West Nile Virus

cuteypatooty78

Like some people have said, the threat of contracting the disease is extremely small according to the CDC website and the chance of dying from it is even smaller. Only 1% of mosquito's carry WNV. I would wear bug spray but my mother insists I don't due to my muscular dystrophy...she's afraid the DEET may hurt me more then getting WNV...I beg to differ....oh well...like I said my chances are small that I'll get it. :)

BradleyJ

Originally posted by MicBat
Early this summer (in about June) a friend of mine went up to WDW for a week. On one of the last days there, he became extremely ill. Turns out, he had gotton WNV from WDW. So anyone planning to visit WDW during "mosquito season," be sure to bring your insect repelent!!

That's odd, becuase according the the news last week.

The only reported case in Central Florida, was determined to have been contracted in Louisiana.

They haven'T even detected the virus yet the "Sentinal Chikens" yet here in Orange County

So it is really unlikely that the person "Caught" the desease in WDW.

no2apprentice

For people who have problems (or concerns) about DEET, I think they have herbal repellants on the market. Now whether or not they work is another story.:confused:

erring

WNV & Bug Spray

Hi All... Just my $.02... :drevil:

Thing is with WNV, your chances of getting cancer and dying from the bug stray is more likely than being bit by an infected bug and then having a reaction which leads to death. I'm a fan of DEET, but only in limitation and usually when I'm out in the woods hiking... but the only reason I use it is that I cant stand being bit by the little critters. :eek:

As far as the fogging goes... well, I think people should read Silent Spring again.... remember that book... anyone... anyone... well, your more likely to eventually increase the percentage of bugs that have the disease (over the long run), cause injury to the other benefitial creatures of the world, and increase our risk of cancer... (again, probably higher than our chances of getting WNV and dying). :hammer:

I feel bad for the people who have gotten the disease, but would hate to see places like Disney and other communities fog to have a temporary decrease in the number of bugs... better to eliminate standing water and release benefitial (native) preditors in the area. :brick:

Again just my $.02.

Erring

Three months til Disney Land and Cruise

AliciaLuvzDizne

Re: WNV & Bug Spray

Originally posted by erring

As far as the fogging goes... well, I think people should read Silent Spring again.... remember that book... anyone... anyone... well, your more likely to eventually increase the percentage of bugs that have the disease (over the long run), cause injury to the other benefitial creatures of the world, and increase our risk of cancer... (again, probably higher than our chances of getting WNV and dying). :hammer:

YES I READ Silent Spring also
very important book
"and no birds sing"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom