and so much less stress. IMHO.

Cooler weather I can handle but I don't like the ice and snow temps, i find the really cold air takes my breath away, that and frostbite of course.

Good end to my run week, a full workout and another 14.9 miles... 65.2 miles in for the week

Kristia

Congratulations!

LOL.

Thanks for the update on Nick and Coryna. Sounds like Nick was really hit hard. As for me, our house is still in the dark, getting colder and colder. Some people in the neighborhood have gas and can operate their stoves or get hot water, but we don't. As soon as the sun goes down, it's pitch black, cold, and rather unbearable. And starting Sunday, the sun will be going down an hour earlier! Sigh. I pray the schools reopen Monday, for the kids' sake.

Tomorrow morning I'm going for a long run, and my hubby is taking the kids to play paddleball, then we're all going to show up on my dad's front steps smelly and sweaty and asking for hot showers! Won't be able to get back online until I'm back at work on Monday.
Ugh! Hopefully you get your power back really soon! Do they have an estimated time for your restoration?

JillC LI

Ugh! Hopefully you get your power back really soon! Do they have an estimated time for your restoration?

They said "most places" will have power restored by NEXT weekend (11/10), but some will be up to 2 weeks. I will likely be near the end because they are trying to repair the power lines that will bring vast blocks of houses back on line, and the damn tree that tore the power line in my backyard only affects me and my 2 neighbors.

Calgon take me away!
(As I typed that I wondered if everyone on this forum was old enough to get the reference! Thinking that made me feel old! LOL)

joel_maxwell

Cooler weather I can handle but I don't like the ice and snow temps, i find the really cold air takes my breath away, that and frostbite of course.

Good end to my run week, a full workout and another 14.9 miles... 65.2 miles in for the week
It is almost like 32 down here is worse up north at 32. Probably since there are harsher conditions that come with the 32 up north. I might be way off base. LOL

Kristia

They said "most places" will have power restored by NEXT weekend (11/10), but some will be up to 2 weeks. I will likely be near the end because they are trying to repair the power lines that will bring vast blocks of houses back on line, and the damn tree that tore the power line in my backyard only affects me and my 2 neighbors.

Calgon take me away!
(As I typed that I wondered if everyone on this forum was old enough to get the reference! Thinking that made me feel old! LOL)
Wow that is bad news. :( I will hope they overestimated for you. I think they do that sometimes so that when you get it on quicker you are really happy and relieved. If they take longer than people are calling them complaining. I have heard that in Jersey, they hoped to have most restored by this weekend besides the really devastated areas.

And yes...I am old enough to get that reference! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom