WFTV: Brawl between 3 guests at Epcot caught on video

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Just from the other side of the equation, we actually had to sue our schoolboard as my then 8 year old son was jumped by three ten year olds. They kicked him in the ribs andhead repeatedly. One kid even hit him in the face with a tree branch. All while the recess supervisor watched because she was not allowed to get involved.

The good news is that the school board will be paying for his counseling for many years.
The bad is that he had to change schools and even now is terrified in public of complete lack of safety. So they got sued either way....

I can tell you which no win situation i choose every time.

Ugh. Sorry to hear about that. That's messed up.

nelsonj3

Just from the other side of the equation, we actually had to sue our schoolboard as my then 8 year old son was jumped by three ten year olds. They kicked him in the ribs andhead repeatedly. One kid even hit him in the face with a tree branch. All while the recess supervisor watched because she was not allowed to get involved.

The good news is that the school board will be paying for his counseling for many years.
The bad is that he had to change schools and even now is terrified in public of complete lack of safety. So they got sued either way....

I can tell you which no win situation i choose every time.

Totally agree. I always choose the safety of the students and worry about consequences later. Sorry to hear about your son. I always stop fights if I feel that I can do so without my own safety being threatened. I'm an average sized guy, so it's usually not an issue (except with high school boys).

R W B

I've watched the video more than I should and really can't assign any blame to either party (as they both seemed in the wrong and full of 'tude). I think the mom should have told her teen to back off (it's hard to tell if the argument was between both the mom and teen and the other lady, or just the teen because of when the video starts).

They both were in the wrong, and due to angle and focus issues, you can't tell if the brolly attack was in defense for something else (like the other lady may have pushed her daughter). You really can't tell, and I'm sure both sides will lie.

So, with that said, you are correct. Trash. All of them. Eject from the park. Have a magical day (said in that dripping sweet tone that lets you know the CM really hates your guts).
The mother should of never got physical with her other small children there. I don't care if she was hit first, she has small children with her and they should of been her first priority, not tag team with her teenage daughter in a street fight'esk altercation against the other women. Ridiculous.

You are right though, both parties are definitely to blame here.

NiarrNDisney

In all seriousness, I'm no prude by any stretch of the imagination, but less and less people have any dignity and class in our society. I've noticed that it isn't limited to a certain type of economic background, people are just becoming trashier no matter the background.

We had reservations on tap for a particular resort in the fall and after some consideration, we changed over to another resort as the clientele experience is a lot different at the two resorts. I don't care to be around the pretentious stuffy types, but I certainly don't feel like being part of the Jerry Springer audience.

I blame Reality Television!!!

bhg469

I blame Reality Television!!!
I don't think that is too far off. For years the worst parts of our society is featured as entertainment. Between the Kardashians and the Various "wives" shows its no wonder why our society is going down the toilet. Family values are considered taboo and trashy entitled behavior is the norm...

What a depressing thought...

Rutt

Ugh. Sorry to hear about that. That's messed up.
Yes it is, and sadly, its becoming more and more common. They want to eliminate bullying but allow stuff like this. My son was even suspended for a day because they have a zero tolerance policy and he kicked one of the kids while he was on the ground. It was a great, great story about humanity.
Totally agree. I always choose the safety of the students and worry about consequences later. Sorry to hear about your son. I always stop fights if I feel that I can do so without my own safety being threatened. I'm an average sized guy, so it's usually not an issue (except with high school boys).
Taking reasonable steps exactly. Regardless, the answer is NEVER to stand and watch. If I cant break up a fight on my own, Im usually surprised by how many people standing around shouting 'fight, fight fight' are also quick to offer to help break it up. Sorry, hockey and soccer coach in my spare time, so fighting is something we get used to, sadly most of it by the parents.

Florida is a Right to Work state, so frankly, legally, a suit like that would be a very long road to walk down.
Souds kinda ridiculous to me, but such is the world I guess.

BrerWayne

Complete and utter disgrace that they were not asked to leave the park. Shame on Disney.
Totally agree. Part of the reason I pay through the nose to take my children to Disney is because it is safe and it is a family place where I can shield them from the ugly realities of the world. I live in New Orleans, and after what happened in Lafayette last week, Im nervous about taking the kids to the movies, I should not have to be worried about taking them to Disney. Sad.

nelsonj3

Yes it is, and sadly, its becoming more and more common. They want to eliminate bullying but allow stuff like this. My son was even suspended for a day because they have a zero tolerance policy and he kicked one of the kids while he was on the ground. It was a great, great story about humanity.
Wow. I can't believe he was suspended for defending himself. That is just unacceptable. Common sense is always the key in applying and enforcing rules. Obviously it wasn't used in your son's situation. I'm glad at least that the School Board will have to answer for this mistake.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Wow. I can't believe he was suspended for defending himself. That is just unacceptable. Common sense is always the key in applying and enforcing rules. Obviously it wasn't used in your son's situation. I'm glad at least that the School Board will have to answer for this mistake.
Happened to me as a kid. Bully attacked me. I didnt fight back. Earned the nickname "martin Luther King" based on it. The school suspended is both equally due to a "no tolirance policy". It isnt new at all, this was 20+ years ago.

Vegas Disney Fan

It's ridiculous we even have to wonder if the CM got in trouble, no company should punish someone for protecting another from harm in the way he did! He should be protected under good Samaritan laws and not have to worry about lawsuits and loss of employment... Period! There is already physical risks with stepping in to break up a fight, lawsuits and job loss shouldn't be added on top of that or we become a nation of savages. If a punch is thrown (by the intervenor) it's totally different but simply restraining and seperating the fighters should be rewarded, not punished. I understand why companies have these policies, stepping in is dangerous and could easily escalate into the employee throwing punches to protect himself, but we should protect and reward those who do the right thing, not punish them.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
The only problem i have with this stance is that we have no idea what led to this situation.
I honestly have no sympathy for them, it really doesn't matter what was said. Be the better person and walk away.

My wife and I had a run in with a mother and her child in line at Big Thunder, because she said we rushing her so she couldn't get a picture with her son. Well she started cursing up a storm, in front of her son no less, and started to get really angry/agitated at us. Did we slap the crap out of the lady, no, we let a few people go ahead of us to diffuse the entire situation. Pride is childish, and when you can't reel that in, incidents like these occur.

Rutt

I honestly have no sympathy for them, it really doesn't matter what was said. Be the better person and walk away.

My wife and I had a run in with a mother and her child in line at Big Thunder, because she said we rushing her so she couldn't get a picture with her son. Well she started cursing up a storm, in front of her son no less, and started to get really angry/agitated at us. Did we slap the crap out of the lady, no, we let a few people go ahead of us to diffuse the entire situation. Pride is childish, and when you can't reel that in, incidents like these occur.
I was thinking more of the person being umbrella'd

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom