West Side Parking Garage construction

mm121

Honestly, given all the arrows and lanes in that "service road" entrance from the intersection, and how the current garage entrance/exit is structured, it looks to me like the "service" road is likely the garage/lot entrance from that intersection and will take you around to the other side of the garage to enter it or the parking lot on the other side. It looks like the current entrance/exit is designed to really handle outgoing traffic entirely once everything is completed. They wouldn't have 4 lanes with traffic markings like that if the intent is only for service traffic.
agreed, no way they would of spent all the money for the access buildings if this was going to be a gated service road

those arrows are either for a taxi stand or valet parking most likely

WDWtraveler

Here is the view of the "service road" parallel to the parking garage from under the walkway of the first pedestrian access building to the second pedestrian access building near Splitsville. Even with the movable planter boxes removed, the road width is only two lanes, just big enough for two semi-tractor trailers. Several openings are along the length of the parking garage for pedestrian emergency exits out of the garage, so I don't think this road will be a major vehicle throughway or entrance. Just my thoughts based on what I see here.

img_5205-jpg.89090

halltd

those arrows are either for a taxi stand or valet parking most likely

From this image, I would agree that this area appears to be a taxi stand or valet parking entrance. I'm guessing most likely taxi stand as there's only a single lane (going West on BVD) that can even turn into this "entrance". Notice that left turns into this entrance from BVD will be prohibited in the future. This appears to mainly be an exit that feeds all exiting traffic towards Disney property and Epcot Center Drive only.

I'll add that you can exit the garage in the lower right corner, go up a ramp, over BVD, and then enter back onto BVD East if you want to head that way.

vemCaSo.png

Last edited:

LL2WDW

From this image, I would agree that this area appears to be a taxi stand or valet parking entrance. I'm guessing most likely taxi stand as there's only a single lane (going West on BVD) that can even turn into this "entrance". Notice that left turns into this entrance from BVD will be prohibited in the future. This appears to mainly be an exit that feeds all exiting traffic towards Disney property and Epcot Center Drive only.

vemCaSo.png

That map is amazing. I just spent 20 minutes imaging what it will be like to drive in this new area. It gives me one more reason to really appreciate the civil engineering that is involved with this project.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, April 30. The main pedestrian access building to the West Side parking garage will open on Monday, May 4. The final touches for landscaping are being completed. In the below photo, a new construction wall is being added to face the access building plaza. The existing temporary walkway to Downtown Disney between the construction walls will then be behind the new wall as construction expands. The new access building plaza will open directly towards Planet Hollywood and the water fountain plaza in front of AMC Dine-in Theatres.

IMG_5346.JPG

IMG_5347.JPG

Landscaping is also nearing completion at the alternate pedestrian access building between Splitsville and AMC Theatres. With work continuing inside this building, my opinion is this building will open within a few days of the main pedestrian access building.

IMG_5385.JPG

articos

Honestly, given all the arrows and lanes in that "service road" entrance from the intersection, and how the current garage entrance/exit is structured, it looks to me like the "service" road is likely the garage/lot entrance from that intersection and will take you around to the other side of the garage to enter it or the parking lot on the other side. It looks like the current entrance/exit is designed to really handle outgoing traffic entirely once everything is completed. They wouldn't have 4 lanes with traffic markings like that if the intent is only for service traffic.
That section is separate from the entry/exit lanes to the garage, and is a turnaround loop for pick up and drop off by the theater. It accesses both the road between the garage and DD and has a turn-in from the entry road going to the garage. It is not exclusively a service road per se, although it does access the gated service yard areas.

Last edited:

articos

I'll add that you can exit the garage in the lower right corner, go up a ramp, over BVD, and then enter back onto BVD East if you want to head that way.

vemCaSo.png
Right, there is a wrong way separated lane that gives access back to BV Dr via the opposite ramp. This will expedite exiting traffic back to Hotel Plaza and Saratoga. Under the entry ramp is the opposite exit roadway heading west on BV Dr from the garage.

RayTheFirefly

I find it interesting that they're still using Downtown Disney everywhere. Are they waiting for everything to be finished before the name change?

Slipknot

The pedestial walkway between AMC and Splitsville was open on Thursday. I'm glad that access to West Side is open again.

halltd

I wasn't overly concerned about the look of the garage (even though I never liked it) until I was at Disney Springs Friday night. When you're walking from the old Pleasure Island section towards the garage, the lighting coming from the garage is absolutely atrocious. It looks like a building still under construction with temp lighting in it but it's all finished lighting. Really disappointing. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom