What about Big Hero Six?

Rogue21

Unfortunately, Interstellar is mostly seen as a disappointment within the film community

Really? Perhaps I missed those opinion pieces.

That confounds me.
In my not so humble opinion, Interstellar is a minor masterpiece. Easily the best film this year.

Ditto. I may be a fan of animation, Tolkien, HP and the like, but I chose to see Interstellar over BH6 opening weekend due to glowing reviews. Best film I have seen this year. Might even include last year -- I found the plot more "believable" than Gravity. Hey, maybe Disney can buy the IP and re-imagine Mission: Space . . . o_O

Anyway, IMHO, Interstellar is a movie that is thought-provoking, allows a sense of wide-eyed wonder, and gives you the thrill of an emotional roller coaster.

Now, back to your regualrly scheduled BH6 thread . . .

lazyboy97o

I'm not sure if you've listened at all, but i've pretty much shot down a BH6 attraction in Epcot. The only place it could possibly belong is Innoventions. I personally think they could make a cool exhibit with it, but it's all about if they want to spend the money. Innoventions is usually reserved for sponsored attractions/exhibits.
But see, you're still making my point that the characters would be a distraction from the subject. You keep referencing a hypothetical Big Hero 6 exhibit, not a hypothetical robotics or technology or whatever exhibit. The starting point is the film and you're trying to tangent into something else to make it fit.

Next Big Thing

He's saying that the purpose of the ride shouldn't be overshadowed by the characters in the ride.

Gringotts is about Gringotts, the characters serve the story.
Energy is about energy, Ellen serves the purpose.
Imagination...Figment...same thing.

Saying, "We need a ride with (insert character)! Where can we make it fit?" is not the way to do it.
I gotcha. I've never been arguing for a BH6 attraction in Epcot or more characters. I think there's something being lost in translation. Innoventions is really the only place for BH6.

For any/all animated films, there could be a place if the theme is right and the film doesn't overshadow the message of the pavillion/whatever is being showcased. For example, say they wanted to do a major tech pavilion (which is basically what innoventions is supposed to be, but just go with me here). As long as the main focus is on the tech and it is made clear, then adding an IP that adds a bit of story along the way (but doesn't take away from the pavilions message) isn't necessarily a bad thing imo.

The way I look at it, if someone comes out having learned something, then they did their job. I guess they could just create an original story, yes, as I know that will be your argument, but you need a weenie in this day and age. It's hard to get the US theme park going audience excited about something they don't really know anything about. If you attach a major IP to it (with major learning components), people will come and people will not only love their experience, but learn as well.

I don't see a downside in that.

Next Big Thing

But see, you're still making my point that the characters would be a distraction from the subject. You keep referencing a hypothetical Big Hero 6 exhibit, not a hypothetical robotics or technology or whatever exhibit. The starting point is the film and you're trying to tangent into something else to make it fit.
I've only been saying that, mostly because that was the topic of discussion in this thread. Could Epcot do a major robotics exhibit in innoventions without an IP attached? Absolutely. It's probably more likely too, all they would need is a sponsor (since they're lazy and hate funding projects on their own).

I'm just saying, in this hypothetical scenario, BH6 would be a weenie to attract people to the exhibit. If people are learning something from it, I just don't see how it's a bad thing.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I decided to just google and "bing" search this statement into the search engine for the most searched results using the phrase "Epcot is..." and here are your results.

Screen%2BShot%2B2014-11-18%2Bat%2B2.47.04%2BPM.png

Screen%2BShot%2B2014-11-18%2Bat%2B2.48.08%2BPM.png

Comments?

216bruce

Really? Perhaps I missed those opinion pieces.

Ditto. I may be a fan of animation, Tolkien, HP and the like, but I chose to see Interstellar over BH6 opening weekend due to glowing reviews. Best film I have seen this year. Might even include last year -- I found the plot more "believable" than Gravity. Hey, maybe Disney can buy the IP and re-imagine Mission: Space . . . o_O

Anyway, IMHO, Interstellar is a movie that is thought-provoking, allows a sense of wide-eyed wonder, and gives you the thrill of an emotional roller coaster.

Now, back to your regualrly scheduled BH6 thread . . .
Interstellar was gorgeous eye-candy but I really didn't see what all the fuss is about. If it wasn't for the last half-hour or so I probably would have disliked it content-wise. I didn't care for any of the characters until then. After a certain thing happened (I won't spoil it), it got much better. For me it was "Contact" (which I loved) meets "2001" and it hijacks a test pilot from "The Right Stuff".
After walking out after BH6, I at least felt happy- not so with Interstellar. Is Christopher Nolan capable of "bright" or does he only do "dark"? Anyway, it was good but a little predictable and 'down' until the end. I actually preferred BH6 which I find, for me, surprising.

lazyboy97o

I've only been saying that, mostly because that was the topic of discussion in this thread. Could Epcot do a major robotics exhibit in innoventions without an IP attached? Absolutely. It's probably more likely too, all they would need is a sponsor (since they're lazy and hate funding projects on their own).

I'm just saying, in this hypothetical scenario, BH6 would be a weenie to attract people to the exhibit. If people are learning something from it, I just don't see how it's a bad thing.
Weenies are a main draw. The whole problem is this idea of it being a weenie. The only other alternative is bait-and-switch but that is not something people like.

Next Big Thing

Weenies are a main draw. The whole problem is this idea of it being a weenie. The only other alternative is bait-and-switch but that is not something people like.
When I say weenie, I more mean something to attract people to the exhibit, but not take away from it either.

When I think of the term "weenie" in reference to theme parks, I think of something that will draw people to a certain attraction. If it takes an IP to get people to experience a cool science exhibit, then I don't think that would be the worst thing in the world. Speaking realistically though, I highly doubt anything BH6 related will ever happen at innoventions.

Rogue21

Interstellar was gorgeous eye-candy but I really didn't see what all the fuss is about. If it wasn't for the last half-hour or so I probably would have disliked it content-wise. I didn't care for any of the characters until then. After a certain thing happened (I won't spoil it), it got much better. For me it was "Contact" (which I loved) meets "2001" and it hijacks a test pilot from "The Right Stuff".
After walking out after BH6, I at least felt happy- not so with Interstellar. Is Christopher Nolan capable of "bright" or does he only do "dark"? Anyway, it was good but a little predictable and 'down' until the end. I actually preferred BH6 which I find, for me, surprising.

Eye candy, indeed. I didn't feel down afterward, more "realistically optimistic". Human-kind finds a way,eventually, and all that. But, I can certainly see where BH6 -- or most animated features from Disney -- would leave one with a happy feeling. One of the reasons I enjoy their films. It's all good. :D

lazyboy97o

When I say weenie, I more mean something to attract people to the exhibit, but not take away from it either.

When I think of the term "weenie" in reference to theme parks, I think of something that will draw people to a certain attraction. If it takes an IP to get people to experience a cool science exhibit, then I don't think that would be the worst thing in the world. Speaking realistically though, I highly doubt anything BH6 related will ever happen at innoventions.
Drawing people means it is the focus people expect to see. If a science attraction or exhibit is cool then it can attract on its own.

RSoxNo1

I decided to just google and "bing" search this statement into the search engine for the most searched results using the phrase "Epcot is..." and here are your results.

Screen%2BShot%2B2014-11-18%2Bat%2B2.47.04%2BPM.png

Comments?
I don't disagree. But character infusion isn't the way to fix the park. It's a bandaid to make people go to the park, but by no means does it fix the park. It is the equivalent of a numbing spray on an injury.

If you want to fix the park, bring it back to it's roots. Look at the cultures of the world as an opportunity to interest guests beyond food and beverage. Look at the possibilities of discovery and the future as a way to get excited about the future.

@marni1971 said that Epcot could benefit from $2 billion just like DHS. I don't think the need is that drastic, and I also think it can be done piecemeal unlike DHS. Having said that, the first step is identifying problems and choosing which ones to prioritize. I would rank the problems as follows:

• Imagination Pavilion - Horrible attraction with limitless possibilities for the space, start here.
  • Ellen's Energy Adventure - Dated attraction with good components. Needs an update.
  • Norway Pavilion - Maelstrom wasn't a great attraction and could have used an upgrade that fit thematically. Frozen being put into the pavilion makes it a horrible thematic fit.
  • The Seas with Nemo and Friends - I don't find this as egregious as others do, but the ride is fairly vanilla and characters don't belong in Future World any more than they belong in World Showcase.
  • World Showcase - I'd like to see another thematically relevant attraction in World Showcase.
  • The Land Pavilion - Bring back the live spiel on Living with the Land. The Soarin' Over the World upgrade and 3rd theater will also be a welcome addition.
  • Spaceship Earth - Descent takes away from the seriousness of the attraction as does the script. I'd like to see a new script and new finale.
  • Mexico Pavilion - The Three Caballeros a stretch on the attraction but no where near as egregious as Norway
  • Mission: SPACE - getting dated, but otherwise fine
If I was trying to fix Epcot, here is what I would do.
  • Gut the Imagination Pavilion and put in an LPS attraction featuring the original concept of Dreamfinder and Figment. I don't want the hyperactive know it all Figment, I want the full of wonderment Figment that I grew up with. He is a child that is trying to learn, not a coked up dragon trying to teach Eric Idle that Imagination can't be structured.
  • Update and lengthen Maelstrom, do not put Frozen in the ride, but make a dedicated Meet and Greet area for the princesses. I don't like characters in World Showcase, but meet and greets are more tolerable than infusion in an actual attraction.
  • Soarin upgrades
  • Spaceship Earth script change and descent change
  • "it's a small world" moved to Showcase Plaza (a man can dream)
  • Make a significant upgrade to Ellen's Energy Adventure
  • Come up with a new approach for The Seas Pavilion that doesn't include characters. Turtle Talk can move to Pixar Place with Monster's Inc Laugh Floor.
  • Add a new attraction to the back half of World Showcase.

MerlinTheGoat

There's plenty wrong with EPCOT (and i'd definitely call a lot of what has been added since the mid 90's boring). But that search results trick yields similar results to almost anything popular. Here are some results for Disney World-
"is evil"
"is so expensive"
"is a rip off"

Now I would perhaps be inclined to agree with two of those at least (in its current state). But the same results can be gotten from exchanging Disney World with Disneyland as well. And it's not exactly a great source for other topics as well, I also yielded a lot of negative results by typing in the following with either "is" or "are" attached, just a random selection off the top of my head (all the negative results being variants of stupid, bad, boring, overrated, evil, fake etc)- Star Wars, Star Trek, Breaking Bad, Pixar, Knotts Berry Farm, science, jazz, black people, white people, asian people, jews, muslims, evolution, global warming, the moon landing, the earth (lots of is flat or is 6000 years old results) etc etc. I could go on forever with all sorts of topic. But the point is you shouldn't really rely on internet search results for a fair opinion of something.

The Empress Lilly

Comments?
Search engines adapt to searcher preferences. In effect they tell you what you want to hear. (Something which I detest incidentally, but that is for another discussion)

Here is my Bing:
EPCOT.jpg

216bruce

And "Not in need of more character tie-ins."

Epcot has issues, no doubt about that. But the solution can be found in many ways that don't require dumbing it down.
Agree with adding existing characters unless they fit in just perfectly, which Nemo and Friends could have had it snuck in some education and information along with the pure entertainment. They might have been a fine side attraction or a way to introduce young children to The Living Seas ala' Timon and Pumba in The Land.
With original EPCOT characters like Figment, the cast of Kitchen Kabaret, Smrt-1, and any others I'm forgetting; they'd be welcomed as an integral part of 'smarter' attraction and if I read you right, I believe you'd welcome that. The problem is the company probably will never do that going forward because the synergy and merchandising of the characters would be a hard sell- almost in reverse of how it currently is done. You'd have to go to the park to first experience the character to 'get it' and it's story and that's a much smaller audience than a film provides on a worldwide basis for an initial exposure. I guess everything seems to depend on a character working on all platforms from parks, to retail, to film, video games, etc.
I never had a problem with "Meet and Greets" in World Showcase in the countries that the stories came from as they were a gateway to stories from a culture and I think they work especially well in the UK Pavilion. Again, these characters should have never been the focus of WS as a whole or even a pavilion, but a nice sidelight for kids.
Yeah, having characters everywhere and on a scheduled-only basis for the most part took away a lot of the 'specialness' of them. They used to just "appear" and it was magic for my kids when they were young. Now, my granddaughter will have to get a FP or get in a long line and never just get lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and get an autograph, meet a new character and experience what is sadly disappearing.

Oh yeah, I saw BH6 and thought it was very good. Loved Baymax. Olaf has some competition.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Search engines adapt to searcher preferences. In effect they tell you what you want to hear. (Something which I detest incidentally, but that is for another discussion)

Here is my Bing:
View attachment 74245

I'm not too sure about that... The only time I think I've ever even googled "Epcot" is to help dad purchase tickets and to research abandoned areas... and on that note, I've never even used bing before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom