West Nile Virus

MicBat

Original Poster
For those of you who live in the south, like I do, you've probably heard the the West Nile Virus (carried by mosquitos, fatal if not cared for properly). But anyway... Early this summer (in about June) a friend of mine went up to WDW for a week. On one of the last days there, he became extremely ill. Turns out, he had gotton WNV from WDW. So anyone planning to visit WDW during "mosquito season," be sure to bring your insect repelent!!

Dredd15

Actually, West Nile isn't isolated to the South. I live in Michigan and we have had a few cases ourselves this year. I don't believe any of them have been fatal, but it is definitely a frightening prospect.

We are going to Disney in THREE WEEKS on our Honeymoon! We can't wait. When is "mosquito season" in FL?

Jason

The Mom

Premium Member
Mosquito season is Spring - Fall, sometimes in winter, if it's mild. ;) Mild by Florida standards...the winters are always mild compared to the rest of the country. So, in 3 weeks it will still be mosquito season. Quite frankly, I didn't notice any when I was there earlier this month, but I also wasn't outside at dusk/dawn very much. That's apparently when they are at their worst. At home, I do make my son put repellent on if he MUST go out at those times.

Interestingly, I just read a CDC report which states that I'm in the "prime" fatality age group! :eek:

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by The Mom
Mosquito season is Spring - Fall, sometimes in winter, if it's mild. ;) Mild by Florida standards...the winters are always mild compared to the rest of the country. So, in 3 weeks it will still be mosquito season. Quite frankly, I didn't notice any when I was there earlier this month, but I also wasn't outside at dusk/dawn very much. That's apparently when they are at their worst. At home, I do make my son put repellent on if he MUST go out at those times.

Interestingly, I just read a CDC report which states that I'm in the "prime" fatality age group! :eek:

You're much more likely to get killed on I-4 travelling to/from the airport. ;)

Darn it! Hit the wrong button again! :lol:

tenchu

I really never got bothered by mosquitoes while i was at WDW. Only a couple of wee bites.
I would assume that Disney does a lot to prevent mosquitoes, such as draining still water, putting fish in the lakes??

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by tenchu
I really never got bothered by mosquitoes while i was at WDW. Only a couple of wee bites.
I would assume that Disney does a lot to prevent mosquitoes, such as draining still water, putting fish in the lakes??

They know better than to bother YOU, Sporran Boy! ;)

no2apprentice

I'm not sure, but I think I remember reading that the high risk people are those with a weak immune system: namely, the very elderly (not you, Mom), the sick, or those with a disease or disorder that has weakened the immune system. Left untreated in the healthy, it can cause severe complications. Best advise I heard was if you start to experience flu like symptoms, head for the doctor, pronto!

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by no2apprentice
I'm not sure, but I think I remember reading that the high risk people are those with a weak immune system: namely, the very elderly (not you, Mom), the sick, or those with a disease or disorder that has weakened the immune system. Left untreated in the healthy, it can cause severe complications. Best advise I heard was if you start to experience flu like symptoms, head for the doctor, pronto!

But the report said "the elderly (those 50 and over)"....:cry: It must have been written by a some twentysomething! ;)

goofyguy

Not to downplay the seriousness of West Nile, but there are many other mosquito borne illnesses that affect and kill more people every year than West Nile ... it just happens to be the "flavor of the month" because it's something new. In other words, you're no more at risk from dying after being bitten by a mosquito today that you were say 10 years ago. In fact, it's believed that many, many more people have contracted West Nile (as well as the other diseases) than has been reported, it just that the people never knew they had it.

Now that doesn't mean you shouldn't protect yourself. Very few people are killed by lightning each year, but I'm not standing under a tree during a thunderstorm. I just think all the media attention is unnecessarily worrying people. Just like last year when they over-reported shark attacks, even though they were lower than previous years.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by The Mom

But the report said "the elderly (those 50 and over)"....:cry: It must have been written by a some twentysomething! ;)

HI mom:wave:

I was going to post this question yesterday...but I did not want people to think I was paranoid ;)

How are the mosquitos in FL in September?
Plus....I am staying at PO-FQ (right by the river).....so that cant be good... :lookaroun

We also have several cases of west nile here in the burbs and city. A man here in DuPage county just past away last thursday. And...I have not seen these for like the past 10 years...those fogging trucks...spaying masssive cloulds of that fog to kill the buggs..last week..passed by my house twice....and I had all the windows open... :hurl:

Cosmo

As far as I know based on news reports and CDC information, there hasn't been a human case of west nile in florida this year! (several livestock and bird cases though) The only person in FL diagnosed with it actually contracted it while on a visit to New Orleans.

West Nile IS the "flavor of the week" and i'd be much more concerned with heat stroke, lightning strikes, and deranged homicidal maniacs (not to mention malaria, dengue fever, rabies from a rabid squirrel, and bubonic plague) than west nile.

FutureCEO

West Nile Virus has been in the Northeast for years. In fact, last year they found a dead crow with WNV on my school's grounds. Don't kill your fun just because of some mosquitos.

AliciaLuvzDizne

Originally posted by DMC-12

And...I have not seen these for like the past 10 years...those fogging trucks...spaying masssive cloulds of that fog to kill the buggs..last week..passed by my house twice....and I had all the windows open... :hurl:

OMG please please please please please everyone try to find out when they will be "fogging" and stay inside and keep windows shut or get out of the area... that stuff is worse than the threat of the bugs!!!

(i took environmental classes last semester, you dont wanna know all the yucky stuff i learned in it...)

kaos

Deet it harmless to humans... supposedly.. from what I've learned in school..

:hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl:

Dwarful

Well I don't think you will be able to avoid west nile anywhere...on the news this morning we here in the stlouis area had our first human death from wnv. But we have had 8 verified cases here in Mo/Il area. Not particular about age either as two that are in hosp are college aged girls, a couple of 40 somethings and the others over 50. the woman who died was 72 I believe....my point is..those darn bugs are everywhere....seems like...just put on the bug spray and have fun!

jcmayid

Actually Disney is on top of stocking fish in the lake to combat bugs, also they release predatory bugs to combat it also. JUST AN FYI

MicBat

Original Poster
Down here in southern Louisiana, there have been something like 75 cases and 10 deaths or something like that. The only way it could be fatal, though, is if nothing is done. There's no need for worry, though. I work an outdoor job and haven't contracted the virus. Just take minimal precautions and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom