What changes were made to "Journey into Imagination with Figment" during its rehab?

General Grizz

Sorry...I just had to post this one:

(It brings back fond memories :), don't it? ) :D

Attachments

• df15.jpg
    df15.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 149

General Grizz

Originally posted by Main Street USA
Figment acts COMPLETLY different...It's unbelievable how much they've skimped on this...we're thinking "that's it?"

Welcome to the club?? :veryconfu :hammer: :hammer: :D I was pleased to hear song in an attraction again (this really made a MAJOR difference...) but it's really, for me, uncomparable.

Take in mind they only did 7 million dollars worth; but it will come a time when they realize it will take a high-budget quality attraction to truly get a high-budget audience! I don't want to keep stressing on the new ones...so let's just go into our little DREAMPORTS in our minds shall we...

Yes...paying tribute to the genius duo!!

We all have sparks, imaginations
That's how our minds create creations...
Oh, they can make our wildest dreams come true
Those little sparks...in me and you!

Attachments

• df3.jpg
    df3.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 143

Main Street USA

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
MSU - did you encounter any technical difficulties? I am not a "fan" of the new ride; but I am interested to hear if anything went wrong.

Thanks!

No, I didn't. Everything went smoothly.

I also want everyone to realize that I liked the first version, and while the second version wasn't the first one, it was ok. So, I went into this third one expecting no more than the second, and certainly not the first, but just something entertaining. I just found myself saying throughout the entire ride, "That's it?"

I actually thought on a few occasions that maybe something had malfunctioned, and certain things things didn't occur that should have. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. It just seemed so empty, that's all.

disneyphilip

Original Poster
Originally posted by Main Street USA
Figment acts COMPLETLY different, and all of the words to the song are changed.

OH, PLEASE. DON'T START WITH THAT AGAIN, GRIZZLYHALL AND MAIN STREET USA!!!:fork:

I've said this before and I'll say it again...

Figment may be different in the new ride, but it's still THE SAME FIGMENT THAT ENTERTAINED US IN THE ORIGINAL RIDE...he just behaves differently! They DID preserve his classic persona/antics while giving him characteristics that would make him appealing to the newer audiences, though. I believe he's always a been a mischievious type at times...it's just that we hardly got to see that side of him in the original attraction, with Dreamfinder around to keep him in line and tell him to behave.

There's no (and I mean "NO") "original" Figment! There's only one Figment, just as how there's only one Mickey Mouse, only one Donald Duck, only one Goofy, only one Pluto, only one Winnie the Pooh, only one Tigger, etc.

Many other beloved Disney characters (including the ones I mentioned) have had different personalities over the years.

Take Goofy for example. In the old days, he didn't talk too much and he was (I think) goofier. In newer productions, he's louder, talks more and is often more aggresive, obnoxious and proactive than reactive. However, they DO preserve his classic persona/antics while giving him characteristics that would make him appealing to the newer audiences at the same time.

Don't get me wrong. I DO have soft spots Disney's classic attractions like a lot of you!

However, we still see Figment's "fun-loving/original ride" side in the new attraction, as well as in merchandise items. Figment's new merchandise items bring back memories of the original attraction as well.

Figment DOES NOT need an attitude adjustment...he's just great, he's fine as he is and he's NOT a pest! He's a lovable (and popular) figure...and a profitable merchandising icon!

As for you grizzlyhall...you can keep your opinions about the new JII attraction, but it would've been nicer if you expressed your disappointments maybe only once or twice. I've been holding grudges against you because I feel that you've expressed your opinions SOOOOOO many times and in SOOOOOO many ways that it has become annoying!

Also, if Grizzlyhall can get away with expressing his disappointments in the new JII attraction to no end...THEN I HAVE THE RIGHT TO CONSTANTLY UPDATE YOU ALL ON MY "SAVE ROGER RABBIT" PETITION TO NO END!!!:fork:

If Grizz keeps his rights to drive us crazy with his opinions...THEN I CAN KEEP DRIVING YOU ALL CRAZY WITH MY PETITION, ONLY I HAVE A GOOD CAUSE COMPARED TO GRIZZ!:fork:

IT'D BE A LOT BETTER AND SAFER IF WE JUST PUT THIS ISSUE/DEBATE TO REST AND QUIT ALL THIS FLAMMING RIGHT NOW BEFORE WE GIVE OURSELVES HEART ATTACKS!:fork:

LONG LIVE THE FIGMENT OF IMAGINATION!!!

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Originally posted by disneyphilip
OH, PLEASE. DON'T START WITH THAT AGAIN, GRIZZLYHALL AND MAIN STREET USA!!!:fork:

I've said this before and I'll say it again...

Figment may be different in the new ride, but it's still THE SAME FIGMENT THAT ENTERTAINED US IN THE ORIGINAL RIDE...he just behaves differently! They DID preserve his classic persona/antics while giving him characteristics that would make him appealing to the newer audiences, though. I believe he's always a been a mischievious type at times...it's just that we hardly got to see that side of him in the original attraction, with Dreamfinder around to keep him in line and tell him to behave.

There's no (and I mean "NO") "original" Figment! There's only one Figment, just as how there's only one Mickey Mouse, only one Donald Duck, only one Goofy, only one Pluto, only one Winnie the Pooh, only one Tigger, etc.

Many other beloved Disney characters (including the ones I mentioned) have had different personalities over the years.

Take Goofy for example. In the old days, he didn't talk too much and he was (I think) goofier. In newer productions, he's louder, talks more and is often more aggresive, obnoxious and proactive than reactive. However, they DO preserve his classic persona/antics while giving him characteristics that would make him appealing to the newer audiences at the same time.

Don't get me wrong. I DO have soft spots Disney's classic attractions like a lot of you!

However, we still Figment's "fun-loving/original ride" side in the new attraction, as well as in merchandise items. Figment's new merchandise items bring back memories of the original attraction as well.

Figment DOES NOT need an attitude adjustment...he's just great, he's fine as he is and he's NOT a pest! He's a lovable (and popular) figure...and a profitable merchandising icon!

As for you grizzlyhall...you can keep your opinions about the new JII attraction, but it would've been nicer if you expressed your disappointments maybe only once or twice. I've been holding grudges against you because I feel that you've expressed your opinions SOOOOOO many times and in SOOOOOO many ways that it has become annoying!

Also, if Grizzlyhall can get away with expressing his disappointments in the new JII attraction to no end...THEN I HAVE THE RIGHT TO CONSTANTLY UPDATE YOU ALL ON MY "SAVE ROGER RABBIT" PETITION TO NO END!!!:fork:

If Grizz keeps his rights to drive us crazy with his opinions...THEN I CAN KEEP DRIVING YOU ALL CRAZY WITH MY PETITION, ONLY I HAVE A GOOD CAUSE COMPARED TO GRIZZ!:fork:

IT'D BE A LOT BETTER AND SAFER IF WE JUST PUT THIS ISSUE/DEBATE TO REST AND QUIT ALL THIS FLAMMING RIGHT NOW BEFORE WE GIVE OURSELVES HEART ATTACKS!:fork:

LONG LIVE THE FIGMENT OF IMAGINATION!!!
:sigh: Once again, Philip --> RELAXATION 101

I have never seen so many forks in one post. This is a DISNEY forum. You need to pour some pixie dust on your corn flakes or something! :p

It's clear that Disney did something right by introducing the world to this character... let us all love our own versions of it! It's like a car. Some like the old vintage mustangs, some prefer the new ones, and some don't mind either and hate all the ones in between. It's all good!? No need for all the mean faces and capital letters. :D

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
By the way, Griz, I LOVE those pics!? :sohappy:

You just put a huge smile on my face from ear to ear in this stressful week of finals. Thank you so much!

This is me --> :D

JLW11Hi

Wow, lol

I haven't seen the new one yet, but doesn't all this lack of quality have to do with Kodak pulling their sponsorship from the attraction?

I know Disney seems to be so "content" when their big mega-funded attrations, especially at Epcot, have sponsors (Test Track, Mission: Space), but would it klill them to spend more money on this?

I dont know. But I like One Little Spark.. I think that if they do change the ride again, they could update HISTA, too. It is starting to get out of date, I think. (I mean, Honey I shrunk the Kids is kinda in the past now. Some visitors probably don't even get the conneciton between the show and the movie)

As for Eric Idle, I think he is pretty funny. (Monty Python!)

disneyphilip

Original Poster
Originally posted by JLW11Hi
Wow, lol

I haven't seen the new one yet, but doesn't all this lack of quality have to do with Kodak pulling their sponsorship from the attraction?

Kodak is still sponsoring the Imagination pavilion, among other things at WDW such as Muppet*Vision 3D and the upcoming Mickey's Philharmagic.

As far as I know, Kodak will not be pulling its Disney sponsorships any time soon.

kennyj29

Figment

I just got back from Disney after spending 10 wonderful days down there. I saw COP (which I was thrilled to see) and I saw the new Journey into Imagination. I have to say I loved the new version. I am so happy to have figment back!!! It was great. I absolutely hated the second version and to see Figment back was all worth it. Our One Little Spark song was great to hear again also. The problem is no matter what people say this is the version they will stick with for awhile. We all loved the first version but as long as they bring back our little purple friend, I was thrilled. Let's just be glad he's back!!!!!:animwink:

Passport

I like any ride that is slow moving and in the dark. And I know this ride was not made for me. It reminds me of another ride, It's A Small World, that also is slow moving and in the dark but was also not made for me. So, I might not like the theme of those rides but I do know it doesn't really matter since they weren't made to appeal for me. And that's okay. There will always be people who love something or hate it. There will always be people that like change or abhor it. Does it all really matter? Does everyone have to think their opinion is the only "right" opinion? You may not like my way of thinking but the opposite of like is not always hate.

Cliff

Don't know if anybody realizes this but Figment is NOT a "Disney" character. They did not create him nor do they own the rights to him. I don't know much of the details but I hear there are complex legal issues involving Kodak, Disney and merchandizing involving Figment.

In the future, I'd like to see WDI tear out the post show and reduce the gift shop to half. Then tear out all the entry space and wasted long hallway leading to the cars. Put the line outside and make use of every inch of building space. Then, gut the entire ride and start over with a new 10 -15 minute ride. A new ride where you have something to see EVERYWHERE you look, left, right up and down.( not just a couple of sparce "rooms") I'd also like to hear music comming out of every corner of the ride from speakers hidden everywhere. Put some MORE heart and magic into this version. ( Even MORE than the original one)

Spend about 100 million and make this the latest new e-ticket attraction. The best dark ride at Disney ever.

C'mon guys, you can afford it. Just dump a couple of those ABC execs and maybe Peter Jennings.

That's it....mega-attraction paid for!

CT:animwink:

General Grizz

And don't forget the upstairs Image Works!!! :wave:

Yes, this is something I would be thinking. Something MORE well done, with MORE essence, and MORE quality - using not only outstanding technology, but more importantly, heart...and charm. Yes, it will take a TREMENDOUS amount of money, but this seems to be one of the only ways I can see "magic" come back as far as attractions and attendance. :D :D

Attachments

• df1.jpg
    df1.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 143

MicBat

Thanks for posting the pics of the que mural. I always liked that thing! My favorite part of the image works was always the pin things. I could stay at that thing forever. It amazed me! (yeah, simple minds are easily amuzed :lol: )

General Grizz

*pssst*

Wanna hear a secret?

You can STILL play with the pin tables! Just take the EPCOT Undiscovered Future World Tour and they will take you upstairs. The pin tables are all set up outside of the original Image Works area, so they are free for you to enjoy to this day!!

Attachments

• df6.jpg
    df6.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 135

MicBat

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
*pssst*

Wanna hear a secret?

You can STILL play with the pin tables! Just take the EPCOT Undiscovered Future World Tour and they will take you upstairs. The pin tables are all set up outside of the original Image Works area, so they are free for you to enjoy to this day!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: No way!! I didn't even know they had a tour like this! I would love to take a tour like that. That's awesome! :sohappy:

disneyphilip

Original Poster
Originally posted by 10021982
Don't know if anybody realizes this but Figment is NOT a "Disney" character. They did not create him nor do they own the rights to him. I don't know much of the details but I hear there are complex legal issues involving Kodak, Disney and merchandizing involving Figment.

To tell you the truth, Figment IS a "Disney" character. They use him in any way they want and can use him in any way they want...and they seem to use him quite often.

Disney DID create him.

Besides, whenver Figment appears on something, the copyright notices always say "copyright Disney", whereas they put "copyright Disney/Amblin" whenver a Roger Rabbit character appears in something, "copyright Disney/Burroughs" whenever a Tarzan character appears, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom