What did you do?

JillC LI

Jill-if you can get here, my home is open. If you need some place for the kids to hang out for a few days-I am a great babysitter! We have plenty of electronic devices to keep them busy. I could meet you half-way. Honestly, let me know if I can help in anyway. and Happy Birthday to Lil JillC LI!

You are too sweet. I am so grateful for this little community we have created here that is so supportive in all aspects of life, not just running. While I still have no power at home, late last night my mother's power came on, so we all packed in the darkess and drove over to her house, my mother-in-law in tow as well. It was a joy to sleep in a warm house. So we'll stay there as long as we need to. Of course that comes with its own issues as well. We don't want to leave the pitch black house without a car in the driveway at night for fear of looting, so we left my hubby's car, and I have to drive him to work in the morning. If school resumes tomorrow, I'll also have to drive the kids to and from school plus my own work commute. Ordinarily, all that wouldn't be a problem, but we're trying to conserve every drop of gas after waiting on gas lines for 5 hours this past weekend. But at least we have somewhere warm to sleep and shower now. And Lil Jill C LI (Elissa) had a wonderful and memorable 11th birthday. Thanks again for your generous offer.

Knees-about the same. Hip is just horrible. I thought the break from working out might do it some good but NOPE. :(

That really stinks. Stretching? Ice? (You could stand in my house and get a whole body ice treatment at once! lol)

As for me, I ran 5 miles yesterday. As I passed a gardener who was picking up branches and debris with a huge plastic garbage can, he unknowingly picked that moment to pick up the can and swing it around full force, hitting me square in the thigh. OWWWWW! I finished my run but geez is it sore today.

Witchy Chick

13.25 miles this morning. Really good run. I kept having to slow down to get the benefits of a long run. Came in around 2 hours.

Also, around mile 6, Johnny F'ing Redneck was driving down the street in an old 70's pickup. I got off the road (running against traffic, not on a side walk for about 1000 yards to the next community) and when he started approaching me, he veered towards me and acted like he was going to hit me. I was 2 feet in the gravel grass over from the white line, and he came over the white line almost off the road. He was looking me dead in the eyes so i know it wasnt an accident. I stopped dead in my tracks waiting to see if I was going to have to dive into a ditch to my left which was about 10 feet down. Once he passed me, I figured I needed to communicate to him on his level, so I gave him a very spirited 2 finger salute... and Im not talking about a peace sign.

Jerk! Next time, Im getting tag numbers. I have seen him before.

Yikes. That is awful. Hope you can get tag numbers (safely) and bust this human excrement. :mad:

They are out there. My driver's Ed teacher always told us assume every driver is an idiot.

Driver Ed was over 25 years ago for me, and I still subscribe to this theory. :p

I'm back. Thanks to Joel for checking in and giving a quick update.

Nutshell: neighborhood is destroyed. My basement is destroyed, but friends and neighbors lost their entire houses.

Working all week cleaning and working with contractors to repair my house and replace appliances.

Yes, Joel is right when he quoted me: F the NYC marathon. Not the time to take cops away from real work, and to host thousands of people during this s--t.

I'm ready to run at least 50 miles tomorrow for fun. Then another 50, and another 50, and another 50...
If you thought I was a machine before, lookout, ultra distance will be obsolete.

Good to hear from you!! I'm so sorry about your house and your friends/neighbors' houses. As for the Marathon, up until early afternoon Friday, my husband was still coming up. :eek: I, however, was livid about the generators sitting in C Park for the Marathon media tent, thinking of pallets and pallets of bottled water and Gatorade, Power Bars, etc that could assist victims of Sandy. Livid. So, I basically told DH if he was going to NY, he would be going solo. He emailed me that he (finally) thought the right thing to do was defer to next year. Well, duh..... ;) Jill and Lindsay -- thanks for all the help/advice, we'll see you in 2013!!

Hi Everyone!

I'm BACK! Power was restored at 3:13 am. It was not a fun 5 days without power/heat but I have to say I had it easy compared to a lot of other folks in the area. We had crazy winds that took down many trees/wires but luckily we did not have the rain so no flooding issues. One small part of our fence was destroyed but that was it. I think the hardest part (other than the cold) was not being able to communicate with everyone. I have gotten very fond of you on this board and I was worried about how everyone else in the area was doing. And to those that are in the area and still have no power -The MINGO MOTEL is open for business--hot showers, warm meals, Sunday afternoon football and plenty of Halloween candy (hubby says discounted rates apply ;) ) .
If anyone needs anything please let me know!

Obviously no workouts for me other than a little yoga moves, here & there. Oh, and raking -LOTS and LOTS of raking.

Good to hear from you too!!!

Knees-about the same. Hip is just horrible. I thought the break from working out might do it some good but NOPE. :(

Dislike!!

I have not done any running since the 5K on the 27th. I've been lazy -- and now seem to be coming down with a cold. Blech.

I'm looking at a 1.4 mile run through Christmas lights next weekend (Nov 17). The Christmas Lights thing is a drive through, and I bought a Groupon for it this year. Looking at schedule, whatever -- I stumbled over this Dazzle Dash. Sounds like fun, and 1.4 shouldn't hurt me too bad. LOL

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Yikes. That is awful. Hope you can get tag numbers (safely) and bust this human excrement. :mad:
Unfortunately, the remaining of my 6-7 miles were polluted with harmful thoughts to this person. It completely ruined my zen running. Oh well, the adrenaline provided me with a negative split the rest of the way though. Love that part.
It's amazing what 5-Hr. Energy drinks can do to a a person! :p
Im scared to take those drinks. Do you drink coffee? Is there a immediate high and crash later?

JillC LI

Texas84 said:
They are out there. My driver's Ed teacher always told us assume every driver is an idiot.​
Driver Ed was over 25 years ago for me, and I still subscribe to this theory. :p

I have not done any running since the 5K on the 27th. I've been lazy -- and now seem to be coming down with a cold. Blech.

I'm looking at a 1.4 mile run through Christmas lights next weekend (Nov 17). The Christmas Lights thing is a drive through, and I bought a Groupon for it this year. Looking at schedule, whatever -- I stumbled over this Dazzle Dash. Sounds like fun, and 1.4 shouldn't hurt me too bad. LOL

I subscribe to this theory not just for driving!

Sorry you're under the weather. The Chirstmas Lights run sounds really cool.

fmingo36

Unfortunately, the remaining of my 6-7 miles were polluted with harmful thoughts to this person. It completely ruined my zen running. Oh well, the adrenaline provided me with a negative split the rest of the way though. Love that part.
Im scared to take those drinks. Do you drink coffee? Is there a immediate high and crash later?

I only drink 1/2 a bottle at a time and only when I'm running 5 or more miles. I don't do coffee/soda so the 1/2 bottle does me just fine. No issues with crasing after.

I DID drink the whole bottle the night of the TOT10M. I was worried I would be too tired to enjoy the Bash after the race. I may have been perky than usual. :p

joel_maxwell

I only drink 1/2 a bottle at a time and only when I'm running 5 or more miles. I don't do coffee/soda so the 1/2 bottle does me just fine. No issues with crasing after.

I DID drink the whole bottle the night of the TOT10M. I was worried I would be too tired to enjoy the Bash after the race. I may have been perky than usual. :p
May have been a little perky?

Coyrna on 5 Hour Energy
Coryna.gif

The Prosecution rests its case. :D

Texas84

Seriously, my doc said "NO' on the energy drinks before or during a run. Coffee is OK. Rely on your doctor for advice and tell him/her exactly what you are doing.

joel_maxwell

Seriously, my doc said "NO' on the energy drinks before or during a run. Coffee is OK. Rely on your doctor for advice and tell him/her exactly what you are doing.
We are all adults, just make sure we all make wise choices since all our bodies are different and react differently. There is documentation supporting and debunking a lot of stuff out there. Im not getting preachy, I just dont want to see anyone get hurt. I was taking a lot of Advil 2 years ago before my runs to make it through and then read the effects that it can have on your body. So, I quit taking it and ran through the pain until it finally healed. I dont care if Im sitting at my desk or running, energy drinks have always made me a bit nervous. I had a Red Bull once and felt like my heart was going to explode.

Nick says Run hard... I agree, I say Run Smart too.
3 miles @ 10:24/mile. Gettin' cold out there!
Yes it is. Love it.
Bahahahahahah. Love it!
I couldnt post this fast enough! I knew it would make you smile.

joel_maxwell

4.5 miles this am. 5.5 tomorrow.

It was 44 on my run this morning and fabulous! I REALLY HATE dls time. I miss my morning runs in the dark.

Witchy Chick

LMAO at Coryna's "energy." hahahhaaa

I had a Red Bull once and felt like my heart was going to explode.

I've only had Red Bull when mixed with orange-flavored vodka. ::looks around:: Soooooo, good. ::looks around again:: :D

ahem. Back to your regularly scheduled "what did you do?" thread.......

Might have some issues lining up a babysitter for DH and I to do the Dazzle Dash. My 17-year-old niece is unavailable, so I might have to enlist my Mom. I hate doing that. She watched my kiddos all week/every week for the first 2-2.5 years before we put them in preschool. I like to let her have her retirement in peace now. Still, it's only for about 3 hours (if we do dinner too) and Mom did just "escape" a 24 hours+ babysitting gig since we did not go to NYC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom