What did you do?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Today - woke up with my entire right leg aching (like a pinched nerve)- ran with my trainer for 2 miles @ 12:24 before my calf muscle gave out on me. Not sure what I did but holy heck it hurts

Sorry to hear that. RICE - rest, ice, compression, elevation. And no running for a few days.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Sorry to hear that. RICE - rest, ice, compression, elevation. And no running for a few days.

indeed. Brought my roller to work with me as well. I'm ok as long as i don't put weight directly on my calf muscle. Feels like someone jabbed it with a long needle.

LAKid53

Premium Member
indeed. Brought my roller to work with me as well. I'm ok as long as i don't put weight directly on my calf muscle. Feels like someone jabbed it with a long needle.

I'd be cautious rolling your calf if it's a muscle strain. Ice it, keep your leg elevated as much as you can. Advil to help with the pain and inflammation. If your calf has swollen, once the swelling goes down, apply heat.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
@DznyGrlSD - don't be so hard on yourself! You've finished a 10k - which is basically half of a half. That's pretty awesome. Ask yourself what you want to achieve with your running. Is it about achieving a particular distance, and if so is it about RUNNING the distance, is it about FINISHING the distance, are you ok with the idea of walking breaks? Is it about achieving a particular time per mile? For a distance? Is your goal realistically attainable for the timeframe or fitness level? Will you be upset if you dial back your goal if you decide that it is not?

As for the C25K, I think the first few weeks of it is great, particularly for someone (like myself) who was never really athletic as it slowly builds up lung and capacity which helps with gaining confidence. But after those initial weeks I felt it ramped up a bit too quickly for someone who is really only just coming off the couch so personally I switched to something else after about week 3.

LAKid53

Premium Member
@LAKid53 I didn't know! But I could have, and should have known.

But i learned my lesson and I will be carefull with my new ones!

I didn't realize it either. Read it when I was doing research on shoe brands to replace Asics. Now you know why my closet was full of athletic shoes..... 😉 I'm now using an older pair of running shoes as my gym shoes and that's how I will recycle them. And the pair of Ghost 10s I purchased in a wide width have become my walking shoes, especially at Disney.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Still nursing my leg.
Last night - hot tub + swam laps for about 20 mins
today - leg a bit better - did QuickFit and non-impact exercises

I'm stuck on the elliptical at least for the weekend - I have a 10k next Saturday the 9th so hopefully I'm recovered!

LAKid53

Premium Member
Still nursing my leg.
Last night - hot tub + swam laps for about 20 mins
today - leg a bit better - did QuickFit and non-impact exercises

I'm stuck on the elliptical at least for the weekend - I have a 10k next Saturday the 9th so hopefully I'm recovered!

Good to hear your leg is recovering. Take it easy during the race - it's not a sprint. 😁

JillC LI

4m on Tuesday.
Today - woke up with my entire right leg aching (like a pinched nerve)- ran with my trainer for 2 miles @ 12:24 before my calf muscle gave out on me. Not sure what I did but holy heck it hurts
Feel better!
Find a rail trail to run on, or a school track. If you usually run mid-day, try to run at dusk (just make sure to have lights/reflective gear). See if a local animal shelter has some rescues that need the exercise and offer to take one of them for a run with you. Join a local running club or see if you local running store/micro brewery has group runs.
These are great suggestions. I've heard about running with dogs - it's good for the dogs and for you. And if you're into beer, the brewery group runs sound really fun. (I'd prefer a chocolate run!)

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Today - 45 mins on the EVILliptical. Still limping a bit and haven't tried any impact workouts yet - I'm supposed to run on Monday so we'll see how that goes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom