What did you do?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
3 miles this morning. Should have been at the Y so i could run and lift today, but I woke up late, so there was no time to make it there and have time to lift. So, I ran in 39 degree weather with a 10 mph wind.

It was awesome. Yea, for over sleeping and not being indoors running on a track.

Mr mom

A drizzlie 6.4 miles and my workout, felt like doing a lot more but had no time. Kudos to Nick on his 50 miles, that is a long run. As to the storm, we are going to get rain and a bit of wind here but so far not calling for more, your east coast will take the steam out of it before it hits us. I have my generator on standby just in case though.

dreamfinder

Somehow the gym had power this AM, so a 45 minute bike ride for cross training. Hope everyone else is safe and made it through the storm relatively unscathed.

Mr mom

I hope everyone is safe, your east coast is taking quite a battering. we had some drizzle and some nasty wind gusts so far but that is it. I did not feel like doing anything today for some reason but my will power is stronger.. a full workout and 14.2 miles.

joel_maxwell

Cycled and mild lifted this morning at the Y. I am enjoying lifting again. It has been about 3 years since i last picked up the dumbbells. Once I started running, I just did a little core work, but no lifting.

Waiting on Nick @Donald Duck and Coryna @fmingo36 to text back they are ok. Im sure the cell towers and power is a factor.

@Fievel Brad, I hope you have chains for your running shoes. Looks like snow is heading your way.

Mr mom

Cycled and mild lifted this morning at the Y. I am enjoying lifting again. It has been about 3 years since i last picked up the dumbbells. Once I started running, I just did a little core work, but no lifting.

Waiting on Nick @Donald Duck and Coryna @fmingo36 to text back they are ok. Im sure the cell towers and power is a factor.

@Fievel Brad, I hope you have chains for your running shoes. Looks like snow is heading your way.

Lots of power outages in their areas I think and I am glad Brad is getting the snow and not me, I run in it but i don't look forward to it, I have pull on cleats for my sneakers for the really icy days but they throw off your balance etc and you still risk nasty injuries.

Kristia

Did 3.95 miles @ 10:49 pace. Would have done my normal 4 miles but cut it a little short since we ran into the river a little early. The Mullica River is at the end of our street 1.5 miles away. There is a road with houses that runs along the river and the houses on that road were totally flooded. We couldn't get to the end of my road. I took some pics of the area. Check them out if you are friends with me on facebook! My area was not devastated but the Jersey shore looks like a war zone. Very sad.

dreamfinder

Today was about 5 3/4. 10 min warmup, 2x1200@6:22/mi, w/2min RI, 3x800@6:08/mi, w/2min RI, 10 min cooldown. Still amazed watching the news while running, seeing how much damage this storm did. Yikes.

joel_maxwell

Lots of power outages in their areas I think and I am glad Brad is getting the snow and not me, I run in it but i don't look forward to it, I have pull on cleats for my sneakers for the really icy days but they throw off your balance etc and you still risk nasty injuries.
I have gotten a nasty injury from running in the snow. Well, down here it is usually sleet and ice. So that day is was a lot of both. Being stubborn, i had to get that 5 mile run in or i thought the end of the world was coming. Couldn't run for 2 weeks after that. Lesson learned.

joel_maxwell

Did 3.95 miles @ 10:49 pace. Would have done my normal 4 miles but cut it a little short since we ran into the river a little early. The Mullica River is at the end of our street 1.5 miles away. There is a road with houses that runs along the river and the houses on that road were totally flooded. We couldn't get to the end of my road. I took some pics of the area. Check them out if you are friends with me on facebook! My area was not devastated but the Jersey shore looks like a war zone. Very sad.
Good to hear you are ok. I have heard from Nick and Coryna. Nick has major damage and flooding to his house. Coryna has no house damage. Both are healthy and families are ok. We havent heard from Jill. I dont have her contact info. I think her area got nailed too.

Witchy Chick

Sorry I haven't checked in since 5K Saturday. Things have been a little busy in my neck of the woods (Maryland) with Hurricane Sandy. Fortunately, we all came through unscathed. A tree came down in my neighbor's yard, but it landed in the yard -- no damage to her house or new porch. My parents are without power/heat and stayed with us last night.

Good job! Sometimes you just have those days when you need to walk more than you want. It will get better the longer you train. How did the knees hold up?

Knees held up well, thanks for asking. They're a little sore the past couple days -- probably overdid it, battening down the hatches for Sandy. No running for me since Saturday -- and none tonight with taking the kiddos trick-or-treating. Gotta get back on the TM tomorrow night.

Was able to get in the 17 mile run today before the storm starts making its way in tomorrow. This was the longest run we have done since the Disney Marathon in 2011. The last two miles were rough but we did it! Managed to finish with an average pace of 11:53 min/mile.

Excellent job!!!

Traffic was out of control this morning. Everyone must have been late for church after all the Halloween parties. My neighborhood is posted 25 mph everywhere and cars were zipping by me at 60-70. I had to dodge at least 6 cars who probably didn't see me or just didn't care.

UGH. Sorry to hear that.

50 miles yesterday before the hurricane.

Post pics later!

Rock star!!!

Ran a Haunted 1/2 Marathon on Saturday! Set a PR for myself and finished in 2:15 at 10:20 pace per mile!!!

Very cool!! Some coworkers did a Run for your Life last Saturday. They posted a pic on Facebook, and I commented "Cool -- none of you are zombies." hahhaaa

Cell towers in NJ are definitely a problem. Coworker of mine up there has only been able to place two calls since Sandy blew through. :(

Good to hear you are ok. I have heard from Nick and Coryna. Nick has major damage and flooding to his house. Coryna has no house damage. Both are healthy and families are ok. We havent heard from Jill. I dont have her contact info. I think her area got nailed too.

Glad to hear that Nick and Coryna checked in. I hope the damage to Nick's house is not too bad. I think Jill's area (Long Island) got hit pretty hard. Long Island, Queens, and Brooklyn look pretty bad. Hope she is able to check in soon.

Has anyone heard from @LindsayLoves ? (How do you do that tag thing?? EDIT: Nevermind, it worked.) She is in NYC also. She and Jill have been giving me advice/tips on NYC for the Marathon.

I'm a little astounded that they are still going to try to pull off the Marathon. My husband is all anxious about getting up there (via Amtrak). We're going to look into MegaBus to get up there. I think my sight-seeing plans might be out the window, and I don't know how he will be getting from mid-Manhattan to Staten Island for the start of the race.

Mr mom

Glad everyone is ok, thus far, sorry to hear about Nick's house damage, that sucks but being healthy is more important.

A lot wetter and more windy today, I got soaked so bad I should have taken soap and got my shower and run together. I now have friction burns to both nipples, ugh. Once you are wet , what the hell.. keep running. So I did 16.6 miles and my abdominals.

JillC LI

Sorry I haven't checked in since 5K Saturday. Things have been a little busy in my neck of the woods (Maryland) with Hurricane Sandy. Fortunately, we all came through unscathed. A tree came down in my neighbor's yard, but it landed in the yard -- no damage to her house or new porch. My parents are without power/heat and stayed with us last night.

Glad to hear that Nick and Coryna checked in. I hope the damage to Nick's house is not too bad. I think Jill's area (Long Island) got hit pretty hard. Long Island, Queens, and Brooklyn look pretty bad. Hope she is able to check in soon.

Has anyone heard from @LindsayLoves ? (How do you do that tag thing?? EDIT: Nevermind, it worked.) She is in NYC also. She and Jill have been giving me advice/tips on NYC for the Marathon.

I'm a little astounded that they are still going to try to pull off the Marathon. My husband is all anxious about getting up there (via Amtrak). We're going to look into MegaBus to get up there. I think my sight-seeing plans might be out the window, and I don't know how he will be getting from mid-Manhattan to Staten Island for the start of the race.

Hi everyone. Thanks for thinking of me. My family is doing OK. Our area got hit hard (near the south shore of Long Island). A mile south of us, houses are filled with 11 feet of water. A few houses on the coast got washed away. We have no power, phone, internet, or blackberry, and cell phone service is spotty at best. Power is not expected to be restored to my area for up to two weeks. However, I consider myself lucky because we had no water damage or tree damage ourselves. Our neighbor's tree came down on the power line in our yard and now there are exposed wires right by our wooden fence which scares me to death for when the power is restored to that line. Only a handful of restaurants are open in our area, and the lines are 200+ people long. I don't know what they're going to do when they run out of food. We have enough water and peanut butter and other non-perishables to live on, but it's not fun. School is cancelled the whole week and the kids are going nuts with no TV or computers or video games. I am back at work today where I have power and phone and internet finally, so I was able to check in here.

I got in a 10 mile run just before the storm hit, but I haven't been able to run since then. Our neighborhood looks like a demolition zone with trees and power lines down all over. No treadmill obviously. And showers are ice cold. But everyone I know and love is safe which is all that matters. Glad to hear that everyone else in our little running community survived the storm safely as well. I was worried they would cancel the NYC Marathon this weekend, but I am actually glad they are not. We have a family friend who would hve freaked out if all her training for her first marathon was for naught. But if people cannot travel to get here, they are allowing deferral until next year. Stay safe everyone.

joel_maxwell

I think Nick has some pretty bad damage, but Ill let him explain and check in when he can (unless he tells me to do it)

Im glad they are going forth with the run. As long as emergency personnel, electricity and water are present, and no immediately structural damage, Im with Mayor Bloomberg, the NYC marathon shows the vitality and spirit of the city. New Yorkers love this race. Yes, it will be a logistic nightmare, but going and supporting the city is what it is about. Go spend some tourist dollars. Im sure small businesses could use the help with damage. The airports look like they are getting back on their feet and I know the city would love the energy.

That is just my Positive Pollyanna outlook.

joel_maxwell

Hi everyone. Thanks for thinking of me. My family is doing OK. Our area got hit hard (near the south shore of Long Island). A mile south of us, houses are filled with 11 feet of water. A few houses on the coast got washed away. We have no power, phone, internet, or blackberry, and cell phone service is spotty at best. Power is not expected to be restored to my area for up to two weeks. However, I consider myself lucky because we had no water damage or tree damage ourselves. Our neighbor's tree came down on the power line in our yard and now there are exposed wires right by our wooden fence which scares me to death for when the power is restored to that line. Only a handful of restaurants are open in our area, and the lines are 200+ people long. I don't know what they're going to do when they run out of food. We have enough water and peanut butter and other non-perishables to live on, but it's not fun. School is cancelled the whole week and the kids are going nuts with no TV or computers or video games. I am back at work today where I have power and phone and internet finally, so I was able to check in here.

I got in a 10 mile run just before the storm hit, but I haven't been able to run since then. Our neighborhood looks like a demolition zone with trees and power lines down all over. No treadmill obviously. And showers are ice cold. But everyone I know and love is safe which is all that matters. Glad to hear that everyone else in our little running community survived the storm safely as well. I was worried they would cancel the NYC Marathon this weekend, but I am actually glad they are not. We have a family friend who would hve freaked out if all her training for her first marathon was for naught. But if people cannot travel to get here, they are allowing deferral until next year. Stay safe everyone.
*sigh of relief* Glad yall are ok. Thanks for checking in.

Do I need to parachute in some food, and especially wine, with the kids being home all week. :)

Coming from a local, Im glad Im not off base with my outlook on the NYC marathon. I know being in the middle of everything, you would have a true outlook. Since people from around the world come to run this, it might bring a lot more aid and attention to it as well.

joel_maxwell

Glad everyone is ok, thus far, sorry to hear about Nick's house damage, that sucks but being healthy is more important.

A lot wetter and more windy today, I got soaked so bad I should have taken soap and got my shower and run together. I now have friction burns to both nipples, ugh. Once you are wet , what the hell.. keep running. So I did 16.6 miles and my abdominals.
I hate when that happens. Only happen to me once or twice, but once is too many. Way to press on.

Witchy Chick

Jill -- glad you checked in and are safe!!

I am very interested to see if the Marathon actually happens. I've been reading some comments in NY Times and such from folks who are flabbergasted that they would even try to keep the Marathon as scheduled. Many many locals without homes, power, transportation. One commenter even suggested food sent in for runners (bagels, bananas, water, etc) be donated to those affected by Sandy. A number of comments that resources used for Marathon (police, etc) would be better served to provide assistance to those affected by Sandy.

On one hand, I think holding the Marathon is very much a "you can't keep us down" morale-booster. On the other.....it might just backfire into a public relations nightmare.

I guess we'll see.

JillC LI

*sigh of relief* Glad yall are ok. Thanks for checking in.

Do I need to parachute in some food, and especially wine, with the kids being home all week. :)

LOL, thanks Joel. Ironically, I'm back at work today, but my hubby is with the kids! He has no power in his dental office and cannot work, but he also has limited phone service so he cannot reach most patients. So he is sitting in his office today turning away the handful of crazy patients who actually show up. And he's got the kids with him, in the dark, with no tv, and power diminshing on their handheld devices. I'm definitely having a better day than he is today, or than he will likely have tomorrow or Friday. He can probably use the wine (maybe vodka) more than me! I'm going to head home early today so I can at least take the kids trick-or-treating at a few neighbors' homes where it is safe to walk. They would be so disappointed otherwise.

joel_maxwell

Jill -- glad you checked in and are safe!!

I am very interested to see if the Marathon actually happens. I've been reading some comments in NY Times and such from folks who are flabbergasted that they would even try to keep the Marathon as scheduled. Many many locals without homes, power, transportation. One commenter even suggested food sent in for runners (bagels, bananas, water, etc) be donated to those affected by Sandy. A number of comments that resources used for Marathon (police, etc) would be better served to provide assistance to those affected by Sandy.

On one hand, I think holding the Marathon is very much a "you can't keep us down" morale-booster. On the other.....it might just backfire into a public relations nightmare.

I guess we'll see.
I see both sides. It is a tough call and that is what a Mayor gets paid to do. Blurb from the NYC Times: The New York City Marathon touches all five boroughs and draws 45,000 runners from all over the world. The event attracts more than 2 million spectators and is broadcast internationally. It produces about $340 million in economic activity for the city, according to a study produced by the New York Road Runners, which hosts the event.

$340 million is some major cash
LOL, thanks Joel. Ironically, I'm back at work today, but my hubby is with the kids! He has no power in his dental office and cannot work, but he also has limited phone service so he cannot reach most patients. So he is sitting in his office today turning away the handful of crazy patients who actually show up. And he's got the kids with him, in the dark, with no tv, and power diminshing on their handheld devices. I'm definitely having a better day than he is today, or than he will likely have tomorrow or Friday. He can probably use the wine (maybe vodka) more than me! I'm going to head home early today so I can at least take the kids trick-or-treating at a few neighbors' homes where it is safe to walk. They would be so disappointed otherwise.
Yes, hopefully the kids can T&T tonight to boost a little moral.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict

Latest forecast has a possibility of snow this weekend. However, the first few snows don't "stick" unless it's been under freezing for awhile. It'll look like it's snowing hard, then will melt as soon as it hits the ground.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom