What about Big Hero Six?

SirLink

Once again, another blanket statement.

And you don't want to keep integrity, you want to CONTROL things and have it your way like you're at Burger King. That's called being selfish.

I get that Epcot Center was great and WDW used to build great original attractions all the time, but we are in a time these days, especially with Universal playing the way they are playing with virtually all IP-based rides, where US Theme park goers expect to see there favorite IPs at top notch resorts like Disney and Universal. I honestly think, even something like Mystic Manor, would be a tough sell to the US public in this day and age. I hope they try some day, but when they question pushing the green light on big IPs like Cars, Star Wars, etc like they have for years, it just makes me doubt that we'll see any original attractions in the near future.

It's sad, but it is what it is. Which is why I made the distinction of saying it must be theme appropriate for it to even considered for Epcot. BH6 is. For Innoventions. To argue it isn't is lying to yourself.

Hardly.

lazyboy97o

Blanket statements like this do nothing to further a conversation. It just shows how much of a fanboi you are (and the Epcot ones are the worst!). Characters, when thematically fitting, can be brought to any park in any area. You obviously don't want to over do it, but if the IP fits the theme, there's no reason it can't be done. Looking at it so densely gets you no where.
The people who created the place intentionally avoided using any of Disney's existing characters. They knew that including those characters would detract from the real subject.

Next Big Thing

The people who created the place intentionally avoided using any of Disney's existing characters. They knew that including those characters would detract from the real subject.
I understand that. I don't know how much clearer I can be that I was only ever talking about BH6 in innoventions, where it fits and would make people much more likely to see and experience the exhibit.

Go back through all that i've said. The only thing i've argued for is that characters should be allowed to be considered if they are thematically appropriate, as they are with BH6 and innoventions. Something like Frozen into Maelstrom isn't acceptable.

lazyboy97o

I understand that. I don't know how much clearer I can be that I was only ever talking about BH6 in innoventions, where it fits and would make people much more likely to see and experience the exhibit.

Go back through all that i've said. The only thing i've argued for is that characters should be allowed to be considered if they are thematically appropriate, as they are with BH6 and innoventions. Something like Frozen into Maelstrom isn't acceptable.
How can something be thematically appropriate if it was specifically avoided during creation? If people are coming because of the characters then that, not the supposed subject, is the focus. if the subject is made engaging then it is engaging and doesn't need deception to attract people.

SirLink

Well....not fine, really.
But I'm willing to be flexible...to a point.

And, for the record, I can't say a thing wrong on any subject. :cool:

As am I a 2 sec clip in a montage of thousands of clips of Robots to show our obsession with robotics. I'm perfectly fine with it in that limited format.

Edit:

10799612_10203604698012672_1815179740_n.jpg

Last edited:

Cesar R M

You are clearly not grasping the distinction I am trying to make here.

Peter Pan's Flight is a "Peter Pan Ride."
Cartoon Spin is a "Roger Rabbit Ride."
Muppet Vision is a "Muppet Ride."
And so on...

They are rides based on, starring, and putting you in the world of those particular characters.

Ellen's Energy Adventure isn't an "Ellen Ride." (Despite the name.)
Journey Into Imagination wasn't a "Figment Ride."

Those are attractions where characters are used as a means of making the subject matter easier and/or more enjoyable for the rider.

A Big Hero 6 ride where you just follow that round, white guy on an adventure would be a "Big Hero 6 ride."
Frozen in Norway, telling the Frozen story, will be a "Frozen ride."
Nemo re-telling his movie's plot...nope. Doesn't fit.

Neither fit in Epcot.

Now, a robotics exhibit in Innoventions which uses a Big Hero 6 character/characters to deliver its message more easily/enjoyable for a certain audience....that would fit (based on what I'm hearing about the film).

An updated Maelstrom post-show film, featuring the Frozen girls extolling the virtues of Norway...that could fit.
Nemo guiding riders on an exploration of the wonders of the ocean (rather than just rehashing his film) could fit.

Are you seeing my point? Big Hero 6 ride....no. Doesn't fit.
Big Hero 6 characters used (correctly) to augment something like a robotics exhibit...that could work.

This is getting quite tiresome...
I imagine the BH6 more like the Avengers academy.
But with the robotics university of the movie.. (the lasers, the magnetics, mini robots, chemicals..etc..)
displaying real robots and the current world tech.. Hosted by Hiro and Baymax.

Lee

Adventurer
I imagine the BH6 more like the Avengers academy.
But with the robotics university of the movie.. (the lasers, the magnetics, mini robots, chemicals..etc..)
displaying real robots and the current world tech.. Hosted by Hiro and Baymax.
Sounds a bit much...
Leave out the university part and...maybe.

Next Big Thing

How can something be thematically appropriate if it was specifically avoided during creation? If people are coming because of the characters then that, not the supposed subject, is the focus. if the subject is made engaging then it is engaging and doesn't need deception to attract people.
Creativity changes over time. Or at least it should... (Someone tell Disney that MJ's been dead for 5 years).

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
You are clearly not grasping the distinction I am trying to make here.

Peter Pan's Flight is a "Peter Pan Ride."
Cartoon Spin is a "Roger Rabbit Ride."
Muppet Vision is a "Muppet Ride."
And so on...

They are rides based on, starring, and putting you in the world of those particular characters.

Ellen's Energy Adventure isn't an "Ellen Ride." (Despite the name.)
Journey Into Imagination wasn't a "Figment Ride."

Those are attractions where characters are used as a means of making the subject matter easier and/or more enjoyable for the rider.

A Big Hero 6 ride where you just follow that round, white guy on an adventure would be a "Big Hero 6 ride."
Frozen in Norway, telling the Frozen story, will be a "Frozen ride."
Nemo re-telling his movie's plot...nope. Doesn't fit.

Neither fit in Epcot.

Now, a robotics exhibit in Innoventions which uses a Big Hero 6 character/characters to deliver its message more easily/enjoyable for a certain audience....that would fit (based on what I'm hearing about the film).

An updated Maelstrom post-show film, featuring the Frozen girls extolling the virtues of Norway...that could fit.
Nemo guiding riders on an exploration of the wonders of the ocean (rather than just rehashing his film) could fit.

Are you seeing my point? Big Hero 6 ride....no. Doesn't fit.
Big Hero 6 characters used (correctly) to augment something like a robotics exhibit...that could work.

This is getting quite tiresome...

"Now if by chance somebody who hasn't seen this movie is wondering through.. One may ask.. "how would this movie/ride fit the theming and purpose of Future World?" Simple! There's a lot of advanced technology work done throughout the film. The character, Hiro, is a robotics genius. He could be working on a new robot (this is during the pre-show) and all of a sudden, it breaks loose and plans on destroying the city. So it's up to the characters to go and try and stop it. Simple.

In the after-show, there may be many different robotics exhibits. Now some may say the movie would work better in Innoventions explaining some advanced technology and whatnot. I believe that it's good enough for its own ride! Introducing a new "robotics" pavilion! :) "

Already answer this in another thread. A BH6 ride can work.

Next Big Thing

Doing something easier and established is not creative.
So you're going to tell me there wasn't an ounce of creativity put into Diagon Alley? Or even the SDMT ride system and the show scene. Or Festival of Fantasy. Just because something is based off of an IP doesn't mean you can't be creative with it.

Lee

Adventurer
"Now if by chance somebody who hasn't seen this movie is wondering through.. One may ask.. "how would this movie/ride fit the theming and purpose of Future World?" Simple! There's a lot of advanced technology work done throughout the film. The character, Hiro, is a robotics genius. He could be working on a new robot (this is during the pre-show) and all of a sudden, it breaks loose and plans on destroying the city. So it's up to the characters to go and try and stop it. Simple.

In the after-show, there may be many different robotics exhibits. Now some may say the movie would work better in Innoventions explaining some advanced technology and whatnot. I believe that it's good enough for its own ride! Introducing a new "robotics" pavilion! :) "

Already answer this in another thread. A BH6 ride can work.
Yeah, we're not going to agree on this....
I'm moving on.

lazyboy97o

I honestly don't even know what you're saying here, but I probably disagree with it.
Do people refer to The Seas with Nemo and Friends based on the film or the aquatic learning content? The refer to the film because that is what it is really about. A Big Hero 6 attraction will be about the film, even if technology is included.

Lee

Adventurer
I honestly don't even know what you're saying here, but I probably disagree with it.
He's saying that the purpose of the ride shouldn't be overshadowed by the characters in the ride.

Gringotts is about Gringotts, the characters serve the story.
Energy is about energy, Ellen serves the purpose.
Imagination...Figment...same thing.

Saying, "We need a ride with (insert character)! Where can we make it fit?" is not the way to do it.
Do people refer to The Seas with Nemo and Friends based on the film or the aquatic learning content? The refer to the film because that is what it is really about. A Big Hero 6 attraction will be about the film, even if technology is included.
That's what I'm saying.

Next Big Thing

I'm not sure if you've listened at all, but i've pretty much shot down a BH6 attraction in Epcot. The only place it could possibly belong is Innoventions. I personally think they could make a cool exhibit with it, but it's all about if they want to spend the money. Innoventions is usually reserved for sponsored attractions/exhibits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom