What 1 thing would stop you from going back to Disney.

jvenegas

AMartin767 said:
It is truly sad... heart wrenching to think about some of the changes that have already taken place and the great attractions lost. Many new things have been and are being added that help to off-set the losses but things don't feel the same these days at the parks. :confused:

I believe the things are felt the way you want them to be felt. Disney provides the themes, the rides and all of the rest, we the guests provide the magic by believing in everything Walt stood and stands for.

I'll keep going back as long as I have young children that can embrace the magic with the innocence only children can, after they grow up and no longer wish to go:cry: then I'll just have to keep going back with my wife.:lol:

epcot2004

Well we got back a little more than a week ago, here are a couple of reasons.

1. Sub-par service, an hour wait to check in at PORS!:brick:

2. Many rides not functioning properly, RnRC, BTMRR.:eek:

3. PI is a disaster, Little/no live bands anymore.:veryconfu

These reasons may seem trivial but it simply costs too much versus other destinations when things aren't as they used to be. I can ride a roller coaster anywhere; when the music isn't functioning on RnRC it's just another ride. Disney was always about the show and they have lost that edge. If we take a Disney trip next year as we have for 10 years in a row it will be to Disneyland, maybe they care more about their guests.:hammer:

wannab@dis

Burgstressera said:
I have to agree with Yellow Shoes here. I am concerned with the current state of the parks and hotels.

When I was there is July, my husband and I rode HM in the evening right before the park closed. I was shocked at the amount of trash thrown on the floor as you boarded the Doom Buggies. I mean there was trash every where you looked. I was so upset. :cry:

That was caused by guests...

Burgstressera said:
Just about everytime I went into a public bathroom at the Yatch or Beach Club they were a wreck.

Again, the guests are the issue here.

Burgstressera said:
Epcot looks bad - chipped paint, dirty, stained carpets. Things are just old and worn throughout the park. It was disappointing to see my favorite place in such bad shape.

I was there in December and things didn't look that bad. Sure, there's always going to be some maintenance issues since so many people are going through the parks.

CTXRover

epcot2004 said:

These reasons may seem trivial but it simply costs too much versus other destinations when things aren't as they used to be. I can ride a roller coaster anywhere; when the music isn't functioning on RnRC it's just another ride. Disney was always about the show and they have lost that edge. If we take a Disney trip next year as we have for 10 years in a row it will be to Disneyland, maybe they care more about their guests.:hammer:

Was the rest of your trip good or was the whole trip filled with problems like your examples? I imagine, and hope, the good/great outweighed a few less than perfect incidences.

When did you check-in at PORS? You may have just hit a really busy time, although an hour does sound really long. Did they seem way too understaffed? Was the CM polite to you when you finally got to check-in or did he/she make matter worse?

I've yet to experience RnRC without sound, but I imagine it does happen from time to time. However, I have heard that if the sound doesn't work and you know to ask or tell them about it, usually they let you ride again without waiting. The only Disney coaster I've always had trouble with sound has been California Screamin' at DCA. I've yet to ride that coaster with its music :(

PI has been a disaster for a some time. There are a lot of rumors going around on ways to pump PI back up. It just wasn't the crowd drawer it once was for various reasons (even with the live bands outside) and they've tried several gimicks to get the streets busier at night (like pay as you go for clubs with free general admission), but it sounds like there are other plans to give PI back its edge. Hopefully that will happen sooner than later. The opening of the new Raglan Road Irish Restaurant/pub this week is hopefully just the start.

wannab@dis

epcot2004 said:

Slow check-in is always a bummer, but it happens sometimes when a lot of people show up. So far, we've been lucky with check-in and either they didn't have many people in line or they had plenty of staff to handle the onslaught. I've noticed that the agents tend to take a lot of time when people are checking in and attempt to really welcome them and try to answer all their questions. I know that customer service is important, but I wish more guests would utilize guest services for their questions instead of asking 100 questions when they check in. If they were understaffed, it's something that should be addressed by management.

Ride malfunctions happen at various times and we hear people complaining (including me when the ride goes down while I'm in line). We also hear people complain when they take the ride down for a rehab and general maintenance. There's a fine line that Disney has to tow between rehabs and keeping the rides going as long as possible without problems.

When problems like these happen on a vacation that we waited and saved for, they magnify our dissapointment. I don't think it means they care less about their guests than other places and I bet a well written letter to guest communications may lend results. Please take a few minutes and write them about your concerns and the problems you encountered.

macsmom

I think money would be my big problem, also. But, I realized that if I want to go, I have to save, even if it is for several years. People at work were so jealous last year when I went, then they found out I was working two jobs so I could go. Now, they are laughing at me because I booked for NEXT October (2006), but I have my room & ticket all paid for, I already have $600 to spend plus whatever I can save between now and then! Save, save, save. So we can spend, spend, spend at WDW! Oh, I also have 6 days that won't expire that I can spend on my next vacation...hopefully in 2007! :D

MickeyTigg

WhyteAL said:
Yes going to a park with an infant will not be a memorible trip for either of you. Trust me I made the mistake when my youngest daughter was 1 and I should not have. :brick: {-----That is what I felt like doing at the time.....

I'd have to disagree....we've gone with my youngest son was only a couple of weeks old and again when he was 1 and 2 and 3....you get the picture.

You can go with infants and toddlers and still have fun...we have. You just have to pace yourself to your child. No, you can't do WDW like if you didn't have kids, but when they're 5 years old you won't be able to either.

-----------------------

What would keep us away? That's hard to say....probably a severe downturn in service and lack up upkeep of the parks and resorts.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
It seems the two different primary responses are money and (to keep it simple) cleanliness.

There is an inherent problem with this, as you can't have it both ways. If you want it to be cheaper, then the WDW resort is going to have more problems with upkeep. If you want better upkeep, it is going to get more expensive. Disney has to walk the fine line of doing both, and I think they have done that very well, especially with the MYW tickets.

Previous to MYW, a 7 day park hopper, and 4 plusses was $364.24. Now a 7 day with no expiration, park hopper, and "water park fun and more" is $323.00. The same ticket, basically $40 cheaper. No other theme parks are lowering prices on tickets.

Now, room rates have gone up somewhat, but rack rates at every hotel in the country are going up. And as I said, you can't complain about the cost of the room per night and then also complain that the bathrooms at Yacht and Beach are dirty. They have to pay someone to clean that bathroom, and since the ticket prices are pretty much unchanged for the last few years, that cost is in the rack rates.

Its great to say what you want, but maybe now everyone will understand the situation Disney is in.

Dragonrider1227

lack of money or death. The first one happened to us at a year ago but made up for that about two months ago. :D and if death stopped me, i'd proboly still ahunt the place. ;)

wannab@dis

Thrawn said:
It seems the two different primary responses are money and (to keep it simple) cleanliness.

There is an inherent problem with this, as you can't have it both ways. If you want it to be cheaper, then the WDW resort is going to have more problems with upkeep. If you want better upkeep, it is going to get more expensive. Disney has to walk the fine line of doing both, and I think they have done that very well, especially with the MYW tickets.

Great post, Thrawn! :wave:

FrumiousBoojum

What's keeping me from going right now is time and money.

What would keep me from wanting to go forever? I think the entire complex would need to blow up... it'd be too sad to return. :(

lebeau

Thrawn said:

Previous to MYW, a 7 day park hopper, and 4 plusses was $364.24. Now a 7 day with no expiration, park hopper, and "water park fun and more" is $323.00. The same ticket, basically $40 cheaper. No other theme parks are lowering prices on tickets.

Now, room rates have gone up somewhat, but rack rates at every hotel in the country are going up. And as I said, you can't complain about the cost of the room per night and then also complain that the bathrooms at Yacht and Beach are dirty. They have to pay someone to clean that bathroom, and since the ticket prices are pretty much unchanged for the last few years, that cost is in the rack rates.

Its great to say what you want, but maybe now everyone will understand the situation Disney is in.

Thrawn, I completely agree. And the fact that money is one of the major things keeping me from going is NOT a complaint. I imagine Disney could raise their profits by raising prices even further before attendance dropped off to a point where it hurt them. I don't begrudge Disney dollar one. I consider the price to be fair or I wouldn't be willing to save up for it.

Tara Mae

Two things would keep me from going to Disney:

If they added another 'thrill' ride, such as an extremely fast roller coaster into which 'everyone loves!'.

Or if they took another classic ride like, say, "Peter Pan", and changed it. For the better, really. *rolls eyes*

WDWizard626

:rolleyes: Pretty much nothing would stop me. They could charge for you to go into rides, double the admission price, or give me horrible service, but nothing will stop me from returning to WDW! Give me Disney or Give me Death!!:animwink:

Epcot82Guy

CTXRover said:
I know SGE turned out to be a dud in most people's opinions and the current temporary replacement for the 10 year old defunct 20K ride was disappointing, but what other recent changes do you think were cheap or trite? I know everyone's likes and dislikes are different and there have been little changes here and there in entertainment that may be seen as a downgrade, but I think all these more recent changes were high quality stuff that outweighs the bad and all of which really don' seem to pander to just children:

Sorry for not replying sooner. I missed the post. Just to answer, the rides I think that have gone to the "cheap or trite" have been:

1. Tiki Room Under New Management
2. Stitch
3. Changing of the Akershus into a Princess Meal
4. The entirety of Main St. shops
5. JIYI and JIIwF
6. Imageworks
7. CTX's downgrade
8. To an extent Buzz Lightyear (although not NEARLY as much)

I think alot of mine are major concerns.
If the Seas comes out highly Nemo-ized
If SSE closes to become another thrill ride
If Brother Bear infiltrates Canada.

It's the loss of potential that is huge. If something can exist on its own, don't tie in a movie. That loses longevity IMHO. If something is one way now, don't replace it with a similar attraction, and try to make it better (like TT and certain MtoM to AE). The animated films are geared toward children, especially as of late. Therefore, tying everything nto them makes Disney World a huge advertisement. It loses that storytelling aspect the old attractions had. I think some new attractions have been outstanding. It's that the marketing is becoming so blatant, so required that it is no longer the place an adult can be a kid because everything reminds that adult to BUY BUY BUY. That is where it is coming from.

Dragonrider1227

Buzz Lightyear CHeap or trite? HA! And as for the "Enchanted Tiki Room under new management" Honestly when I was little, the old Tiki Room bored me. The singing birds were kinda fun at first but it bored me in the end. I liked the new version alot better and if people stopped coming what would you prefer? A re-engineered version of the old? Or replacing the old all together? I think Disney made a smart move. However, I do agree with you on every ride exiting through a gift shop. That got kinda annoying to me as well. Especially since alot of them were selling the same stuff. X_X But think about where it's all going. Not just into some mindless corporation's pockets. (Though i'm sure a good deal of it does) I look at it and think that with the way times are, I prefer this over jacking up admission price.

Christina

Besides physical ailments or family problems, I'd say the main thing that would keep me from going to Disney would be money. Which ISN'T a complaint - I personally feel admission prices and hotel prices are perfectly fair. You pay for the experience, and for 98.9% of the people, the EXPERIENCE is what they take away.

It's just for a University student who makes barely enough to pay her housing, HEAT (soo worried about this one over here... MAN CANADA'S COLD), electronics and student fees, it's much too expensive for me right now. In fact the only reason I AM going back in the next 18 months is I won a trip...well my brother won it, but I'm going along with him.

So, to recap, I'm not complaining about the prices, I think if you know what your doing with two to three attractions you get your admission worth, and with an excellent night out on the Boardwalk, you get your moneys worth. It's just not in my budget... it will be, just not now. :wave:

wdwishes2005

Tara Mae said:
Two things would keep me from going to Disney:

If they added another 'thrill' ride, such as an extremely fast roller coaster into which 'everyone loves!'.

why does everyone think that because disney added one thrill ride since '94 ( i dont really count MS, just makes ppl sick or bores ppl) that all they want to build are thrill rides? think about it, we have- MS,RnRC,ToT, and maybe on a longshot Splash. as opposed to- maelstrom, el rio del tiempo,soarin'TT,UOE,JYI,SGE,CoP,HM,Indy cars,Philharmagic,POTC,Pooh,space mountain( may or may not be, depending on your stance),TTA,Dumbo,TGMR,Kilimanjaro safaris, ITTBAB,Kali, and dino( again depending on your defintition of thrill.) lets see thats 4 to at least 20. wow, disney sure is going overboard by -gasp- appealing to teenagers:rolleyes: .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom