What are the crowds like in disney now with Harry Potter being open?

L2DAVI

Original Poster
Just out of curiosity, what are the crowds like in Disney now that Harry Potter is open in Universal? I read the wait time to get into HP is 6 hours. :eek:

Did a bit more research, supposedly theres a line just to get into the land thats approximately 4-6 hours! Then the 90 mins for the attraction is on top of that!

Evil Genius

I remember when I first started seeing pictures of this new WWoHP area and maps thinking they were going to have capacity issues.

Looks as though I wasn't wrong.

RiversideBunny

Harry Potter Park Opens In Orlando

Mini-Park One Of The Most Highly Anticipated In Years

UPDATED: 11:37 am CDT June 18, 2010

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Daniel Radcliffe and other stars from the Harry Potter movies greeted visitors Friday at the official grand opening of Universal Orlando's new minipark, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
Thousands of people streamed into Universal for the park's opening day. The 20-acre park brings the Harry Potter books and movies to life with detailed reproductions of the fictitious village of Hogsmeade, the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and the steam-belching Hogwarts Express train.
Universal was admitting fans to the minipark in waves, so the Wizarding World area did not appear overcrowded from the inside. But the line of people waiting to get in backed up through Universal's Islands of Adventure theme park all the way to City Walk, at the entrance to the resort, according to Robert Niles editor of ThemeParkInsider.com, who was relaying observations from the celebration through his ThemePark Twitter account. Local TV stations ran aerial shots of the queue.
"It's absolutely jampacked," said Niles in a phone interview. "The entire Islands of Adventure theme park and City Walk are just one long queue to get into Harry Potter. The number of people here for this is clearly in the tens of thousands. These are passionate fans."
Radcliffe, who plays the boy wizard in the movie series, was joined at the opening by Warwick Davis (who plays Filius Flitwick), Bonnie Wright (Ginny Weasley), Matthew Lewis (Neville Longbottom), Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy), James and Oliver Phelps Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) and Michael Gambon (Albus Dumbledore). James and Oliver Phelps, who play Fred and George Weasley, were on hand to light fireworks at the kickoff celebration.
Radcliffe told the crowd that he and his co-stars were "all very, very, very excited to be here today. It really is incredible. What Universal Orlando has done with Harry Potter is really, really fantastic. We're all kind of very grateful that the next part of the Harry Potter legacy has been so well-done and so well-made. You're going to have an amazing time, I'm sure."
The park's marquee ride, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, is filled with special effects as it takes guests on a flight through Harry's life, including encounters with Dementors and a dragon, and projections of characters from the film like Dumbledore, headmaster of Hogwarts.
The park also has two roller coasters, Flight of the Hippogriff and Dragon Challenge, as well as themed shops like Honeydukes sweets and Ollivander's Wand Shop.
"We have brought to life a cultural phenomenon that has captured the hearts and minds of millions of people around the world," Bill Davis, president of Universal Orlando Resort, told the crowd.

SleepingMonk

So very, very glad we got in for the early previews.

It was an awesome experience but I wouldn't wait in line six hours to do it again.

SleepingMonk

Yeah, that's all interesting.

And do not answer the original question at all.

:D :wave: :hammer:

Yeah, this thread has some reading comprehension issues.

:D

I seriously doubt a guest would notice a difference in the WDW parks today. Disney has four parks to spread out in so the average guest would probably never notice a small drop.

But I bet the folks in the main office are keeping track.

EpcotServo

Remarkably, Disney is completely empty, and Upper Management has ordered all remaining Cast Members who have not already left the park to commit ritual seppuku, like Samurai. Spaceship Earth is being packed up for an undisclosed buyer in Sweden, and Mickey Mouse has declared he is no longer affiliated with this "Walt Disney person". Bob Iger is currently selling the property to the Appliance Direct people for a very reasonable price, IMHO.

PurpleDragon

Remarkably, Disney is completely empty, and Upper Management has ordered all remaining Cast Members who have not already left the park to commit ritual seppuku, like Samurai. Spaceship Earth is being packed up for an undisclosed buyer in Sweden, and Mickey Mouse has declared he is no longer affiliated with this "Walt Disney person". Bob Iger is currently selling the property to the Appliance Direct people for a very reasonable price, IMHO.

LMAO!! WIN!!! :lol:

Its funny how people seem to think that WWoHP will somehow cause WDW to be completely barren or something, when it reality it will have no visible effect on the Disney parks.

Those tens of thousands of people lined up to get into WWoHP are HP fans who went to Orlando specifically for the opening of this attraction. They aren't random WDW guests who took time out of their Disney vacation to hit Uni for the day. :rolleyes:

Monsterfan99

For what it's worth, as of an hour ago, the line for the Harry Potter dark ride went into the spider-man overfill queue and out the park entrance. Wait time was over 9 hours.

misterID

Its funny how people seem to think that WWoHP will somehow cause WDW to be completely barren or something, when it reality it will have no visible effect on the Disney parks.

Those tens of thousands of people lined up to get into WWoHP are HP fans who went to Orlando specifically for the opening of this attraction. They aren't random WDW guests who took time out of their Disney vacation to hit Uni for the day. :rolleyes:

How do you know?

And who said HP was going to make WDW empty?

PurpleDragon

Who outside of rabid HP fans would wait in a line for 9 hours just to get into the WWoHP land? Not even the ride, just the themed area.

I can't even justify standing in line for 2-3 hours for concert tickets to a group I really like, I couldn't imagine 9 hours for something like WWoHP. LOL!!

misterID

Who outside of rabid HP fans would wait in a line for 9 hours just to get into the WWoHP land? Not even the ride, just the themed area.

I can't even justify standing in line for 2-3 hours for concert tickets to a group I really like, I couldn't imagine 9 hours for something like WWoHP. LOL!!

There's no doubt a lot of Potter fans made the trek, but there are a LOT of people who are excited about the ride, not Potter, too.

I wouldn't stand in line 9 hours for anything. Which is why I'm not there, and why I'm waiting a couple months before going :animwink:

PurpleDragon

There's no doubt a lot of Potter fans made the trek, but there are a LOT of people who are excited about the ride, not Potter, too.

I wouldn't stand in line 9 hours for anything. Which is why I'm not there, and why I'm waiting a couple months before going :animwink:

Case in point! IMO your average WDW park visitor, like us, is not going to spend the day at Universal to stand in line for 9 hours when they could be enjoying their Disney vacation back on property. Hence why I said I doubt the grand opening of WWoHP will have much affect on WDW crowds, if at all.

misterID

Case in point! IMO your average WDW park visitor, like us, is not going to spend the day at Universal to stand in line for 9 hours when they could be enjoying their Disney vacation back on property. Hence why I said I doubt the grand opening of WWoHP will have much affect on WDW crowds, if at all.

Yeah, but I'm not on vacation in Orlando right now. If I were I'd most likey go give it a try. I'd been there early! But I'm not driving 10-12 hours to just get on Potter. That's just me. But I know there are people who would/are.

It'll definitely be over time of how it impacts WDW. Like I said, people seem to focus too much on MK when they think of it impacting WDW, when the parks that are going to be hurt by HP are EPCOT, DHS and AK. And it really doesn't have to be that way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom